PDA

View Full Version : Multi class or not?

Senjou
2017-07-07, 03:52 PM
Hello. I am playing a Wood elf tempest cleric (Dex based 10/18/14/10/16/10) and I will soon level up from 5th to 6th level. I was thinking about multiclassing for a 2 lvl dip in Fighter rather than levelling the cleric, but I am not sure. What do you suggest?

bluthunda
2017-07-07, 04:16 PM
What weapons are you using on your Tempest cleric, cleric itself is pretty good class especially the Tempest subclass. What are you thinking about going Fighter for you already have Heavy armor proficiency not that you are using it since you're dex based.

I see action surge as the only thing you could possibly be hoping to get from Fighter from what I've seen said around most say it's not really worth delaying your casting levels.

Theodoxus
2017-07-07, 05:01 PM
If you started Fighter, that'd be one thing. The Con save proficiency is worth it in a lot of circles. But it's just not worth the loss of spell slots or higher level spells to MC fighter when you're gaining so little.

What was your reasoning for doing so? There's probably a better solution.

Senjou
2017-07-07, 05:24 PM
I am using a longbow/rapier shield. The idea would be getting to lvl 2 to pick up action surge, and then come back to the cleric

Beelzebubba
2017-07-07, 06:09 PM
At low levels it's huge, at high levels when you're throwing a Banishment instead of Insect Plague, Flame Strike or Mass Cure Wounds your +2hp and one more action per long rest might lose it's luster.

Citan
2017-07-08, 07:42 AM
Hello. I am playing a Wood elf tempest cleric (Dex based 10/18/14/10/16/10) and I will soon level up from 5th to 6th level. I was thinking about multiclassing for a 2 lvl dip in Fighter rather than levelling the cleric, but I am not sure. What do you suggest?
I guess you thought about this for Action Surge nova once you get the 2nd CD per short rest?
Because otherwise honestly it's a waste of level. Big time. All proficiencies are redundant, Second Wind is not better than a 1st level Cure Wounds at that level, Fighting Style is really not that important (only one worthy would be Defense, but it does not justify the dip). So basically "2 levels for Action Surge". Meaning 2 levels during which you don't improve your spells. And leveling up will start to take a looooong time soon enough. XD

Seriously, don't. ;) First get Cleric up to 9 at the very least, then you can ask yourself if getting a nova casting is worth it (I think probably not, but it depends on your party).

Specter
2017-07-08, 08:14 AM
Yes, for 3 levels.

1: Defense fighting style gives you +1AC, which you want with a leather armor. Second Wind gives you some bonus healing which is decent.
2: Action Surge speaks for itself.
3: Going Eldritch Knight, you can get Booming Blade, which will improve with time and will make your single attack very respectable. By level 11, you will deal 1d8+1d8(divine strike)+2d8(bb)+dex+possible moving damage. Pretty cool. Absorb Elements and Find Familiar are also very good spells which clerics don't have.

Of course, going single Cleric is fine too, but I see the dip as a solid one.

Citan
2017-07-08, 09:17 AM
Yes, for 3 levels.

1: Defense fighting style gives you +1AC, which you want with a leather armor. Second Wind gives you some bonus healing which is decent.
2: Action Surge speaks for itself.
3: Going Eldritch Knight, you can get Booming Blade, which will improve with time and will make your single attack very respectable. By level 11, you will deal 1d8+1d8(divine strike)+2d8(bb)+dex+possible moving damage. Pretty cool. Absorb Elements and Find Familiar are also very good spells which clerics don't have.

Of course, going single Cleric is fine too, but I see the dip as a solid one.
Hmm, I frankly don't think that is such a good idea.
In fact, I'd say it's a plain bad idea. Why?

1. You permanently renounce to the potential of Cleric's capstone (well, this one is debatable), an ASI (hard) and a third expense of CD (significant), along with three more levels of spellcasting (very hard imo).

2. You delay your Cleric progression big-time, which affects both your spells and additional features, which your party may very well want to rely on. And considering how further each next character level is (34k > 48k > 64k > 85k > 100k > 120k > etc), it means you will wait for a very, very, very long time to get the higher level spells. AND the extra damage on weapon attacks. AND the very nifty permanent "outdoor fly speed" and 3rd CD per short rest.

All of which for what?
+1 AC: you could cast Warding Bond on yourself for the tough fight if you really want one more point of AC.
Booming Blade: Magic Initiate can provide it without hampering Cleric progression.
Find Familiar: always fun to have, but no real synergy with Cleric abilities so really dispensable.
Absorb Elements: nice spell to have, but not a "must-have" considering the price. Especially since Cleric, contrarily to Wizard, cannot regain spells during the day.
Shield: same.
Action Surge: one more action per short rest. Same.

