PDA

View Full Version : Fame in the Playground

TheOtherMC
2007-08-06, 04:47 PM
This was probably the first thread I saw when i signed up here and half a year later Im curious to see how it worked out.

Pretty much everyone here has had their moments I wanna see if anyone else remembers them.

Lets start with me! Am I famous yet? anyone? no? no?

Lucky
2007-08-06, 04:47 PM
Who the heck are you? :smallconfused:

TheOtherMC
2007-08-06, 04:50 PM

Well thats one answer....

I KNOW YOU THOUGH LUCKY! Ive always considered you one of those "Cool kids" here.

Amotis
2007-08-06, 04:51 PM
I don't know you and I don't like these threads.

MURK LOAR!

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-06, 04:51 PM
I know your name, but I can't put any famous events to your name.

Ichneumon
2007-08-06, 04:53 PM
Sorry, I have no idea who you are...

TheOtherMC
Yeah i was just kinda reaching with this, the other one got to like 50 pages...feel free to ignore this failed experiement of life!

Lucky
I KNOW YOU THOUGH LUCKY! Ive always considered you one of those "Cool kids" here.
Well at least this way you got off to a good start in my mind.

Lord Herman
2007-08-06, 04:59 PM
I don't think there's anyone on these boards I would consider 'famous', except maybe for the Giant. There are quite a few people here who I admire for various reasons, but most of them are also my friends.

Totally Guy
2007-08-06, 05:05 PM
Since the UK meetup I've been paying extra attention to those people I've met in person. I think that group all became a bit more famous for each other. I'll no longer get them muddled up.

I mean when we are here we don't need to think about whose avatar matches which username as it's always right there on the left. At the meet up it was very hard as we didn't have that resource. Mistaken Identity week will be hell.:smallbiggrin:

Thes Hunter
2007-08-06, 05:08 PM
I don't think there's anyone on these boards I would consider 'famous', except maybe for the Giant. There are quite a few people here who I admire for various reasons, but most of them are also my friends.

Here! Here!

Or was that always Hear! Hear!

I always get that saying confused. :smalltongue:

I mean when we are here we don't need to think about whose avatar matches which username as it's always right there on the left.

I am a very visual person, and I always identify people by their avatar. It takes me a loooooooong time to remember the persons name. So if people change avatars alot, I get all confused.

TheOtherMC
2007-08-06, 05:09 PM
Ok good example: Two people I can see and say "Hey ITs them Cool!" Would be Mr.Saturn and Jibar (As well as her amazing hats)

Yeah i can see this isnt working so ill just use my OP powers to convert thine thread into a general BS thread!

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-06, 05:10 PM

I think Sneak is famous. Sneak was a legend.

Mr. Moon
2007-08-06, 05:10 PM

Well obviously... He's me. :smallconfused:

Sean92k
2007-08-06, 05:21 PM
There has been a lot of 'Do you know me' threads hasn't there. Suffice to say, I dont know you:smallfrown:

Lucky
2007-08-06, 05:23 PM
Way too many. I think the general rule is: if you have to ask, no one knows you.

Sean92k
2007-08-06, 05:24 PM
Way too many. I think the general rule is: if you have to ask, no one knows you.True, So who knows me? (joke)

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-06, 05:25 PM
Nobody knows me, I'm just a nobody.

Sean92k
2007-08-06, 05:26 PM
I know you ... your plane cloud. Everyone be nice to plane cloud

Thes Hunter
2007-08-06, 05:27 PM
Nobody knows me, I'm just a nobody.

I believe you to be one of the best known and infamous lurkers in all of the playground. :smallwink:

TheOtherMC
2007-08-06, 05:31 PM
I believe you to be one of the best known and infamous lurkers in all of the playground. :smallwink:

I wholeheartedly second that, I honestly find it hard to read a thread without you there....not doing anything productive mind you...just being...there....

Vespe Ratavo
2007-08-06, 05:34 PM
I'm famous for not being famous. So when people look at me they scream and shriek "OMG it's that guy I don't know!" So yeah. :smallcool:

evisiron
2007-08-06, 05:41 PM
The Tau sig looks familiar, but someone else may have the same one.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-06, 05:44 PM
Blackout also has one, if my memory serves. Or, at least, he did have one at some point.

