PDA

View Full Version : Valatar in Peril IC

Volthawk
2017-07-05, 06:25 PM
These days, people felt unsafe even on the largest major roads, such as those that facilitated some of the realm's largest trade routes, which had regular patrols. With that in mind, it's easy to imagine the thoughts of your companions, a considerably large family of local villagers returning home after a trip to one of the larger towns - something about a son who ran off into the world with the daughter of another family, a grudge between the families and apparently an amicable resolution. Whenever they met each of you, they had eagerly offered to give you a ride on their wagons and to give you food and supplies in exchange for protection, as well as telling you of their village's trouble.

A month ago, they were attacked by some kind of glowing beetle-men, small in stature but armoured and tough compared to the villagers, emerging in the village through a tunnel bored by another giant beetle. They killed a few villagers, and incapacitated others, dragging the bodies down into the tunnels they emerged from. Since then, the hole they came from has been built over and put under constant watch, fearing another attack. Once, before they were done with covering it, a local had convinced the watchers to let them down there, and never returned. The head of the village is offering a reward to anyone who can deal with these creatures and find out the fates of those taken, to give their families some closure.

At the moment, you are still half a day's travel away from the village, travelling through a small wood. The villagers are jumpy, their heads jerking over at every rustle and constantly glancing at or touching their basic weapons - light axes, mostly. Despite their paranoia, for now it is quiet - you haven't had to fight anything since you joined up with them, as despite the fears most short journeys here still preceded without trouble. For now, anyway. At the least, this is an opportunity for talk or distraction, something to pass the time before you arrive or something stops you.

DemonRukasu
2017-07-05, 07:05 PM
Grimweld jumps into the back of the wagon that contained the other adventurers as soon as his mount starts to fade.

"I need to work on the duration of that spell..." he sighs and looks in the general direction "What are you people up to? I believe we haven't met properly, my... heh... friends call me Grimweld."

Miry
2017-07-05, 07:23 PM
Aenah was sitting alone in a corner of the wagon. The villagers had been kind and really good to her, but she still felt like she didnt belong with them.

She was lost in the thoughts when Grimweld jump in the wagon. Startled a bit, she let a nervous laugh out after figuring there was no imminent danger.

" N...Nice to meet you. I'm Aenah. Want bring you in Valatar? This is a bad time for traveling around here..."

She left the words hanging, thinking about the rumors she heard recently, and the thing she saw nearly a year ago.

DemonRukasu
2017-07-05, 07:42 PM
Grimweld didn't want to reveal his true nature yet, for now he was just a human magus. But he didn't like the idea of being dishonest with someone that might help him later. He tries to hide the parts that would scare someone that just met him.

"I'm from a small human kingdom situated in a valley between two mountains. I worked as a mercenary there for some years and some weeks ago i heard there was abominations and monstrocities in here that could take a beating or two. So i came to see if i could get some rewards out of it." He removes his hood, takes a seat on the other side of the wagon and spreads his arms. "And what about you? You don't seem like the kind of lady that would go around punching monsters in the face."

DaOldeWolf
2017-07-06, 12:11 AM
Drake is relaxing on the wagon by laying on his back while he is waiting to arrive to Valatar. A hare sleeps on his chest. He decides to join into the conversation as an opportunity to pass the time. Without changing his position he speaks. "Isn't that what we are all looking for? Fortune? Adventure? Maybe even fame? With things as they are, I cant think of any other reason to go there."

Drake decides he should introduce himself formally. "My name is Drake Silvershard, by the way. And the little fellow sleeping on top of me is Lunar."

HappyMerecat
2017-07-06, 08:33 PM
Merick

Merick looks up at the group. Shorter than the average elf but with quick and lively eyes. "Mostly I am in it to experience ... everything. To learn everything I can and not from books."
A big grin spreads across his face. "And of course to help who I can, one person at a time."

DemonRukasu
2017-07-06, 10:08 PM
Since the lady was clearly lost in her thoughts. He decided to continue talking with the others.

"Eh,is that a familiar perhaps? I always wanted a pet when i was a child." he looks at the clear blue sky "Sad thing my region was lacking in animals due to the pollution and debris generated by the coal and iron mines."

He then sighs and looks at the elf "And you seem to have a nice ambition, learning about the mysteries of life and helping people in need. I wish the people in the kingdom i lived were more like you. All they thought about was trying to loot abandoned castles and sending their minions to purge any opposition while following every one of their damned rules." he takes on a more relaxed stance. "But now that i'm almost three kingdoms away from it i feel like things are going to be different, the people here seem to be more friendly." he smiles "And if i get a reward for saving nice people i can't say no."

