PDA

View Full Version : A Monster For Every Season (Spring) - Printable monster minis for your tabletop game

The Giant
2017-07-05, 10:24 AM
Hey, it's that time again: the time when I need to put something on sale so I can keep sleeping indoors!

http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/products/AMFES_Spring_ForumCover.png (https://gumroad.com/l/amfesspring#)

This is one of my favorite things that evolved out of the Kickstarter: A Monster for Every Season, a comprehensive set of print-and-play miniatures covering a wide variety of monsters and adventurers for your D&D game. It's basically a PDF file with pages upon pages of new OOTS-style monster art that you can print, cut, fold, and tape before dropping them into your game. Each page looks like this:

http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/Spring_Inside3.png

And then when you're done assembling them, they look like this:

http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/AMFES_Spring_Sample2.png

Also, every monster is included in both full color and toner-saving line art, so you can change the colors yourself:

http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/AMFES_Spring_LineSample.png

The sets are loosely themed around the four seasons, with the first set being Spring. (Yes, it was supposed to come out a few weeks ago.)

The first set includes the following categories:
Animals (82 figures)
Centaurs (5 figures)
Dragons (11 figures)
Druids (28 figures)
Fey (31 figures)
Gnolls (13 figures)
Goblins (30 figures)
Monsters (9 figures)
Mounts (21 figures)
Orcs (28 figures)
Plants (22 figures)
Rangers (39 figures)
Trolls (13 figures)

For a full list of all the monsters, here's a helpful Content List (https://s3.amazonaws.com/GiantInThePlayground_AMFES/AMFES_SpringContents.pdf) to download. Future sets will include pretty much every major category of monster, once everything's said and done. Here's a pic from the forthcoming Autumn set (which will hopefully be on sale this Autumn):

http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/AMFES_Autumn_Tease.png

I've set up a product page (http://www.giantitp.com/AMFESSpring.html) for the first set with more information, or you can head over to Gumroad (https://gumroad.com/l/amfesspring#) and get it now. Or you can read the FAQ that is coming up.

Frequently Asked Questions:

I can't figure out how to buy them!
You can get to the purchase page by clicking here (https://gumroad.com/l/amfesspring#), or on the big cover pictures above, or you can get to the Giant in the Playground profile page at Gumroad (which lists all the products we have on one page) by clicking here.

Does this set have every monster I would need to play? Does it have the entire contents of the Monster Manual?
No. Rather than sample every type of monster shallowly, each set attempts to be comprehensive for a limited set of categories. For example, this set includes 82 animals but no undead (which will appear in the Autumn issue). The goal is that by the time the project is over, the collected set will include pretty much every monster that has ever been released for the game, or at least an exhaustive selection thereof.

Is this useful for players, rather than just DMs?
Yes! Each set includes a few pages dedicated to two or more character classes, showcasing a variety of player-ready characters in all of the most common player races. This Spring set includes 28 different druids and 39 different rangers (and if you wanted to use a druid as a cleric or a ranger as a rogue, no one is going to stop you). Also, the set includes a wide array of animals for players to use as familiars, animal companions, nature's ally summons, wild shape forms, etc. along with a selection of regular old mounts—horses, ponies, riding dogs, etc. There are plenty of miniatures that would be useful even if you never ran an adventure yourself.

When will the rest of the seasons be coming out?
Hopefully during their respective seasons! The Summer and Autumn sets are completed and just need some light file conversion, while the Winter set is expected for both Kickstarter backers and the general public late this year or early 2018.

Why did you waste your time drawing 332 monsters instead of doing more comics?!?
I didn't, at least not any time recently. This was originally part of the Kickstarter project, which means that the bulk of the work was done back in 2012. All I did now was some art conversion and a small number of new figures, which took only a few days total.

Why did you start with Spring since it's now July?
Finishing the O-Chul story for Kickstarter backers ran long, pushing back when I could start on this. I suppose I could have just started with Summer, but this was the first set released to the backers and I think it serves as the best introduction to the project. The Summer set has a lot of aquatic animals rather than land-based ones, which are a little more situational.

Is this the same set that I got in 2012 as a Kickstarter backer?
Mostly. The art has been updated to reflect the current style and to match the Autumn set, and switched over to vector images to allow for better scaling. The layout has been shuffled to fix the margin issue that the first set had, too. There are also 84 all-new miniatures that weren't in the original set, to bring the monster count closer to that of the later volumes.

What are the new miniatures that weren't in the 2012 Kickstarter version?
You can see the full list (https://s3.amazonaws.com/GiantInThePlayground_AMFES/AMFES_SpringContents.pdf) of included monsters, but briefly speaking, I added 24 animals, 13 druids, 13 fey, 3 gnolls, 2 goblins, 3 mounts, 5 orcs, 9 plants, 8 rangers, and 6 trolls. There are no completely new categories that weren't in the set before.

I'm a Kickstarter backer and I never got my free copy of this!
You must have missed the update with the download link. You can download the file for free from your Kickstarter account by going to the pledge drive's page and looking for Update #38 from May 16,2012. You'll need to be logged into your account in order to view that update.

How do I get my PDFs?
You'll get an email with a download link a few minutes after ordering. Keep an eye on your spam folder, just in case.

