PDA

View Full Version : Level 3 psionic powers

Kaleph
2017-07-05, 10:42 AM
I'm currently playing a sneaky psionic gish, and I have to select a new Level 3 psionic power.

I am Level 9, the PC is Tier 3 or so, and my playstyle in this case consists in relying mostly on mundane abilities, and using powers from time to time, when skills&melee don't work, or for self-buff, or to create unique effects.

I am a telepath and therefore I use psionic charm (and plan to get dominate in the future) to improve my social skills, since the entire campaign is mainly social-based. As damaging power I have energy ray only, and I use the vigor/share pain/psicrystal Combo. Other powers are entangling ectoplasm, detect hostile intent, levitate, control sound, time hop, touchsight, dispel psionics, etc...
So what would be a no-brainer pick for my last Level 3 power? At the moment I am considering

Exhalation of the bronze dragon
Telekinetic force
Glyph of warding, psionic

The problem with Glyph of warding is that it requires a complete revision - if someone has fixes, I am happy to listen.
Energy wall could be another option, but at the moment it doesn't convince me, since I am planning to pick ectoplasmic wall soon. Anyhow if you have particularly positive game experience with energy wall, you are invited to share.
Exhalation of the bronze dragon is a bit meh and isn't a utility power (the ones I'm basically interested into), but I lack AoE powers in combat and this could be a nice patch.

Any comment, idea or recommendation from you, guys, is welcome.

J-H
2017-07-05, 11:03 AM
Telekinetic force - you can use it for damage, or you can use it to grab an enemy and throw him up 10xML feet through the air if he fails a save.

I just killed a party member with it in one round... AC 12, 33hp, and he ended up in front of two pouncing velociraptors (deinonychus). There is only one manifester opposing the party and will saves were made against the first two attempts with the power identified, so they certainly had plenty of time to figure out what was going on.

Nifft
2017-07-05, 11:21 AM
Sneaky? You may want to check out attraction. It's a level 1 general power, and here's what it does:

You plant a compelling attraction in the mind of the subject. The attraction can be toward a particular person or an object. The subject will take reasonable steps to meet, get close to, attend, or find the object of its implanted attraction. For the purpose of this power, “reasonable” means that, while attracted, the subject doesn’t suffer from blind obsession. He will act on this attraction only when not engaged in combat. The subject won’t perform obviously suicidal actions. He can still recognize danger but will not flee unless the threat is immediate. If you make the subject feel an attraction to yourself, you can’t command him indiscriminately, although he will be willing to listen to you (even if he disagrees). This power grants you a +4 bonus on any interaction checks you make involving the subject (such as Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive).

Augment - For every 2 additional power points you spend, this power’s save DC increases by 1 and the bonus on interaction checks increases by 1.

It's a great way to get unsuspecting people to move in creative ways; or you can use it to get +4 (or more) to social interactions.

I'd also recommend touchsight and/or control sound.

Kaleph
2017-07-05, 01:09 PM
Thank you for the replies so far.

Telekinetic force - you can use it for damage, or you can use it to grab an enemy and throw him up 10xML feet through the air if he fails a save.
I believe you mean telekinetic thrust - it's versatile enough since it has two alternative effects (and one is factually AoE), but the problem is the Will-save without augment. Any advice?

Sneaky? You may want to check out attraction.
I considered attraction, but it would be a level 1 power in a level 3 "slot" - I'm sure I can get something better. Also, charm makes it a bit redundant. Anyhow, at level 10 I'll take psichic reformation and play a bit with my powers, I'll consider attraction as a replacement for precognition.

I'd also recommend touchsight and/or control sound.
Excellent choices - actually they're so good that I have them already amongst my known powers :smallsmile:
Check inside the spoiler box, I wrote down most of the powers I have.

J-H
2017-07-05, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I keep crossing TK Thrust & TK Force up.

If they save it's useless, but if they don't save, it can be pretty good, depending on the environment.

Nifft
2017-07-05, 01:45 PM
I considered attraction, but it would be a level 1 power in a level 3 "slot" - I'm sure I can get something better. Also, charm makes it a bit redundant. Anyhow, at level 10 I'll take psichic reformation and play a bit with my powers, I'll consider attraction as a replacement for precognition. It's not quite redundant -- psi charm improves someone's attitude, but if you want get any mileage out of it, they will certainly remember interacting with you. Attraction can give you a similar (but inferior) bonus on social stuff, but more importantly it can cause people to behave in useful ways without even knowing that you exist. That's huge if you're more often sneaky than social.

Aversion is a level 2 Telepath-list power with similar abuse potential. It's fantastic for avoiding fights.

Excellent choices - actually they're so good that I have them already amongst my known powers :smallsmile:
Check inside the spoiler box, I wrote down most of the powers I have.

Derrrrrp! Sorry.

If you have access to Dragon Magic, then maybe channel the psychic dragon. It's a Swift action power that gives you a bunch of random bonuses, depending on how much you spend. Good utility if you can see yourself using at least half of the bonuses.

Hostile empathic transfer can be good. Dumping damage into an enemy while healing yourself for ~50 points of damage is pretty sweet. It's melee-only and there's a save -- but even if they save, you still get healed for 25 HP and they still take 25 damage.

King539
2017-07-05, 02:33 PM
I think Time Hop is 3rd level. Check it out as a possibility.

Calthropstu
2017-07-05, 02:47 PM
Isn't energy wall 4th lvl?
I'd take energy blast or (if your gm will allow it) crisis of breath.
However, given the selections you posed, I would take telekinetic thrust.
More useful.

Kaleph
2017-07-05, 03:40 PM
If you have access to Dragon Magic, then maybe channel the psychic dragon. It's a Swift action power that gives you a bunch of random bonuses, depending on how much you spend. Good utility if you can see yourself using at least half of the bonuses.Oh, look, it just became my favorite 1st level power :smile:
Not sure if I'll need all the bonus types, but it's really a lot of versatility, despite the high augment costs.

Hostile empathic transfer can be good. Dumping damage into an enemy while healing yourself for ~50 points of damage is pretty sweet. It's melee-only and there's a save -- but even if they save, you still get healed for 25 HP and they still take 25 damage.The double nerf of the CPsi hurts, though.

I think Time Hop is 3rd level. Check it out as a possibility.I have it already - see spoiler in OP for the (almost) complete list of my known powers. Actually, time hop is my favorite effect, I already used it a couple of times with excellent results.

Isn't energy wall 4th lvl?3rd level, actually. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyWall.htm)

I'd take energy blast or (if your gm will allow it) crisis of breath.Do you mean energy bolt/burst/lance or psionic blast? In any case, as you also point out, they don't fit my power selection; also, they're ok but nothing special (ugly AoE and/or DC doesn't scale).
EDIT
Similar for crisis of breath. Have you experience of using this power with positive results? The double ST + PR make it unattractive to my eyes.

However, given the selections you posed, I would take telekinetic thrust.
More useful.Ok, you're the second one who suggests telekinetic thrust. Which of the two effects do you find more useful? I'm not fond of the option to hurl the enemies away, although I have to confess that 1 target/level is really tempting...

EDIT
On an on-line list I found the following Eberron powers:

Dream spirit, psionic
Faint memory
Forced dream
Glibness, psionic
Helping hand, psionic
Project quori spirit
Secret page, psionic
Secret script
Sense danger
Shrink item, psionic
Stun quori spirit
Thoughtsoothe

I have access to the manuals, so I'll have a look; some of them look unusable, since they are setting-related (quori...), but glibness...I mean...Glibness