I disagree with you guys. I lurk too much to be known, even amongst lurkers. :smallamused:

Azrael
2007-08-06, 06:02 PM
Way too many. I think the general rule is: if you have to ask, no one knows you.

Just in case Lucky was too nice about it:

YOU! YES, ALL OF YOU. NOBODY KNOWS WHO YOU ARE.

Get over it already.

Now, for those of you who absolutely know that you've been here long enough and have done enough that you've at least pierced the forum's general consciousness, you are not the 'you' I referenced above

Logic
2007-08-06, 08:22 PM

YOU! YES, ALL OF YOU. NOBODY KNOWS WHO YOU ARE.*

Get over it already.

Now, for those of you who absolutely know that you've been here long enough and have done enough that you've at least pierced the forum's general consciousness, you are not the 'you' I referenced above
This explains why people like D'anna Biers can thrive here then.
*Emphasis mine

Cyrano
2007-08-06, 08:27 PM
*Emphasis mine

Now, see, that's just mean.

And also disproves the point. YOU know who I am, and I'm relatively sure I haven't even spoken to you yet.

Logic
2007-08-06, 08:57 PM

*Emphasis mine

Now, see, that's just mean.

And also disproves the point. YOU know who I am, and I'm relatively sure I haven't even spoken to you yet.

Look at my name, look at the subject, and then the quote of Azrael. There is a joke in there, I swear it!

FdL
2007-08-06, 09:51 PM
Nah, Saithis, I know you, I had seen you before reading you, and I don't know anyone usually. Sure, the "people landscape" changes all the time, but well...

So, this is one of those ego-boosting threads? I'd really need one myself, but I don't try these things because I'm positive that not many people knows me. Well, asides from the RB gang and some more in Friendly and Media...So instead of boosting my ego, it would actually bury me deeper into depression :p But I love you all. Even those I don't know. :smallsmile:

Cyrano
2007-08-06, 09:52 PM
Look at my name, look at the subject, and then the quote of Azrael. There is a joke in there, I swear it!

Now, see, I've specifically said, at least thrice, that I am an idiot. Spell it out.

Vaynor
2007-08-06, 10:00 PM
Now, see, I've specifically said, at least thrice, that I am an idiot. Spell it out.

I-D-I-O-T.

Cyrano
2007-08-06, 10:03 PM
Clever, clever, aren't we.

Vaynor
2007-08-06, 10:05 PM
Clever, clever, aren't we.

No it's just me.

Missing Shoe
2007-08-07, 08:03 AM

Get over it already.

Well played. Here's a cookie.

Besides, you (as in the you Azrael was referring to) should be happy. Lurking is so much easier than fame. If you lurk and say something stupid, most people will just forget about it in a matter of seconds. So sit back and enjoy the easy life! :smallsmile: *reclines*

ufo
2007-08-07, 08:14 AM
Lurking is so much easier than fame. If you lurk and say something stupid, most people will just forget about it in a matter of seconds. So sit back and enjoy the easy life! :smallsmile: *reclines*

That explains that I'm still alive after my attitude in a certain thread.

Jibar
2007-08-07, 08:38 AM
Jibar (As well as her amazing hats)

Awwww, now that has just cheered me up no end.

PlatinumJester
2007-08-07, 08:49 AM
Who needs hats when you can have ginger hair?

Jibar
2007-08-07, 08:59 AM
Who needs hats when you can have ginger hair?

