View Full Version : Pathfinder Bard 1/Oracle 10 question

Mnemius
2017-07-07, 05:37 AM
Okay, been dm'ing a game for a while. I've had some players come and go. One player joined at beginning, had to go away, and then came back. (Yay navy town.) He's gone again.

He is big on optimization and started helping some of my newer players.
One had her character die (tried to go one on one with a barbarian ogre as an inquistor in full plate with no defensive buffs up.)
So he helped her roll a new character. She's now Bard 1/Oracle 10. I know the Oracle is a dual-cursed oracle of life.

I was told the bard level was for skills and to meet an arcane caster requirement on a feat for a familiar. There's some other stuff to let her take an improved familiar so she can use it to deliver touch heals. For improved familiar, she took a Harbinger Archon.

I know one of her curses is tongues. The archon has truespeech. (nice side step of curse there.)

I don't have her sheet in front of me, but she seems to believe the familiar has greater teleport. I can't find that in it's monster entry page. Is there some feat/ability to give it that teleport?

I was sticking to only pathfinder content, no 3rd party or 3.5 stuff. Trying to figure this out. Any ideas on how to make this work?

Elkad
2017-07-07, 06:27 AM
It does not get teleport.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/archon/ says

An archon possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
...snipped a bunch...
Teleport (Sp) Archons can use greater teleport at will, as the spell (caster level 14th), except that the creature can transport only itself and up to 50 pounds of carried objects.
Truespeech (Su) All archons can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell (caster level 14th). This ability is always active.

But the creature entry (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/archon/archon-harbinger/) says

Minor Archon (Ex)

Harbinger archons lack the aura of menace and teleport abilities of more powerful archons.

Psyren
2017-07-07, 10:22 AM
She also can't take Improved Familiar, you specifically need a minimum arcane caster level of 7 for an archon. Bard 1/Oracle 10 won't get her there.

Hackulator
2017-07-07, 10:25 AM
She also can't take Improved Familiar, you specifically need a minimum arcane caster level of 7 for an archon. Bard 1/Oracle 10 won't get her there.

He implied there was some other chicanery to get to that.

exelsisxax
2017-07-07, 10:28 AM
Okay, been dm'ing a game for a while. I've had some players come and go. One player joined at beginning, had to go away, and then came back. (Yay navy town.) He's gone again.

He is big on optimization and started helping some of my newer players.
One had her character die (tried to go one on one with a barbarian ogre as an inquistor in full plate with no defensive buffs up.)
So he helped her roll a new character. She's now Bard 1/Oracle 10. I know the Oracle is a dual-cursed oracle of life.

I was told the bard level was for skills and to meet an arcane caster requirement on a feat for a familiar. There's some other stuff to let her take an improved familiar so she can use it to deliver touch heals. For improved familiar, she took a Harbinger Archon.

I know one of her curses is tongues. The archon has truespeech. (nice side step of curse there.)

I don't have her sheet in front of me, but she seems to believe the familiar has greater teleport. I can't find that in it's monster entry page. Is there some feat/ability to give it that teleport?

I was sticking to only pathfinder content, no 3rd party or 3.5 stuff. Trying to figure this out. Any ideas on how to make this work?
Get the complete character sheet, for starters.

Psyren
2017-07-07, 11:07 AM

I have no doubt the player thinks so, but "it works, trust me" is not particularly compelling.

Elkad
2017-07-07, 11:35 AM

No chicanery needed, just 2 feat slots.
Familiar Bond and Improved Familiar Bond cover it specifically. (plus Improved Familiar to get the Archon instead of a fluffy bunny) All your levels are treated as Wizard levels.

Psyren
2017-07-07, 11:45 AM
No chicanery needed, just 2 feat slots.
Familiar Bond and Improved Familiar Bond cover it specifically. (plus Improved Familiar to get the Archon instead of a fluffy bunny) All your levels are treated as Wizard levels.

1) That's three feats actually (you're forgetting the Iron Will prereq.)

2) If that is the method, then the Bard dip is superfluous - you can take Familiar Bond as an Oracle.

3) Technically this doesn't work. IFB only treats your hit dice as a wizard level for the purpose of familiar abilities; it still does not give you an arcane spellcaster level, which is what IF needs. So you can use this method to get a regular familiar, but not an improved one without fiat.

Hackulator
2017-07-07, 11:51 AM
1) That's three feats actually (you're forgetting the Iron Will prereq.)

2) If that is the method, then the Bard dip is superfluous - you can take Familiar Bond as an Oracle.

3) Technically this doesn't work. IFB only treats your hit dice as a wizard level for the purpose of familiar abilities; it still does not give you an arcane spellcaster level, which is what IF needs. So you can use this method to get a regular familiar, but not an improved one without fiat.

I think of all the people on this board, I agree with Psyren most often.