Basically the most value things here are...
a) the cantrips, because they scale with character level. And you can get them as Magic Initiate (or even Spell Sniper for whip fun), which keeps your Cleric progression (incidentally, it means you get the bonus damage on weapon attacks from Tempest right on track).
b) Action Surge, which imo is absolutely not worth having to wait 2-3 full characters level to get Destructive Wave, Raise Dead, Resurrection, Symbol, Antimagic Field...

I really think it's a net loss overall. Would have had a different opinion with a different domain though, or for a character that would be built as a half-caster gish from the start. ;)

napoleon_in_rag
2017-07-08, 09:46 AM

Does it fit your character and the way you've roleplayed him/her? How does it work with the character's background? Where did your character learn these skills? Is there a gap in your party you are trying to fill?

These are the questions I would ask and not get bogged down with how its going to effect your average damage per round.

Specter
2017-07-08, 09:54 AM
Hmm, I frankly don't think that is such a good idea.
In fact, I'd say it's a plain bad idea. Why?

1. You permanently renounce to the potential of Cleric's capstone (well, this one is debatable), an ASI (hard) and a third expense of CD (significant), along with three more levels of spellcasting (very hard imo).

2. You delay your Cleric progression big-time, which affects both your spells and additional features, which your party may very well want to rely on. And considering how further each next character level is (34k > 48k > 64k > 85k > 100k > 120k > etc), it means you will wait for a very, very, very long time to get the higher level spells. AND the extra damage on weapon attacks. AND the very nifty permanent "outdoor fly speed" and 3rd CD per short rest.

All of which for what?
+1 AC: you could cast Warding Bond on yourself for the tough fight if you really want one more point of AC.
Booming Blade: Magic Initiate can provide it without hampering Cleric progression.
Find Familiar: always fun to have, but no real synergy with Cleric abilities so really dispensable.
Absorb Elements: nice spell to have, but not a "must-have" considering the price. Especially since Cleric, contrarily to Wizard, cannot regain spells during the day.
Shield: same.
Action Surge: one more action per short rest. Same.

Basically the most value things here are...
a) the cantrips, because they scale with character level. And you can get them as Magic Initiate (or even Spell Sniper for whip fun), which keeps your Cleric progression (incidentally, it means you get the bonus damage on weapon attacks from Tempest right on track).
b) Action Surge, which imo is absolutely not worth having to wait 2-3 full characters level to get Destructive Wave, Raise Dead, Resurrection, Symbol, Antimagic Field...

I really think it's a net loss overall. Would have had a different opinion with a different domain though, or for a character that would be built as a half-caster gish from the start. ;)

Well, guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. I guess it's up to OP if he wants to cast more or be more resilient and hit harder.

Finieous
2017-07-08, 10:11 AM
I think it's fine, but do it after Cleric 9 IMO. Get your ASI, Divine Strike, Destructive Wave, Greater Restoration, Mass Cure Wounds, Raise Dead, etc., then take the fighter levels.

Citan
2017-07-08, 10:23 AM
Well, guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. I guess it's up to OP if he wants to cast more or be more resilient and hit harder.
Fixed that for you. :smallbiggrin: Remember, you can grab weapon cantrips (and Find Familiar for that matter) with Magic Initiate, like at level 8, right at the time you get Divine Strike.
Otherwise, agreed to disagree indeed. :)

Dudu
2017-07-08, 12:55 PM
Multiclassing Druid isn't a bad idea. It's even flavourful with Tempest.

Citan
2017-07-09, 07:02 AM
Multiclassing Druid isn't a bad idea. It's even flavourful with Tempest.
It's even usually a very good idea for many WIS classes in fact.
There is a significant problem for a Tempest Cleric though: you probably didn't go DEX as your main stat, but first WIS then STR to wear heavy armor.

Then there is the bit about Druids wearing only leather armor (so the lowest of medium). That would make a big dent into AC, so survivability.
If a "classic" Tempest Cleric wanted to do it, better check first with the DM is he can...
- Either waive around that bit, on the premise that player's character is a Cleric at core, and just studied scriptures of Druidic knowledge or something like that...
- Or craft some quest somewhere/somewhen not too "far away" that would end in OP getting a handcrafted wood/leather "heavy armor".
If neither one is possible, then I'd advise against it. ;)

Now, for OP, it would actually be great since he probably relies on light/medium armor already.
Then he can even, when taking Magic Initiate for Booming Blade and Shocking Grasp (or Lightning Lure), grab Mage Armor if he wants to improve his AC by 1-2 more points. ;)

Zardnaar
2017-07-09, 07:23 AM
At this point stay single classed.