PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #1080 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2017-07-08, 08:02 AM
New comic is up.

Mystic Muse
2017-07-08, 08:07 AM
Would have gone for a :smalleek: emote myself. :smalltongue:

I'm interested to see where this is all going.

super dark33
2017-07-08, 08:08 AM
For some reason i thought Thrym would look like a frost version of Rich if we would see him.

Yana
2017-07-08, 08:10 AM
As if we needed further proof that gods can be petty. :smalltongue:

Goosefarble
2017-07-08, 08:11 AM
Thyrm could get it, she doesn't know what she's missing out on

Anarion
2017-07-08, 08:14 AM
Ah, the most classic dark pact. Roy being thrilled at the villain knowing his name is also amusing.

johnbragg
2017-07-08, 08:16 AM

Desperation is a massive turnoff.

GreatWyrmGold
2017-07-08, 08:16 AM
Aw, poor Thrym. He was doing all this for love!

Or possibly just a desire for the power which comes with being consort to the Queen of Gods, but I'd prefer to think it's love for now.

i6uuaq
2017-07-08, 08:17 AM
So, no other alliances, then? It doesn't look as though Thrym has any tricks left up his sleeve either.

lothos
2017-07-08, 08:17 AM
Ok... I'll be the first to ask the dumb question:
Is the title a reference to something I'm not aware of ?
I was hoping someone else might have already asked so I could avoid looking stupid :-)

I get it that OOTS is clever and that they are stopping Gods (well, Hell...)
What am I missing with the title ?

Cheers.

Itrogash
2017-07-08, 08:21 AM
Huh, so gods can be desperate too :-P

zimmerwald1915
2017-07-08, 08:23 AM
Ok... I'll be the first to ask the dumb question:
Is the title a reference to something I'm not aware of ?
It's certainly a reference to the Gene Wilder Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, in which the candy brand "everlasting gobstoppers" play a fairly big plot role. I'm about ninety percent sure the candy doesn't appear in the book Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

You can, however, buy them in real life. (http://www.candywarehouse.com/products/everlasting-gobstopper-candy-packs-24-piece-box/)

danielxcutter
2017-07-08, 08:27 AM
Wow, I'm early!

Seriously, these few last updates have been pure gold! And so quick to update as well!

Priceguy
2017-07-08, 08:32 AM
It's certainly a reference to the Gene Wilder Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, in which the candy brand "everlasting gobstoppers" play a fairly big plot role. I'm about ninety percent sure the candy doesn't appear in the book Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

You can, however, buy them in real life. (http://www.in.gov/sos/elections/)

By voting in Indiana?

Yendor
I don't think anyone predicted that would be the reason.

Which is a little surprising, given how quick some people around here are to start shipping.

I guess Hel doesn't have anything else up her sleeve, because she hasn't got sleeves. :smalltongue:

Unoriginal
Mmmh, the death goddess is taking this situation pretty well, all things considered.

I guess it's true Hel hath no fury like a woman scorned.

An eternal candy does appear in the book, but it's just shown in passing while Wonka says he has someone testing if it's *really* everlasting. The test has been ongoing since the last decade.

Eldest
2017-07-08, 08:33 AM
Fun one as always! And some nice exposition too.

zimmerwald1915
2017-07-08, 08:33 AM
By voting in Indiana?
Yes. And certainly not by remembering to actually hit ctrl+c when you want to copy a new link. Who would ever do that? :smallredface:

MReav
2017-07-08, 08:36 AM
Sold out the world for a booty call. Or power, but claiming it was for a booty call is funnier.

Thrym, this is more desperate than that time you stole Thor's hammer in an attempt to get in Freyja's pants.

ti'esar
2017-07-08, 08:37 AM
Man, Thrym is a loser. And I like how he looks that way too - I tend to picture most of the gods that haven't put in appearances as looking like their high priests, but in this case the latter was way more imposing.

I don't know why he was being so secretive about the whole business, though. It's not like this is the version of Hel that's half a corpse.

Darkohaku
2017-07-08, 08:42 AM
Man, sure Hel is the main threat at this moment for the Order, I'm waiting what her next move will be.

But Thrym was a loser, but a powerful one, is a dangerous thing humiliating a god.

NihhusHuotAliro
2017-07-08, 08:44 AM
I almost feel bad for Thrym in the last panel. Almost.

Stabbey
2017-07-08, 08:47 AM
Perfect last line.

Psyren
2017-07-08, 08:47 AM

I dunno, he seems like he'd be pretty frigid in bed :smallwink:

Desperation is a massive turnoff.

That too!

But Thrym was a loser, but a powerful one, is a dangerous thing humiliating a god.

Dangerous indeed - but they were going to piss off evil gods sooner or later, so no avoiding it. Hell, the Dark One is probably not in their fan club right now also, and I'm pretty sure Tiamat won't be sending fruit baskets anytime soon.

ORione
2017-07-08, 08:55 AM
Loki's presumably rooting for them, though.

BTW, here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0145.html)'s the chalkboard thing Elan was talking about, in case anyone wants to see it again.

jafar
2017-07-08, 08:59 AM
New comic is up.

The kick-a$$ Frost Giant warrior who almost killed Roy is going to be darn disappointed when she meets her 'maker'. 'I died for this guy? Arrgggghhh!'

Maybe she'll kick *his* a$$ and the FGs will get a real god for a change. Or rather goddess.

unbeliever536
2017-07-08, 09:00 AM
Man, Thrym is a loser. And I like how he looks that way too - I tend to picture most of the gods that haven't put in appearances as looking like their high priests, but in this case the latter was way more imposing.

I don't know why he was being so secretive about the whole business, though. It's not like this is the version of Hel that's half a corpse.

"I will vote to destroy the world because she promised I could sleep with her" doesn't exactly look great next to reasoning like "I will see this world torn to shreds before I allow anyone to have a tactical advantage over us" and "The souls of the dead are too precious to risk to oblivion". Presumably Thrym doesn't want to be lumped in with the likes of Baldur, who clearly ... didn't put much thought into his vote.

Note that he might only (or at least mostly) care about concealing his motives from his worshipers; Thor and Odin also present a much more serious and respectable face at the Godsmoot than they ever have when we see them in the planes. Even Loki acts a bit more mature in front of the mortals.

The MunchKING
2017-07-08, 09:01 AM

Maybe she is. We never see her from the waist down. Horizontal dividing was how it worked in Brathalla.

dps
2017-07-08, 09:01 AM

Would you wanna let everybody know that you're that desperate?