DaOldeWolf
2017-07-06, 11:07 PM
"Yes, that is certainly the case. You must have a pretty good eye to know that." He replies trying to compliment him. "I am attuned with nature. At least to some level, I suppose. At the very least, I can say that if you need an extra hand for any job,
you can count on my assistance if you ask for it."

Miry
2017-07-07, 05:28 AM
Aenah realise aftet a moment that a few more peoples joined the conversation while she stayed quiet.

"It's nice to see that there is still a few people who want to help around here."

She smile at them, gratefully, while an otter came out slowly from beneath her cloak and start approching Drake.

She laugh soflty.

" It seems like my familiar Neby is curious about Lunar."

DaOldeWolf
2017-07-07, 09:44 AM
Drake prods at Lunar to wake him up. Lunar had spent most of that day sleeping and he hoped some interaction would help him start Lunarīs day. "Say hello to the others." Lunar woke up and stared at the others for a couple of seconds. Lunar climed down from Drake and approached the otter. He hopped back and forth a couple of times in a playful manner. "It seems like Lunar has gotten interested in yours too." Drake declared.

DemonRukasu
2017-07-07, 10:19 AM
Grimweld looks around the scenery a bit. Trees mostly. "It seems like we are going to have a quiet day." he then perceives that some villagers are distracted and smirks, he grabs a bit of wool from his spell component pouch and casts Ghost Sound to scare them. He creates the sound of a growling bear that seems to be getting closer to them. He giggles as he waits for their reaction.

Volthawk
2017-07-07, 11:35 AM
As the sound of the bear gets louder, the villagers speed the wagons, apparently hoping to outrun it. Those that are armed look out in the relevant direction, particularly the father, armed with a heavy crossbow.

One villager, one of the younger men, worriedly mentions the story he heard of a giant metal-covered bear he heard in the last tavern they stopped at, and promptly gets a slap across the back of the head by his father, and a warning to stop with those drunk's tales.

Let's have a Perception check from you all, for reasons.

DemonRukasu
2017-07-07, 12:01 PM
Perception

[roll0]

Fail.

Grimweld was too busy laughing at the villagers to notice anything. He also reinforces the belief on the metal plated bear with an over-exagerated made up comment.

"The tales about the metal plated bear are true, i've studied many books and it is listed as one of the Great Roaming Monsters of this continent. Half bear half machine, created by a mad gnome scientist, it's plates can turn him invisible when he hunts. I was terrified when the book pointed out that he liked to drag his victims slowly through a bed of sharp rocks while it's still alive to separate it's organs from it's body!"

He tries not to laugh as hard as he can.

Miry
2017-07-08, 05:53 AM
Perception: [roll0]

Spellcraft to identify the spell Grimweld just cast:[roll1]

Seeing Grimweld casting a spell, Aenah concentrate and try to anazyle what spell it is. She discover he use his magic to scare the peasants.

She look at him with a stern look, but say nothing. She did not approve, but didnt want to start a confrontaion here and now.

NiKkatsu
2017-07-08, 10:51 AM
Since the beginning of the trip, a gnome was sitting alone in a corner, babbling to himself in different languages - Draconic, Gnome, Giant, Sylvan. Truth is, Yggdraz wasn't very interested by his travelling companions as they all seemed so serious and uninteresting - that is, until the mention of a machine-bear created by a gnome inventor. His steel blue eyes suddenly light as he turns to the others:

'Really? A machine-bear? We should capture it and study it, don't you think? Tell me more of this, strangely-pale ''human''! In what alloy is his armor forged? And what of the inventor? Do you know anything about HIM?'

The gnome jumps to his feet and comes to sit next to Grimweld, staring at him hopefully.

Then, turning to face the front of the cart:Human-driver! Stop the cart. My companions and I wish to hunt the machine-bear!

NiKkatsu
2017-07-08, 10:58 AM
[roll0] for perception

DaOldeWolf
2017-07-08, 11:01 AM
Making the perception check
[roll0]

DemonRukasu
2017-07-08, 11:03 AM
Grimweld was amazed by the eagerness of the gnome, he decides to continue.

"Fu fu fu. Do you think you can handle it? It is said that horrible things happen to those who encounter the bear, if they manage to come back alive, they die in the next week from it's poisonous bite." he then lets out a small grin. "But i could really use a plated bear fur cape!"

NiKkatsu
2017-07-08, 11:18 AM
Grimweld was amazed by the eagerness of the gnome, he decides to continue.

"Fu fu fu. Do you think you can handle it? It is said that horrible things happen to those who encounter the bear, if they manage to come back alive, they die in the next week from it's poisonous bite." he then lets out a small grin. "But i could really use a plated bear fur cape!"