Say hello, to my little friend. (http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/Jibar/Picture15.jpg)

That means: I win. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2007-08-07, 09:12 AM
Oh Jibar, you always win. Fact of life. Everyone knows that :smallbiggrin: Also: hawt pic :smallwink:

I think last time this came up, I was feeling slightly left out... A plethora of posts later, and I'm worried about being infamous for being That Lady What Posts A Lot. I've already received a pm to that effect :smallconfused:

Thes Hunter
2007-08-07, 09:17 AM
Oh Jibar, you always win. Fact of life. Everyone knows that :smallbiggrin: Also: hawt pic :smallwink:

I think last time this came up, I was feeling slightly left out... A plethora of posts later, and I'm worried about being infamous for being That Lady What Posts A Lot. I've already received a pm to that effect :smallconfused:

YOU have never been on my "Wow that person posts alot list"

But being known for posting alot is better than being known because you are related to someone else. Least that is your own accomplishments. :smallwink:

Archonic Energy
2007-08-07, 09:25 AM
YOU have never been on my "Wow that person posts alot list"

But being known for posting alot is better than being known because you are related to someone else. Least that is your own accomplishments. :smallwink:

(Emphasis mine)

it could be worse you could be famous for being Charity's Alt... :smallwink:
*Prepares for swift kicking*

personally i prefer anomaninity(sp) i'd hate to have a fanclub or be forced to be the centre of attention.

TheOtherMC
2007-08-07, 09:35 AM
Awwww, now that has just cheered me up no end.

I try....:smalltongue:

Wow kids...I left this thread for dead a day ago.....GO TEAM!

Serpentine
2007-08-07, 10:22 AM
Hrm. I wonder what people think when they see I've posted something... "Oo, she's posted! Must read!", "Oh noes, she's posted, now to skim through that drivel..." or "huh, new post"?

Castaras
2007-08-07, 10:25 AM
Hrm. I wonder what people think when they see I've posted something... "Oo, she's posted! Must read!", "Oh noes, she's posted, now to skim through that drivel..." or "huh, new post"?

For me at least, for you it'd be a combination of "Oo, she's posted!" and "Oo, new post". :smallsmile:

Jibar
2007-08-07, 10:54 AM

A look into the Cat-Muffin mind:

Food hate hate food food food hungry Serpentine posted hooray food hungry Matrix priest aethiest battle food hate looooooooooooove food.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-07, 10:57 AM

I don't really think anything in particular when you post. But that applies to when everyone posts.

ufo
2007-08-07, 11:27 AM

Everytime I see a post by you I ignore it. Not because it's by you, but I turn to wonder if the missing 's' in monstrous is on purpose...

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-08-07, 11:38 AM
I am a very visual person, and I always identify people by their avatar. It takes me a loooooooong time to remember the persons name. So if people change avatars alot, I get all confused.

Hehe, sorry about that, Thes.

Fame on a forum is a fickle beast. If you post constantly, it will follow you like a puppy dog and will possibly fetch your slippers for you, but leave for a few months and fame will search for a new master. If you return and ask it to fetch your slippers, its likely to turn on you and bite your toes when no one remembers you. Other times fame returns to your side just like you never left.

Now real life fame is something different. I enjoy real life fame. You all may remember a few months ago when I admitted in the comics thread that I was Keith Ledger, famed actor from A Knight's Tale and soon to be Joker in the new Batman Begins movie.

Lord Herman
2007-08-07, 12:23 PM
Now real life fame is something different. I enjoy real life fame. You all may remember a few months ago when I admitted in the comics thread that I was Keith Ledger, famed actor from A Knight's Tale and soon to be Joker in the new Batman Begins movie.

Then how come you don't look like a llama in those movies? :smallconfused:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-08-07, 12:37 PM
Then how come you don't look like a llama in those movies? :smallconfused:

Lots of stage make-up. LOTS of stage makeup. More spent on make-up than on the authentic knight outfits and peasant garb.

TheOtherMC
2007-08-07, 01:06 PM
Lots of stage make-up. LOTS of stage makeup. More spent on make-up than on the authentic knight outfits and peasant garb.

And the authentic Hard Rock soundtrack?

KoDT69
2007-08-07, 01:10 PM
You all may remember a few months ago when I admitted in the comics thread that I was Keith Ledger, famed actor from A Knight's Tale and soon to be Joker in the new Batman Begins movie.