Starknight62040
2017-07-08, 09:03 AM
Get Out! I love it

Ezekiel
2017-07-08, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure if Thrym's smile is funny or creepy at the end. I'm going to go with funny, in sort of a sad way.

Psyren
2017-07-08, 09:23 AM

His support is lukewarm at best though (ironic for a god of fire.) More important I think is that Odin and Thor have a vested interest in them succeeding, given that the former will likely lose his throne and the latter's many supporters (including his high priest) will become chew toys or otherwise humiliated for eternity.

The kick-a$$ Frost Giant warrior who almost killed Roy is going to be darn disappointed when she meets her 'maker'. 'I died for this guy? Arrgggghhh!'

Maybe she'll kick *his* a$$ and the FGs will get a real god for a change. Or rather goddess.

I don't think we should take one out-of-context interaction between this guy and Hel as indicative of his entire personality. He could very well be a badass in his own right. But in Hel's presence, he'd have to step lightly and debase himself due to her temperamental nature and immense power.

I'm not sure if Thrym's smile is funny or creepy at the end. I'm going to go with funny, in sort of a sad way.

It's definitely meant to be funny. Here our heroes are very seriously theorizing on the kinds of base, unholy and fel pacts that could empower two evil gods to join forces, and it turns out to have been the power of nookie.

Reathin
2017-07-08, 09:27 AM
Mmmh, the death goddess is taking this situation pretty well, all things considered.

I guess it's true Hel hath no fury like a woman scorned.

As a punnoisseur of corny jokes, I just want to go ahead and say that this made me chuckle.

Jaxzan Proditor
2017-07-08, 09:28 AM
This strip was just full of good laughs. It's really nice to see the whole Order (well, mostly whole) interacting as a bunch. Also, that cutaway panel was absolutely hilarious. I wonder if it means we'll be seeing a bit more of the High Priest of Hel next.

Unoriginal
2017-07-08, 09:38 AM
As a punnoisseur of corny jokes, I just want to go ahead and say that this made me chuckle.

A cornoisseur, you mean?

Peelee
2017-07-08, 10:01 AM
In surprised nobody speculated this like they tried with the Laurin-Tarkin favor.

wRAR
2017-07-08, 10:05 AM
The second panel says "beserker".

137beth
2017-07-08, 10:08 AM
Ah, a villain actually remembers Roy. That's progress!

SSGW Priest
2017-07-08, 10:08 AM
Love that :roy: is getting comfortable saying :belkar: is right--didn't even skip a beat--while :belkar: is still weirded out.

Dilvish
2017-07-08, 10:45 AM
I like Elan's annoyed look in panel two. Who hasn't felt that way at least once about too many random encounters?

And Roy, so happy to be recognized by a villain.

Thecommander236
2017-07-08, 11:00 AM
So love e en affects the gods' good judgment, good to know.

Scarlet Knight
2017-07-08, 11:16 AM
So love e en affects the gods' good judgment, good to know.

Sex...the steadiest motive in deity stories.

littlebum2002
2017-07-08, 11:21 AM
I rarely criticize the writing in the strip (in fact i don't think I've ever done it before) but this really stuck it like a sore thumb to me

:roy: I don't remember how Thrym voted but i remember his reasoning

It seems weird he'd remember one but not the other

Ruck
2017-07-08, 11:26 AM
By voting in Indiana?

Minor correction to zimmerwald's post; the book is called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory; the Gene Wilder film is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

PH7
2017-07-08, 11:30 AM
There WAS a chalkboard indeed. Great callback to the first OotS strip I ever read. Good times. 'Member fighting CR 2 creatures? :smallsmile:

ORione
2017-07-08, 11:32 AM
I rarely criticize the writing in the strip (in fact i don't think I've ever done it before) but this really stuck it like a sore thumb to me

Maybe he remembers the vote, but isn't sure he's attached the right name to it. Like, was it Thrym who said his reasons are his own, or Surtur?

Anyways, at first I thought his fuzzy memory was due to the old not-paying-attention-to-NPCs thing. Which seemed weird, since A.) he's moving past that and B.) the fate of the world was at stake. But then I realized he was distracted by his attempts to destroy Greg. That hadn't been a problem during the main deities' vote.

Keltest
2017-07-08, 11:44 AM

I think youre misreading the strip. Roy does remember how Thrym voted, and thrym was less than forthcoming with his reasoning.

goodpeople25
2017-07-08, 11:48 AM
In surprised nobody speculated this like they tried with the Laurin-Tarkin favor.
Totally different circumstances. 1 Laurin dosen't look almost dead. 2 Tarquin isn't blue and would still look like Elan if he was. 3 Thyrm was the one who had the mysterious reason, there are infinite possibilities for motive for him. Now with Laurin or Hel (continue as needed) on the other hand we all know there is only one real motive.

But putting that point aside, (hopefully I didn't mess that up, out of my comfort zone and I'm a little rushed) yeah I am a bit surprised I haven't seen any speculation on this. (The previous hardly appiles to everything)

Quebbster
2017-07-08, 11:48 AM
Thrym said "My reasons are my own." Surtur said "It's no Ragnarok, but it will do."
It's not that strange Roy remembers Thrym didn't specify why he voted the way he did without remembering if he voted yes or no.

Kish
2017-07-08, 11:50 AM
It appears in the book Charlie and the Chocolate factory, with the same name, Everlasting Gobstopper. But there, it's just one of the magical candies Willy Wonka shows the children, not the plot device it is in the movie.

Mandor
2017-07-08, 11:53 AM
Huh. So Thrym goes for the freaky goth chicks. Well, Hel's not Abby from NCIS, but I guess I can see it. :smallsmile:
Or maybe he's just going game of thrones, climbing for power.

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-07-08, 11:54 AM

No, he doesn't remember the name of the demi-god of ice giants (therefore wether this Thrym person is just the king of ice giants as Blackwing suggests, and the god is someone else up the totem pole, or they are one and the same). He does remember that the ice-giant priest voted for Hel for undisclosed reasons.

Grey Wolf

Peelee
2017-07-08, 11:55 AM
Jokes aside, I imagine that Thrym wants to be Hel's consort more for "I, as a demigod, am the consort of the head of the Northern Pantheon, and have far more power and influence" than for "yay freaky deity sex!"

Ruck
2017-07-08, 12:02 PM

Well, that's not what Roy said. Edit: I think Grey Wolf's post pretty much covers it.

King of Nowhere
2017-07-08, 12:12 PM
so much for all the "my reasons are my own" speculations :smallbiggrin:

ORione
2017-07-08, 12:23 PM
Thrym said "My reasons are my own." Surtur said "It's no Ragnarok, but it will do."

