PDA

View Full Version : Rock On!

Neon Knight
2007-08-06, 03:10 PM
So, I'm getting into a game. The setting is something along the lines of the real present day world accidentally fusing with a fantasy world. Dragons appear in the sky and people gain magic and stuff.

I have thus decided to create a bard that uses an electric guitar playing mainly hard rock and heavy metal (with a bit of power metal on the side), particularly the works of Deep Purple, AC/DC, Van Halen, Scorpions, Guns n' Roses, Mötley Crüe, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, etc.. I figured that when I use my bardic music abilities, I could play various famous guitar solos. For my spells, I'd do famous guitar riffs.

So, here is what I've come up with:
Countersong: If I ever counter a demon, Tribute by Tenacious D. Otherwise, I don't know.

Fascinate: Drawing a blank.

Inspire Courage: Blankety blank blank.

Inspire Competence: Blankety blank blank.

Suggestion: Blankety blank blank. Possibly Master of Puppets. As a last resort.

Inspire Greatness: Blankety blank blank.

Song of Freedom: Freebird, Born to Be Wild by Steppen Wolf, Back in Black by AC/DC.

Inspire Heroics: Blankety blank blank.

Spells-
Daze/Flare: Thunderstruck by AC/DC.

Lullaby: Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns n' Roses.

Ghost Sound: Blankety blank blank.

Cause Fear: Blankety blank blank.

Disguise Self: Domo Arigato Mr. Robot by Styx.

Sleep: See Lullaby.

Any Suggestions?

blue_fenix
2007-08-06, 03:13 PM
Carry on my Wayward Son.

For EVERYTHING.

Flawless
2007-08-06, 03:15 PM
Hmmm...

Heart of Steel by Manowar / kingdom of Fearless by Virgin Steele for the inspire couarage song.

Fear of the Dark by Iron Maiden / the ripper by Judas Priest for fear.

Rumda
2007-08-06, 03:15 PM
well for inspire courage greatness heroics, then prety much anything by the likes of Hammerfall with work well
Summon monster 1-3 heading the call Hammerfall

rollfrenzy
2007-08-06, 03:26 PM
Inspire courage = don't fear the reaper By Blue Oyster Cult

... Must..... resist...... cowbell...... joke...

Enter Sandman for Sleep.

ThorFluff
2007-08-06, 03:29 PM
Fascinate: Something horrendously complex, Try Dream Theater

Inspire Courage: Heeding the call - Hammerfall

Inspire Competence: Be Quick or Be Dead - Iron Maiden

Suggestion: Master of Puppets aint all that bad...

Inspire Greatness: One Shot At Glory - Judas Priest

Song of Freedom: Freebird, Born to Be Wild by Steppen Wolf, Back in Black by AC/DC.

Inspire Heroics: All Guns Blazing - Judas Priest

Spells-
Daze/Flare: Thunderstruck by AC/DC.

Ghost Sound: (wierd to have a sound to such a sneaky spell)

Cause Fear: Fear of the dark- Iron Maiden / Night Crawler - Judas Priest

Disguise Self: Domo Arigato Mr. Robot by Styx.

Sleep: See Lullaby.

ALOR
2007-08-06, 03:29 PM
So, here is what I've come up with:
Countersong: If I ever counter a demon, Tribute by Tenacious D. Otherwise, I don't know.

Fascinate: Drawing a blank.

Inspire Greatness: Blankety blank blank.

Inspire Heroics: Blankety blank blank.

Spells-
Cause Fear: Blankety blank blank.

Any Suggestions?

Fascinate or suggestion: led zepplin: "stairway to heaven" or Iron Butterfly's "inagodadavida"
both are long and always get stuck in my head which i imagine would be useful for fasinate

Inspire Greatness or Heroics: Queens "we are the champions"?

Cause Fear: "mr crauley" (which is spelled horribly wrong) by Ozzie Osborne

Sleep or Lullaby - "enter sandman" by mettalica.

those were what i could think of right now, cool idea for the setting your in though
happy gaming

Rumda
2007-08-06, 03:31 PM
Inspire heroics hearts of fire hammerfall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k25X8RAjJ00)

Morty
2007-08-06, 03:32 PM
No, Inspire Heroics would be Warriors of The World United by Manowar. And nothing else.
As for spells:
Run to The Hills by Iron Maiden, or The Loneliness of The Long Distance Runner by the same band would work great for Expeditious Retreat.

