PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Curse of the Crimson Throne Character Ideas

Draco_Lord
2017-07-05, 11:47 AM
Hi Everyone, I am going to be running through the Curse of the Crimson Throne adventure, my DM just bought the collection and is pretty excited to run it. But I am having an issue where I am kind of drawing a blank on what kind of character I want to play. More then just a build, I am trying to figure out what kind of character to play, who would fit in nicely, that kind of thing. I am just in a slump, and since I don't want to look up the adventure to avoid having out of character knowledge and spoiling it, I thought I would post here and get some ideas.

Please avoid any spoilers for the adventure.

Florian
2017-07-06, 05:53 AM
That can actually be pretty easy: YouŽre a happy and loyal citizen of Korvosa and you feel the need to act for the common good of your home city and your fellow citizens.

aberratio ictus
2017-07-06, 05:56 AM
You could also be an unhappy citizen of Korvosa who simply doesn't want things to get worse for the city's inhabitants. :smallbiggrin:

Seriously, as long as have some interest in the wellbeing of the city and/or its inhabitants, you can play everything you want.

Draco_Lord
2017-07-06, 10:03 AM
So sounds like a paladin might be a good idea. Go with the Framed trait and have my Paladin's mother framed when he was younger, though I would prefer to adjust it a little bit and have him gain a bonus to diplomacy over bluff... maybe I can convince the DM to let me switch that up a little bit.

His goal would be improving the city, and maybe even try to join the guard or those guys who win on hypogriffs.

Florian
2017-07-06, 10:24 AM
So sounds like a paladin might be a good idea. Go with the Framed trait and have my Paladin's mother framed when he was younger, though I would prefer to adjust it a little bit and have him gain a bonus to diplomacy over bluff... maybe I can convince the DM to let me switch that up a little bit.

His goal would be improving the city, and maybe even try to join the guard or those guys who win on hypogriffs.

Just make sure and check one thing with your gm: stance on alignment and the paladin code.

Elder_Basilisk
2017-07-06, 11:13 AM
I haven't played or read the adventure path but it seems likely that the characters will have to operate outside the law at least sometimes if you are going to stop the villains who have powerful roles in the government. (I have seen a few spoilers in various threads). So if you want a martial or semi-martial, vigilante might be a good choice. You can fill the Fighter or paladin role in your group but get a bunch more social skills and some subterfuge abilities to play with.

MesiDoomstalker
2017-07-06, 11:35 AM

Just make sure and check one thing with your gm: stance on alignment and the paladin code.

This. I'm in the middle of the game (by middle, I mean the first 1/3 of the first book) and I've already encountered situations where a Paladin playing under a draconian GM will fall without doing the doing utmost specific course of action. It's an AP of compromise and moral gray. If your GM won't make you fall without good reason, a Paladin is a great character. Just be careful of other PCs, the AP tends to draw characters south of good as well.

Draco_Lord
2017-07-06, 12:45 PM

This. I'm in the middle of the game (by middle, I mean the first 1/3 of the first book) and I've already encountered situations where a Paladin playing under a draconian GM will fall without doing the doing utmost specific course of action. It's an AP of compromise and moral gray. If your GM won't make you fall without good reason, a Paladin is a great character. Just be careful of other PCs, the AP tends to draw characters south of good as well.

My DM is not the type to hit me with a fall without good reason, they have a love for Paladins, as long as I don't go around kicking puppies I should be good.

Though I like the idea of the party having a bit of friction over good vs law, as my paladin would definitely fall more towards doing Good over being Lawful, and if I have to keep the party good as well, I will do my best to do so.

Florian
2017-07-06, 01:26 PM
My DM is not the type to hit me with a fall without good reason, they have a love for Paladins, as long as I don't go around kicking puppies I should be good.

Though I like the idea of the party having a bit of friction over good vs law, as my paladin would definitely fall more towards doing Good over being Lawful, and if I have to keep the party good as well, I will do my best to do so.

Hm, ok, some general thoughts:

Pick Sarenrae as your patron deity and read her modified paladin code. It puts "Good" smack above "Law" and is a pretty cool tea,-player code.

Three human ethnicities play a role in this AP. Go for a chelish descended human to either avoid or max out tension as it pleases you.

Speaking about Sarenrae, consider going for a regular Oradin build (Paladin with 1-4 levels or Oracle). YouŽll want the Life Mystery and the Inerrant Voice and Pei Zin Practitioner on the Oracle, youŽll want no archetype but an Oath of Vengeance on your Paladin. The oath should be "Resist Ilyosa and everyone that supports her!". Rest is the standard "Devastator" build, so Power Attack, high-crit Twohander, etc., as this AP features many very small maps.

