PDA

View Full Version : Tearing of the weave related.

kkortekaas
2007-08-06, 06:50 PM
I'm looking to create a lizardman / half-black dragon, one of Despayr's progeny. He's for a locate and destroy type mission in the swamp near Wheloon and I was wondering if someone could give me a hand creating the lizardman with a level of fighter (or barb) as well as possibly provide a reason for his tribe to be harassing Wheloon...

I know I'm asking alot but I've only got a rough idea of what I'd like to occur in the coming adventure and having a more solid foundation would be super..

MrNexx
2007-08-06, 09:41 PM
Good reason for them to be harassing Wheloon is that they're from the Vast Swamp, and business that involves "despoiling" the swamp tends to go through Wheloon. The lizard men (including several non-half-black dragons) are living in the Wyvernwater, launching raids on Wheloon when convenient.

kkortekaas
2007-08-07, 07:19 AM
Good reason for them to be harassing Wheloon is that they're from the Vast Swamp, and business that involves "despoiling" the swamp tends to go through Wheloon. The lizard men (including several non-half-black dragons) are living in the Wyvernwater, launching raids on Wheloon when convenient.

What do you mean "...business that involves despoiling the swamp..."? Also, do you think having the war band leader (Lizardman half-dragon (black) fighter 1) along with his warband (say, 4 or 5 normal lizardman warriors + 1 cleric or sorc of about 3rd level?) would be a decent challenge for a group of level 2 - 3s

Swooper
2007-08-07, 08:12 AM
Way too powerful. Four lizardman warriors are EL 4, add the chief and it's up to 6, add a 3rd level lizardman to that (the clr/sor) and it's up to 7. Try using this tool (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20010320b) to help you make fair encounters.

kkortekaas
2007-08-07, 09:31 AM
Easy Fella,
I don't intend them to be faced all at once, I'm just designing the warband to provide an overall challenge for the group.

MrNexx
2007-08-07, 10:21 AM
What do you mean "...business that involves despoiling the swamp..."? Also, do you think having the war band leader (Lizardman half-dragon (black) fighter 1) along with his warband (say, 4 or 5 normal lizardman warriors + 1 cleric or sorc of about 3rd level?) would be a decent challenge for a group of level 2 - 3s

The Crown of Cormyr would really like it if the Vast Swamp were gone. It has minimal economic value, and is a haven for various types of baddies (monsters, brigands, etc.). Possible businesses involve draining the swamp (using either magic or engineering), or harvesting things from it. An adventurer, maybe, goes into the Vast Swamp and steals a bunch of stuff from the lizardmen, who track him down. Or a company starts hauling wood away, threatening sacred places for the lizardmen (who might see the entire swamp as a holy place).

As for the warband, it depends on how long you want this to go on. For a few sessions, I would suggest increasing the number of regular lizardmen to about 20; the leader is going to have his minions near him, but he'll also have others out and doing his work for him.

Arbitrarity
2007-08-07, 11:20 AM
Way too powerful. Four lizardman warriors are EL 4, add the chief and it's up to 6, add a 3rd level lizardman to that (the clr/sor) and it's up to 7. Try using this tool (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20010320b) to help you make fair encounters.

Note that a party should have a 50-50 chance of beating down an encounter 4 CR above their level. It should also drain all their resources, and depends heavily upon their optimization.

kkortekaas
2007-08-07, 11:58 AM
based on my party disposition, I think that although challenging, they will overcome the head lizardmen without PC death.