What does the watermark look like?
It's on the first page (the cover), and it's a small grey ribbon-shape with the Gumroad "G" logo, next to which it says "Sold to" and then the email address that you gave when you purchased the book. So don't buy using your top secret email.

Why does it say there are two files?
Your purchase includes a full color version of every monster, and also a separate black-and-white line art version. These two sets are in separate files, so you'll get one file that has everything in color and one file that has everything in line art.

Why are you using Gumroad instead of (insert name of other company)?
Because they charge the lowest commission, which means I could lower the price more. Plus, most other companies that offer a watermark service add it to every single page, which seemed like overkill to me. One page is enough.

I paid for the product but I didn't get it! What do I do?
The first thing to try is to go to your Library on Gumroad, at this link: https://gumroad.com/library You should be able to see everything you've bought from them, and you can just manually download the file. That only works if you have an account there, but if you bought it without one, you can just make a new account using the same email you used to buy it and it should show up in your Library retroactively. If that doesn't work, then you need to contact [email protected]. I don't have much control over Gumroad's technical side, since I don't own them or run their service, so your best bet is to talk to them directly.

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, or technical difficulties, feel free to post them here.

Douglas
2017-07-05, 10:58 AM
I'm a Kickstarter backer and I never got my free copy of this!
You must have missed the update with the download link. You can download the file for free from your Kickstarter account by going to the pledge drive's page and looking for Update #38 from May 16,2012. You'll need to be logged into your account in order to view that update.
I think there's another question related to this that's likely to be "frequently asked": I'm a Kickstarter backer, do I get this new version with updated art and 84 new minis for free? And from the original download link, or a new one?

The Giant
2017-07-05, 11:01 AM
There is a backer-only Kickstarter update on the way to your inbox addressing this question.

rgrekejin
2017-07-05, 11:11 AM
Are the summer monsters going to get re-worked in the new art style as well? That's what the announcement seems to imply, but it's unclear whether they'll be in the new style or just the originals getting a broader release.

The Giant
2017-07-05, 11:13 AM
Are the summer monsters going to get re-worked in the new art style as well? That's what the announcement seems to imply, but it's unclear whether they'll be in the new style or just the originals getting a broader release.

Yes, the Summer monsters will definitely get updated. Whether or not there are any bonus monster is still uncertain.

littlebum2002
2017-07-05, 11:28 AM
For some reason, I thought those were quarters holding down the pieces, and i'm like that's $83 just to hold down your minis!

Then I realized they're pennies. That makes much more sense.

Lissou
2017-07-05, 01:21 PM
For some reason, I thought those were quarters holding down the pieces, and i'm like that's $83 just to hold down your minis!

Then I realized they're pennies. That makes much more sense.

Some bigger monsters use quarters (and some smaller ones use dimes) but yes, most of them use pennies (sometimes more than one for wide minis like mounts).

I really enjoyed this as a backer, and there is enough new content to justify the purchase, in my opinion. (If you were a backer, do check your update on this as it has useful information). I will probably buy the rest of the set too so I have them all in an easy-to access spot, especially Summer for the art change (the others may wait slightly longer, but for this price they won't break my bank, especially at the rate of 4 per year).

Looking forward to the other sets, and really enjoying the new female versions of some of the monsters. I have one comment that may seem silly (and is definitely not a hard request or anything): several of the civilian women have kids with them. I was wondering if in future sets some civilian men could be holding kids too? I understand that due to the style and our concept of gender roles it may make them harder to identify as male, but I think it would be pretty neat.

The animals are adorable and although we've been playing online, I think I'll share this with my DM (I'll show him my copy, he'll probably buy one if he's interested). If nothing else, it could be used for the thumbnails we use in our games, but it may also inspire him to use some creatures he hadn't thought of before.

Again, thanks for releasing them! I want to say that as a backer I've been really happy with all the free stuff we've been getting, and that you have allowed us to have exclusive access to it for a really long time, so having them available to everyone (for a fee) is something I'm quite happy about.

Salty
2017-07-05, 01:31 PM
Will there be a way for non-backers to get the draw-your-own PDF, too? I've had a ton of fun making custom minis for my games, and while it wouldn't be too much trouble to edit a template together, having them ready-made was a nice touch.

The Giant
2017-07-05, 01:35 PM
Looking forward to the other sets, and really enjoying the new female versions of some of the monsters. I have one comment that may seem silly (and is definitely not a hard request or anything): several of the civilian women have kids with them. I was wondering if in future sets some civilian men could be holding kids too? I understand that due to the style and our concept of gender roles it may make them harder to identify as male, but I think it would be pretty neat.

Check out the kobold civilian in the Summer set. Although I guess the kobolds and other reptilians are pretty hard to gender one way or the other anyway. But sure, I'll keep it in mind for the Winter set. I think I have bugbears on tap for the humanoid slot.

hewhosaysfish
2017-07-05, 03:56 PM
Sold!

I've dabbled in the past with making character portraits in HeroMachine and turning them into paper stand-ups but the OOTS art-style is perfect for quirky characters with detail that's still visible at a table-top scale.

