PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Integrating in a new group

mms
2017-07-04, 05:02 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm starting at the end of the month with an on-going 5e group. Since I'm coming in the middle of a campaign, I'd like to bring a character that would mesh well with the party.
The party currently consists of a Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, Wizard, Storm Sorcerer and Hunter. The DM is open to all 5e sources barring homebrew stuff, so UA and all are permitted.

I will be starting at level 3, and my initial idea was to play a gish type character (Hexblade 1/ Stone Sorc X) or a pure Hexblade. My problem with the Hexblade is that no other class on the current party seems that would benefit from short rests, so not sure if a pure Hexblade would not feel gimped or too restricted on spell slots. And i'm actually not sure if a gish character would really mingle well with this current party. Anyone have any suggestion/advice? I would like to have some off-combat utility, but my focus would indeed be combat.

Thank you in advance for any precious suggestions!

Marvnmartian
2017-07-04, 10:00 PM
Hello everyone!

The party currently consists of a Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, Wizard, Storm Sorcerer and Hunter.

jesus what a big party... ok level 3 im going to assume a few things, the hunter has got perception, the rogue has got your stealth, the cleric has your support and healing, the sorc and fighter are your dpr, and the wizard fills in the gaps.

so what would help a party that has all of this.. imo a druid or bard. druid for bear shenanigans and just constant spell choices that could make the party pretty well rounded to the point where im a little sorry for the dm that they have to make encounters for it.

the bard is my favorite class in that it can do everything. but going into such a well balanced class party it would mean you could specialize into the cracks of the group. find what the group is missing before you start the session and im sure you can have a bard layout that will fill that hole.

furby076
2017-07-04, 10:07 PM
Here is the thing about rests...Adventurers take them as often as the dm lets them. So you need to learn if the dm is generous with short rests. Having a pc who can recharge will greatly improve the groups sustainability.

As for integrating. Be nice, dont be domineering/demanding of the group. If your character hates orcs, thats cool, bug dont derail the game to hunt an orc (unless its relevant ). Be a cool player, and your new group will love u. Its a big enough party where u can be free to do whatever