PDA

View Full Version : Disabler/Battlefield Controller Help

FaceofBo
2017-07-07, 06:11 PM
So, I was thinking of making a preferably martial character with a heavy focus on battlefield control, buffing allies, de-buffing enemies, maneuvering enemies and allies into the most advantageous positions, so on. What I am currently thinking is Battle Master fighter/Diviner Wizard (For those sweet sweet portents) and focusing on spells like Darkness (stopping enemy archers & spellcasters) Fog cloud (general shenanigans), Web, Blindness/Deafness, Thunderwave, and the like while also using the Battle Master's maneuvers to position allies and call shots. Depending on the build, my biggest concern is getting kinda MAD, but I think if I start Fighter1, grab Plate ASAP, maybe Variant Human for Warcaster so I can sword and board until 3 where I grab my first Maneuvers as a Battle Master, then dipping 2-3 into Wiz for the nice early control/debuff spells to get this build going. Either that or grabbing Tavern Brawler instead of Warcaster and using Grapples to move enemies and be a little more hands on with my battlefield control, and waiting on Warcaster until Fighter4. I'm wondering if there are better ways to do this? If so, how would you suggest building it?

djreynolds
2017-07-08, 07:01 AM
A cleric/bard can do this.

Expertise in athletics goes along way.

I would go Tempest Cleric/Lore Bard, you don't need the extra attack as spiritual weapon is right there

Lesser restoration is a spell you need for de-buffing, bless will help out with saves and attacks.

Lore bard will give magic secrets so you can grab spells of choice right at 6th.

You'll get full plate and martial weapons from tempest cleric.

Citan
2017-07-08, 07:30 AM
So, I was thinking of making a preferably martial character with a heavy focus on battlefield control, buffing allies, de-buffing enemies, maneuvering enemies and allies into the most advantageous positions, so on. What I am currently thinking is Battle Master fighter/Diviner Wizard (For those sweet sweet portents) and focusing on spells like Darkness (stopping enemy archers & spellcasters) Fog cloud (general shenanigans), Web, Blindness/Deafness, Thunderwave, and the like while also using the Battle Master's maneuvers to position allies and call shots. Depending on the build, my biggest concern is getting kinda MAD, but I think if I start Fighter1, grab Plate ASAP, maybe Variant Human for Warcaster so I can sword and board until 3 where I grab my first Maneuvers as a Battle Master, then dipping 2-3 into Wiz for the nice early control/debuff spells to get this build going. Either that or grabbing Tavern Brawler instead of Warcaster and using Grapples to move enemies and be a little more hands on with my battlefield control, and waiting on Warcaster until Fighter4. I'm wondering if there are better ways to do this? If so, how would you suggest building it?
I'd advise you to take Lore Bard rather than Diviner Wizard, although honestly the latter is very fine too.
Its advantage is having more spells to switch between days whereas Bard's spells are set in stone (except for level swap).
With that said, Bard class provides much more of what you seem to want: healing, to start (that's a sort of buffing too XD), several good buff spells (including Enhance Ability), several non-stat efficient offensive spells (such as Heat Metal), and more importantly Expertise and Bardic Inspiration which refills on short rest if you go as high as 5. And going 6 allows you to grab a few more great spells if you'd like.
So something like starting Fighter, going up to 5, then going Bard until you get at least 2nd level spells, then back fighter, and so on, could end with a strong build like Fighter 11+ / Bard 5+, with Inspiring Leader and Shield Master feats.
Now the big lack of my suggestion is weapon cantrips, although you could just grab Spell Sniper or Magic Initiate for that. ;)
Also it does require more than just dipping.

If you are set on 2-3 level max, Wizard is the better choice, no doubt about it. :)

djreynolds
2017-07-09, 01:45 AM
I think he needs lesser restoration, lay on hands at 14th is far away.

Arcana cleric has that cool ability.

Bard/cleric and grab ritual caster wizard.... call it a day.

follacchioso
2017-07-09, 02:11 AM
Get the shield master feat and expertise in athletics if you can. It allows you to move or knock your enemies prone, which is a good use of your bonus action every round and does not consume any resource (such as superiority dice)