PDA

View Full Version : Bloodstorm Blade + Stormguard Warrior

TheCryingApple
2017-07-06, 02:21 AM
Hey guys, could you tell me if this makes sense?

At level 2 of Bloodstorm Blade, you can make ranged attacks as if they were melee attacks.

The combat rhythm part of the Stormguard Warrior feat allows you to make touch attacks instead of regular melee attacks, in order to gain a bonus in the next round.

So if I'm reading this correctly, you can make "melee" touch attacks with thrown weapons from a fair distance?

Is this directly against RAW/RAI?

The main reason I could see this not working is if you require the subject of combat rhythm to be within threatened squares, but I didn't find anything to indicate that in the text.

Now if I add in a level of hulking hurler, could I make ranged touch attacks with my enemy's friend?

Manyasone
2017-07-06, 02:34 AM
Depends really, I see no beef with it, unless your DM interprets the line concerning "normal" melee attacks in the Stormguard warrior feat as unmodified by anything.

Hulking hurler on the other hand...Light load it clearly dictates and to throw someone when they don't want to be thrown indicates grapple checks...
That one really is up to the DM, but if you are willing to take the grapple feats just for that one trick, meh

Hackulator
2017-07-06, 02:39 AM
It says "normal melee attacks". Bloodstorm blade ranged attacks are not normal melee attacks. I mean really, how ya gonna turn bouncing your sword off someone to a touch attack that deals no damage?

Manyasone
2017-07-06, 02:40 AM
It says "normal melee attacks". Bloodstorm blade ranged attacks are not normal melee attacks. I mean really, how ya gonna turn bouncing your sword off someone to a touch attack that deals no damage?

Rubber hammers? With the obligatory 'squeek' the players has to RP?

Hackulator
2017-07-06, 02:42 AM
Rubber hammers? With the obligatory 'squeek' the players has to RP?

If your character was already carrying squeaky rubber hammers, I will give this to you.

TheCryingApple
2017-07-06, 02:45 AM
If your character was already carrying squeaky rubber hammers, I will give this to you.

Honestly, what kind of adventurer would I be if I didn't have at least one squeaky rubber hammer on hand at all times?

Hackulator
2017-07-06, 02:48 AM
Honestly, what kind of adventurer would I be if I didn't have at least one squeaky rubber hammer on hand at all times?

a sane one

TheCryingApple
2017-07-06, 02:57 AM
a sane one

Unfortunately at my tables "insane" and "dedicated" are synonymous.

Daefos
2017-07-06, 04:11 AM
a sane one

"Sane" and "adventurer" are mutually exclusive.

Murmaider
2017-07-06, 04:24 AM

"normal melee attacks" are not a thing. It's just melee attacks. The reason, the "normal" is there, is because if the text said; "you can choose to make melee touch attacks in place of melee attacks", it would make no sense. You can't make melee touch attacks in place of melee attacks, because melee touch attacks are meleee attacks... melee attacks.

weckar
2017-07-06, 08:26 AM
You could do this. Could even tag in Master Thrower to have some real fun.

Hackulator
2017-07-06, 10:43 AM
"normal melee attacks" are not a thing. It's just melee attacks. The reason, the "normal" is there, is because if the text said; "you can choose to make melee touch attacks in place of melee attacks", it would make no sense. You can't make melee touch attacks in place of melee attacks, because melee touch attacks are meleee attacks... melee attacks.

Normal is a thing. Melee attacks are a thing. Reading words and determining meaning is a thing. Bouncing your longsword off someone's forehead hard enough to make it fly back to you but do no damage is not a thing.

Murmaider
2017-07-06, 12:09 PM
Normal is a thing.
So what is normal?

Bouncing your longsword off someone's forehead hard enough to make it fly back to you but do no damage is not a thing.

1. Returning the weapon back to the Bloodstorm Blades' hand and treating thrown attacks as melee attacks are two different abilities. So if I'm just using thunderous throw I'm fine?

2. The weapon doesn't need to bounce off of anything, the Bloodstorm Blade just "Commands"(Tome of Battles words, not mine) it.