Ygg seems very pleased by Grimwelds answer. He scoffs. 'Poison bites from machine-bear? Please. I've seen worse. Of course Ygg can handle it, pale human.' He lowers his voice and leans closer to Gimweld before adding: 'And if you help me, I just might forge you a weapon with it's claws. I'm ALSO an inventor, after all'

1d20+7 for bluff, as Ygg has no intention of handing over the machine-bear claws

NiKkatsu
2017-07-08, 11:20 AM
[roll0] is the actual roll. sorry about that

Volthawk
2017-07-08, 11:24 AM
The father apparently in charge of the family of villagers laughs as the wagon shows no sign of stopping or slowing. "It doesn't exist, and if it is here I'm not stopping while we're still nearby."

Read all the boxes up to the DC you beat (so if you beat DC20, read all of them).

Perception DC 10

You notice movement in the bushes up ahead, about 100ft down and to the right of the road. Can't make out what's causing it, though.

Perception DC 15

Those are definitely humanoid figures up ahead in the bushes, you still can't make out details but they seem rather dark-coloured, and small - like a halfling or child. Seems like there's three of them.

Perception DC 20

Those aren't any normal humanoids - they definitely look insect-like, much like the description of the villagers' attackers. They don't seem to glow, however, unlike the ones that they described. Asides from the three above, you notice a fourth hiding up high in a tree.

There's some kind of quiet rumbling sound, somewhat quiet but seeming to come from a point ahead of you, from the ground. You can't pinpoint it further though.

NiKkatsu
2017-07-08, 11:30 AM
Yggdraz pouts because the driver refuses to let the party hunt for the machine-bear. 'You're no fun, older-driver-person.'

DemonRukasu
2017-07-08, 11:39 AM
Grimweld laughs.

"Almost got them!" he looks at the father "How long untill we get there? I don't want any scary bears eating me alive!"

He continues laughing.

Miry
2017-07-08, 12:07 PM
Something catch Aenah's attention up ahead. She stare for a moment, then take some component in her spell pouch. She look at the others beside her in the caravan.

"Get ready, there is something ahead"

She wait a few more second, then star incanting, while releasing a pinch of fine sand she took in her pouch.

Casting sleep, range of 110 ft, trying to affect the most target i can in a 10 ft radius.

Will save dc 15 to resist.

Once the spell take effect, she simply say

"Now."

She draw her sickle and jump off the cart, running toward the ambush, hoping her spell took effect.

DemonRukasu
2017-07-08, 12:20 PM
Grimweld gets alerted by Aenah's sudden change of behavior and pulls out his flail from the inside of his coat.

"It was too nice of a day wasn't it?" he smirks while following Aenah into the battle.

Volthawk
2017-07-08, 12:31 PM
Aenah's magic acts on them to great effect, as all of them fall asleep. The one hiding in the tree is no exception, falling out of his perch and landing flat on its mandibles. That woke it up, but left it slightly hurt and still lying on the ground.

Now they're no longer hiding, you can see their appearance. They're rather small humanoids, about the size of a halfling, and appearing pretty much like brownish beetles in humanoid form, two pairs of limbs enlarged to function as arms and legs, the others mostly vestigial. These ones are unarmed, only having their mandibles to bite with. Unlike the ones described by the villagers, these ones are currently not glowing in any way.

The villagers, hearing the warnings and seeing you spring into action, generally back away. The exception is the patriarch of the family, who stands his ground with his crossbow.

Beetleman 1: Asleep
Beetleman 2: Asleep
Beetleman 3: Asleep
Beetleman 4: 2 damage, prone

Alright, initiative time. The only villager helping you is crossbow dad.

DemonRukasu
2017-07-08, 12:42 PM
Initiative

[roll0]

NiKkatsu
2017-07-08, 12:45 PM
Seeing the others move into action, but not spotting anything hostile, he thinks to himself: ''could it be the machine-bear?''. A covetous look burns in his eyes as he draws his gnome pincher, one of his very own inventions, and get's ready to fight. He stays close to Grimweld, hoping to catch an opponent off-guard while it is busy fighting the strange man.

[roll0]

Miry
2017-07-09, 07:24 AM
Aenah move toward the creatures, then assume a defencive stance while waiting for her "companion"

Start 80ft away (since i said she start running after her spell)
Move 30ft toward the creature
Total defence +4 ac

NiKkatsu
2017-07-09, 08:15 AM
Yggdraz delays his action until after Grimweld's.

DaOldeWolf
2017-07-09, 02:25 PM
Drake decides to get closer to his enemies and face them in battle by moving just besides Aenah. He grabs his weapon ready to fight.

