PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder "Mutant" system

Pandemis
2017-07-08, 01:46 AM
So, I have been working on a system for a world with a mage vs mutant sub-theme. I'm getting ready to play test in a game soon but was curious if anyone had ideas for tweaks or general suggestions before it actually hits the table.

As it stands lvl 1 every PC has the opportunity to partake if they wish. Those not wanting to do so get a free feat (possibly a bonus to a stat of their choice as well. Still on the fence on that one.) Those that do opt in get their choice of lvl 1 spell to 'cast' up to lvl/day. At third level they can upgrade to a lvl 2 spell but the times per day drops to 1/2 lvl/day. At fifth level they can go to lvl 3 spell but again, uses per day drops. This time to once per 3 levels. A feat will allow additional uses per day, but I'm still trying to figure out the wording so that it gives similar power to someone at any of the three spell lvls.

Still working on rules for the upgrade process. Something like has to be within the same school of magic or the like. I'm not as worried about that at the moment as my playgroup is pretty well grounded and trustworthy. And we have a standing rule of, "It has to make sense."

I am aware of the intrinsic dangers of giving the PCs too much power, but that's where the world comes in to help balance them out. Show your power too much and you basically become a fugitive running from the mages guild.

I'm more curious if anyone has other ideas or suggestions for either the core concept or additions to make it more interesting.

Lyuketsu
2017-07-08, 02:00 AM
Hey, that sounds pretty fun. They only thing i might say that would be less over powered for the mutant players is that their spells are not times per day = level, as that might outbalance the people who only get a feat, especially since most feats from level 1 aren't as useful as a spell might be (from personal experience). Maybe make it 1 from first level, and then 1 extra per day for every 2 HD beyond that? I hope it helps :smallsmile:

AOKost
2017-07-10, 02:09 PM
I'd love to see a Pathfinder version of something like Mutants and Masterminds... That would be really cool!

Vogie
2017-07-11, 01:13 PM
I think that a mutant power should stay low enough that they can use many times a day, so keeping it low is best. Even for people who don't want a "mutant" power, they could just as easily start with little "Spidey Sense" type of powers. Even more so, if they don't actively choose one, you just assign them a secret "mutation" that acts as though they have a level 1 utility ability, but THEY don't realize yet, and they're "Always-on" until the PC notices.

Anticipate Peril
Voice Alteration
Interrogate
Know the Enemy
Unprepared Combatant
Phantom Blood
Monkey Fish
Memorize Page
Invisibility Alarm
Heightened Awareness
Sundering Shards
Remove Fear
Detect Secret Doors
Deathwatch
Resistance
Hide From Animals
Comprehend Languages

Your Player may never know they have, for example, Sundering Shards until they destroy something and watch it magically explode, or may completely miss their Invisibility Alarm ability completely because they don't follow the plot hook that has them run into Invisible creatures, or their Unprepared Combatant Ability may be construed as the DM rolling poorly on initiative.