Spiryt
2007-08-06, 03:40 PM
I believe he is asking for certain riffs (and solos of course) guys, not whole songs. So we probably should search fitting fiffs. It will be more difficult, but maybe more funny too.

Bosaxon
2007-08-06, 04:11 PM
Got a couple in no real order:
In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly for Ghost Sound

Iron Man by Black Sabbath for Cause Fear

Through the Fire and the Flames dual guitar solo by Dragonforce for inspire greatness

mostlyharmful
2007-08-06, 04:16 PM
Inspire Courage; Ride of the Valkeriyies, sounds like... victory, what? just cause it ain't rock doesn't mean it doesn't ROCK!

Neon Knight
2007-08-06, 04:29 PM
Excellent responses so far. I can't believe I didn't think of Enter Sandman. I also think I might use The Call of Ktulu somehow.

Please remember, I'm one bard with one guitar.

ThorFluff
2007-08-06, 05:42 PM
which is why i posted songs dominated by easily recognizable guitarriffs and solos.
BTW it's Mr Crowley

Enzario
2007-08-06, 06:11 PM
Inspire Greatness/heroics/whatever: Eye of the Tiger (from Rocky)
Sound of Silence (Simon and Garfunkel) for Fascinate.
With a Little Help from my Friends (the Beatles) for Inspire Competence

Another One Bites the Dust would be good just as a random song to break into as your fighter coup-de-graces the last opponent.

Dhavaer
2007-08-06, 06:17 PM
No, Inspire Heroics would be Warriors of The World United by Manowar. And nothing else.

Dammit, I was going to say that.

Rasumichin
2007-08-06, 06:31 PM
Inspire Heroics : Disposable Heroes by Metallica

mostlyharmful
2007-08-06, 06:34 PM
Inspire fear: the Jaws -esque Da-Dum....Da-Dums,

Binary Stars
2007-08-06, 07:05 PM
I don't know about music from the genre you want with the exception of the ones you already have but these are all songs I think could work for each of these. I tried to keep to bands like those you described, but right now, I am just kind of going off the names on some of the songs on my iTunes playlist.

Countersong:

Fascinate: Smoke on the water?

Inspire Courage: Iron Man by Black Sabbath.

Inspire Competence: Ace of Spades by Motörhead

Suggestion: Master of Puppets works.

Inspire Greatness: Stairway To Heaven

Song of Freedom: Definitely Born to Be Wild by Steppenwolf.

Inspire Heroics: We are the Champions.

Spells-

Daze/Flare: Thunderstruck by AC/DC. (Looking for an Excuse for "Rock You Like A Hurricane :smalltongue: )

Ghost Sound: Paranoid

Cause Fear: Maybe Run To The Hills? If you don't like it, Welcome to the Jungle?

Okay, some of them suck, but I was trying to keep in genre. I'll try to come up with more later.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-06, 07:10 PM
Here's the long version (http://shemeska.clawz.com/songbook/iwantyoutofightit.htm) of one of my favorite Inspire Heroics melodies. Sure, it's a Cheap Trick filk, but unlike the original, it's actually entertaining.

bigbaddragon
2007-08-06, 10:05 PM
Countersong: Darkseed - I Deny You or Apollo 440 - Stop The Rock

Fascinate: Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound Of Silence or
Falconer - Lament Of A Minstrel
(For the moon and the sun
and for the winds I've sung,
hear how the lovely tones dance
upon my tongue ...

I'm a lonely minstrel,
a traveler on a road to nowhere
I sing a song to lighten the day
so come along as I walk away.
). This is definitely a bard song and has a nice guitar melody.

Inspire Courage: Sabaton - Primo Victoria or Marilyn Manson - The Fight Song

Inspire Competence: Queen - I Want It All

Suggestion: Aerosmith - Walk This Way

Inspire Greatness: Foo Fighters - Best Of You

Song of Freedom: AC/DC - Jailbreak or Van Halen - Jump (I can't decide)

Inspire Heroics: Hammerfall - Warriors Of Faith or Tiamat - Brighter Than The Sun or Hammerfall - Hearts On Fire

Spells:
Haste (when you get it of course): Billy Idol - Speed or Rammstein - Links 2 3 4

Lullaby: Mago De Oz - Mas Que Una Intencion (Loreena Mckennitt - Lullaby and Evenstar from LotR Soundtrack would be good choices but its too bad that those two are probably unplayable by electric guitar)

Ghost Sound: Lacrimas Profundere - Astronautumn

Cause Fear: Sinner - The Nature Of Evil (or just pick one from Backstreet Boys or some other similar band and try to emulate it with your guitar :smallamused: , that should be fearful enough)

Sleep: Same as Lullaby

EDIT: I would also punch in Megadeth (Crush 'Em and She Wolf) and Children Of Bodom somewhere.

