PDA

View Full Version : Necrotic Cyst and Holding the Charge

AnimeTheCat
2017-07-06, 08:42 PM
First, does the spell Necrotic Cyst qualify for holding the charge? I think it would as it takes a standard action to cast and that wouldn't allow for a touch attack to be performed in the same round.

Second, could a wizard or other spellcaster hide in a bar or outside, cast the spell, hold the charge, then place his hand on the target and release the spell?

Crake
2017-07-06, 08:53 PM
First, does the spell Necrotic Cyst qualify for holding the charge? I think it would as it takes a standard action to cast and that wouldn't allow for a touch attack to be performed in the same round.

This is correct, though touch spells can be delivered in the same round that they are cast, you can even cast the spell, move and then deliver the touch attack, so you don't need to hold the charge if you don't wish to.

Touch Spells in Combat

Many spells have a range of touch. To use these spells, you cast the spell and then touch the subject, either in the same round or any time later. In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) the target. You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target.

The above quote, from the D20srd, is actually in the combat section, under "actions in combat - Cast a spell", not in the magic section where you'd expect it to be.

Second, could a wizard or other spellcaster hide in a bar or outside, cast the spell, hold the charge, then place his hand on the target and release the spell?

Yes, normally you could, though keep in mind that your DM may rule that the magical charge has some kind of visual effect (not technically RAW, but i've seen many DMs rule this, just something to keep in mind) so whether that would work or not depends on your table.