Umm, dude... if you're going to claim an identity, especially a famous one... at least try to spell it correctly :smallbiggrin: It's Heath Ledger, not Keith.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005132/

rollfrenzy
2007-08-07, 01:13 PM
Maybe He means Keith Ledger, Heath's younger lesser known brother. It would explain why the pictures on the You part V thread don't look much like Heath. :smallbiggrin:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-08-07, 01:16 PM
Umm, dude... if you're going to claim an identity, especially a famous one... at least try to spell it correctly :smallbiggrin: It's Heath Ledger, not Keith.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005132/

Darn!! Rolled a 1 on a disguise check. Maybe next time.
P.S. Check the title of your post :)
In actually, fame would not be pleasant especially as "The Masked LLama." Atreyu is special; a way to escape from real life. If my RL and online persona mixed, I'd have no escape.

TheOtherMC
2007-08-07, 01:19 PM
Darn!! Rolled a 1 on a disguise check. Maybe next time.
P.S. Check the title of your post :)
In actually, fame would not be pleasant especially as "The Masked LLama." Atreyu is special; a way to escape from real life. If my RL and online persona mixed, I'd have no escape.

*Clears throat*

OMGZNESS ITS ATREYU THE MASKED LAMA!!!

bosssmiley
2007-08-07, 01:52 PM
A look into the Cat-Muffin mind:

Food hate hate food food food hungry Serpentine posted hooray food hungry Matrix priest aethiest battle food hate looooooooooooove food.

*looks around*

S'okay in here. Needs more swashbuckling and explosions though. :smallwink:

OP: who the yartles are ya, and why should I know you?

Are you quoted in sigs?
Are you thanked for avvies?
Do people make running jokes or say "X will disagree but..." about you?
Do you post scads of rocking monsters like what VT does?
Have you posted a much-referenced build/play-style guide like ... *checks for Mods* ...you know who? :smallamused:
Do you run weird and innovative PbP games?
Do you have a presence in The Town?
Are you Rich Burlew?

Can you answer yes to any of the above? If not, then why would I know who you are in the context of the Playground? There are thousands of us here!

(and, for the record, I don't fit any of the above catagories either. Obscurity rocks. :smallwink: )

Serpentine
2007-08-07, 09:30 PM
Everytime I see a post by you I ignore it. Not because it's by you, but I turn to wonder if the missing 's' in monstrous is on purpose...
What missing "s"?

edit: Never mind, found it. Dammit.

Mr. Moon
2007-08-07, 09:39 PM
Umm, dude... if you're going to claim an identity, especially a famous one... at least try to spell it correctly It's Heath Ledger, not Keith.Aw darnit. Here I was hoping Atreyu was a real-life Yaoi star...

>.>
<.<

Can I pretend he is? :smallamused:

Logic
2007-08-07, 09:42 PM
Are you quoted in sigs?

Can you answer yes to any of the above? If not, then why would I know who you are in the context of the Playground? There are thousands of us here!

(and, for the record, I don't fit any of the above catagories either. Obscurity rocks. :smallwink: )

B.S. BS, open my signature spoiler to be proven wrong!

Cyrano
2007-08-07, 09:45 PM
Aw darnit. Here I was hoping Atreyu was a real-life Yaoi star...

>.>
<.<

Can I pretend he is? :smallamused:

A, you are amazingly disturbing, and B, when have we EVER stopped you imagining us in creepy roles? We wish you wouldn't, but we're too polite to ask you to stop.

Mr. Moon
2007-08-07, 09:47 PM
That's what I'm here for. ~_^

Cyrano
2007-08-07, 09:50 PM
I so don't want to meet the guy who hired you for that.

zeratul
2007-08-07, 09:50 PM
I'm vaguely curious as to how well known different people are. But why does it matter, we're all friends here, no need for celebs, we are equals.

Roland St. Jude
2007-08-07, 10:12 PM
I'm vaguely curious as to how well known different people are. But why does it matter, we're all friends here, no need for celebs, we are equals.

No celebs? You make Elton (St.) John sad.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/RolandStJ/EltonJude.gif

Cyrano
2007-08-07, 10:13 PM

Your naivete is refreshing.

Rawhide, Elton John is incapable of sadness, he doesn't have a heart.