And as a bonus, I get monster stand-ups too! I now have to plan an adventure with goblins, gnolls, centaurs and no undead...

unbeliever536
2017-07-05, 04:15 PM
Random question: are you planning to do the general release of kickstarter stuff in any particular order?

Celticbear
2017-07-05, 05:49 PM
I just want to take some time off of my day to thank Rich for dong this. The miniatures are beautifully drawn in the new art style, there's even a black and white version of the book so I can color in my own stuff, and there's a freakin goblin jester! What more can I ask from the author and illustrator of my favorite web-comic than to read this little thank you post.

Kayvaan
2017-07-05, 06:31 PM
Was there some sort of naming rights issue with the *ahem* Oxidation Critter? It gave me a bit of chuckle to see its new name. :)

rgrekejin
2017-07-05, 06:39 PM
Was there some sort of naming rights issue with the *ahem* Oxidation Critter? It gave me a bit of chuckle to see its new name. :)

I also liked the new addition, the "Racing Bird". :)

LordOfMistakes
2017-07-05, 06:56 PM
This has been my favorite thing from the Kickstarter, and, now, I can point people to where they can buy these fantastic minis!

In addition, one of the new animals is a Hedgehog--which has been a dream of mine for years!!

Thanks, so much for this!

--Steven

Sunken Valley
2017-07-05, 07:40 PM
{Scrubbed}

The Giant
2017-07-05, 07:42 PM
Random question: are you planning to do the general release of kickstarter stuff in any particular order?

There is no plan or order. When something's ready to release, I release it.

If you're familiar with the webcomic Rusty & Co. (http://rustyandco.com), they had some issues with Mr. Jones and Mr. Rodriguez a few years back. I'm trying to avoid anything similar, especially when I'm selling them rather than giving them away.

Lissou
2017-07-05, 08:14 PM
Check out the kobold civilian in the Summer set. Although I guess the kobolds and other reptilians are pretty hard to gender one way or the other anyway. But sure, I'll keep it in mind for the Winter set. I think I have bugbears on tap for the humanoid slot.

Thanks! This thought came to me while looking at the new release, I should have checked the other seasons first. My mistake, and thank you for responding (and I definitely look forward to the Winter set).

GrayGriffin
2017-07-05, 08:31 PM
How easy is the lineart to color with computer art programs? In a similar vein, is it okay for people to screenshot/crop the images to use as tokens for online games as well?

The Giant
2017-07-05, 09:06 PM
How easy is the lineart to color with computer art programs?

It is really hard to answer this question without knowing your personal level of technical proficiency and the tools you have available. It would be easy for me to do, but I've been using Adobe programs professionally for 22 years.

In a similar vein, is it okay for people to screenshot/crop the images to use as tokens for online games as well?

As long as you don't just post them online somewhere for anyone to grab, I'm fine with it.

------------

Also, I'm just going to quote myself from one of the last product threads now, because apparently every one of these needs to get derailed in the same way:

This thread is for discussion of the Belkar comic monster miniatures and issues related to ordering from Gumroad. If you want to complain about the new art style yet again or tell me about how I'm a terrible liar for evolving as an artist, go start another thread so I can more easily ignore your opinions.

Anyone who posts on this thread on any other topic than the topic indicated for this thread will be infracted.

And their post scrubbed.

Celticbear
2017-07-05, 09:24 PM
Pro tip for paper monster minis if you want to save ink (but not paper):

1) Go to the "Edit" tab in the top left corner of the computer monitor

2) Go to the option of "Take a Screenshot" (should have a little camera in a rectangle as the icon beside it)

3) Screenshot the mini(or minis) you want to use

4) Paste them on word

5) Print the word document

6) Enjoy!

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: If you're using this method to get a more refined roster of minis, make sure the zoom setting in the document is set to 100%, or else the picture will come out too large or too small.

some guy
2017-07-06, 05:01 AM
Big fan of the dire sloth! (Their tunnels still exist to this day! Giant beasts that make their own dungeons, why are they not in every edition's monster manual?)
The legion sheets are also very useful.

Will one of the upcoming sets have spiders, centipedes, bugs and other crawlies?

Armitage
2017-07-06, 06:42 AM
Pro tip for paper monster minis if you want to save ink (but not paper):

1) Go to the "Edit" tab in the top left corner of the computer monitor

2) Go to the option of "Take a Screenshot" (should have a little camera in a rectangle as the icon beside it)
Pro tip: Mention the operating system/program you are talking about. Not everybody uses the same. On my computer there is no "Edit" tab in the top left.

Yendor
2017-07-06, 08:18 AM
Will one of the upcoming sets have spiders, centipedes, bugs and other crawlies?

Oh yes. There's a whole bunch in the Autumn set.

Lissou
2017-07-06, 08:34 AM

Autumn has a bunch of creepy-crawlies in it.

Celticbear
2017-07-06, 09:53 AM
Pro tip: Mention the operating system/program you are talking about. Not everybody uses the same. On my computer there is no "Edit" tab in the top left.

Whoops, I got mine into Adobe Acrobat.

some guy
2017-07-07, 03:20 AM
Oh yes. There's a whole bunch in the Autumn set.

Autumn has a bunch of creepy-crawlies in it.

Great! Good to know I don't have to wait too long for those then.