Moving 30 ft and besides Aenah

Volthawk
2017-07-09, 02:54 PM
The beetleman pulls himself to its feet, and seeing the group advancing, shouts out in a language none of you understand. He grabs the beetle next to it, shaking it until it stirs.

Meanwhile, the rumbling Aenah heard becomes loud enough for everyone to hear, as well as a growing chittering sound as a creature emerges from the ground in front of the beetles, about 40ft from the leaders of the group. This one is an actual beetle in form, albeit rather large - about the size of a wolf, brown in colours but with glowing green spots on its carapace.

So distance-wise, the giant beetle is 40ft away from Aenah/Drake, and the other beetles are 10ft behind it.

Beetleman 4 rose from prone (move) and woke up Beetleman 1 (standard).
Giant beetle spent its actions moving to where it is.

Monster Status
Beetleman 1: 0 damage; None
Beetleman 2: 0 damage; Asleep
Beetleman 3: 0 damage; Asleep
Beetleman 4: 2 damage; None
Giant Beetle: 0 damage; None

Initiative
Aenah
Ygg
Drake
Beetleman 4
Giant Beetle
Merick <----- Next
Beetleman 1
Crossbow Dad
Grimweld
Beetleman 3
Beetleman 2

HappyMerecat
2017-07-09, 04:30 PM
Merick

Merick who had been sitting with his bow in his hand drops from the wagon and fires his longbow at the standing beetle man to prevent it from waking another.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Volthawk
2017-07-09, 04:36 PM
The beetleman avoids the incoming arrow, screeching something indecipherable at the group as the newly awoken beetleman wakes up another of their group. The villager fires his crossbow at the giant beetle, but the bolt merely deflects off its thick exoskeleton.

1 wakes up 3, and the villager fails his crossbow attack.

Monster Status
Beetleman 3: 0 damage; None

Initiative
Aenah
Ygg
Drake
Beetleman 4
Giant Beetle
Merick
Beetleman 1
Crossbow Dad
Grimweld <----- Next
Beetleman 3
Beetleman 2

DemonRukasu
2017-07-09, 05:11 PM
Grimweld positions himself in front of the others to take some attention off them.

starts at 90ft. Double move to 45ft.

He then says
"The big one is mine, kill the smaller ones! Try to capture one if you can!"

NiKkatsu
2017-07-09, 06:13 PM
Yggdraz advances in Grimweld's stead, hanging just a little bit behind him.

Volthawk
2017-07-09, 07:09 PM
Waking up and seeing the adventurers advancing, one of the beetlemen screeches and charges, chomping at Grimweld with its large jaws. Meanwhile, one last beetle continues to slumber.

Beetleman 3 charges at Grimweld and hits, dealing 4 damage.
Beetleman 2 snoozes.

Monster Status
Beetleman 3: 0 damage; -2 AC

Initiative
Aenah <--- Next
Beetleman 4
Giant Beetle
Merick
Beetleman 1
Crossbow Dad
Grimweld
Ygg
Beetleman 3
Beetleman 2

Miry
2017-07-09, 07:43 PM
Aenah take a step back and start to chant in sylvan.

5-ft step back
Evil eye (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/hexes-3rd-party-publishers/hexes/common-hexes/hex-evil-eye-su/) on the creature attacking Grimwald, -2 AC.
Last 7 round, or 1 if he succed a will save DC 15

Volthawk
2017-07-09, 08:35 PM
The beetleman that first woke up seems... somewhat annoyed by its ally charging off (at least as far as you can tell), chittering away in its language as it wakes up its last comrade. The giant beetle charges forwards, attacking Grimweld with its notably larger mandibles, although it only glances him, failing to penetrate his armour.

Giant beetle charges at Grimweld and misses with a total of 14.
Beetleman 2 finally gets woken up.
Beetleman 3 succeeds on his save, so is only affected for this round.

Monster Status
Beetleman 2: 0 damage; None
Beetleman 3: 0 damage; -4 AC
Giant Beetle: 0 damage; -2 AC

Initiative
Aenah
Beetleman 4
Giant Beetle
Merick <--- Next
Beetleman 1
Crossbow Dad
Grimweld
Ygg
Beetleman 3
Beetleman 2

HappyMerecat
2017-07-09, 08:42 PM
Merick

Merick nocks another arrow and lets it fly at the same beetle man he shot at before.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Volthawk
2017-07-09, 08:56 PM
As soon as its done waking up its ally, complaining the whole time, the beetleman takes an arrow through the head and drops to the ground, still. Another, seeing this, moves forward, although more carefully than the others, wary of more arrows its way.