Roland St. Jude
2007-08-07, 10:14 PM

Who are you calling Rawhide? :smalltongue:

Cyrano
2007-08-07, 10:17 PM
Crap! What the hell is wrong with me! There's no possible way I could mistake Elton John for a cowboy-esque ch- wait, that makes perfect sense.
I regret nothing.

Mr. Moon
2007-08-07, 10:21 PM
... o.o

Okay, Roland? No. Just... No. :smalleek:

de-trick
2007-08-07, 10:22 PM
I wonder if anyone knows me De-trick and my tiger-headed paladin

Logic
... o.o

If Moon_Called is disturbed by it, then it must be REALLY bad. I am glad I can't see this freak-of-nature avatar.

Cyrano
... o.o

Elton is a very shmexy character... I like him...so dashing....and...so occasionaly-in-a-duck-outfit... you can't help but love him.

Keep him, Roland. Keep him indeed.

zeratul
2007-08-07, 10:25 PM

Sure it may be untrue, but it keeps the noobies from fame grubbing.

Lucky
2007-08-07, 10:28 PM

Get over it already.
. .

Mr. Moon
2007-08-07, 10:28 PM

No, but keep it. It's sexy. ^_^

Elton is a very shmexy character... I like him...so dashing....and...so occasionaly-in-a-duck-outfit... you can't help but love him.

Keep him, Roland. Keep him indeed.

So... compleatly annoying and gender confused. Kuja pulled it off. Kuja has magic powers, if very sexy, and is a FF baddie. Elton is none of these.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-07, 10:31 PM
Don't ever believe anything Llama says about fame, he claims that I'm actually Eliza Dushku.

Also, bosssmiley, I don't think I qualify for any of your qualifications. :P

Cyrano
2007-08-07, 10:32 PM
No, but keep it. It's sexy. ^_^

So... compleatly annoying and gender confused. Kuja pulled it off. Kuja has magic powers, if very sexy, and is a FF baddie. Elton is none of these.

Gender confused? He's gay. He's not a girl trapped in a man's body, he's just gay. That's not gender confused. It may be slightly feminine, but hey, your slightly feminine and you ain't confused.

And no. No no no. FF people are not REALLY people. They cannot pull anything "off". They don't even exist. Live with it.

Saithis: You know, claiming to have spoken with Faith would be cool in and of itself, so hell! You ARE Eliza Dushku.

Mr. Moon
2007-08-07, 10:35 PM
And no. No no no. FF people are not REALLY people. They cannot pull anything "off". They don't even exist. Live with it.

That's what fanfiction is for. ~_^

Anyway, why do you insist on shattering my illusions? Why not leave me to just wallow in my denial?

Cyrano
2007-08-07, 10:38 PM

Anyway, why do you insist on shattering my illusions? Why not leave me to just wallow in my denial?

Because friends don't let friends drink and fanfic.
Luckily, we're not actually "friends" considering you hate me, so really, I don't let you ANYTHING and fanfic. I'm like a superfriend.

Mr. Moon
2007-08-07, 10:42 PM
It may be slightly feminine, but hey, your slightly feminine and you ain't confused.

I'm also female.

Yes, I'm slow. Shush. I haven't had anything to eat today. Perhaps I'll go remedy that soon.

Because friends don't let friends drink and fanfic.
Luckily, we're not actually "friends" considering you hate me, so really, I don't let you ANYTHING and fanfic. I'm like a superfriend.

Gee... thanks.

de-trick
2007-08-07, 11:02 PM
Thanks, I know Im dead sexy and same with my pally

me and my 18 charisma

Lord Herman
2007-08-08, 02:34 AM
I'm like a superfriend.

You mean... you're one of these guys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfriends)? :smalleek:

zeratul
2007-08-08, 02:37 AM

No, fanfic is for making tifa, and Aeris make out. Wait, I mean umm.... uh.... This is not the weirdo you're looking for

bosssmiley
2007-08-08, 02:43 AM
B.S. BS, open my signature spoiler to be proven wrong!

Gah! Logic (capitalised or not, as you prefer); the swashbuckler's Kryptonite.
"Moustache looking ... ridicuous ... Ability to manifest cartwheel chandeliers fading ... Kirktalk overwhelming meeeeee ... "

Don't ever believe anything Llama says about fame, he claims that I'm actually Eliza Dushku.