The Giant
2017-07-07, 04:13 PM
I just wanted to give a heads up that if you have a problem with the technical aspects of file delivery, you need to contact [email protected] to resolve it. I don't have very much control over Gumroad's systems—they're a third party service that I use but don't control—so I can't fix problems. The support people can look at your account and figure out what went wrong.

Also, even though you don't need to create an account to buy something from them, I recommend doing so anyway. It allows you to see everything you've ever bought and download it again if there's a technical error in delivery (or if you just accidentally delete the file or something). Even if you purchased something without an account, if you then subsequently make an account with the same email, everything you previously purchased will show up in your Library.

BigBadHarve
2017-07-07, 08:01 PM
Any chance we'll see a Miniature Set devoted exclusively to the character classes, with various options for race and such?

I love the monsters you're providing, but having a variety of minis to match the characters my players are running would rock.

Perhaps that could be your Kickstarter Mystery prize #9? (coughcough*hint hint*coughcough) :smallbiggrin:

The Giant
2017-07-07, 09:19 PM
Any chance we'll see a Miniature Set devoted exclusively to the character classes, with various options for race and such?

I love the monsters you're providing, but having a variety of minis to match the characters my players are running would rock.

Perhaps that could be your Kickstarter Mystery prize #9? (coughcough*hint hint*coughcough) :smallbiggrin:

Right now, I'm including the character classes in each set. Spring has rangers and druids, Summer has fighters and wizards, Autumn has clerics and paladins (and necromancers), and Winter will have rogues and barbarans. If I continue the series beyond that, I'll probably do bards, monks, and psions, and maybe sorcerers in future sets. But they won't be Kickstarter Mystery Prize #9, that's already a specific thing. More likely I will put them on sale like I am these ones.

EDIT: Unless you're saying you need more variety than the 39 rangers in the Spring set, in which case, no, that's a lot less likely to happen. There's a near infinite variety for player characters in terms of style, armaments, etc., so I would never be able to create a set that included everyone's idea of what their ranger looked like—and that's not counting all the weird races out there. And at a certain point, it's just me wracking my brain for different ways to draw a ranger and coming up empty, and still not matching what other people might be wishing for.

BigBadHarve
2017-07-08, 12:36 AM
Right now, I'm including the character classes in each set. Spring has rangers and druids, Summer has fighters and wizards, Autumn has clerics and paladins (and necromancers), and Winter will have rogues and barbarans. If I continue the series beyond that, I'll probably do bards, monks, and psions, and maybe sorcerers in future sets. But they won't be Kickstarter Mystery Prize #9, that's already a specific thing. More likely I will put them on sale like I am these ones.

EDIT: Unless you're saying you need more variety than the 39 rangers in the Spring set, in which case, no, that's a lot less likely to happen. There's a near infinite variety for player characters in terms of style, armaments, etc., so I would never be able to create a set that included everyone's idea of what their ranger looked like—and that's not counting all the weird races out there. And at a certain point, it's just me wracking my brain for different ways to draw a ranger and coming up empty, and still not matching what other people might be wishing for.

Alas. It was a thought. The idea of having a nice wide range for all of the classes in one handy book had appeal. Of course you can't account for everything, but a compendium with many good options would be awesome.

I am really enjoying the minis a lot. My groups get the most use of class based minis and look forward to more variety... Which is what sparked the hope of a special set devoted to classes specifically.

Of course, if any of us had even a hint of artistic talent we'd draw our own... But we suck and yours are fun.

Looking forward to the winter set. :smallsmile:

Unbodied
2017-07-08, 06:38 AM
I decided to shell out for a set and these look wonderful. So far the group I'm playing with have had to use dice or improvised with models from all sorts of places to make our models, these are much more convenient and way cheaper that trying to buy proper models. I especially like the Legion sets, so much more convenient for having large groups of mooks. :smallsmile:

Cookieman
2017-07-08, 10:38 AM
I just registered here to thank you for these beautiful miniatures!

I just simulated a huge siege battle with these figures. Unfortunately the spring set did'nt contain all the units I needed so I used the lizardfolk as archers, the yuan-ti as pikemen and the kobolds as swordmen, bugbears as hobgoblins and hobgoblins as zombies...

Seriously though, I purchased the spring set and already built a lot of minis. I can't wait for the others sets!
(so many archers, not a single lizardfolk in there!)

By the way: I glued all the humans and more or less human-sized minis to cardboard and I use plastic bases for them. Looks pretty good, too! Monsters, mounts and animals I have cut out and I use paper clips to keep them together (tent-shaped as intended). A big collection of minis is way easier to store this way.

Some questions:

- Why is the Order of the Stick missing? An evil pirate told me those guys where in the original kickstarter spring set.
- What about the main villains?
- Will there ever be a set (a legion sheet) of human soldiers? That would be so great! One could easily recolor them to have different armies /good guys /evil henchmen.

Peelee
2017-07-08, 10:46 AM
Right now, I'm including the character classes in each set. Spring has rangers and druids, Summer has fighters and wizards, Autumn has clerics and paladins (and necromancers), and Winter will have rogues and barbarans. If I continue the series beyond that, I'll probably do bards, monks, and psions, and maybe sorcerers in future sets.

