PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Character Creation: The Problem with Alt-aholism

Wartex1
2017-07-07, 07:22 PM
Recently, my usual group has been planning a Pathfinder campaign, and naturally, I was one of the first to decide on a character and stat everything out.

Then I wanted to change to a different character, but after spending a week or so nailing down the little details, the character was ultimately disallowed by the GM for backstory reasons.

Then I went on to make another character, that I ultimately abandoned because I couldn't justifiably backstory them, and then another due to mechanics, and another due to thematic differences, and another, and another, and so on.

So I have a problem with Alt-aholism. Does anyone have any advice to get over this phenomenon?

Arbane
2017-07-07, 07:48 PM
So I have a problem with Alt-aholism. Does anyone have any advice to get over this phenomenon?

Become a GM and use them as NPCs?

Fizban
2017-07-08, 02:35 AM
Play in a campaign that can support or even encourages alternate characters.

Wartex1
2017-07-08, 05:41 AM
To myself.

The big problem isn't that I don't want to make a bunch of characters (I love finding little combos), it's that I have lots of trouble sticking with the same concept because the tiniest mechanical or thematic problems irk me more the longer I have noticed them, and the one character I was most satisfied with (A Tiefling Living Grimoire Inquisitor focused on Knowledge, Intimidate, and Crafting skills) was rejected because the GM thought it would clash with the rest of the party (custom setting where almost all magic is granted by patrons and deities, except every magic user currently in the party uses innate magic).

atemu1234
2017-07-08, 06:08 AM
I find that this 'alt-aholism' is often the result of being invested in the character creation, but not in the roleplaying of the character, itself. I recommend that you try just coming up with a character on the fly and then roleplaying it as best you can as opposed to trying to come up with a new character every time a concept shows itself.

Wartex1
2017-07-08, 06:31 AM
The campaign hasn't started yet, so part of the problem might just me not being able to invest in each character apart from the mechanics. Maybe it'll subside once I actually get to play one of the characters.