PDA

View Full Version : How great is a Tabaxi Rogue?

CrackedChair
2017-07-05, 02:37 PM
To me, it seems that the Tabaxi have it all covered when it comes to being a rogue. Having 2 great skills to come with, as well as climbing speed, darkvision, and even a movement speed boost makes this Furry Catfolk person seem like a great candidate for being a Rogue.

But well, I don't know what being a Tabaxi will do for me, roleplay and gameplay wise still. These buggers are known for being kleptomaniacs for rather weird reasons, much like an actual cat, and I am not too sure a table of players or the NPC's in-game will see me in a positive light.

So what do you think? I think it has the makings of a great Rogue, but being what they are could hurt me... could it?

DivisibleByZero
2017-07-05, 02:39 PM
So just don't play a kleptomaniac.
Your character is under your control, and it doesn't have to follow the stereotypical cliche if you don't want it to.

Naanomi
2017-07-05, 02:42 PM
Remember your claws are strength based and you can't backstab with them... still a good utility tool but not likely to replace your real weapons

CrackedChair
2017-07-05, 02:48 PM
Well, there goes my plan of unarmed sneak attacks...

DivisibleByZero
2017-07-05, 02:57 PM

Wouldn't work anyway. Claws don't have the finesse property. Your DM could rule otherwise, but by RAW you can't sneak attack with them because they don't have the finesse property.

Trum4n1208
2017-07-05, 03:04 PM

Just ask your DM, he/she/they/whatever might let you.

Gryndle
2017-07-05, 03:05 PM
I have a player that is currently running a Tabaxi revised Hunter ranger with archery fighting style. Only 4th level so far, but his hit and run tactics have played havoc on goblins and worgs so far.

As a DM I would allow Tabaxi to sneak attack with their claws. it isn't game breaking, IS thematic so why not.

Biggstick
2017-07-05, 03:07 PM
I mean I don't know any stereotypes about Tabaxi being kleptomaniacs. I would guess there are more misconceptions about Rogues then there are Tabaxi.

Read the Volo's guide on Tabaxi. There is a ton of great roleplaying information for the race there. Most of it doesn't include information about Tabaxi being kleptomaniacs. I would argue that Tabaxi are some of the best for adventuring, as they care little for gold, obsess over things, and move on to the next obsession at a whim. It's easy to RP a pretty big change of interests as a Tabaxi as you're playing what WOTC says is typical of them.

As for Tabaxi Rogue, it's a pretty amazing combination. Throwing on 5-6 levels of Fighter or Ranger to your 10+ levels of Rogue makes for an incredibly potent ranged combatant. Or just staying pure Rogue will work out great too. Being able to, at level two, reach speeds of 180' movement on a single turn is pretty incredible.

CursedRhubarb
2017-07-05, 03:32 PM
I have a Tabaxi Rogue Thief that I'm about to run for a campaign and I'm stoked to try him out.

The movement speed boost looks to be amazing for a rogue since you can dash+double your speed to get 120 speed (even straight up a cliff with climbing speed) or you can use it to effectively disengage+dash on the same turn if you get surrounded. That it isn't limited to a number of times per rest but just having to wait one turn without moving before you can use it again makes it very easy to use, and use often.

I'm thinking of playing off the lore in Volo's to have my Tabaxi more interested in breaking in to see what was hidden away and why, rather than for desire to actually take anything. To see the treasures the world had to offer, and if coin is needed to sell secrets on how to get past defenses of said treasures.

Rogerdodger557
2017-07-06, 11:28 AM

It might work if you multiclass monk

DivisibleByZero
2017-07-06, 11:29 AM
It might work if you multiclass monk

Still not finesse. Martail Arts allowing you to use DEX to attack/damage does not give your weapon the finesse property. It merely allows yo to treat it as such.
A Rogue/Monk cannot use a quaterstaff to sneak attack, for example, because a quaterstaff is not a ranged weapon and does not have the finesse property, no matter which stat you use to attack. Tabaxi claws would be no different.
It doesn't work at all without DM intervention. Not by the rules, anyway.

Vaz
2017-07-06, 12:16 PM
You're not even proficient with your claws either.

Naanomi
2017-07-06, 12:22 PM
You're not even proficient with your claws either.
Your claws are an unarmed attack, everyone is proficient in their unarmed attacks

Just grab a rapier and Puss-in-Boots it... use claws for cinematic things like cutting purses and ropes

Beleriphon
2017-07-06, 12:43 PM
Your claws are an unarmed attack, everyone is proficient in their unarmed attacks

Just grab a rapier and Puss-in-Boots it... use claws for cinematic things like cutting purses and ropes

This. Just remember a tabaxi is always armed, and can use the claws in any situation that would require a knife.

Belltent
2017-07-06, 12:57 PM
But well, I don't know what being a Tabaxi will do for me, roleplay and gameplay wise still. These buggers are known for being kleptomaniacs for rather weird reasons, much like an actual cat, and I am not too sure a table of players or the NPC's in-game will see me in a positive light.

