PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Goblin

Kerrigor
2017-07-06, 10:21 PM
So, I like to play with image. And I've wanted to do a character that at first glance, would seem evil or at least not good. So I made Mezzik Blacktooth of the Web Walker tribe, a tribe descended from escaped slaves of drow who spend their time raising and living with giant spiders. This tribe has been in existence for decades and was assisted by druids for a part of that. Now they're independent. They're not evil, just goblins.
So young Mezzik, for whatever reason, felt the call of adventuring and took his spider Gogara to the nearby town of Fayn to register for the Adventurer's Guild.
However, I have 1 problem. I have no idea what class to make him.
He is Chaotic good, with an emphasis on Chaotic.
Any build suggestions will be appreciated.

Vizzerdrix
2017-07-06, 10:32 PM
Druid, with a watchspider companion as a mount.

Remuko
2017-07-06, 10:44 PM
Druid, with a watchspider companion as a mount.

cant be chaotic good and a druid. druids have to be part neutral. also his post explains he already has a specific spider as a mount.

The Viscount
2017-07-07, 05:04 PM
A paladin might be the thing if you want to emphasize that you're going against the idea of an evil goblin. Paladin of Freedom is chaotic Good, and there's a list of alternate mounts in the DMG that includes monstrous spiders.

What type of role do you envision this character filling? Front-line melee? Ranged damage? Face? Caster?

Thurbane
2017-07-07, 05:26 PM
Most of the PrCs that give a spider companion either require Evil alignment and/or are Drow only.

From a previous thread, did you mention that the DM would homebrew a Spider as an option for Wild Cohort? If so, you might want to look at Silverwood Arcanist (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031209a).

If you can get Web as a spell or SLA, Yathchol Webrider (Underdark) seems like a good fit thematically, and is one of the few Spider based PrCs I can find that doesn't require you to be Evil. Three levels of Dragon Shaman (Copper, who are generally CG; PHB2) can give you Spider Climb as an SLA.

Holy Liberator (CD) seems like another good fit. Again, see if the DM might let you swap in some kind of Spider for Celestial Companion. Maybe he'd let the class feature add the Celestial template to your existing Spider?

Feat Rogue (UA) 2/Dragon Shaman (Copper) 3/Yathchol Webrider 9/Holy Liberator 6 or something similar seems like it might fit the theme you are looking for.

hamishspence
2017-07-08, 02:46 AM
cant be chaotic good and a druid. druids have to be part neutral. also his post explains he already has a specific spider as a mount.

Given that the emphasis is on Chaotic, then Chaotic Neutral (with good tendencies) might work well for druid.

DMs are less likely IMO to penalise Good behaviour on a Neutral character, than Evil behaviour on a Neutral character.

Inevitability
2017-07-08, 04:03 AM
Urban Druid? You can get a medium monstrous spider at level 1 if you take Natural Bond, unless your DM starts arguing that 'Urban Companion' does not fulfill the 'Animal Companion' requirement.

The problem is that you can't be CN that way... Would NG still work for you?

noce
2017-07-08, 06:08 AM
Vermin Companion variant (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040705a) could be what you're looking for.

Also, Vermin Keeper PrC (Underdark, p. 44) doesn't have an alignment requirement. It seems a solid and very flavourful PrC.

Psyren
2017-07-08, 11:50 AM
3.5 or Pathfinder?

Either way I'd probably go with Ranger.