I remember that. I was saying maybe Roy didn't.

Kantaki
2017-07-08, 12:46 PM
Sold out the world for a booty call.

There are worse reasons.
Can't think of any right now, but I'm sure they exist.

I for one wish Thrym all the luck.
He and Hel would make a lovely couple.:smallbiggrin:

Wryte
2017-07-08, 01:02 PM
THERE'S the anticlimax I was waiting for! XD

Alaska Fan
2017-07-08, 01:05 PM
New comic is up.

A Willie Wonka call out? Ever lasting gob stoppers?

factotum
2017-07-08, 01:54 PM
If I remember my Norse mythology correctly, isn't Hel supposed to be a corpse from the waist down? Makes Thrym's interest in being her consort a bit creepy... :smalleek:

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-07-08, 01:57 PM
If I remember my Norse mythology correctly

These are not Nordic mythology deities. They are not even the D&D deities of the same name.

GW

runeghost
2017-07-08, 01:57 PM
Man, sure Hel is the main threat at this moment for the Order, I'm waiting what her next move will be.

It's not something I'd thought of before, but it just clicked on reading your post.

Hel is going to die. To the Snarl. Probably around the end of this book. There's going to be another book after this one. I suspect the Snarl is going to be loose for that last book (part of which may take place on the Snarl's world and/or on other planes). And, as you pointed out, Hel IS the main threat to the Order right now. And the Snarl is a way they can (indirectly) defeat her for real. More gods may die before the comic is done, but I predict Hel is going to bite the really big one.

Draconi Redfir
2017-07-08, 02:01 PM
Jokes aside, I imagine that Thrym wants to be Hel's consort more for "I, as a demigod, am the consort of the head of the Northern Pantheon, and have far more power and influence" than for "yay freaky deity sex!"

why not both?:smalltongue:

Psyren
2017-07-08, 02:05 PM
If I remember my Norse mythology correctly, isn't Hel supposed to be a corpse from the waist down? Makes Thrym's interest in being her consort a bit creepy... :smalleek:

These are gods we're talking about though. I'm pretty sure she could slip into something more... accommodating on reward-nights. The Urgathoa look is just what she happens to prefer as a default.

ChillerInstinct
2017-07-08, 02:24 PM
I get the feeling that if Frostie finds out that THIS is what she was fighting for, she will not be pleased. :P

I wasn't expecting Thrym's reasons to be outed this early, but I guess that wraps up this encounter with a tidy bow. I do question if we'll ever see Frostie again, unless she decides to chase the Mechane to regain her honour, though.

pendell
2017-07-08, 02:33 PM
*Spits all over his keyboard*

That last panel .... BWAHAHAHAHAHAAH! Love it ! Poor needy Thrym. And good on Hel putting him in his place. Even if she is a villain she still has a certain panache. Seems a trademark of Rich Burlew villains, one reason I keep coming back.

I gotta say I am seriously loving the humor of the last five strips or so. That's not any cut at Rich's previous strips, it's just a recognition that stories have a rhythm. Funny stories have dramatic moments, tragedies have comic relief. Fighting for their lives on an airship leaves precious few opportunities for humor. Now that the pressure's off, the humor is more obvious.

Love it!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Lord Of Mantas
2017-07-08, 02:34 PM
Ah, the power of hormones. *shakes head*

pendell
2017-07-08, 02:39 PM
Ah, the power of hormones. *shakes head*

Waitaminute -- they're gods, aren't they? As in, no physical bodies? As in, no nasty chemicals running through meatsack bodies giving them a powerful reproductive urge? So where would sexual desire come from?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Lord Of Mantas
2017-07-08, 02:51 PM
Well, given that the Greek sorry, the gods of the East were notoriously prone to consorting with mortals, there's got to be SOMETHING going on there. Biology and divinity make funny bedmates.

(Look up the myth of Leda for a particularly fun time in this regard.)

Bedinsis
2017-07-08, 03:04 PM
Ah, the hypocrisy is growing in Roy. In the same strip he misremembers the circumstances of an enemy (Thrym) he is excited on the prospect of an enemy remembering him.

Or maybe "arrogance" is the right word.

Looking back at strip #1012 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1012.html) makes me wonder if Surtur might also make an appearance. It would be fitting, since first they fight frost giants and later fire giants.

Riftwolf
2017-07-08, 03:06 PM
Its always nice when a small number of words cover a lot of important plot details...

Reasons are his own indeed.

Looking back at strip #1012 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1012.html) makes me wonder if Surtur might also make an appearance. It would be fitting, since first they fight frost giants and later fire giants.

Doubt it. Surtr doesn't have any personal connection to Hel that we know of. His reason given was pretty non committal; given the choice he'd prefer Ragnarok, and he's making do with the Godsmoot verdict.

hamishspence
2017-07-08, 03:16 PM
If I remember my Norse mythology correctly, isn't Hel supposed to be a corpse from the waist down?

In most D&D depictions (and in the Magnus Chase series), one half of her is corpse - but the split is vertical rather than horizontal. In short, she looks like Two-Face from Batman.

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-07-08, 03:31 PM
Ah, the hypocrisy is growing in Roy. In the same strip he misremembers the circumstances of an enemy (Thrym) he is excited on the prospect of an enemy remembering him.

Or maybe Roy didn't know he was going to be an antagonist, and was busy at the time, so not managing to remember the guy's name after a single non-encounter is not in the same plane as Xykon forgetting the guy who destroyed his body and set back his plan significantly.

TL;DR: Roy is neither hypocritical nor arrogant for failing to remember the name of one of many, many gods and demi-gods voting for destruction.

GW

Lathund
2017-07-08, 04:15 PM
Great story progression. But what I liked more are the various references to earlier strips, such as the chalk board remark.

Christopher K.
2017-07-08, 04:39 PM
Oddly enough, I'm mainly happy to see the Order all together again, especially after nearly every fight since.. what, the Sandworm in the last book, they've been separated to some degree.

PH7
2017-07-08, 04:47 PM
I also love how the overlapping godly auras turn into a brighter shade of yellow. I wonder if the sight of two or more gods engaging in carnal acts is just a bright yellow flash...

...aaand now I can't look at the sun in the same way I used to.