Dang, I didn't think sorcerers were so far down the totem pole that they'd be behind psions. Is it because they're so similar to wizards and the wizard minis can just make effective sorc placeholders for now?

evileeyore
2017-07-08, 12:26 PM
Also, every monster is included in both full color and toner-saving line art, so you can change the colors yourself:
OH HELL YEAHS!

You have no idea how annoyed I get when paper-mini artists don't do this and then slap a princely fee on it... and your not only doing it right but charging a "pay as you like" 6$?

I could almost weep at the sight of your awesomeness.

Okay, slightly less awesome... but the minis are still really cool.

The Giant
2017-07-08, 10:09 PM
Dang, I didn't think sorcerers were so far down the totem pole that they'd be behind psions. Is it because they're so similar to wizards and the wizard minis can just make effective sorc placeholders for now?

Yeah, pretty much. It's very hard to think of things that make a sorcerer not just another wizard, except maybe the lack of a book. And even less that differentiates them from warlocks, so it will probably be "Sorcerers & Warlocks" when it does happen, so I don't need to worry about it. Psions at least have all those crystals and tattoos and stuff, so they'll be easier to draw.

Keltest
2017-07-08, 10:20 PM
Yeah, pretty much. It's very hard to think of things that make a sorcerer not just another wizard, except maybe the lack of a book. And even less that differentiates them from warlocks, so it will probably be "Sorcerers & Warlocks" when it does happen, so I don't need to worry about it. Psions at least have all those crystals and tattoos and stuff, so they'll be easier to draw.

Don't warlocks wear armor like bards?

More seriously, D&D has a lot of monsters. How do you decide which ones make the list? You mentioned every "major" category of monster, what makes it a major category? Do you just have a list of books sitting on a table somewhere that you copied the table of contents from into a list and sorted into the seasons?

The Giant
2017-07-08, 11:11 PM
Don't warlocks wear armor like bards?

Oh yeah, good point. It's been a while. Well, we'll see how it works out.

More seriously, D&D has a lot of monsters. How do you decide which ones make the list? You mentioned every "major" category of monster, what makes it a major category? Do you just have a list of books sitting on a table somewhere that you copied the table of contents from into a list and sorted into the seasons?

Almost exactly that, yeah. I have every edition of D&D monster book in either hardcopy or PDF available; the "major categories" are the ones that have persisted across every edition of the game. I basically just went through the Monster Manuals and decided which season the monster "felt" like to me, and then grouped them into broader categories, Sometimes those are really obvious, like animals or undead. Sometimes less so: Autumn has a group called "Spooooky" that arose from a bunch of Halloween-style monsters that didn't have a better category, like Hags, Scarecrows, and Berbelangs. And then, once I'm working out positioning on the page, there are gaps that I need to fill in a given category to maximize the page space. That's when I either go deep-diving for an obscure monster of the right size and theme, or I include a "non-D&D" monster, like the Plumbing Pipe Plant or the Racing Snail.

I also started with the biggest categories of "boring" creatures and split them up, one to a set. What I mean by boring is, the things that you need to have if you want to have the whole Monster Manual, but are in no way exciting or even fantastical: land animals, aquatic animals, vermin, and dinosaurs are the ones I came up with. All necessary, but all very large categories that don't offer much thrill to a potential buyer.

My hope is that by the time I'm done, the set will cover at least every monster in every "main" Monster Manual from every edition—OD&D, 1e, 2e, 3e, 4e, and 5e—plus every character class from every main PHB. Many of the bonus monsters for this set that weren't in the Kickstarter version are from the 5e MM, which wasn't out yet when I did Spring the first time. I don't think I'll get through everything in 4 volumes, though, which is why I'm speculating that I'll extend it to 8, as long as they end up being popular enough to warrant the effort.

The Giant
2017-07-08, 11:20 PM
- Why is the Order of the Stick missing? An evil pirate told me those guys where in the original kickstarter spring set.
- What about the main villains?

I decided to keep those an exclusive for the Kickstarter backers, both as a special bonus for them and so as not to cause a problem with my good friends at Moreland Miniatures, who produce the metal-and-resin official OOTS gaming miniatures.

- Will there ever be a set (a legion sheet) of human soldiers? That would be so great! One could easily recolor them to have different armies /good guys /evil henchmen.

Yes, the Summer set has fighters, which include human soldier-types, and there is definitely a Legion Sheet for them. Lizardfolk are also in Summer, FYI.

Armitage
2017-07-10, 06:37 AM
I decided to keep those an exclusive for the Kickstarter backers, both as a special bonus for them and so as not to cause a problem with my good friends at Moreland Miniatures, who produce the metal-and-resin official OOTS gaming miniatures.
Oh, so I shouldn't have copied the Gumroad version over the Kickstarter version?

Ok, I should have a backup some...where...over...there...

The Giant
2017-07-10, 08:27 AM
You can just grab the Kickstarter version again:

You can download the file for free from your Kickstarter account by going to the pledge drive's page and looking for Update #38 from May 16,2012. You'll need to be logged into your account in order to view that update.

