PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian/Paladin multiclass

Thoughtbot360
2007-08-06, 06:35 PM
Greetings various fantasy stereotypes in the playground!

I wished I could have sent this question to Twinking out with Red Mage (http://www.nuklearpower.com/redmage.php), but thats been dead for ages, tragically. So I ask of you, how would a Barbarian/Paladin work? Nevermind that it can't due to alignment restrictions (Law and Chaos are the most annoying and useless alignments, just ask Elan. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0068.html)) but how would such a character exist fluff-wise?

mostlyharmful
2007-08-06, 06:39 PM
Righteous-fury The idea of an empassioned holy warrior makes complete sense. Check out 2000ADs Slaine for an idea of how kickass you can be if you get into it.:smallcool:

fluff wise, you're looking at a good barbarian... really, it doesn't need to be any more complicated than that

cupkeyk
2007-08-06, 06:49 PM
Actually, a raging paladin is possible. Begin with a half orc paragon and take that to level three before multiclassing out to paladin.

Also the half-orc paladin substitution levels replace smite with righteous fury.

You basically fuel your strength with virtuous indignation.

MrNexx
2007-08-06, 09:42 PM
Actually, a raging paladin is possible. Begin with a half orc paragon and take that to level three before multiclassing out to paladin.

Also the half-orc paladin substitution levels replace smite with righteous fury.

You basically fuel your strength with virtuous indignation.

Beat me to it. Using something similar to the Half-Orc substitution levels would be a good way to introduce it.

Darrin
2007-08-06, 10:19 PM
Nevermind that it can't due to alignment restrictions (Law and Chaos are the most annoying and useless alignments, just ask Elan. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0068.html)) but how would such a character exist fluff-wise?

There are a couple gazillion variant paladin classes out there, some of which don't require a lawful alignment. Anarch or Avenger from Dragon #312 might be interesting, or Paladin of Freedom from Unearthed Arcana.

Otherwise... yeah, the half-orc template might be the way to go, but there are other PrCs that grant rage or rage-like abilities.

Fluff-wise... if you worship a warlike deity that likes to channel anger and rage into a frothing battle fury, then the Paladin might see himself entering a trance-like state where he becomes possessed by his deity's spirit, channeling divine rage into an unstoppable force to smash apart his enemies. So maybe a few orphanages get destroyed every once in a while... stuff happens, that's what the "Atonement" spell is for.

tannish2
2007-08-06, 10:43 PM
pally of freedom, is good, but half orc racial substitution levels for paladin really fit the concept of a raging holy warrior, though they do replace smite with a rageish feature.... or u could start barbarian a a level or 2 in fighter for alignment transition (or alignment changing attonement) and then paladin

JackMage666
2007-08-06, 10:48 PM
Hellreaver from Fiendish Codex II. Basically.

No where does it say a good person can't get angry. It just so happens a Paladin gets angry evil things. It works.

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-08-06, 10:51 PM
On the Flip side, the BOED has the Champion of Gryf...Gryfwo...Nice angry lady, which gives you some paladin abilities!

Vhaidara
2007-08-06, 10:53 PM
Miko on steroids.

Duke Malagigi
2007-08-06, 11:02 PM
Miko on steroids.

Chaotic Good Miko on steroids is more like it.

AslanCross
2007-08-06, 11:43 PM
On the Flip side, the BOED has the Champion of Gryf...Gryfwo...Nice angry lady, which gives you some paladin abilities!

Gwynharwyf, and yeah, it's basically a paladin/barbarian hybrid. You get D12 hit dice, damage reduction, smite evil, spells, divine grace, etc.

Chronos
2007-08-07, 01:27 PM
Would I be correct to guess that the OP has just read Oath of Swords, by David Weber? If not, then he should. Though Bahzel Banakson (the hero of said story) gets his rage as a racial feature, not a class feature, and he's pretty clearly Lawful Good (but not at all like Miko).

cupkeyk
2007-08-07, 06:37 PM
Speaking of, i have always wanted to play a Half-Orc Paragon3/Paladin4/Kensai5/Warshaper3/Bear Warrior5

Because it says in the lycanthropes entry that were bears are lawful good, but bear warriors are chaotic. Hmmmn

Clove
2007-08-08, 01:11 PM
You can have a barbarian who changes his alignment to Lawful Good. He loses his ability to rage and can't take more levels of barbarian, but then he could take paladin levels instead from that point on.

Thoughtbot360
2007-08-08, 02:31 PM
You can have a barbarian who changes his alignment to Lawful Good. He loses his ability to rage and can't take more levels of barbarian, but then he could take paladin levels instead from that point on.

Actually, thats why I originally posted that bit about how the rules wouldn't allow it. A Barbarian losing his rage (:smallfurious:.....:smallmad: ....:smallfrown: : I can't do it) is kind of like a Bard losing his singing voice (:smallsigh:: Ohhh Maria.....Ohh Maria....How I *coughcoughcough COUGH!* Oh god...*cough*) , more important to the character than just a little bit of your effectiveness in combat, in that losing it is like losing a piece of your soul (possibly to the Tails Doll (http://omgeeman.ytmnd.com/)).

Personally, I think that I perfer some of the other solutions posted here (like the chaotic paladins, half orc levels, etc.), sorry.

Oeryn
2007-08-08, 02:35 PM
On the off chance that you play 2nd Edition, there's the Vindicator, from the Dwarves' Handbook. Basically a cleric that rages, as he sings hymns of his deity. Pretty cool. And you could probably find a way to update it to a PrC, if you wanted. I could see it being a nice paladin PrC.

Yeygresh
2007-08-08, 03:29 PM
The 'Book of Hallowed Might I' has rules for a Chaotic Good Paladin(and Neutral Good as well), basically you lose Turn Undead and Aura of Courage, but gain some combat bonuses. It looks like it would be a rather fluffy choice for Brb/Pld.

AwfulLawful
2007-08-08, 04:32 PM
I'd go for the paladin of freedom from Unearthed Arcana. Not every barbarian/paladin wants to be a half orc :smallwink:

Make the barbarian your first level, to get the extra skill points and higher hit die, then get religeous and become a paladin :smallbiggrin:

magicwalker
2007-08-08, 04:43 PM
^@: Very Romanesque.