PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 3.5 Optimization + Flavor Help - 10th level with Vampire Template

rennyn
2017-07-04, 01:43 PM
So I've got a campaign coming up with some fun stuff available, and I'm having trouble coming up with some good ideas and hoping creative folks here can help. I'm looking for a fun mix of optimization and flavor without going too crazy (not a fan of builds that are like 5 different classes, with 3 substitutions that are totally ineffective out of their niche, etc)

There's a few house rules that have a good chance of making this interesting beyond the norm:
Vampire template (per d20srd) for free
Every 4 levels you get +1 to 2 abilities instead of 1
A few class houserules:
- Sorcerer: Free eschew materials, free metamagic or heritage feats at 5 and every 5 after
- Monk: Full BAB, most features of Swashbuckler added, several free Exotic Melee Weapon Proficiencies
- Psychic Warrior: Full BAB
- Arcane Archer: Per Pathfinder class rather than 3.5E

Starting level 10
32 point buy (But because of Vampire template, Con effectively must start at 10 before it goes away)
Race can be anything compatible with undead/vamp template (and LA still applies to these, of course)
Note: Vampire template is technically not applied until 10th level, so no classes or races that are based off undead unless it is for future leveling

So far we might be a little Fighter or Psychic Warrior (people probably eager to cash in on free +6 Str).

Any thoughts or suggestions? Anything you've got is much appreciated! Obviously there's a ton of possibilities and I've been playing with a lot, but I feel like I'm missing some cool flavor+optimization when it comes to making use of that vamp template and class house rules - I also lack deep knowledge of a lot of the non-core books, so there's probably a ton I don't even know about.

Buddy76
2017-07-04, 03:12 PM
How about Dread Necromancer from Heroes of Horror? It offers a lot of flexibility, with full casting, ability to cast in light armor, proficiency with one martial weapon, rebuke undead, a fear aura and a scaling at will negative energy touch attack (that harms the living and heals undead, including you).

Find a way to add diplomacy to your skill list (maybe take the Noble Born feat from Dragon 333) and you can also be the party face, since charisma is your casting stat and you already have bluff as a class skill.

Now you can emulate lots of classical vampire tropes, such as being charming, having lots of minions, scaring people using supernatural powers and being tougher than you look, even though melee is not your specialty

Dread Necromancer 20 is a perfectly viable build, but if you want to emphasize your mind powers you can take a level of Mindbender (complete arcane) and/or 5 levels of Dread Witch (also from Herroes of Horror).

Here's a guide to the class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?214212-Reanimated-Dread-Necromancer-Handbook)

Fouredged Sword
2017-07-04, 04:00 PM
With full bab psywar seems really tempting. A huge vampire... Sounds like fun.

As for race, you want a swim speed to avoid the whole cannot cross water problem.

rennyn
2017-07-04, 05:33 PM
Good suggestion on the Dread anecdote, sadly someone is already going that route it seems. Any other thoughts?

And interesting idea on the swim speed - if nothing else makes sense to look at cheap magic items to help there.

ATHATH
2017-07-04, 08:52 PM
Go Psychic Rogue, perhaps?