Lord Torath
2017-07-10, 09:53 AM
Alas. It was a thought. The idea of having a nice wide range for all of the classes in one handy book had appeal. Of course you can't account for everything, but a compendium with many good options would be awesome.

I am really enjoying the minis a lot. My groups get the most use of class based minis and look forward to more variety... Which is what sparked the hope of a special set devoted to classes specifically.

Of course, if any of us had even a hint of artistic talent we'd draw our own... But we suck and yours are fun.

Looking forward to the winter set. :smallsmile:Inkscape (http://download.cnet.com/Inkscape/3000-6675_4-10527269.html) is a free vector drawing program. Combine this with Windows' Snipping tool, and you can relatively easily create a personalized mini. Find one or more OotS-style mini's you like the look of. Maybe this one's helmet, and that one's chest armor, plus the sword from this other figure. Plus, that one has sweet boots! Use the Snipping Tool to snip those minis from the .pdf. Import the snips into Inkscape (drag, drop, and fill out the form), trace over the parts of each mini that you like, and them combine them to get your specific character. It's really pretty easy!

Rich, are you planning on releasing the "Draw Your Own" pages to non-kickstarter backers? Or including them in a later AMFES package? Or just leaving them Kickstarter only?

Can we use mini's created as I described above as Avatars? Or is that too close to posting your art without permission?

Also, are you planning on including updated versions (new art style) of the OotS and Linear Guild in the kick-starter Winter set, to go along with the new-style Team Evil from Autumn?

I gotta say, I really love these! One of my favorite kickstarter rewards! And I love the reworking you've done, too! I haven't yet had the time to go through and compare the two sets side-by-side, but I love some of the changes I've already seen. Thanks, muchly!

Kayvaan
2017-07-10, 08:31 PM
Love the updates to the Spring set and very much looking forward to the future of this series. :)

I did note that, unless I'm totally missing the obvious, the goblin caster on the left side of the front page isn't in the goblin section or anywhere else in the set. Is this a Rich-exclusive mini, or will it be appearing in a future set?

Yendor
2017-07-10, 10:52 PM
I did note that, unless I'm totally missing the obvious, the goblin caster on the left side of the front page isn't in the goblin section or anywhere else in the set. Is this a Rich-exclusive mini, or will it be appearing in a future set?

That's actually an orc shaman. The goblins in the set are Small-sized.

The Giant
2017-07-10, 11:58 PM
No, Kayvaan is right. That's the Goblin Warlock, and for some reason I left her out of the final document. Sorry about that. I'll see what I can do about getting her to everyone.

TirelessDynamo
2017-07-11, 08:46 AM
This is awesome! I can't wait for the other seasons! (And hopefully other years of seasons)

Kenage
2017-07-11, 11:45 PM
I never considered a racing snail as something which I must have... it has been years since I have watched Atreyu and Artax deal with their adventures after all. Now I'm trying to think of a way to incorporate them into my campaign setting, and have mini's to use for them!

ti'esar
2017-07-12, 12:57 AM
I was browsing the Content List to see what new monsters this had that weren't in the original Kickstarter PDF, and I just saw the listing for "Gnoll Fang of Yoonowho". :smallbiggrin:

That might have been enough to sell me on this on its own.

Thwylie
2017-07-12, 05:38 AM
I hope this isn't a silly question, but I recently found the monster for every season: spring edition, and it looks really awesome. I was wondering if the other seasons that have been released, autumn and summer, will get rereleased for the people that weren't lucky to have discovered this all yet. If that's already in the works to be fixed up to buy next to spring I'm sorry if I'm being a pest. Or if you are trying to keep it exclusive for the initial kickstarter supporters, which is totally fair. I really love your work.

Lord Torath
2017-07-12, 07:47 AM
I hope this isn't a silly question, but I recently found the monster for every season: spring edition, and it looks really awesome. I was wondering if the other seasons that have been released, autumn and summer, will get rereleased for the people that weren't lucky to have discovered this all yet. If that's already in the works to be fixed up to buy next to spring I'm sorry if I'm being a pest. Or if you are trying to keep it exclusive for the initial kickstarter supporters, which is totally fair. I really love your work.
From the FAQ in the first post of this thread:

When will the rest of the seasons be coming out?
Hopefully during their respective seasons! The Summer and Autumn sets are completed and just need some light file conversion, while the Winter set is expected for both Kickstarter backers and the general public late this year or early 2018.

Thwylie
2017-07-12, 05:27 PM
From the FAQ in the first post of this thread:

Or right, thank you. Sorry

Kardwill
2017-07-18, 07:22 AM
OK, this is seriously awesome : The minis have a nice diversity, and they are gorgeous (and not just "gorgeous for stick figures". They really do feel alive). This set tempts me into getting into a new D&D game (after I wrap up my Dresden campaign, maybe?), and I'll certainly pounce on the next sets. Thanks a lot. :)

Kuulvheysoon
2017-07-18, 01:16 PM
I'm running the Red Hand of Doom and I just found these. I saw somewhere that Lizardfolk are going to be in the Summer chapter, but what I'd like to know about are Hobgoblins and Giants (predominately Hill). Will they be in the Summer update as well?

