PDA

View Full Version : PotA, Elemental Evil or similar experiences?

MrStabby
2017-07-05, 06:41 PM
The BBEG of my longest running campaign will be approaching - well in about 6 months at the current rate.

This guy is an Elemental Prince of the plane of water and I am looking to tune a brutal fight to end the campaign. I am in a good position as I can still slowly drop in useful magic items that can help with the last fight without it being too obvious.

What I am after is suggestions for great abilities for a water elemental, lair actions and a good environment for fun. I need to tailor it so that all the different classes can contribute effectively.

So far i am thinking of some form of cavern or maybe a temple or bathhouse, something enclosed anyway. The elemental will be in deep water there. There will be areas of shallower water which will be periodically submerged by waves. These shallower areas will be further back and possibly obscured from the deep areas. Someone with ranged effects can contribute from the shallows but is unlikely to be able to directly attack the elemental. Further back still there may be some small areas out of the water (and out of reach of aquatic creatures).

As legendary actions I have:
casting dispel magic at will, range 20 ft.
Summoning a water elemental (max 2 at one time)
One melee attack, reach 15ft - 3d12+9 damage

As actions
Cast Maelstrom (needs concentration but no spell slot, will tend to be positioned to drag characters into deep water)
Banish (variant that banishes to plane of water, not incapacitated but attacked by water wierds)
Shock (all creatures within 20ft must make a con save or take 4d8 lightning damage and be stunned. Those that make the save take half damage. Recharge 5+)
Attack (makes up to two melee attacks, reach 15ft - 3d12+9 damage)

I have just given a ring that can cast waterbreathing at will - this should help, although it will be a little inconsistent with all the dispel magic.

Any tips anyone? I want a couple of things to help with the water, but enough threat from the water to make things interesting.

LuccMa
2017-07-06, 02:13 AM
1: What LvL is your group?

2: Did you take a look at Olhydra from the Princes of the Apocalypse? You could get some ideas from this guy, he IS the elemental Prince of Water :D

3: I would personally make the prince fill the whole cavern with water. Not being able to breathe and submerging everything sounds like sth a Prince of Elemental Water would do, dont you think? Just make sure to drop hints beforehand so your players can prepare. (Otherwise they are just dead without a fight. Great.) That is if you're not afraid to run an underwater bossfight.

MrStabby
2017-07-06, 08:20 AM
1: What LvL is your group?

2: Did you take a look at Olhydra from the Princes of the Apocalypse? You could get some ideas from this guy, he IS the elemental Prince of Water :D

3: I would personally make the prince fill the whole cavern with water. Not being able to breathe and submerging everything sounds like sth a Prince of Elemental Water would do, dont you think? Just make sure to drop hints beforehand so your players can prepare. (Otherwise they are just dead without a fight. Great.) That is if you're not afraid to run an underwater bossfight.

Yes it is Olhydra, but I haven't seen PotS - this is why I asked about it in the title.

As for fully underwater - it seemed a bit non-interactive. It didn't matter where you would stand, it was all the same. Also, if I let everyone prepare thoroughly then it's kind of like there is no water there at all.