PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Can anyone think of a way to make Vital Aim (Targeteer) apply to Crossbow Damage?

Jowgen
2017-07-06, 08:22 PM
Question as in the title.

The Targeteer Fighter varient from Dragon 310 can get the following ability.

Vital Aim: The Targetteer may add his Dexterity modifier to his damage rolls with a ranged-weapon
attack instead of his Strength bonus. The Targetteer cannot replace a Strength penalty to damage rolls
with his Dexterity modifier unless his Dexterity modifier is also a penalty. The Targetteer cannot use
his Dexterity modifier to replace his Strength modifier when attacking creatures immune to critical
hits.

Crossbows don't get Str to damage. Like, ever; as far as I can tell. So, Vital Aim can't get applied.

As a long shot I thought I'd ask if anyone can think of anything to get it to apply.

Zaq
2017-07-06, 08:36 PM
I don't have a useful answer, but I love the ridiculous specificity of being able to replace a STR penalty with a DEX penalty (but not a DEX bonus). Because, you know, that could happen.

Okay, let's try to answer the question. Check the good old X Stat to Y Bonus resource, maybe? I'm on mobile, so it's nontrivial for me to access it right now. Off the top of my head, isn't there some kind of nonsense that you could pull with a Void Disciple? Super limited, but it might be a start. Since I obviously don't have the book in front of me, there's a very good chance that this wouldn't work at all, but I'm spitballing.

VisitingDaGulag
2017-07-06, 08:46 PM
You're in the wrong site for that question. Go ask CatpnQ at minmax. He knows all weaponz

Jowgen
2017-07-06, 11:36 PM
Okay, let's try to answer the question. Check the good old X Stat to Y Bonus resource, maybe? I'm on mobile, so it's nontrivial for me to access it right now. Off the top of my head, isn't there some kind of nonsense that you could pull with a Void Disciple? Super limited, but it might be a start. Since I obviously don't have the book in front of me, there's a very good chance that this wouldn't work at all, but I'm spitballing.

X to Y was the first place I checked. Nothing there.

Void release COULD get strength to damage, provided you already get something other stat to damage, which you could then in turn replace with Dex via Vital Aim... but that would be hillariously impractical on so many levels. For one, you don't even need Vital Aim in this; as you can just straight-up sub dex for whatever else you're getting.

You're in the wrong site for that question. Go ask CatpnQ at minmax. He knows all weaponz

I for one have great faith in the munchkins of the playground. But yeah, double posted over in case.

ATHATH
2017-07-06, 11:47 PM
May I ask what this is for?

Jowgen
2017-07-06, 11:52 PM
May I ask what this is for?

Wondering whether it's possible to go higher than +3.5xDex to damage (i.e. more than Hit'n'Run ACF + Dead Eye + Fierce WSA + Crossbow Sniper).

AOKost
2017-07-07, 01:33 AM
Unless you're quoting it right, then there should be no problem. As I read it, that's meant to be an over reaching or blanketing statement meant to encompass thrown weapons, and any ranged weapon you can use, including those that have a strength bonus like Mighty bows.

I'd love to see your build and damage output when you're done!