Morquard
2017-07-08, 04:49 PM
Hel is going to die. To the Snarl. Probably around the end of this book. There's going to be another book after this one. I suspect the Snarl is going to be loose for that last book (part of which may take place on the Snarl's world and/or on other planes). And, as you pointed out, Hel IS the main threat to the Order right now. And the Snarl is a way they can (indirectly) defeat her for real. More gods may die before the comic is done, but I predict Hel is going to bite the really big one.
Not sure why spoiler, but fine...
Unlikely. If the Snarl actually gets lose the gods won't be voting anymore if they should destroy the world even though one gate is still holding. They'll destroy the world to imprison him again.

Cicciograna
2017-07-08, 05:00 PM
Thrym got GODZONED.

GloatingSwine
2017-07-08, 05:00 PM
I do question if we'll ever see Frostie again, unless she decides to chase the Mechane to regain her honour, though.

I wouldn't bet on it beyond maybe a one off "Where are they now?" when there's room for a breather.

Psyren
2017-07-08, 05:05 PM
Its always nice when a small number of words cover a lot of important plot details...

Reasons are his own indeed.

Doubt it. Surtr doesn't have any personal connection to Hel that we know of. His reason given was pretty non committal; given the choice he'd prefer Ragnarok, and he's making do with the Godsmoot verdict.

In addition, they're heading practically for the north pole. I doubt a lot of fire giants would be keen on going there, even for Surtur.

Kish
2017-07-08, 05:06 PM
Or maybe Roy didn't know he was going to be an antagonist, and was busy at the time, so not managing to remember the guy's name after a single non-encounter is not in the same plane as Xykon forgetting the guy who destroyed his body and set back his plan significantly.

TL;DR: Roy is neither hypocritical nor arrogant for failing to remember the name of one of many, many gods and demi-gods voting for destruction.

GW
I'd just like to point out that "I wasn't really paying attention by the time the demigods voted" should be read as "I was trying to get my sword far enough through the anti-life shell to hit Greg, and only looked up when Hel yelled 'Damn you!'"

KillingAScarab
2017-07-08, 05:14 PM
The day that someone warms up to Thrym will be the day that Hel freezes over.

Psyren
2017-07-08, 05:17 PM
These are not Nordic mythology deities. They are not even the D&D deities of the same name.

GW

Well yes, but clearly they have a number of things in common with the mythological portrayals. Lacking any other data source save the comic and Word of Giant, it's as good a starting point as any.

(We also don't actually know what's under her dress - not that we're ever likely to.)

Waitaminute -- they're gods, aren't they? As in, no physical bodies? As in, no nasty chemicals running through meatsack bodies giving them a powerful reproductive urge? So where would sexual desire come from?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZbOPWjcbHM

Also, what Lord of Mantas said, though the biggest divine offendors in that regard (the Greek pantheon) got Snarled.

Kantaki
2017-07-08, 05:21 PM
Heh. Thrym looks like a husband/boyfriend who has really messed up and now awaits the inevitable chewing out.:smallbiggrin:

I guess that is only half right.
Although Thrym certainly wishes it wasn't.:smallamused:

ORione
2017-07-08, 05:32 PM
(We also don't actually know what's under her dress - not that we're ever likely to.)

And now, neither is Thrym.

JoeyTheNeko
2017-07-08, 05:39 PM
haha lol that last panel was classic. it got me rolling.

Gwynfrid
2017-07-08, 05:54 PM
Great strip! For humor purposes, nobody beats the Order interacting with each other. I realize had been missing them for the past couple dozen strips.

schmunzel
2017-07-08, 05:54 PM

Why on earth would that be hypocrisy or arrogance?

Psyren
2017-07-08, 05:57 PM
Great strip! For humor purposes, nobody beats the Order interacting with each other. I realize had been missing them for the past couple dozen strips.

"Nope. Still weird" had me howling :smallbiggrin:

And now, neither is Thrym.

Zing!

schmunzel
2017-07-08, 05:57 PM
Not sure why spoiler, but fine...
Unlikely. If the Snarl actually gets lose the gods won't be voting anymore if they should destroy the world even though one gate is still holding. They'll destroy the world to imprison him again.

thats why the setting is changed then :)

B. Dandelion
2017-07-08, 06:17 PM
I love it when the comic makes me literally laugh out loud. That was just such a perfect payoff to the Thrym subplot. Thanks, Giant.

Anyone else getting a bit of a "it's time to switch scenes" vibe from this one? Like now might be a good time to check back in with Durkon and Greg.

(Also, don't worry, Roy, there is at least one other major villain who also remembers your name (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0901.html), even though there's been no indication you know his.)

ORione
2017-07-08, 07:11 PM
(Also, don't worry, Roy, there is at least one other major villain who also remembers your name (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0901.html), even though there's been no indication you know his.)

To be fair, few people in his world or ours know Redcloak's real name.

Kantaki
2017-07-08, 07:28 PM

That is a serious understatement.
One or two people tops aren't few.
That's almost no one.
Assuming it's even that many.
I mean who even knows Reddy's name at this point?
He and maybe the Giant, assuming he thought about this beyond „Redcloak is a title/alias”.
And I'm not sure Redcloak himself still knows who he once was.
It has been a long time since someone last called him by his name after all.
Quite possible he choose to forgot it. Especially after what happened during the fight against Dorukan.

B. Dandelion
2017-07-08, 07:38 PM
It's not odd that Roy doesn't know a name that hasn't even been revealed to the audience. But it is kind of odd (and maybe slightly amusingly hypocritical in this scene) that he has yet to even use the pseudonym, which isn't exactly a tongue-twister or difficult to remember.

Unoriginal
2017-07-08, 07:38 PM

One could argue that his real name is Redcloak, now. Not his original one, sure, but original doesn't mean real

danielxcutter
2017-07-08, 08:14 PM
Birth name =/= real name, in this case. I think Redcloak identifies himself with his current name now, not his old one.

Keltest
2017-07-08, 08:29 PM
It's not odd that Roy doesn't know a name that hasn't even been revealed to the audience. But it is kind of odd (and maybe slightly amusingly hypocritical in this scene) that he has yet to even use the pseudonym, which isn't exactly a tongue-twister or difficult to remember.

I don't believe that Roy has ever directly interacted with Redcloak. Roy knows he exists, but the significance he, personally, has to Xykon is probably unknown unless O-chul specifically filled him in on it.

JumboWheat01
2017-07-08, 08:37 PM
I'm pretty sure there's some setting or another where "stabbing them in the face" is a perfectly acceptable way of beating a god (and becoming one.)

And technically, since Belkar is a Sexy, Shoeless God of War, wouldn't that be more of a way of saying "hello" instead? :smalltongue:

Matt620
2017-07-08, 08:42 PM
Ah, I feel like it's finally a return to form. It reminds me of those old adventure game tropes where the payoff is something kinda random and anti-climatic, but it's still kinda funny.