Lord Torath
2017-07-18, 01:32 PM
Hobgoblins: Autumn Installment

Giants (Summer Installment): Fire (M/F), Fire Cleric(F), Fire ForgeCaller(M), Sea (M/F), Storm Giant (M/F), Fire Titan (M).

So unless Rich decides to add them, no Hill Giants in the Summer pack.

GM.Roni
2017-07-20, 07:06 AM
It would be great if i could use a code or send my roll20 user info to giantitp so i could get all these images for use in my roll20 campaigns...
(i already bought the pdf, and i know i can use print screen and paint program to copy images but it seems a hassle and also this might be great for other users of roll20...)

The Giant
2017-07-20, 09:05 AM
Hill, Stone, and Frost giants will be in the Winter set.

Lord Torath
2017-07-20, 11:03 AM
It would be great if i could use a code or send my roll20 user info to giantitp so i could get all these images for use in my roll20 campaigns...
(i already bought the pdf, and i know i can use print screen and paint program to copy images but it seems a hassle and also this might be great for other users of roll20...)

Based on this exchange, I probably wouldn't hold my breath.

In a similar vein, is it okay for people to screenshot/crop the images to use as tokens for online games as well?

As long as you don't just post them online somewhere for anyone to grab, I'm fine with it.

Rich would have to contact Roll20, and set up some kind of legal agreement with them, and they'd probably want some measure of control over the art, and they'd have to hash out royalty/hosting/commission fees, and what happens to the other paid artists Roll20 uses, and probably a hundred other issues I haven't even thought of yet, and it would just be a big headache

I just use the snipping/screenshot tool to grab the art, and then use irfanview to save it with a background transparency color.

Shades of Gray
2017-07-22, 07:23 PM
Just got the tokens and they look great. Any reason the hags aren't part of the fey? Are they part of a different collection, or have I just missed them and they're part of this one?

ti'esar
2017-07-22, 07:29 PM
Just got the tokens and they look great. Any reason the hags aren't part of the fey? Are they part of a different collection, or have I just missed them and they're part of this one?

They're with the "Spooky Monsters" in the Autumn collection.

The Giant
2017-07-22, 09:02 PM

Hags are not part of The Fey because hags are not fey in any edition before 4th, which I barely played and never noticed that they switched them until I looked them up after reading your comment. In 3rd Edition, they were Monstrous Humanoids and earlier editions didn't have defined creature types. (5th Edition wasn't out when I first created this set.)

As ti'esar said, hags appear in the Autumn installment.

Kardwill
2017-07-23, 06:14 AM
So unless Rich decides to add them, no Hill Giants in the Summer pack.

The mountain trolls in the spring pack can make some pretty neat hill/rock giant proxies, though : Twice as tall as normal minis, grey (and not green) skin, big nose and stupid-looking :)

Goblin_Priest
2017-07-25, 07:20 PM
I think these look great. Our table already has a million more minis and tokens than needed, though...

Rogar Demonblud
2017-07-26, 11:01 AM
These pack a lot easier than minis do. And if your players are into counting coup, you can let them pile up the pennies from each of their kills.

Arutema
2017-07-27, 04:32 AM
These are rapidly becoming my go-to for tokens when I need to populate a roll20 table with monsters.

Have werebats or a similar critter shown up in any of them?

Lord Torath
2017-07-27, 08:14 AM
These are rapidly becoming my go-to for tokens when I need to populate a roll20 table with monsters.

Have werebats or a similar critter shown up in any of them?I don't remember seeing any. The closest I can find to a were-anything is a Seawolf (hybrid form) in the Summer set.

If you're having trouble finding monsters, you might try this (expired - check with a moderator before posting) thread: (Monster-Minis!)-The-OotS-Style-Monster-Manual-Art-Project (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?222749-(Monster-Minis!)-The-OotS-Style-Monster-Manual-Art-Project).

TheBeggarDwarf
2017-07-28, 08:39 PM
Just wanted to say "Thank you" for making these miniatures. My players love them (including one of my player's children: they've developed a passion for assembling them and coloring the line-art versions), and I get a nice bit of nostalgia for the old boxed adventures I picked up in KB Toys ages ago.

P.S. If you happen to need a small (well, Tiny, really) creature to fill up a space in a future pack, let me put in a word the platypus. I know a grey dwarf druid who'd be absolutely thrilled. :smallsmile: Thanks again.

Lord Torath
2017-07-29, 11:46 AM
Why would you want a platypus? They don't do much, you know (http://otakon7.deviantart.com/art/P-and-F-He-is-a-platypus-they-don-t-do-much-330218703).

I mean, it's not like the males have poison spurs on their hind feet or anything...

TheBeggarDwarf
2017-07-29, 03:41 PM
As many times as my player has used that platypus to bring down my villains, I want to know where that thing is on the battlefield at all times. :smallsmile: And it will make her happy. Happy players are much easier to manipulate.

Reboot
2017-08-02, 07:32 PM

Out of curiosity, are they done with new OotS miniatures? Seems a long time since one was announced.

The Giant
2017-08-03, 02:06 PM
Out of curiosity, are they done with new OotS miniatures? Seems a long time since one was announced.

Your guess is as good as mine. They let me know when they want to make a new one, and they haven't mentioned anything to me, either. I think it's probably we've just reached the point where the characters left to do are simply not going to be popular enough to warrant doing them, but I'm not sure.