Beetleman 4 is dead.
Beetleman 1 moves 30ft closer (15ft from Grimweld) and takes the total defence action.
Crossbow dad reloads his heavy crossbow.

Monster Status
Beetleman 1: 0 damage; +4 AC
Beetleman 3: 0 damage; -4 AC
Beetleman 4: Dead
Giant Beetle: 0 damage; -2 AC

Initiative
Aenah
Beetleman 4
Giant Beetle
Merick
Beetleman 1
Crossbow Dad
Grimweld <--- Next
Ygg
Beetleman 3
Beetleman 2

DemonRukasu
2017-07-09, 09:11 PM
Grimweld laughs.

"Is that all you've got!? Gnome, attack the humanoid-looking one, it seems to be weakened!"

Grimweld uses his Spell Combat against the big beetle.

[roll0]
[roll1]

he takes a 5-foot step away from the big beetle and casts his spell. (If the big beetle dies with the first attack throw it at beetleman 2.)

[roll2]

He swings his flail in an overhead strike aimed at the beetle's head. Takes a big step back and throws an orb of acid at ???.

NiKkatsu
2017-07-09, 09:54 PM
Ygg, mumbling to himself, sidesteps as the beetleman comes charging by. He moves into flanking position 'I'm not too sure about the pincher. The rapier would probably do more damage to the creature... but the pincher has way more style! What to do?'

He finally draws the rapier at the end of his move action, dropping his gnome pincher.

'Rapier it is!'

He smiles as he strikes, looking for a chink in the beetleman's chitin while it is still distracted by it's charge

[roll0] (added +2 for flanking) and if hit, damage will be [roll1] and [roll2] from sneak

Volthawk
2017-07-10, 02:20 PM
Both Grimweld's and Ygg's attacks land on their targets, but while they're left injured, neither drops yet. The beetleman lashes out with a bite at the gnome, but in its pain only manages to bite air. Meanwhile, the beetleman that was just woken up takes a few moments to see the situation before turning and running into the forest.

Both attacks hit but don't do enough to kill their targets.
Beetleman 3 attacks Ygg but misses.
Beetleman 2 takes a Run action into the woods, moving 120ft away from you.

Monster Status
Beetleman 3: 4 damage; None
Giant Beetle: 9 damage; -2 AC

Initiative
Aenah <--- Next
Beetleman 4
Giant Beetle
Merick
Beetleman 1
Crossbow Dad
Grimweld
Ygg
Beetleman 3
Beetleman 2

Miry
2017-07-10, 03:25 PM
Aenah switch to her bow, still incanting buy targetting the giant beetle instead.

Evil eye hex on the giant beetle. -2 ac, 7 round, or 1 round if it succed a will save dc 15

Volthawk
2017-07-10, 04:15 PM
The beetle, apparently undeterred by the acid and flail to the face, follows Grimweld as it continues in its attempts to bite him, once again foiled by his armour.

The giant beetle 5ft steps forward, attacks and misses with a roll of 16. It succeeds against Evil Eye, so it's only affected for this round.

Monster Status
Giant Beetle: 9 damage; -2 AC

Initiative
Aenah
Beetleman 4
Giant Beetle
Merick <--- Next
Beetleman 1
Crossbow Dad
Grimweld
Ygg
Beetleman 3
Beetleman 2

HappyMerecat
2017-07-10, 06:39 PM
Merick

Merick moves forward knocking an arrow and fires at the fleeing beetleman.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
I assume the beetleman looses any dex to ac due to running.

Volthawk
2017-07-10, 07:16 PM
As Merrick's arrow deflects off the fleeing beetle's carapace, the one that had cautiously advanced moves forward, getting on the other side of Ygg as the wounded beetleman and attempting to bite him. Much like his ally, he fails. The villager, now with a reloaded crossbow, aims and fires at the giant beetle, leaving a nasty injury that still doesn't manage to drop it, although it seems to be on its last legs.

Beetleman 1 moves to flank Ygg, and misses the attack.
Crossbow dad shoots the giant beetle and hits, dealing 5 damage.

Monster Status
Beetleman 2: 3 damage; No Dex to AC
Giant Beetle: 14 damage; -2 AC

Initiative
Aenah
Beetleman 4
Giant Beetle
Merick
Beetleman 1
Crossbow Dad
Grimweld <--- Next
Ygg
Beetleman 3
Beetleman 2

DemonRukasu
2017-07-10, 07:30 PM
Grimweld looks at the giant beetle almost dead in front of him.

"Can't you even hit me once!?"

Grimweld uses spell combat. He first attacks with his flail.