So what do you think? I think it has the makings of a great Rogue, but being what they are could hurt me... could it?

Well, what is your take on what you read in VGtM? Only some steal and that's typically when they couldn't get what they wanted through legal means. Nothing in there says they must be a klepto or that they will always be regarded as one. You can play it how you want.

Beleriphon
2017-07-06, 01:46 PM
Well, what is your take on what you read in VGtM? Only some steal and that's typically when they couldn't get what they wanted through legal means. Nothing in there says they must be a klepto or that they will always be regarded as one. You can play it how you want.

I got the impression from VGtM that tabaxi are largely amoral on thieving, in so far as they'd prefer to get things through regular and legal means but have no compunction about stealing things, at least in general. They recognize it makes people upset which is why regular legal methods are better, but hey a cat's gotta eat right?

qube
2017-07-06, 01:52 PM
There is an ... very weird (IMHO) ruling of sage advice that you can't sneak taack with unarmed strikes, because they are not weapons.

(yeah, I'm like; screw that noise. if it's not OP, then go right ahead. you can't get monk levels to boost unarmed damage, and rogue levels to boost sneak attack at teh same time anyway)

Dudewithknives
2017-07-06, 01:53 PM
I played a Tabaxi Rogue, I can not tell you how many times I made having a natural climb speed a golden opportunity.

The extra movement was ok, but rarely needed.

DivisibleByZero
2017-07-06, 02:52 PM
There is an ... very weird (IMHO) ruling of sage advice that you can't sneak taack with unarmed strikes, because they are not weapons.

(yeah, I'm like; screw that noise. if it's not OP, then go right ahead. you can't get monk levels to boost unarmed damage, and rogue levels to boost sneak attack at teh same time anyway)

It's not because they aren't weapons. Well, it kind of is, but only indirectly.
It's because they don't have the finesse property (and that's partially because they aren't weapons, per se).

nickl_2000
2017-07-07, 06:35 AM
I played a Tabaxi Rogue, I can not tell you how many times I made having a natural climb speed a golden opportunity.

The extra movement was ok, but rarely needed.

You rarely used the extra movement? In our campaign our Tabaxi EK uses his extra movement at least once a combat, often twice!

Vaz
2017-07-07, 06:48 AM

Forgot the Errata. Just double checked.

ZB2017
2017-07-08, 11:07 AM
its pretty odd that you can't sneak attack with an unarmed attack ... since that would honestly make for the most sensible means for someone to actually attack with in a quick / sneaky manner

Matrix_Walker
2017-07-08, 11:13 AM
Kinda hard to slip your fist between someone's ribs to get to their vitals...

Princess
2017-07-08, 11:25 AM
Kinda hard to slip your fist between someone's ribs to get to their vitals...

Pretty easy to exploit major nerve endings and squishy parts of the body with properly applied knuckle pressure. It's called unarmed strike, not "closed awkward amateur fist."

Dalebert
2017-07-08, 04:25 PM
When you're a ranged rogue, you don't have to waste bonus actions on disengage much. Means you can hide or dash more. All the extra movement of a tabaxi means it's easy to get within 30 feet for a hand xbow attack.

My tabaxi just hit 5th and rebuilt to 1st level Fighter with archery style and 4th level Arcane Trickster. My feat is Crossbow Expert and he has a +1 hand xbow. So to-hit is already +9 with just a 16 dex and he gets two chances to land his sneak attack. I have +1 Mithril Splint Mail on another character with plans to trade soon that will let him have 18 AC and no armor penalties despite just 8 str. I will next take resilient Dex that will bump me to 18 dex and have great saves (str,dex,con prof), eventually including wis prof. Eventually will probably take Sharpshooter as I'll have pretty dang good chance to hit especially considering familiar assist or hide or mage hand assist giving me advantage a lot.

Naanomi
2017-07-08, 04:30 PM
Pretty easy to exploit major nerve endings and squishy parts of the body with properly applied knuckle pressure. It's called unarmed strike, not "closed awkward amateur fist."
Sounds like something I don't mind a monk/rogue doing (though I realize RAW says they still can't; though I tend to house-rule it to be OK)... but requiring a weapon to get at vulnerable bits with fits my genre convention imagery pretty well

Vaz
2017-07-08, 04:34 PM
its pretty odd that you can't sneak attack with an unarmed attack ... since that would honestly make for the most sensible means for someone to actually attack with in a quick / sneaky manner

Punch to the temple, sternum or nape = good night gracie. That could be Stunning Strike or Sneak Attack. A Sap/Blackjack/small club used to be a Sneak Attack viable weapon.

