PDA

View Full Version : A weird (game mechanic) idea

qube
2017-07-05, 02:56 AM
backstory: I always felt that psionics, while a type of spellcasting, should be ... different. So, with this in mind, I was considering the following. (and yes, I'm aware of the UA psion... meh)

Disclaimer: while typically it's the wizard decides who decides for himself how effective he is (when to only use cantrips, and when to burn his high level spells), the effectiveness of this mechanic is more dependant on the situation. This is not for everyone, but please don't reason "I don't like this, so nobody does" )

ability

telepathy: 30 ft

DC's are intelligence based (DC 8 + prof + your int mod)

brain leech
As an action, chose an ability score (lets say strength); an enemy within telepathic range makes a strength saving throw. if it fails it gets disadvantage on it's next strength saving throw, strength check or strength-based attack roll before the end of your next turn. It also gains a brain leech for strength if it had non already.

As bonus action, you can activate a number of brain leeches, destroying them in the process. This gives the affected creature one level of temporary exhaustion. At the beginning of each of the affected creature's turns, one level of temporary exhaustion is removed.

Taking an hour of rest removes one brain leech (of the ability with the highest score first). So, a long rest, being 8 hours, removes all of them

The exhaustion table is

1 Disadvantage on Ability Checks
2 Speed halved
3 Disadvantage on Attack rolls and saving throws
4 Hit point maximum halved
5 Speed reduced to 0
6 Death

In practice this means
a small status effect at will. Repeating it on the attack stat (like strength) creates something akin vicious mockery without damage.

'quick' uses

'burning' 1 successful hit gives the monster Disadvantage on Ability Checks till it acts
'burning' 2 successful hits gives for Disadvantage on Ability Checks for a round

'longer' uses

if the monster you target for 5th or 6th rounds in combat (the time required to get him to fail 4 saves of different ability scores), and has more then half hp, you can reduce it to half hp; and give it disadvantage on Attack rolls and saving throws during his turn
(a powerful ability ... if the monster was at full hp; if it was damaged, or heck, damaged

'longest' uses

if the monster you target for 8th or 9th rounds in combat (the time required to get him to fail 6 saves of different ability scores), you can kill it (if it can die of exhaustion; I can see a DM ruling certain monsters can't).

I think this is relatively balanced, but a second (or, like, fifty :) ) set of eyes could be helpful (with it being a decent amount off the beaten path, these things aren't so cut and clear to guage).

N810
2017-07-05, 12:44 PM
I think balance depends on how many charges you start with...
and what levels you get a higher maximum...
You might also consider what your maximum DC save with maxed out stats... it may be a bit high.

I think there might have to be a penalty if you use a lot at once,
like a DC roll to see if you gain an exhaustion level yourself.

coolAlias
2017-07-05, 11:19 PM
My opinion, for what it's worth:

As DM or player, I wouldn't want to have to track the number of brain leeches on even a single enemy, let alone multiple.
Exhaustion is too punitive of a condition to be able to apply effectively at will - since the ability is telepathic, I can see this being massively abused outside of combat
On the other hand, it seems to be vastly underwhelming in combat: most creatures are dead in 2-3 rounds, during which time your character is basically being less effective than even the bard doing nothing but casting vicious mockery