[roll1]

Then takes a 5-foot step away and casts acid splash again. Now aimed at B3.

[roll=Acid Splash Attack]20+1 <Rolling this in the OOC :\
[roll2]

Grimweld decides to repeat the attack he had done. But now instead of an overhead, he strikes from the right, dealing massive damage to the beetle's head. (I want a decapitation. :p)

He then throws an orb of acid at the weakened humanoid beetle that stood nearby.

He proceeds to tell Ygg and any other who plans to attack B1:

"Don't kill that one, try to knock it unconcious. I want to take some information from it!"

NiKkatsu
2017-07-11, 06:50 AM
5ft-stepping to flank this other foe, Yggdraz counters the beetles bite and ripostes with a swift lunge, aiming for a chink in the creatures chitin.

to hit and
[roll1] plus [roll1d6 sneak attack if hit

NiKkatsu
2017-07-11, 06:53 AM
*sneak attack damage [roll0]

DaOldeWolf
2017-07-11, 08:43 AM
Drake felt offended about being ignored by the enemy. He decides to move closer to the one undamaged beetle and cast color spray against it. He decided the best course of action was to remove the healthy one from the fight so his companions could concentrate on finishing the rest.

Drake is moving near the unharmed Beetleman, but just enough to put it within range of his spell. Drake is using his spirit magic spell slot to spontanoeusly cast color spray.

Volthawk
2017-07-11, 09:32 AM
Grimweld's flail smashes into the giant beetle's head, finally causing it to drop, its crushed face leaking a yellowish bloodline substance. The acid causes the first beetleman to fall to the ground, passing out clutching its face. The last beetleman fighting is then first stabbed through the abdomen and then knocked unconscious, Drake's magic proving very effective.

Beetleman 1 failed his save catastrophically (nat 1), so he's affected for 7/2/1 rounds (in terms of the stages of colour spray).

In terms of combat, currently the only active enemy is the fleeing beetleman who after this Run action is ~275ft away. Anyone who wishes to take a shot at him go ahead (since he just moved and it would be a fresh round), but overall I'm dropping us out of combat time, since you have just a minute before any actual enemy combatant is ready to fight you.

DemonRukasu
2017-07-11, 09:44 AM
Grimweld sighs while looking at the wound he got from one of the beetle's bites.

"Revigorating, hehe."

He then goes and grabs the unconcious beetle, dragging it to the wagon. He asks the villagers:

"Do any of you happen to have a rope lying around?"

Miry
2017-07-11, 09:46 AM
Aenah look in the distance, in the direction of the fleeing beetle-man, but sheat her bow on her back.

Turning around, she look at the unconscious creature with disgust.

"We should not let this monster live."

Knowledge roll to know what is those creature:
[roll0], +8 if it is Arcane, Nature or Plate, +4(untrain) for the other knowledge

DemonRukasu
2017-07-11, 09:51 AM
He looks back at Aenah while waiting for the rope.

"Oh believe me, it's going to be worth it." he looks down at the beetleman. "Some way or another."

Miry
2017-07-11, 10:00 AM
" Torturing living creature is never worth it, if that's what you have in mind. Just kill it and be done with it."

DemonRukasu
2017-07-11, 10:09 AM
He smirks.

"Who said i was going to torture it? That's my last resort... hehe"

DaOldeWolf
2017-07-11, 10:44 AM
"Personally, I think we should check the bodies. They could at least hold something of value." Drake suggests to the others.

DemonRukasu
2017-07-11, 11:05 AM
Grimweld seems to agree with Drake's idea.

"Search them if you want to, anything valuable on the big beetle or the acid face is preferrably mine! And be careful, acid face doesn't look dead yet, i wouldn't complain if we captured another one." (Everything points out it's at 0 HP, disabled but not dying.)

He then looks at Aenah.

"You should probably have a look at that yellow blood flowing from the big beetle's head, might point out to something."
(Basically try a knowledge again. And it seems to be a Nature roll, they're totally vermin.)

DaOldeWolf
2017-07-11, 11:17 AM
Drake nods as he begins searching the bodies. "I will try to collect everything and then we can divide them depending on what could be more useful to each of us."

