PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Luck Spell Line

gooddragon1
2017-07-07, 10:30 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

rferries
2017-07-08, 04:57 PM
Nice but compare heroism, greater heroism, good hope for the higher-level spells - they give flat +2/+4 bonuses on pretty much everything already. Yours have the advantage of the contingent duration but I'm not sure casters would be using a spell slot for a single +1/+2 bonus at a later date. I'd bump up the bonus if you use the longer duration option. Your cantrip is a flavourful alternative to guidance though.

Deepbluediver
2017-07-08, 08:07 PM
Rather than having the spell give you a flat bonus, what about having it give you the 5th-edition version of advantage? I.e. roll two d20 and take the higher one? I feel like that's more thematically appropriate for something called "luck".

Baby Gary
2017-07-08, 09:04 PM
Rather than having the spell give you a flat bonus, what about having it give you the 5th-edition version of advantage? I.e. roll two d20 and take the higher one? I feel like that's more thematically appropriate for something called "luck".

I second that

gooddragon1
2017-07-10, 03:26 PM

I second that

Because that's already been done and it doesn't feel like getting lucky to me. It feels like fixing your luck (which admittedly the spell description does, but that's what the bonus is for). I want something like a crit for your luck which is what this is, but it still gives a bonus so you aren't entirely dependent on it.

Nice but compare heroism, greater heroism, good hope for the higher-level spells - they give flat +2/+4 bonuses on pretty much everything already. Yours have the advantage of the contingent duration but I'm not sure casters would be using a spell slot for a single +1/+2 bonus at a later date. I'd bump up the bonus if you use the longer duration option. Your cantrip is a flavourful alternative to guidance though.

Agreed, and for an extra buff, I'll say that you add 1/2 your caster level as well if you "crit" on your luck.

I've been so lazy. So much homebrew to do, but so many good games from the steam summer sale.

Deepbluediver
2017-07-10, 08:47 PM
Because that's already been done and it doesn't feel like getting lucky to me. It feels like fixing your luck (which admittedly the spell description does, but that's what the bonus is for). I want something like a crit for your luck which is what this is, but it still gives a bonus so you aren't entirely dependent on it.
Has it been done in 3.5? And I'm not sure what exactly what you mean by "a crit for luck" but flat, static bonuses feel pretty boring to me. And a spell that you have to take 4 times to stay relevant isn't any fun IMO either- why not just make 1 spell that scales with level?

rferries
2017-07-10, 09:10 PM
Agreed, and for an extra buff, I'll say that you add 1/2 your caster level as well if you "crit" on your luck.

Sounds like a good edit!

Has it been done in 3.5? And I'm not sure what exactly what you mean by "a crit for luck" but flat, static bonuses feel pretty boring to me. And a spell that you have to take 4 times to stay relevant isn't any fun IMO either- why not just make 1 spell that scales with level?

Flat bonuses might be boring but they can always be reflavoured through roleplay - "my supernatural luck makes the enemy arrows whistle right past me"/"helps me guess the answer to the Sphinx's riddle" etc.! Greater Heroism is really an incredibly versatile spell in what it can let you do.

Definitely agreed on streamlining it down to one or two spells. Plus maybe a new descriptor is in order ([Luck]); Divine Favour and Wish could use it.

gooddragon1
2017-07-11, 05:34 PM
Sounds like a good edit!

Flat bonuses might be boring but they can always be reflavoured through roleplay - "my supernatural luck makes the enemy arrows whistle right past me"/"helps me guess the answer to the Sphinx's riddle" etc.! Greater Heroism is really an incredibly versatile spell in what it can let you do.

Definitely agreed on streamlining it down to one or two spells. Plus maybe a new descriptor is in order ([Luck]); Divine Favour and Wish could use it.

I haven't ever heard of a spell changing drastically with level. That's more psionic powers deal with augmentations. Maybe give an option to prepare the luck spell in a 0, 1st, or 3rd level slot for relevant effects?

rferries
2017-07-11, 05:55 PM
I haven't ever heard of a spell changing drastically with level. That's more psionic powers deal with augmentations. Maybe give an option to prepare the luck spell in a 0, 1st, or 3rd level slot for relevant effects?

What about resist energy, phantom steed, scorching ray, create undead, etc? (I agree normally the changes are milder - like fireball for example), but there's definitely precedent for big shifts in granted bonuses etc.

gooddragon1
2017-07-11, 06:21 PM
What about resist energy, phantom steed, scorching ray, create undead, etc? (I agree normally the changes are milder - like fireball for example), but there's definitely precedent for big shifts in granted bonuses etc.

Steed is a good example, but it's the difference between one target and multiple targets. That's why I'm thinking of doing something like allowing it to be prepared in different slots for greater effects.

Basically having the 1st level version be able to upgraded or downgraded (so you still have to learn it as a 1st level spell rather than a 0 level spell, but it can be upgraded to 3rd or downgraded to cantrip/0.

rferries
2017-07-11, 06:35 PM
Steed is a good example, but it's the difference between one target and multiple targets. That's why I'm thinking of doing something like allowing it to be prepared in different slots for greater effects.

Basically having the 1st level version be able to upgraded or downgraded (so you still have to learn it as a 1st level spell rather than a 0 level spell, but it can be upgraded to 3rd or downgraded to cantrip/0.

Surely that's an even rarer mechanic? Certainly there aren't any core spells that function that way (which isn't to say it's a bad idea; if you want it go for it! :) ).

Deepbluediver
2017-07-12, 08:55 AM
Yeah, and that's one of my major complaints with 3.5- you end up retaking the same stuff over and over again.
I'd condense this into 2-spells max, maybe 1 level single-use type deal, and a higher level buff spell.

4 spells that basically just add a bonus in the exact same way other things add bonuses is a lot of uninteresting filler, IMO.

gooddragon1
2017-07-12, 04:54 PM
Yeah, and that's one of my major complaints with 3.5- you end up retaking the same stuff over and over again.
I'd condense this into 2-spells max, maybe 1 level single-use type deal, and a higher level buff spell.

4 spells that basically just add a bonus in the exact same way other things add bonuses is a lot of uninteresting filler, IMO.

Surely that's an even rarer mechanic? Certainly there aren't any core spells that function that way (which isn't to say it's a bad idea; if you want it go for it! :) ).

That was a taxing ordeal, but the changes have been made. I'm tempted to move the flavor suggestion up into some sort of luck descriptor definition section.