Coupled with the slight meta-humor on Hel's motivations and acknowledgments of her disadvantages, this feels like we're getting back into what this comic should be about: A self-aware story that tells an interesting tale, but being afraid to poke fun at itself.

wesleytj
2017-07-08, 08:50 PM
Was it just me, or did anybody else's mind immediately go to Limp Bizkit after that last panel?

He did it all for the nookie, come on, the nookie, come on!

ti'esar
2017-07-08, 08:59 PM
Anyone else getting a bit of a "it's time to switch scenes" vibe from this one? Like now might be a good time to check back in with Durkon and Greg.

This does feel like a chapter wrap-up, yeah.

dtilque
2017-07-08, 09:42 PM
I also love how the overlapping godly auras turn into a brighter shade of yellow. I wonder if the sight of two or more gods engaging in carnal acts is just a bright yellow flash...

The yellow auras are there only because of the spells that let them vote (I'm not sure if those are Summon Proxy or another spell). Normally the gods don't have the auras.

B. Dandelion
2017-07-08, 09:51 PM
I don't believe that Roy has ever directly interacted with Redcloak. Roy knows he exists, but the significance he, personally, has to Xykon is probably unknown unless O-chul specifically filled him in on it.

He hasn't spoken to Redcloak, no. He did take a disintegrate ray to the face from the guy before being nearly killed by the 9th-level summoned monster Redcloak specifically aimed at Roy, where he was saved only by Haley's quick thinking. It wouldn't be particularly outrageous for that to have left some kind of impact.

As it is, I really get the sense it's being built up as intentional irony that Roy is infuriated by Xykon never remembering him, while Roy himself seems to almost entirely overlook Redcloak, who definitely does remember Roy and considers him a threat to his plans. Oh, and there's that little thing where Redcloak is lying to and manipulating the person Roy believes is the real threat. It definitely feels intentional to me, and it also feels like the kind of thing that is probably going to get Roy in a lot of trouble.

danielxcutter
2017-07-08, 09:53 PM
He hasn't spoken to Redcloak, no. He did take a disintegrate ray to the face from the guy before being nearly killed by the 9th-level summoned monster Redcloak specifically aimed at Roy, where he was saved only by Haley's quick thinking. It wouldn't be particularly outrageous for that to have left some kind of impact.

As it is, I really get the sense it's being built up as intentional irony that Roy is infuriated by Xykon never remembering him, while Roy himself seems to almost entirely overlook Redcloak, who definitely does remember Roy and considers him a threat to his plans. Oh, and there's that little thing where Redcloak is lying to and manipulating the person Roy believes is the real threat. It definitely feels intentional to me, and it also feels like the kind of thing that is probably going to get Roy in a lot of trouble.

You know, I'm pretty sure only the Dark One and Redcloak himself know the extents of his danger. That's going to bite a lot of people in the butt later, I bet.

AchtungNight
2017-07-08, 10:12 PM
Even Redcloak's family might agree his name is Redcloak now. If you've read Start of Darkness anyway. :)

And Thrym, the Order helped you dodge a serious bullet, considering what's mythologically under Hel's skirt.

Lord Of Mantas
2017-07-08, 10:37 PM
You know, I'm pretty sure only the Dark One and Redcloak himself know the extents of his danger. That's going to bite a lot of people in the butt later, I bet.
My personal prediction for the end of the comic is that the gang is going to get all geared up for a final fight against Xykon, then stop him just after the gate ritual is complete - only for Redcloak to step up, reveal himself as the main villain of the comic, and then proceed to mop the floor with them before they manage to turn things around at the last second and pull a win by the skin of their teeth.

danielxcutter
2017-07-08, 10:41 PM
My personal prediction for the end of the comic is that the gang is going to get all geared up for a final fight against Xykon, then stop him just after the gate ritual is complete - only for Redcloak to step up, reveal himself as the main villain of the comic, and then proceed to mop the floor with them before they manage to turn things around at the last second and pull a win by the skin of their teeth.

Quite possible, I think.

ORione
2017-07-08, 10:46 PM

Jirix knows about it (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0704.html). Maybe more among the Dark One's clergy know about it.

Matt620
2017-07-09, 12:07 AM

I know what you mean, but I hope you are wrong. Xykon is more interesting that Redcloak is, mostly because Xykon is an unapologetic villain. He might be one-dimensional, but he's entertaining and refreshing. When I see (in Xykon's words) some of that "evil, but for a good cause crap", it has to be a good enough reason, and Redcloak's just doesn't pass muster. His self-righteous talk with Miko in the watchtower made him utterly unlikable (I know the Giant intended for it to be hypocritical, but I think he succeeded too much.)

danielxcutter
2017-07-09, 12:15 AM
I know what you mean, but I hope you are wrong. Xykon is more interesting that Redcloak is, mostly because Xykon is an unapologetic villain. He might be one-dimensional, but he's entertaining and refreshing. When I see (in Xykon's words) some of that "evil, but for a good cause crap", it has to be a good enough reason, and Redcloak's just doesn't pass muster. His self-righteous talk with Miko in the watchtower made him utterly unlikable (I know the Giant intended for it to be hypocritical, but I think he succeeded too much.)

Personally I prefer Redcloak. Xykon's cool and funny, but Redcloak's a more complex character, and one I can understand better.

I'm fine with you not thinking so, of course. Everyone to their own tastes.

Basement Cat
2017-07-09, 01:06 AM
Poor Thrym! The Frost Giant god clearly has a god-sized case of blue balls. :smallbiggrin:

Um, that's not too dirty for this forum, is it?

WindStruck
2017-07-09, 01:19 AM

BTW, here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0145.html)'s the chalkboard thing Elan was talking about, in case anyone wants to see it again.

Huh. You would think it would be Elan who knows each group only gets one random encounter, and he has to teach everyone else this.

Manty5
2017-07-09, 02:17 AM
When Rich said he was cutting back on the sexism, I didn't expect him to merely reverse polarity on it.

First it's awkward "Frost Giant society intimidates women" and now stereotyped-male pathetic impotent friendzoned frost-giant demigods.

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-07-09, 02:36 AM
First it's awkward "Frost Giant society intimidates women"
It wasn't awkward.

now stereotyped-male pathetic impotent friendzoned frost-giant demigods.
That is not sexist. Nor friendzoned.

(This post purposely as argumented as the post it is answering)

GW

B. Dandelion
2017-07-09, 02:39 AM
When Rich said he was cutting back on the sexism, I didn't expect him to merely reverse polarity on it.

