PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Combat Fighting Style

WaggleDagger
2017-07-04, 03:28 PM
I'm DMing for a group and someone wants to play as the Dark Lord himself, Ganondorf. This is all fine and dandy (Oathbreaker Paladin) but Ganondorf is clearly proficient using his fists (super smash bros) as well as bladed weapons. This leads me to my question. Should there be an Unarmed Combat Fighting Style available for Paladin, Fighter, and Ranger?

Sure, Monks are the unarmed combat masters, but that's no reason to throw out "Gerard the Holy Fist" or "Kini, Huntress of the Palm", or other such characters.

What would you recommend the Unarmed Fighting Style include?

Waazraath
2017-07-04, 03:50 PM
Difficult. From a balance perspective, it should be a viable option compared to a using a zweihander or sword & board. But having do just as much as damage seems silly from a 'realism' point of view. Maybe something to ugrade the damage a little, and give other small advantages? Like the tavern brawler feat does. Mhh, is that an option? Fighting style "unarmed": you gain the tavern brawler feat.

Dudewithknives
2017-07-04, 04:01 PM
Unarmed style: your unarmed strikes do one die higher, (1 becomes 1d4, 1d4 becomes 2d6, ect), damage than normal, and may do slashing, bludgeoning or piercing damage, you choose what damage type when you make the attack roll.

The issue u have is that monks don't get a fighting style. Arguably, they should be all about different styles.

Vaz
2017-07-04, 04:02 PM
Tavern Brawler feat.

suplee215
2017-07-04, 04:06 PM
Will Kensei Monk suit this? I forget if Gannondorf is usually wearing armor or not so maybe not. I say tavern brawler is the best way to do it, especially as Gannondorf using his fist is not in the games as much as it is Smash.

Lombra
2017-07-04, 04:44 PM
I get that he wants him from the smash games but in reality ganondorf is just a pretty buff caster, probably warlock (maybe even a druid), and indeed uses a sword (not only to taunt) in some zelda games.

Anyways, you could homebrew a knuckleduster weapon to use for him: d6 martial bludgeoning light, and you are done. The rest is pure flavour.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-07-04, 05:03 PM
Tavern Brawler kind of covers this already, methinks, but I could see a fighting style-- increasing the die by one step, as Dudewithknives suggested, and allow you to make an off-hand attack as a bonus action and add your ability modifier. Just note that it doesn't stack with the Monk's Martial Arts. That leaves you about one damage die below weapon-based TWF (1d4, or 1d6 if you take Tavern Brawler, vs 1d6 or 1d8 with Dual Wielder), which I think is roughly fair.

You could also maybe do "if you attack with a light or one-handed weapon, you may make an unarmed strike as a bonus action, dealing 1d4+Str," which roughly parallels a Monk 1.

Specter
2017-07-04, 05:15 PM
You mean a level of monk or Tavern Brawler don't please you? In that case, sure - just turn the damage into 1d4 instead of 1.