PDA

View Full Version : Made my bard! Need some advice on tweaking or mistakes.

CrackedChair
2017-07-04, 06:48 PM
I got around to making my Bard at last, but this is my first one, so I might need a bit of help on mistakes or tweaking if possible...

Character- https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1FXcXv1VrOdSk11NU1LYmdqSzA

Details- https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1FXcXv1VrOdZmJCNVhQRlpFQ00

Spells- https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1FXcXv1VrOdNWVPLXRBSzhiWUE

Any help on tweaking, mistakes, or roleplaying will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

dnd2016
2017-07-04, 07:04 PM
Attack from the back row with a crossbow. Swap out Thunder wave for Fieri fire, Advantage for your team is a lot better than you being In Harm's Way on front line.

nickl_2000
2017-07-04, 07:16 PM
Do you happen to know the other PC classes or the roles you are filling? That would very helpful

CrackedChair
2017-07-04, 07:39 PM
Attack from the back row with a crossbow. Swap out Thunder wave for Fieri fire, Advantage for your team is a lot better than you being In Harm's Way on front line.

Er, alright. I will do that.

Do you happen to know the other PC classes or the roles you are filling? That would very helpful

I don't know, right now I am just making character sheets for characters to use.

Marvnmartian
2017-07-04, 09:47 PM
Any help on tweaking, mistakes, or roleplaying will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Say it with me loud and proud all halflings across the realms... Minor illusion...

Minor illusion you create an image of an object—such as a chair, muddy footprints, or a small chest—it must be no larger than a 5-foot cube.

You know who isnt taller then 5 feet.. you are little man so make your self a box with sight holes and sit in that bitch and shoot arrows until they use their action to determine that the box indeed fake thus wasting a round of possibly more then 1 enemy if the creatures arn't too bright. I have used it with vicious mockery and made them focus on me while also not being able to see me its a fun time all around.

also bards always can take a single level dip into cleric so just keep it in mind that maybe the best plan for starting your bard is actually to be starting a level 1 cleric and then picking up the lute.

CrackedChair
2017-07-04, 09:58 PM
Say it with me loud and proud all halflings across the realms... Minor illusion...

Minor illusion you create an image of an object—such as a chair, muddy footprints, or a small chest—it must be no larger than a 5-foot cube.

You know who isnt taller then 5 feet.. you are little man so make your self a box with sight holes and sit in that bitch and shoot arrows until they use their action to determine that the box indeed fake thus wasting a round of possibly more then 1 enemy if the creatures arn't too bright. I have used it with vicious mockery and made them focus on me while also not being able to see me its a fun time all around.

also bards always can take a single level dip into cleric so just keep it in mind that maybe the best plan for starting your bard is actually to be starting a level 1 cleric and then picking up the lute.

Ah, alright. That sounds reasonable for hiding. Thank you!

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-07-04, 10:51 PM
Your character and mine have similar stat lines. It will be neat to see where you take your character.

Go to the store and buy some studded leather armor. I think it boosts your armor class by 1 with no penalties except maybe susceptibility to "heat metal" depending on DM.

At Level 3 are you going "lore" or "valor" Bard?

nickl_2000
2017-07-05, 07:15 AM
The ideal of solidarity is a a bit odd compared with you bonds. You like to be alone, but you wish to use his gift to bring smiles? I'm not saying it is impossible, but a Bard (a social class) being a loner is still odd.

Weapons
You don't have any sort of range attack other than Vicious Mockery. While VM is a very good spell, the range is limited and the damage is low. If you have an enemy running away 1d4 damage and imposing disadvantage on an attack isn't as good as putting a crossbow bolt in their back for 1d8+3 damage. Honestly, I would trade out the Rapier from the starting gear for C option (any simple weapon) of a Light Crossbow. Your AC is only 14 right now, you don't want to be in the middle of combat is you can avoid it. As someone else said, getting studded leather armor as soon as possible will help you out a lot too. Then if you are in hand to hand combat, you either use the dagger or VM the creature and run away.

For spells
Personally I like Tasha's Hideous Laughter over Dissonant Whispers, there is no damage to it, but Tasha's has out of combat utility as well. You should also consider Charm Person instead of either of those. Charm Person is an amazingly useful spell, and it gets even better if you can pick up an Instrument of the Bards. Even if you don't take it at level 1, I would consider it at level 2 when you add another spell.