PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 3.5 Divine Metamagic With Persistent Feat

AidenSpade
2017-07-07, 08:41 PM
Ok, I need the dumbed down explanation of how this combo works. I understand that you have the have extend feat and take DMM before Persistent. If you want to persist a 6th level spell what is the cost of turns to do so. Does the cost change if you persist a 4th level spell. If so please explain the breakdown of how it is calculated.

Thanks,

mastermisha1
2017-07-07, 09:00 PM
Persistant spells are cast from spell slots 6 level higher than normal. DMM reduces the needed spells slot by using turn ir rebuke attempts at the cost of 1+ level increase of metamagic, in this case 6. Therefore, by spending 7 turn or rebuke attempts, you cab cast any qualifying spell you have as though you had used the persistant metamagic feat on it, without the increase in spell level. The cost in turn or rebuke attempts is the same no matter what the base spell level is.

Jormengand
2017-07-07, 09:13 PM
Essentially, Divine Metamagic is a metamagic cost replacement effect - every time a metamagic feat says "A spell prepared with this metamagic feat takes up a slot X higher than normal", you can either choose to do that or use divine metamagic to pay X+1 turning attempts, and use up the normal slot for casting the spell.

AidenSpade
2017-07-08, 09:15 AM
Thank you, this really helps me out.

Malimar
2017-07-08, 10:21 AM
Ok, I need the dumbed down explanation of how this combo works. I understand that you have the have extend feat and take DMM before Persistent. If you want to persist a 6th level spell what is the cost of turns to do so. Does the cost change if you persist a 4th level spell. If so please explain the breakdown of how it is calculated.

Thanks,

You've actually got it slightly backwards -- you have to take Extend Spell, then Persistent Spell, then Divine Metamagic, because DMM requires you to select a metamagic feat you already have, so you have to already have Persistent.

Otherwise, it's as others in the thread have explained.

(Because metamagic reduction is one of the most abusable things in 3.5, making an already excessively strong thing (e.g. tier 1 classes) even stronger, some DMs may sensibly make rulings like "you can't cast a metamagic+reduction spell if you wouldn't be able to cast it without reduction" -- so you'd need to be able to cast 12th-level spells to be able to Persist+DMM a 6th-level spell. But this is houserules.)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-07-08, 12:57 PM
It changed after the Complete Divine Errata (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/errata), which made Divine Metamagic require you to already have the metamagic feat in question, and it now only works on divine spells.

So you need to take Extend Spell and Persistent Spell both before taking Divine Metamagic in order to pick Persistent spell for it.