MesiDoomstalker
2017-07-06, 01:26 PM

Well to put it in perspective my group consists of;

Chelixian Noblewoman, devout infernalist, whose whole motivation is to get back her little cousin that Lamm kidnapped.
Inquisitor of Norgorber who emobies his dieties' philosophy to the core
a Former Guard of Korvosa who was framed and thrown in prison when he tried to take down Lamm on his own. He now hates himself and distrusts the guard
former child slave of Lamm's. She's super pissed about it.
another former child slave, who killed a high ranking official in the sable marines, stole his armor and now is slowly being 'corrupted' by the purse spirit of the sable marine
another another former child slave, who escaped and learned the techniques of the Fool (Path of War thing)
another another another former child slave, who got turned into an Elan and has echoes of his former self plaguing him memories (myself)

Our Alignment spread hits everything but NE, LG, CE and LN. Which ya we have 5 alignments but the point is we have a diverse party.

Draco_Lord
2017-07-06, 02:14 PM
Hm, ok, some general thoughts:

Pick Sarenrae as your patron deity and read her modified paladin code. It puts "Good" smack above "Law" and is a pretty cool tea,-player code.

Three human ethnicities play a role in this AP. Go for a chelish descended human to either avoid or max out tension as it pleases you.

Speaking about Sarenrae, consider going for a regular Oradin build (Paladin with 1-4 levels or Oracle). YouŽll want the Life Mystery and the Inerrant Voice and Pei Zin Practitioner on the Oracle, youŽll want no archetype but an Oath of Vengeance on your Paladin. The oath should be "Resist Ilyosa and everyone that supports her!". Rest is the standard "Devastator" build, so Power Attack, high-crit Twohander, etc., as this AP features many very small maps.

Sarenrae sounds kind of perfect for my Paladin, I like the morals, and honestly it sounds like a lot of fun trying to redeem who I can, including the crimelord we all have a thing against.

Chelish seems interesting, especially given their more evil roots, makes for a nice contrast.

I am not as familiar with the Oradin build, I was thinking about going for the monstrous mount feat and getting myself a griffon companion, since it sounds pretty cool to have a pet that can smite my enemies. Though looking up Ilyosa, that bit might have to wait, I don't have a reason why my paladin would dislike her yet, and I am avoiding reading her page cause I would like to go into this as blind as possible.

Florian
2017-07-06, 02:19 PM
I am not as familiar with the Oradin build, I was thinking about going for the monstrous mount feat and getting myself a griffon companion, since it sounds pretty cool to have a pet that can smite my enemies. Though looking up Ilyosa, that bit might have to wait, I don't have a reason why my paladin would dislike her yet, and I am avoiding reading her page cause I would like to go into this as blind as possible.

Oradin is a very simple and effective build. The Life Oracle has the Lifelink Mystery, giving your allies Fast Healing 5 when damaged, but you take their damage instead. You can link one party member per oracle level, so, taking potential NPC into account, with a party of 4, you should have 4 levels of Oracle. Now Paladins have Lay on Hands and can use it as a swift action on themselves. That combined makes for a very effective in-combat healing build. (Pei Zin will give you a second set of LoH, Inerrant Voice will let you swap places with an ally and take the hit instead).

DonŽt worry about the Oath. It comes online at 3rd level, when the whole storyline of this AP picks up speed and the aforementioned oath will make sense.

Edit:Please note that youŽll need to take Extra Mystery: Lifelink and Extra Lay on Hands to make it work.

Draco_Lord
2017-07-06, 02:40 PM
Oradin is a very simple and effective build. The Life Oracle has the Lifelink Mystery, giving your allies Fast Healing 5 when damaged, but you take their damage instead. You can link one party member per oracle level, so, taking potential NPC into account, with a party of 4, you should have 4 levels of Oracle. Now Paladins have Lay on Hands and can use it as a swift action on themselves. That combined makes for a very effective in-combat healing build. (Pei Zin will give you a second set of LoH, Inerrant Voice will let you swap places with an ally and take the hit instead).

DonŽt worry about the Oath. It comes online at 3rd level, when the whole storyline of this AP picks up speed and the aforementioned oath will make sense.

Edit:Please note that youŽll need to take Extra Mystery: Lifelink and Extra Lay on Hands to make it work.

That really is a cool build. I like Life Link, and combining that with the ability to trade places, and one day a ring of regeneration, this makes for an effective tank and healer. We do have a cleric though, so it might not be as needed, but I like the idea. Especially if I can get the oracle curse in story, though that requires planning with the DM.

Florian
2017-07-06, 04:09 PM
That really is a cool build. I like Life Link, and combining that with the ability to trade places, and one day a ring of regeneration, this makes for an effective tank and healer. We do have a cleric though, so it might not be as needed, but I like the idea. Especially if I can get the oracle curse in story, though that requires planning with the DM.

No need for the ring. Basic spell choice should be Celestial Healing, giving CL/fast Healing for CL/rounds - so FH4/4 rounds.

Careful with your assessment. In this AP, thereŽre section where Channel Energy will be needed for something other than healing, then a Cleric without an off-healer will be hard pressed and running low on resources.

Edit. If youŽre fine with the Cheliax background, consider the "Legalistic" curse. Keep in mind that Paladin levels count as 1/2 Oracle levels towards the benefits of the curse.