PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Iaijutsu Master Fighter Archetype: Samurai [PEACH]

Llama513
2017-07-05, 01:37 PM
This is based on the Iaijutsu Master from the oriental adventures book.

The homebrewery is here (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByQ21bn54Z)

Surrealistik
2017-07-05, 03:20 PM
Strike With No Thought is broken strong, even for an L18 feature.

I'd change it such that moving into a square within your reach provokes an opportunity attack, and the first opportunity attack you make each turn doesn't require or expend your reaction, and even that I'm leery about.

Iaijutsu Speed:

"You can use your dexterity modifier for your attack and damage rolls made with a Longsword." - Why not change this to "Longswords have the finesse property for you"? Do you specifically not want the character to treat it as a finesse weapon?

Llama513
2017-07-05, 03:26 PM
Strike With No Thought is broken strong, even for an L18 feature.

I'd change it such that moving into a square within your reach provokes an opportunity attack, and the first opportunity attack you make each turn doesn't require or expend your reaction, and even that I'm leery about.

Iaijutsu Speed:

"You can use your dexterity modifier for your attack and damage rolls made with a Longsword." - Why not change this to "Longswords have the finesse property for you"? Do you specifically not want the character to treat it as a finesse weapon?

Will make the change to Strike With No Thought, and yes I purposely made it not be finesse, just like with monk and their unarmed strike, because I don't want this to work with rogue, since a samurai would not stoop to sneak attacks, thus keeping the weapon so that it doesn't work with sneak attack but you can use your dex

Surrealistik
2017-07-05, 04:06 PM
Will make the change to Strike With No Thought, and yes I purposely made it not be finesse, just like with monk and their unarmed strike, because I don't want this to work with rogue, since a samurai would not stoop to sneak attacks, thus keeping the weapon so that it doesn't work with sneak attack but you can use your dex

Makes sense. I wouldn't sweat the multiclass wombos too much as it's not Warlock/Paladin/Sorcerer, but I get the thematic argument.

Unless you deliberately want to further weaken the feature (which I don't necessarily object to), for Strike With No Thought remember to specify that the first opportunity attack doesn't require your reaction as well as not expending it. This is to let you make an OA after you've expended your reaction earlier in the round.

Llama513
2017-07-05, 04:19 PM
Makes sense. I wouldn't sweat the multiclass wombos too much as it's not Warlock/Paladin/Sorcerer, but I get the thematic argument.

Unless you deliberately want to further weaken the feature (which I don't necessarily object to), for Strike With No Thought remember to specify that the first opportunity attack doesn't require your reaction as well as not expending it. This is to let you make an OA after you've expended your reaction earlier in the round.

Should I look to tge knight UA for the wording, or is that too strong

Surrealistik
2017-07-05, 08:29 PM
Should I look to tge knight UA for the wording, or is that too strong

I'd just do it like this:

Whenever a creature moves to a space within your longsword's reach, you can make an opportunity attack against it. Once each turn you may make an opportunity attack without needing or expending your reaction.

Llama513
2017-07-05, 08:39 PM
I'd just do it like this:

Whenever a creature moves to a space within your longsword's reach, you can make an opportunity attack against it. Once each turn you may make an opportunity attack without needing or expending your reaction.

Gotcha, that is very clear

Sicarius Victis
2017-07-06, 06:15 AM
I'd like to point out that the wording of "once each turn", as opposed to "once each round", will potentially allow as many opportunity attacks as opponents in the combat, similarly to how Rogues can get additional Sneak Attacks in other people's turns. I'm not saying it's bad, nor am I saying that I believe you didn't think of that, I'd just like to make sure that this point is brought up just in case you missed it.

Llama513
2017-07-06, 11:52 AM
I'd like to point out that the wording of "once each turn", as opposed to "once each round", will potentially allow as many opportunity attacks as opponents in the combat, similarly to how Rogues can get additional Sneak Attacks in other people's turns. I'm not saying it's bad, nor am I saying that I believe you didn't think of that, I'd just like to make sure that this point is brought up just in case you missed it.

That was the intent, capturing that you strike on instinct, so when a creature moves inside your reach you strike

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-06, 06:10 PM
I like this i also enjoy another samurai archetype

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-06, 06:13 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?424042-Ninja_Prawn-s-Samurai-and-Ronin-Martial-Archetypes-PEACH!.
Very fun i stopped a rampaging goliath barbarian by cutting off his hands. I needed a laijutsu fighting style can anyone help me find it again.