First it's awkward "Frost Giant society intimidates women" and now stereotyped-male pathetic impotent friendzoned frost-giant demigods.

Thanks, we haven't seen nearly enough threads get obnoxiously derailed into this exact argument yet. To the point that a barrage of terrible ice puns (is there another kind?) actually improved the overall conversation once. I'm still wrapping my brain around that one.

Draconi Redfir
2017-07-09, 02:51 AM
to be fair, we've seen exactly one joke for each case. i REALLY don't think that's cause for alarm. anyone should be able to handle at least one joke about themselves, said jokes weren't even generalizing. the giantess didn't say "this is the case for all female giants" and Thrym didn't say "this is the case for all male gods." they are both individual cases, so being upset at them really isn't called for either way.

Cazero
2017-07-09, 03:00 AM

Mocking a specific character is not the same as mocking 50% of the world population. Crystal's stupidity was made fun of in-comic when she was in the spotlight, and it wasn't sexist in the slightest. But now that the target stereotype of a character is biologicaly male, you have a problem with it and decide to call it sexist. That's called an unfair double standard, exactly what sexism is all about and what the Giant is trying to stop.

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-07-09, 03:02 AM
i REALLY don't think that's cause for alarm.

As I said above, they can't be cause for alarm, because those aren't "reverse polarity" sexist to start with, individual case or not. The giantess' case is practically a historical fact for every society on Earth since the agricultural revolution. It is not more a "reverse polarity sexism" than showing that the society is stratified between nobles and peasants (but, as B. Dandelion points out, we had this discussion already). The current joke is even less sexist, in every way, to the point I can't even guess what they think their argument might be - I suspect it requires quite inventive "definitions" of sexism, reverse polarity, friendzone, stereotype, impotent, pathetic and possibly even male, to the point were I suspect this recent xkcd joke might be the only appropriate answer:

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/communicating.png
(link (https://xkcd.com/1860/))

Grey Wolf

Unoriginal
2017-07-09, 04:20 AM

Should be noted that Roy's dream-illusion in the pyramid did include Redcloak being one-shot by V.

Well, it was partially Haley's and Elan's dream too, but I think Roy's influence on how the dream final battle would go was stronger.

Manty5
2017-07-09, 04:55 AM
said jokes weren't even generalizing. the giantess didn't say "this is the case for all female giants"

Actually, doing a "lean in, sister!" MAKES it about generalizing.

My apologies for a bit of deception. You see, I don't actually think Rich has done much of anything wrong. It's the forum commenters who are wholesale popping off about supposed thoughtcrime when a female is the butt of a joke but are right here, right now making sexist comments without a care in the world.

For example: Grey_Wolf_c: "because those aren't "reverse polarity" sexist to start with"

You see, for him, as long as the RIGHT sex is targeted, there is no sexism. That's the kind of mindset that grows like a weed here.

wesleytj: "He did it all for the nookie, come on, the nookie, come on!"

Reverse the genders, and I doubt this guy would even be allowed to comment here anymore.

Add to that the friendzone comments (which I did not invent, but rather someone else in the thread said), the blue balls jokes, et cetera and we have a WHOLE lot of people who shouldn't be throwing stones at Rich because they're even worse, but pretend that since they yuk it up about the RIGHT sex, they're immune to criticism.

EDIT: And let's not forget about the use of the slur "creepy" being used.

Unoriginal
2017-07-09, 05:04 AM

So portraying an evil society as sexist is sexist toward males, and a god getting told that the marriage-as-alliance a goddess agreed to is no longer on the table is sexist toward males too?

I'm guessing that Redcloak killing Tsukiko because she was becoming a threat to his position is also sexist toward males? Oh, and Bozzok turning Crystal into a puppet, exploiting her body against her will, is sexist toward males, as well?

friendzoned

That implies that Hel consider the frost giant god a friend. It's clearly not the case.

I'm sure the Third Doctor would be thrilled to see his catchphrase used like that

My apologies for a bit of deception. You see, I don't actually think Rich has done much of anything wrong. It's the forum commenters who are wholesale popping off about supposed thoughtcrime when a female is the butt of a joke but are right here, right now making sexist comments without a care in the world.

Ah, yes, it was all a clever ruse to say that Rich was now sexist toward men.

Reverse the genders, and I doubt this guy would even be allowed to comment here anymore.

Given that we have a female character who literally offered herself as a prize in exchange for a man's cooperation with her political agenda, I don't see how that'd be the case.

Add to that the friendzone comments (which I did not invent, but rather someone else in the thread said), the blue balls jokes, et cetera and we have a WHOLE lot of people who shouldn't be throwing stones at Rich because they're even worse, but pretend that since they yuk it up about the RIGHT sex, they're immune to criticism.

So you threw stones at the Giant, calling him sexist, because you think some of the forum people are sexists and that they shouldn't throw stones at the Giant.

That's certainly an interesting way of doing things.

EDIT: And let's not forget about the use of the slur "creepy" being used.

Creepy is not a slur. And I don't see what's supposed to be sexist about using the word "creepy", I'm sure that a number of forum users thought that Tsukiko was creepy for desiring to have sex with undead beings/wanting to marry her undead boss as his favorite underling.

Manty5
2017-07-09, 05:20 AM
Unoriginal: Just about every point you've attempted to make has one or more serious flaws, I am not going to waste time going over each and every one.

But to answer your skepticism, past lurking on these forums suggested that I'd be getting a whole lot more replies like Grey_Wolf_c's, which I then used. So if you claim that you doubt I meant to do something that I just provably did, then I can't help you.

But I just can't go without noting that you should probably understand the word "friendzoned" before attempting to correct others on their usage of it, and that since I already mentioned that I wasn't the one who used it originally, that replying that MY use of it is wrong is positivly Elanlike in its blissful ignorance.

Unoriginal
2017-07-09, 05:38 AM
Unoriginal: Just about every point you've attempted to make has one or more serious flaws, I am not going to waste time going over each and every one.

So you don't want to discuss this subject again.

So if you claim that you doubt I meant to something that I just provably did, then I can't help you.

If you can prove it, then prove it. I don't consider that you've proved anything, and frankly even if you did mean what you said you mean I would be hard pressed to consider it a good way to express it.

But I just can't go without noting that you should probably understand the word "friendzoned" before attempting to correct others on their usage of it, and that since I already mentioned that I wasn't the one who used it originally, that replying that MY use of it is wrong is positivly Elanlike in its blissful ignorance.