Perception roll to check the bodies for loot. [roll0]

HappyMerecat
2017-07-11, 05:42 PM
Merick

"I would like to talk to it and certainly examine it and the bodies. I have never seen something like this, have any of you?"
Knowledge(Nature) [roll0] + Inspiration [roll1] if they are vermin or monsterous humanoids
Knowledge (History) [roll2] + Inspiration [roll3] too be aware of any historical references to something similar
Knowledge(Geography) [roll4] + Inspiration [roll5] to be aware of any reference to a people like these
Knowledge (Arcane) [roll6] + Inspiration [roll7] if they are magical beasts
Knowledge (Planes) [roll8] + Inspiration [roll9] if they are planar

NiKkatsu
2017-07-12, 05:28 AM
Yggdraz

Ygg wipes his rapier clean, sheaths it and picks up his pincher:

'I've never seen anything like it. I could help with the torture - I mean... "Interrogation" - he winks 'I can understand every existing language, so that can probably be of use. Oh! And I'd like to harvest some chitin. You know, for materials.'

Yggdraz walks towards one of the dead beetles, draws his dagger and starts cutting away.

HappyMerecat
2017-07-12, 07:08 PM
Merick

Merick looks at Yggdraz in disgust. "I would never condone torture and if I ever did, I would not joke about it."

DemonRukasu
2017-07-12, 07:50 PM
Grimweld is annoyed by those honor questions. He tries to put a simple end to it.

"If it's more dead than alive, ends it's misery, and do whatever you want with it. However if it's still alive, learn what it knows and try to make it useful for yourself... And you can't convert someone that you tortured without the risk of being betrayed."

He looks at the beetleman that he is holding with his left hand.

"I'm going to try to make this one help us, by friendship or intimidation."

He whips his flail around for a bit to remove the blood and puts it back into his belt. He then closes his coat, now looking like he is unarmed and unarmored.

Volthawk
2017-07-13, 01:02 PM
By now, the fleeing beetle has vanished into the woods. The captive one is still unconscious, but will become conscious soon (although he'll still be unable to do anything for a short while).

The bugmen and beetle weren't carrying or wearing anything, but when you go over to their hiding place in the bushes you come across something.

A human corpse, presumably of a traveller. His clothes have been torn and chunks of flesh have been torn out by the beetles, and there are no backpacks or the like present. Nonetheless, if you search him you find a small pouch in his pocket holding fifteen gold pieces and three daggers. Near that body is a dead beetleman, a fourth and fifth knife embedded in its head.

The giant beetle appears to be much the same as a normal one, appearing to be a local burrowing beetle at base. The beetlemen also appear to be based on a local beetle variety, known as flash beetles as although they don't usually glow, they can periodically produce a bright flash of light from their abdomen to disorient and dazzle nearby threats.

What the giant beetle bled is not unusual - those beetles just bleed yellow, and their blood is slightly different to ours.

Both kinds of beetle have been known to have naturally large specimens, although they usually stop at about the size of a housecat, not the size seen here.

Obviously, the changes here aren't as simple as usual everyday transmutation. The one who did this is either incredibly powerful in the field, or more likely has access to something special - either some brand new method/spells, a powerful magic item or some kind of raw wild magic, which in some cases is known to massively alter creatures in the area.

There is magic, albeit somewhat rare (although many different kinds of mage can cast it), that can give animals a humanoid form, but making it permanent is incredibly expensive and requires a powerful arcane caster. Some alchemists have developed procedures and mixtures to do this kind of thing, but again making it permanent requires a great expenditure and an experienced alchemist.

In any case, the magic usually doesn't work on vermin, only more developed animals.

Studying the beetlemen, you see that the alterations are not the work of any kind of ongoing magic - it seems to actually be internal, as if the beetlemen themselves are magical and causing themselves to be like this (presumably their intelligence is linked into this).

DemonRukasu
2017-07-13, 03:02 PM
Grimweld hands the beetleman to one of the villagers.

"When you people finish tying this one up, put it in the wagon, make sure it's well tied or it will bite it's way out."

He goes where the others are and analyzes the situation while waiting for everyone to be ready.

[roll0]
[roll1]

HappyMerecat
2017-07-13, 03:21 PM
Merick

Looks examines the beetles. "These are very similar to flash beetles, a local burrowing beetle. The big one is identical other than size. Now sometimes they do grow very large, but no larger than a house cat. There are magics that can make animals humanoids like this, but it does not work on vermin. These seem to not be the result of a caster, but rather it is internal. These creatures are magic and that magic is ... inherently making them this way? Odd."

DemonRukasu
2017-07-13, 03:32 PM
Grimweld looks at the elf.

"My best guess is that there is something about their parents or the place that the eggs were layed that infused these beetles with magic, being magical from birth is more beliavable than a spellcaster casting it over an army of beetles permanently. There must be something magic below that village."

DaOldeWolf
2017-07-13, 05:07 PM
Drake checks the body and decides to take the money. before taking anything else, he decides to try his luck with detect magic. Hopefully, he would find if there was anything special in the weapons. "Letīs see what we got here."