You mean you're not? :smallwink:

Also, bosssmiley, I don't think I qualify for any of your qualifications. :P

And that is only a small part why I like you: like all the best-kept secrets, you combine personality and quality with obscurity. Saithis, she's all about exclusivity (also explosions). :smallcool:

skywalker
2007-08-08, 02:58 AM
I know you de-trick!

Is there a mathematical formula for deciding how long it takes someone to mention TLN on one of these threads?

Roland, Roland st. Jude, I LOOVE YOUR WORK!!!

TheOtherMC
2007-08-08, 09:40 AM
You mean... you're one of these guys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfriends)? :smalleek:

D'anna Biers is wonderdog?

....now thats a headline...

Tom_Violence
2007-08-08, 10:31 AM
Grade me grade me grade meeeee!!!

Lucky
2007-08-08, 10:35 AM
http://bigrockidaho.com/images/graderGPSclose.jpg
. .

TheOtherMC
2007-08-08, 10:42 AM
http://bigrockidaho.com/images/graderGPSclose.jpg
. .

......wow *Slow respectful clapping*

Gaelbert
2007-08-09, 09:58 PM
Aww, come on, that deserves at least a standing ovation.

I remember the names and avvies of a lot of people, sometimes I can remember a thread they have participated in. I know de-trick was in a Recruitment thread, but then said he had to drop out. I remember Lucky from the debate in the Sports Fan thread, I recognize and think about the Mating Season thread when I see Jibar, and so on and so forth. Don't ask me how I remember this and yet somehow forget everything else. My mind works in mysterious ways. And no, I'm not a stalker.
And TheOtherMC, I recognize you because you dropped a link to UrbanDead, which I followed and promptly got addicted to. Is that what you were asking for?

ArlEammon
2007-08-10, 11:45 AM
I made Ever Dream, although I don't know if anyone remembers it. I have made some famous threads. But most of them die or no one joins.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-10, 01:04 PM
I made Ever Dream, although I don't know if anyone remembers it. I have made some famous threads. But most of them die or no one joins.

Fame is relative, based on where you post most often. Someone might be famous in Silly Message Board games, but if they joined Friendly Banter might be relatively unknown. Caw never pokes his head in here, but he is very visible in SMBG.

Then there seems to be there own separate cults that occupy the Erfworld and OotS dedicated threads. So being well known is very related to where you post, how often you post, and the quality of your posts. Large Quantity without quality will get you a reputation that you would rather not have. :smallwink:

Zephra
2007-08-12, 05:02 PM
the last thread like this, maybe cropped up in january, was a lot of fun for me, who was still a nobody. Want to be famous? easy. Get yourself an identity, trademark,something that makes people immediatly think of you. I'm the Ghost girl. Course, I might not be famous, so don't mind me. I'll just sit in a corner and make a fool out of myself...

:smalltongue:

Vonriel
2007-08-12, 05:05 PM
Naww, everyone knows who you are. You're that person who was supposed to have left the playground :smalltongue:

Zephra
2007-08-12, 05:09 PM
I believe in my sad farewell thread, I said that, untill september, I'd be able to stop in every three or so days, didn't I? You didn't read my farerwell thread? I'm crushed! *cries* :smalltongue:

even in september, I might be able to make it once a week. I shall certainly try.

This mistaken identity week is gonna really throw the newbies, BTW

Reinboom
2007-08-12, 05:31 PM
I believe I hold only -known- at all inside of chatrooms.
However, I have been mentioned in sigs. So I do hold a grade of fame.
And you all can't take it away you fame taking fame takers of fame degrade and regradery in fame taking takingness towards famery.

Nomrom
2007-08-12, 05:34 PM
And you all can't take it away you fame taking fame takers of fame degrade and regradery in fame taking takingness towards famery.

You'll be famous to me just because you said that.

Cyrano
2007-08-13, 11:28 AM
Unfortunately for YOU, SweetRein, your going to be far more famous by the end of my shenanigans!
Ha! Perfect deniability! *Runs off doing evil stuff*