I understand the term "friendzoned", thank you very much. It's a term that appeared to mean " X person (usallly a girl) who Y person has romantic feeling for want to stay friend instead of entering a romantic relationship with Y person ", which then devolved into "X doesn't want to have anything to do with Y despite Y desiring a romantic or at least physical relationship".

If you were using it ironically to mock Elanlike's use of it, then you should probably have made it clearer rather than criticizing the Giant for it.

StClair
2017-07-09, 05:38 AM
"So, uh, I'll put that down as a 'maybe'?"

KorvinStarmast
2017-07-09, 06:52 AM
Sold out the world for a booty call. Or power, but claiming it was for a booty call is funnier. Helen of Troy and Paris; it's been done. But I enjoyed the last strip.

The kick-a$$ Frost Giant warrior who almost killed Roy is going to be darn disappointed when she meets her 'maker'. 'I died for this guy? Arrgggghhh!' REM had a song called "losing my religion" that might get played during that scene.

Jokes aside, I imagine that Thrym wants to be Hel's consort more for "I, as a demigod, am the consort of the head of the Northern Pantheon, and have far more power and influence" than for "yay freaky deity sex!" Or both.

The day that someone warms up to Thrym will be the day that Hel freezes over. Under?

Belkar's trash talking makes me think of the following old adage:
Pride goeth before the fall

Perhaps his doom is closer than he imagines.

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-07-09, 07:03 AM
For example: Grey_Wolf_c: "because those aren't "reverse polarity" sexist to start with"

You see, for him, as long as the RIGHT sex is targeted, there is no sexism. That's the kind of mindset that grows like a weed here.
Or, possibly, you have no idea what sexism is and can't recognise it, and all you have is saying the same thing louder, as if by sheer repetition of it it will become true. However, it doesn't, except possibly inside your own head.

To spell it out for you: the giantess was demonstrating that in OotSverse there is one frost giant tribe engaging in "glass ceiling" sexism. Not "reverse polarity" sexism, nor is the comic itself sexist. It is just adding a bit of world-building by stating that that particular tribe is not egalitarian. The fact that you are offended by this world-building and choose to project that onto everyone that disagrees with your moral offence only says things about your mindset, not the rest of the forum members.

Today's comic is also not sexist. Two adults engaging in a tit-for-tat alliance involving a marriage failed when the lesser party failed to deliver in their half of the arrangement. Yes, Thrym was pathetic in that he believed he might still get his reward, but as is to be expected, no-one rewards you for failure. The joke of course is that this kind of arrangement is as old as time and not particularly deep, in comparison to Roy's expectation of nebulous, many-layered plots-within-plots. It has been done both with this arrangement and its opposite (female underling fails to deliver to the evil overlord - see Tsukiko) more times than I care to count and I may have even seen it done once or twice with same-sex arrangements. Again, the issue here is that is only sexist to your mindset.

Finally, it is very telling that you had to immediately accuse me and others of sexism - since you seemingly cannot substantiate your original claim that the comic is "reverse polarity sexist", you had to engage in ad-hominems against everyone else.

You are actually claiming that, were you a mod, you'd ban someone for that. I can only direct you at this point to the forum rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1).

Add to that the friendzone comments (which I did not invent, but rather someone else in the thread said), the blue balls jokes, et cetera
No, you just characterise them as sexist... which they are not. Against either sex.

we have a WHOLE lot of people who shouldn't be throwing stones at Rich because they're even worse
May I remind you that the only person that has thrown any stones at Rich is you?

Grey Wolf

Matt620
2017-07-09, 07:06 AM
I don't see this as sexist, and honestly, people throw the term around so much that it no longer means anything.

I knew this one woman writer who wrote a story in which the widowed and well-courted queen in a precarious situation for her people decided to randomly sleep with some dude, and now she's complaining that if it gets out, people would invade her, and she explicitly blamed the man. When I pointed out that the woman was to blame as well, she called it misogyny.

The word, just as misandry, has no meaning.

I will, however, say it wasn't all that funny. That's what I meant by adventure game buildup, a lot of old games like that had gags where something important would turn out to be stupid.

Unoriginal
2017-07-09, 07:29 AM
I knew this one woman writer who wrote a story in which the widowed and well-courted queen in a precarious situation for her people decided to randomly sleep with some dude, and now she's complaining that if it gets out, people would invade her, and she explicitly blamed the man. When I pointed out that the woman was to blame as well, she called it misogyny.

I'm confused. The writer blamed the man? Or the character in-story is doing it?

Personally I would say that the only person to blame here is the people who want to use the queen sleeping with someone as an excuse to invade a country, but the queen blaming her lover would be believable, if completely unfair: after all, people often unjustly blame anyone but themselves when they do something risky and end up regretting it, especially when they're under a lot of stress.

IMO this makes me think of "The Duchess of Malfi".

The word, just as misandry, has no meaning.

It's not because people butcher the meaning that it has no meaning.

I will, however, say it wasn't all that funny. That's what I meant by adventure game buildup, a lot of old games like that had gags where something important would turn out to be stupid.

I found that chuckle-worthy, personally. I at least didn't see it coming.

Though I was even more surprised to learn some people guessed that Laurin's favor would be anything similar to that with Tarquin. I've always got the impression Laurin would never want to do anything with Tarquin on that field, ever, and maybe even would be disgusted at the suggestion.

Matt620
2017-07-09, 07:37 AM
I'm confused. The writer blamed the man? Or the character in-story is doing it?

Personally I would say that the only person to blame here is the people who want to use the queen sleeping with someone as an excuse to invade a country, but the queen blaming her lover would be believable, if completely unfair: after all, people often unjustly blame anyone but themselves when they do something risky and end up regretting it, especially when they're under a lot of stress.

IMO this makes me think of "The Duchess of Malfi".

It's not because people butcher the meaning that it has no meaning.

I found that chuckle-worthy, personally. I at least didn't see it coming.

Though I was even more surprised to learn some people guessed that Laurin's favor would be anything similar to that with Tarquin. I've always got the impression Laurin would never want to do anything with Tarquin on that field, ever, and maybe even would be disgusted at the suggestion.

Both of them. I agree, it would make sense that the queen would blame someone else: Few people blame themselves. The writer herself, when questioned about it, explicitly blamed the man. Part of the reason she no longer is part of the group is because she kept going after people personally (the other part was that she was a rubbish writer)

Given when the story took place (Early Iron Age), that sort of thing happened all the time.

drazen
2017-07-09, 08:32 AM
Poor Thrym! The Frost Giant god clearly has a god-sized case of blue balls. :smallbiggrin:

Um, that's not too dirty for this forum, is it?