Hollysword
2017-08-07, 04:24 AM
How would those different monster 'classes' work in 5e... I notice some of them are from 4e where monsters have different types, where 5e simplified them into just one or two types. Goblin cutter is an example. How would they work in 5e?

The Giant
2017-08-07, 06:05 PM
How would those different monster 'classes' work in 5e... I notice some of them are from 4e where monsters have different types, where 5e simplified them into just one or two types. Goblin cutter is an example. How would they work in 5e?

However you want them to. There aren't any rules to what each one has to represent, I just used various names and armor/weapon choices as a springboard for inspiration. If you want your band of 5e goblins represented with the Goblin or the Goblin Cutter or the Goblin Archer, it's all fine. It's a starting point, not a prescription for how to use them.

Kardwill
2017-08-08, 04:46 AM

You could introduce small differences to the build. "That one wields small daggers, but he's quicker/stealthier/gets 2 attacks a round/has a sneak attack"
Or you could use it for narrative purpose. "The one with the knife is the goblin who broke into your rooms and stole the crystal of MacGuffining. He's running toward the altar, while the othere are blocking your way"
Or simply to have different faces in the crowd, even if there is no real mecanical or narrative difference between them. Because having every goblin wield the very same gear would be pretty boring. They're not hobgoblins, they don't have a military supply chain ^^

I find all these models of goblin pretty cool, myself. Feels more like real stick-people if they are not all wielding the same generic shortsword ;)

Hollysword
2017-08-08, 04:48 AM
Alright, another question then, if I may: How would you suggest I could pick out specific ones to print out? Say I just need one specific elf ranger, how should I do it to save ink by not printing the rest of the rangers?

Kardwill
2017-08-08, 05:59 AM
Very basic possibility : Printscreen, then paste on paint and cut out everything you're not interested in? (Or using a printscreen program that allow you to cut directly during the copy, like 20/20 or Screenpresso)

I've no doubt there are more elegant ways, but I'm pretty tech-illiterate, so that's the one I've used in the past.

GrayGriffin
2017-08-08, 06:22 AM
Cmd + Shift + 4 on Macs also lets you automatically do cut screenshots.

littlebum2002
2017-08-10, 05:56 PM
Or the Snipping Tool on PC

Lord Torath
2017-08-11, 10:36 AM
Any plans on including Psionic Danger/Illithoid/Mind Thingies (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0030.html) in the Winter set?

Scizor
2017-08-18, 10:50 AM
Hey this is a neat product! I'll definitely buy the Spring one, and then we'll see how much my group enjoyed it.

The Giant
2017-08-19, 10:35 AM
Since I just mentioned it in the latest Kickstarter update, I thought I would mention here that the Summer set will be released sometime in the next week or two, depending on how long it takes me to convert stuff. The usual slate of announcement threads/banners/news posts will let you know when it's out.

Nataichal
2017-08-23, 12:45 PM
Since I just mentioned it in the latest Kickstarter update, I thought I would mention here that the Summer set will be released sometime in the next week or two, depending on how long it takes me to convert stuff. The usual slate of announcement threads/banners/news posts will let you know when it's out.

I have a new campaign starting Sunday, and would love to have the Summer set in place so I can have as many people as possible running around in Oots form. You want to edit and post stuff. You feel a compulsion to do so, and an almost euphoric feeling of rapture and satisfaction when doing so....

littlebum2002
2017-08-23, 12:48 PM
Hi, Rich. I know this isn't the proper place to mention this, but I know you check here frequently. The most recent wallpaper is awesome, but the links still contain the word (Haley) from the Pyrohydra wallpaper.

ChrisGuy
2017-08-28, 12:35 PM
Had to register for the specific purpose of saying how much I love these minis.

I grew up playing with Steve Jackson Games' Cardboard Heroes and love them to this day. They're the exact same fold-em-over style of paper mini. The scale is a little different, but I figured out that if I print the OotS minis at 80% original size, they scale together perfectly. The simple and bold art style lends themselves to a slight reduction in size.

Now I have Soooo many more monsters!

I'll be getting the other seasons as soon as they become available.

Bastian Weaver
2017-08-29, 06:21 AM
Hopefully some time this week (you hear this, Giant? The soft jingle of our money, ready to pay for the next season?). Thank you for the tip about CH.

The Giant
2017-08-29, 10:15 AM
I regret to inform you the next set will not be coming out next week.

Because it's out now (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?534705-A-Monster-for-Every-Season-Summer!-(Vol-2)).

Bastian Weaver
2017-08-29, 03:19 PM
Ah, glorious day, caloo, calay! Here are the dinars I must pay. I must admit I've got a soft spot for underwater creatures.

Xyvrin
2017-09-10, 04:50 PM
So I couldn't help but notice that the Orc Druid from the original publication of this set is missing from the new one. :smalleek:
I could be dense and I'm missing it entirely, but it doesn't appear to be with Orcs or Druids.

Max?
2017-10-13, 07:12 PM
Question of interest on the critters for all seasons packs - is there any plan to release them on roll20.net's market place? It'd be great to have access to them there!