PDA

View Full Version : Does moving via Earth Glide provoke attacks of opportunity?

SangoProduction
2017-07-06, 05:12 AM
I took Elemental Companion (Earth) for my druid in a previous campaign. It happened commonly, Rocky was in the way (or could flank), so he Earth Glided to the other side of the monster. The DM said "Yeah, sure, it doesn't provoke AoOs because it's going underground. They can't hit it."

For some reason, I feel like that's not entirely RAW-legal. Does anyone know the actual rule for this?

Kaleph
2017-07-06, 05:46 AM
If he's in the threatened area when he starts to go underground, he probably triggers an AoO, which he gets since he's still above the ground.

Compare it with a normal scenario; I leave the threatened square by normal movement (no 5 ft. Step) vs a medium creature - the AoO is resolved BEFORE I leave the square, otherwise I would be outside the reach of my enemy...

SangoProduction
2017-07-06, 05:48 AM
If he's in the threatened area when he starts to go underground, he probably triggers an AoO, which he gets since he's still above the ground.

Compare it with a normal scenario; I leave the threatened square by normal movement (no 5 ft. Step) vs a medium creature - the AoO is resolved BEFORE I leave the square, otherwise I would be outside the reach of my enemy...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Thanks for reaffirming that.

Dagroth
2017-07-06, 05:48 AM
I took Elemental Companion (Earth) for my druid in a previous campaign. It happened commonly, Rocky was in the way (or could flank), so he Earth Glided to the other side of the monster. The DM said "Yeah, sure, it doesn't provoke AoOs because it's going underground. They can't hit it."

For some reason, I feel like that's not entirely RAW-legal. Does anyone know the actual rule for this?

If the Elemental started (above ground) in a threatened square and then went down or into a wall via Earth Glide... then yes, he would provoke an attack of opportunity because he was leaving a threatened square.

If fighting another opponent with Earth Glide, then moving underneath would provoke since the creature can reach underground with its own Earth Glide power.

Florian
2017-07-06, 05:56 AM
Problem is, Core RAW only covers two-dimensional movement, but the rules should still apply to three dimensional movement as well. So moving over or under would still provoke, itīs just a thing of timing (starting/ending square) or means.

SangoProduction
2017-07-06, 06:38 AM
Problem is, Core RAW only covers two-dimensional movement, but the rules should still apply to three dimensional movement as well. So moving over or under would still provoke, itīs just a thing of timing (starting/ending square) or means.

Oh yeah, forgot that it really doesn't talk about 3D movement (after all, it's kinda hard to keep track of that on a mat). I just assumed it worked in 3D.

KillianHawkeye
2017-07-06, 03:13 PM

The thing is, you can't take an Attack of Opportunity on a creature that has cover (including total cover). This is one of those rules that it seems like a lot of people don't know, because it's only mentioned in the section on cover rather than the section on Attacks of Opportunity.

So using earth glide to go under the ground, or being incorporeal and moving within a wall or something like that, protects you from AoOs. Other posters are correct that you still provoke if your starting position is out in the open and within an enemies' threatened area, just as with normal movement.

Florian
2017-07-06, 04:12 PM
The thing is, you can't take an Attack of Opportunity on a creature that has cover (including total cover). This is one of those rules that it seems like a lot of people don't know, because it's only mentioned in the section on cover rather than the section on Attacks of Opportunity.

I know that. Thatīs why I actually put higher value in combos like Snap Shot and Phasing Arrow than they get in most guides.