Generic PC
2007-08-06, 10:09 PM
Carry on my Wayward Son.

For EVERYTHING.

Or, at least Freedom of Movement.

Bassetking
2007-08-06, 11:08 PM
5th level Bard Spell. "Incite Riot"

Blitzkrieg Bop

Weirdlet
2007-08-06, 11:54 PM
Cause Fear: Absolutely- Night Prowler, AC/DC

Saint George
2007-08-07, 12:01 AM
Inspire Heroics: Hero of the Day by Metallica.

This would prolly also work for greatness or courage.

Edit:
Upon review, Crush Em by Megadeath would work great for Inspire Fear or somesuch.

AslanCross
2007-08-07, 12:10 AM
Fascinate: Avantasia from Avantasia: The Metal Opera.

Inspire Courage: Heart of the Brave by Freedom Call or Heart of a Dragon by Dragonforce

Inspire Greatness: Reach Out for the Light from Avantasia: The Metal Opera.

Inspire Heroics: Tyranny of Steel by Iron Savior

Lullaby: Legendary Tales by Rhapsody of Fire

Cause Fear: Beyond the Gates of Infinity by Rhapsody of Fire or Memory from Avantasia: The Metal Opera

skywalker
2007-08-07, 12:24 AM

Blitzkrieg Bop

Or how about "Ballroom Blitz."

Bonus points for the Krokus cover.

Are these your only genres, or are you willing to branch out a wee bit?

Citizen Joe
2007-08-07, 12:37 AM
You DO realize that an electric guitar has to be plugged in, and have a large amount of speakers and equalizers and such to work. Otherwise, it will just sound like *plink* *Plink* *plink*

Tweekinator
2007-08-07, 10:49 AM
For your Inspire Courage, Greatness, or Heroics you could always use the AC/DC song Big Balls. I could see it working for any or all of those.

And don't forget Rock You Like a Hurricane by the Scorpions. Definitely good for those three Inspires.

InfiniteMiller
2007-08-07, 10:55 AM
Whenever someone mentions a bard performing Inspire Greatness, the intro to Eye of the Tiger always plays in my head.

My two cents.

Alyorbase
2007-08-07, 10:58 AM

Blitzkrieg Bop

For "Incite Riot" City Hall by Tenacious D

Macrovore
2007-08-07, 11:08 AM
You DO realize that an electric guitar has to be plugged in, and have a large amount of speakers and equalizers and such to work. Otherwise, it will just sound like *plink* *Plink* *plink*

uhh...magic guitar? duh. either that, or a magic speaker as a backpack.

Tweekinator
2007-08-07, 11:11 AM
Inspire Competence: AC/DC Dirt Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Accept Balls to the Wall

Cause Fear: Pantera Cowboys from Hell, Iron Maiden The Number of the Beast

And just because I like the songs, you should fit in I Wanna Rock, Iron Man, Welcome to the Jungle, Breaking the Law, You've Got Another Thing Coming, Paradise City, Thunder Kiss 65 and Pour Some Sugar On Me. I really don't know where you'd fit the last one in, though.

Neon Knight
2007-08-07, 11:19 AM

Already taken care of. Since I'm a magical musical man, the DM agreed to a custom feat allowing me to use my magic in order to create the proper sound from the guitar. All for the cost of one level 0 spell per day.

Just Alex
2007-08-07, 05:11 PM
I can't remember, do Bards get Phantasmal Mount?
If they do, you have to do either Johnny Cash's rendition of Ghost Riders in the Sky or the Doors Riders on the Storm

Neon Knight
2007-08-07, 05:18 PM
Bardic Knowledge doesn't make much sense for the character I'm building. He doesn't know that the alternate world exists, so he wouldn't know any of the tales of that world, and he is not a pop culture buff. He hasn't traded stories or heard tales while wandering the land.

I'd like to see if we could create some alternate ability to replace the out of place and does not make sense bardic knowledge.

Any ideas?

Arbitrarity
2007-08-07, 05:54 PM
Bardic knack (PHB2?) can be used as a replacement, it gives some sort of bonus on untrained skill checks, IIRC.

Neon Knight
2007-08-07, 06:23 PM
That reminds me: I need to get PHB II sometime.

Any other suggestions?