PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Hearth Domain, v.2 (PEACH)

zeek0
2017-07-07, 07:56 AM
Many moons ago, I enlisted help from the Playground to help me make a Hearth domain. Now I've re-formatted it and tweaked it a bit. Help me feel like it's finished!

I feel comfortable with all the features, except for Divine Shield. I made it a bonus action because a) I didn't think that it warranted a whole action, and b) I wanted it to remain relevant at later levels. Let me know what you think!

Link (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxfCiPA2FPFAZ2NsaFhFS0k4OVE)

nickl_2000
2017-07-07, 09:01 AM
Ephemeral Ward
I'm not sure if this is intended or not (I think it may be), but this could certainly be used in the situation where a PC is in the middle o an AoE spell. Say I drop a firestorm in an area where my Paladin is surrounded by a bunch of enemies. I can give him resistance to Fire damage due to your phrasing. This would certainly be abusable in multiclassing (say a wizard with Fireballs).

Channel Divinity - Hearthflame
The ability to re-roll a saving throw feels kind of confusing to me. You have a 60 feet of light, when you use it the light reduces by 20 feet. So, potentially you can use it 3 times per casting? Why not just make it usable 2 times per use of Channel Divinity to make it simpler. Also, I feel like invoking ability this should be a danger to you. Something like, "When they fail you may instead take the effect of the spell on yourself making the same with Wisdom." That way you really have to think about whether it is worth it on not.

Potent Spellcasting - (I get that this is stolen directly from other PHB domains, but I still like there to be flavor)
I see no problem with this ability, but thematically I'm struggling. How does this fit into the idea that you are providing the protection of the home? It could use some flavor text.

Hearthfire - Warded
Is the temp HP based on the level + wisdom of the Hearth Domain Cleric or the PC that gets Warded? Also does the reflecting fire damage last until the temp HP are gone or for the full 24 hours? If it's until the temp HP are gone, it seems weak. if it's for the full 24 hours, it seems to way strong to me.

I really like the feel of this homebrew. The idea of the reluctant cleric having to leave their home and their flock, but still bringing the feeling of home and it's safety with it.

zeek0
2017-07-07, 11:53 PM
Thanks for your reply!

Ephemeral Ward is like that intentionally. It gives a bit of flexibility, like a poor man's sculpt spell. I feel okay about it, because half damage from a fireball spell is still no joke.

I reworded Hearthflame to be easier on the eyes. I'll keep it without the risk.

I understand your note about Potent Spellcasting. For me, a cleric is the chosen weapon of their god; this sets them apart from a priest. I put a bit in the initial description about conflict to set that tone from the beginning.

Thanks for your note about Hearthflame, and Ward. How would you feel if I changed the feature to grant 'half your level + your wisdom modifier' every short rest? That means you get ~12 temp hp and 12 fire damage each short rest. Maybe 24-48 over each adventuring day. (Should I keep the quantity at level +Wis?)

I'm glad you like the flavor! I think that it's my favorite work because I recognized first that Hearth deities exist, and second that they need a domain!

nickl_2000
2017-07-10, 07:06 AM
SNIP

Thanks for your note about Hearthflame, and Ward. How would you feel if I changed the feature to grant 'half your level + your wisdom modifier' every short rest? That means you get ~12 temp hp and 12 fire damage each short rest. Maybe 24-48 over each adventuring day. (Should I keep the quantity at level +Wis?)

I can certainly buy into it like this, it certainly powerful to get a free 12 HP per short rest. However you are godlike at level 17 already and it should be powerful!

zeek0
2017-07-10, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping to get feedback specifically about divine shield - mind dropping some feedback on that subject?