Casting detect magic
Going to check if any of the weapons could be magical.

Miry
2017-07-14, 06:05 AM
Aenah goes back to the caravan. She reassure the villagers if needed, and then sit back in her previous spot.

Volthawk
2017-07-16, 11:29 AM
By the time the beetleman starts to wake up, still stunned and disoriented by his experience, it is tied up and unable to escape, its only real weapon seems to be its jaws, so all that is required is to avoid getting bitten.

Most of the villagers have calmed down, encouraged by your success, and all are back to their places and ready to set off, with the exception of the father. He instead approaches the group around the defeated beetles, and speaks to them. "The big one's like the ones they used to attack us, but smaller - the ones back then were about this size." With his hands, he indicates something a little larger than a man. "They left tunnels as well, lined with something...slimy. The others are like the attackers." Looking at where the giant beetle emerged, you can see that any tunnels it.created have collapsed by now.

None of the daggers are magical.

Missed this earlier.

Cutting away the chitin isn't very clean, but you can gather it fairly easily - it's about as strong as tough leather, although a lot more rigid, and as far as you can tell here doesn't do much special.

DemonRukasu
2017-07-16, 12:19 PM
Grimweld walks back to the wagon, he climbs it's back and sits where he was sitting. He then pulls up his left sleeve just to notice the giant wound left by the bite of one of the beetleman. Some blood drips on the wagon's floor. He looks at Aenah.

"I don't suppose you have prepared a healing spell this morning..."

NiKkatsu
2017-07-16, 12:28 PM
Having finished his work, Yggdraz starts cleaning the chitin before putting it away in his bag. He walks back to the wagon, lost in thought about how he could possibly use this new material in one of his contraptions. He leaps up into the Wagon and sits in his corner, mumbling to himself in a low voice. He seems so lost in thought that he doesn't even pay a glance to anyone.

Miry
2017-07-16, 12:38 PM
Aenah give a stern look at Grimweld. Without answering him, she cast a spell then touch him.

Infernal healing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/infernal-healing/)

"Now you should take care of the beast you insisted on keeping around."

DaOldeWolf
2017-07-16, 12:46 PM
Drake decides to take all the daggers with him. He then goes to meet back with the group. "Everyone, I found 5 daggers on a corpse nearby. If anyone wants one, you can take them."

DemonRukasu
2017-07-16, 01:00 PM
Grimweld smiles.

"Thank you."

He turns to the beetleman, that was thrown at the other end of the wagon by the villagers, and gets near it, not enough for it to bite him but close enough for it to pay attention to him, he is waiting untill it regains it's conciousness to see what it has to say.

He then raises his left hand while still staring at the beetleman.

"I want one or two of the daggers, all if you don't mind. I could really use something to throw at the beetles."

NiKkatsu
2017-07-17, 06:54 AM
Yggdraz

Yggdraz bursts out in laughter.

'hahahahahahaha. ''Throw'' at the beetles. Good one.'

Then, as probably no one is laughing, he frowns upon himself:

'Wait. That wasn't a joke, right? Stupid Ygg. Still can't get the humour thing right.'

He retreats back in thought, counting on his fingers and mumbling to himself again.

Volthawk
2017-07-18, 06:27 PM
The villagers end up avoiding the wagon with the beetleman in it, crowding the others to get away from it, leaving just it and whoever of you want to be there at the wagon. By now, it has awoken, already trying to bite at you and its bindings, to little effect so far, and snarling in its language at you. Naturally, it doesn't seem too happy.

DemonRukasu
2017-07-18, 07:23 PM
Grimweld smiles as the beetleman awakes. He looks at Ygg.

"Hey gnome. You said you can understand any language didn't you? Can you translate what he's saying?"

NiKkatsu
2017-07-20, 06:56 AM
Yggdraz

'No problem. Of course! The magic only lasts ten minutes or so, so let's be quick about it. Oh! and the funny thing is: I can only understand and not speak his language. Kinda forgot to mention that. Let's give it a try anyways.'

Ygg jumps up, cracks his fingers and closes his eyes, concentrating to conjure up the innate magic of his blood. A familiar tingle runs down the back of his neck as it takes effect. He opens his eyes and says, with a satisfied smile:

'I'm listening..'

I was wondering if I could maybe roll a linguistics to try to communicate a few simple concepts in response to the Beetle man? I mean, I'm listening to and understanding it's language. It doesn't seem too far fetched to me. Up to you, mister DM

DemonRukasu
2017-07-20, 11:13 AM
Grimweld has an idea.

"Why don't you write down the words it's saying so we can use it later? Do any of you have writing materials?"