MeeposFire
2017-07-08, 04:41 PM
Clubs used to be directly mentioned for back stabs back in the day (they figured it needed to be mentioned that even though the ability was back stab it did not have to literally involve stabbing) but sadly the thematic way they have been trying to make sneak attack works have eliminated some weapons that used to work and that used to be classic.

nickl_2000
2017-07-09, 08:54 AM
Punch to the temple, sternum or nape = good night gracie. That could be Stunning Strike or Sneak Attack. A Sap/Blackjack/small club used to be a Sneak Attack viable weapon.

A sap/blackjack was a weapon in 3.5 when I played, but since you can do non-lethal damage with any melee weapon now without a penalty it is no longer needed.

Dalebert
2017-07-09, 09:15 AM
Making the claws str-based made them more of a flavor choice. I imagine they thought tabaxis were awesome enough without a claw attack as well but figured it would be fine to add for flavor as long as they made it sub-optimal to the point of no one caring that they had it.

Ha Do Ken
2020-01-13, 07:08 PM
To me, it seems that the Tabaxi have it all covered when it comes to being a rogue. Having 2 great skills to come with, as well as climbing speed, darkvision, and even a movement speed boost makes this Furry Catfolk person seem like a great candidate for being a Rogue.

I currently play a Tabaxi Rogue/Hexblade and having a whale of a time. She is a Swashbuckler with a Charlatan background and completely hidden the fact she is a Rogue from the rest of the party (although the players know obviously). This is a great combination and I'm having a lot of fun. Although I can't use my claws to sneak attack because of the 1st level Hex Warrior power from Hexblade I can use my Charisma (of 16) for attack and damage instead of my Strength (8).
I know it's not much but a 1d4+3 unarmed damage instead of 1d4-1 is a massive improvement if you're ever disarmed or otherwise lose your weapon !!

HappyDaze
2020-01-14, 04:54 AM
So, you want to play a tabaxi?
https://www.refinery29.com/images/9081198.jpg?format=jpg&width=720&height=480&quality=80
Think about it...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EJv39A_X0AEGynK?format=jpg&name=small
Really think about it...
https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/methode-times-prod-web-bin-97784a5a-1cf7-11ea-84a6-10ccf4ec8de6.jpg

Klorox
2020-01-14, 05:55 AM
So, you want to play a tabaxi?
https://www.refinery29.com/images/9081198.jpg?format=jpg&width=720&height=480&quality=80
Think about it...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EJv39A_X0AEGynK?format=jpg&name=small
Really think about it...
https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/methode-times-prod-web-bin-97784a5a-1cf7-11ea-84a6-10ccf4ec8de6.jpg

I have a feeling those interested in Tabaxi are the ones who paid to see this film.

loki_ragnarock
2020-01-14, 09:34 AM
That film was exactly the clusterfudge of a train wreck I was hoping for when I preordered tickets. Delightful.

And I've no interest in playing a Tabaxi.

KillingTime
2020-01-14, 02:02 PM
I'm currently playing a tabaxi Rogue 1/ Trickster Cleric 8
She might be mostly Cleric, but she plays almost entirely as a rogue. Great fun and very versatile.

Hairfish
2020-01-14, 02:16 PM
Tabaxi goes well with the Swashbuckler subclass, so you get more initiative, the ability to 1v1 with sneak attack, and your 9th-level ability gets a bit of a boost.

If you expertise Stealth, then you get to be Batman (or Catwoman? ... whip is a finesse weapon) in the stalker portions of the Arkham games, because you can attack, disengage, dash (with a climb speed, even), and hide all in one turn, every other round.

Kurt Kurageous
2020-01-14, 03:25 PM
Trying to bring this thread back on it's intent.

My tabaxi rogue courtier is a mastermind. The climbing thing and doubling movement thing allows me to help anyone in the party, even if they are spread out.

Vertical movement is frankly awesome. I use my movement as the means of activating my help action, moving to distract one foe and then another with wild tumbles and cartwheels. I doubled proficiency in acrobatics.

In short, Tigger from the 100 Acre Woods.

So, a blast to play, a big help to the party, and I only roll to avoid falling down. How great? "The wonderful thing about..."

Now if I can just find boots of striding and springing...

micahaphone
2020-01-14, 04:24 PM
The claws are daggers without finesse and can't be thrown, but you can't be disarmed. I guess a jailor could stick thick gloves over your hands as a part of a manacles set, that's close enough to being disarmed.

Personally, if someone wanted to play a Tabaxi rogue at my table I'd feel free to add finesse to their claws. How often do you disarm your players, and how hard would you make it for a rogue that wanted to hide a weapon on their person anyway? A rogue always having a dagger on hand (that they can't throw) won't imbalance my game.

I'm reminded of Fallout: New Vegas, where there's certain "weapon free" zones, and you get frisked at the front door. Some small weapons, like knives, small pistols, and brass knuckles, can be snuck in past that checkpoint. If your stealth skill is higher, you unlock the ability to keep a bigger range of guns, explosives and melee weapons with you.