PDA

View Full Version : Dragonwings of the Cult

Dmdork
2017-07-07, 08:53 AM
I'm running HotDQ. Great time. These Dragonwing cultists carry the combat characteristics of their dragon counterpart: ie scimtar does acid damage. How does that work exactly? I mean, the sword isn't a magical sword that does acid damage, so how to do you realistically explain (in the d&d world) how that acid damage is happening?

Mortis_Elrod
2017-07-07, 09:27 AM
Why isn't it a magical sword? I would just slap a magic label on the sword and call it a day. Either that o the cultists cast something like elemental weapon on it?

Moosoculars
2017-07-07, 12:56 PM
Well if you make the swords magical (even without a bonus) any self respecting party would loot these all day.

I would just fluff this with the description like "the dragon wing draws its sword and runs its forked tounge down the length of the blade coating it with a foul smelling acrid slime"

Acid damage. Done.

You will probably have to deal with pcs trying to take acid glands out of their mouths or something but have them make a DC 20 nature or survival check to get one dose of alchemical goo which changes your damage type for 1 minute.

Dmdork
2017-07-08, 08:33 AM
Now there's an idea. Thanks

Falcon X
2017-07-08, 08:43 AM
I treated it as a minorly magical item. Not enough energy in the blade to do magic damage, but enough to bleed acid.

I also let my players use the acid to slowly cut through things, even giving them an acid resistant handle that could be slipped onto the tip so it could be held on both sides.

Unoriginal
2017-07-08, 08:51 AM
You can put poison on your blade, no reason you can't put acide on it (except how it might damage the weapon, but not everyone care about that).

Same way you can put oil on your blade and then put it on fire (same issue with damaging the weapon).

RamonLeondelMar
2018-09-21, 11:00 AM
As the thread title indicates Drago wings general abilities, I thought this would relevant. I would like to know how others run the "limited flight ability". Doesnt sound like they sprout dragonwing so I am considering something that simulates jump, featherfall and a glide down slowly types of abilities. What works for your. campaigns?