Well, he is only a demigod. So maybe only one blue ball?

As far as sexism, I don't see much. I did feel like Furkini's grievance comment was abrupt and out of place with no buildup, compared to other villains' motivations being revealed. It just wasn't organic commentary (also, she was annoyed at Roy for killing her inferior colleague, which made the comment stick out like a sore thumb). Perhaps that is just a functon of Furkini being a minor antagonist. Still, I think that better writing could have made her point without it feeling shoehorned in. Maybe there will be a bonus strip showing her talking with the two male frost giants before the attack, showing them being subtly sexist towards her. Then I'd think it would feel more fluid to me in the story (though I still think it could have been subtler on her part). It is to the detriment of good stories that writers these days seem pressured to be a bit heavy handed about certain social commentary. The first rule in writing class was show, don't tell; or at least, show first, explain later.

Also, Furkini thought she was more clever and competent than all of her male colleagues, yet did not pay heed to the cleverness of the (female) Captain Bandana, who was in charge of the ship! Perhaps a subtle jab about those who are so wrapped up in their own ideology/perspective that they overlook things?

Shining Wrath
2017-07-09, 08:33 AM
Oh, Thrym, you are such a loser. And bald without his ceremonial crown, too.

Now, the question is, will Hel take Belkar's insults personally? We do have a clock running on Death's Little Helper and his "last breath", and Hel is ... Death, in some senses.

Peelee
2017-07-09, 09:56 AM

Let's test your theory out, shall we?

Sabine reminds me of that Limp Bizkit song.

"She did it all for the nookie, come on, the nookie, come on!"

According to you, I should be banned or scrubbed fairly quickly. Now, I believe either nothing will happen at all (since no forum rules have been broken or even bent), or we'll both be scrubbed/banned for quoting Limp Bizkit, which I think is the real crime here.

Let's see who's right, hmm?

Jaxzan Proditor
2017-07-09, 10:12 AM
Really, if we want to be referencing song lyrics, we should stick with the Rolling Stones theme and say that (Thrym Can't Get No) Satisfaction.

Nawaki
2017-07-09, 10:37 AM
You know...I'm an English teacher (how sad is that) and I still don't understand V. half of the times...

Cazero
2017-07-09, 10:44 AM
Let's test your theory out, shall we?

According to you, I should be banned or scrubbed fairly quickly. Now, I believe either nothing will happen at all (since no forum rules have been broken or even bent), or we'll both be scrubbed/banned for quoting Limp Bizkit, which I think is the real crime here.

Let's see who's right, hmm?
False equivalence ! Sabine barely did anything for the nookie, whatever that means, because she could have some with no effort.
I propose applying the same example with Jenny (final panel) (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0611.html), who definitely did it all for the nookie (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0622.html), come on (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0648.html).

Kish
2017-07-09, 11:22 AM
A number of people thought Laurin's favor was going to be sex with Tarquin or her daughter marrying Tarquin.

It's nothing like the current situation because the only justification for it was, apparently (or in at least one Argallish case, explicitly) that something a woman wanted just had to be about sex. A demigod getting a promotion to consort to the head of the pantheon is something the demigod has an obvious reason to want; the fact that Thrym's followers are established as sexist, and as obeying him directly enough that he could have told them to cut that out at any time, just makes him being humiliated more amusing.

GreatWyrmGold
2017-07-09, 11:38 AM
I don't think we should take one out-of-context interaction between this guy and Hel as indicative of his entire personality. He could very well be a badass in his own right. But in Hel's presence, he'd have to step lightly and debase himself due to her temperamental nature and immense power.
Remember—even if Thrym is a powerfully-built warrior a head taller than the almost waifish Hel, he's a demigod leading a giant subspecies and she is the god of death for everyone in the North (especially dwarves).

But then I realized [Roy] was distracted by his attempts to destroy Greg.
That does sound pretty distracting...

There are worse reasons.
Can't think of any right now, but I'm sure they exist.
Candy?

The yellow auras are there only because of the spells that let them vote (I'm not sure if those are Summon Proxy or another spell). Normally the gods don't have the auras.
Actually, they've been there since the first time a god showed up in person (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0040.html).

Thanks, we haven't seen nearly enough threads get obnoxiously derailed into this exact argument yet. To the point that a barrage of terrible ice puns (is there another kind?) actually improved the overall conversation once. I'm still wrapping my brain around that one.
Hey now, chill out. There snow need to put those puns on ice.

Quoted for truth. I've been in your place too many times to count (though rarely on this issue); if only I had the wisdom or impatience to follow in your footsteps, perhaps I would have a less-stressful life.
(Side note: Unoriginal's name is perfect for this post.)

It's nothing like the current situation because the only justification for it was, apparently (or in at least one Argallish case, explicitly) that something a woman wanted just had to be about sex.
Of course. How could two people of opposite sexes interact without having sex?
Please tell me that the sarcasm is obvious.

A demigod getting a promotion to consort to the head of the pantheon is something the demigod has an obvious reason to want; the fact that Thrym's followers are established as sexist, and as obeying him directly enough that he could have told them to cut that out at any time, just makes him being humiliated more amusing.
I wonder if he'll start hanging out in Unoriginal's chat rooms.

Unoriginal
2017-07-09, 11:45 AM
I wonder if he'll start hanging out in Unoriginal's chat rooms.

What in the Nine ****ing Hells are you talking about?

Are you trying to imply only loosers hang out in my chat rooms? That I'm a sexist jerk just like the Ice Giant God? Or just that having to talk to me is humiliating?

Kish
2017-07-09, 11:58 AM
...What was that, crypto-flaming?

Unoriginal
2017-07-09, 12:06 PM
...What was that, crypto-flaming?

I have no idea. I wish I knew, but don't know if it's a good idea to wish it.

A number of people thought Laurin's favor was going to be sex with Tarquin or her daughter marrying Tarquin.

Yes, I got that. I was just surprised people thought that.

Cazero
2017-07-09, 12:32 PM
Yes, I got that. I was just surprised people thought that.
Well, it was weird. Laurin was definitely checking out in the direction opposite to Tarquin when she said that (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0924.html). Thinking her favor would require Tarquin's physical presence rather than his permission or logistical support would be absurd.

pendell
2017-07-09, 12:57 PM
Question: In the last panel Hel is sporting some five o clock shadow around her eyes. She's been drawn that way before so it's not an art error. What's that supposed to tell us? Somehow I don't think it's that she needs sleep or coffee or both.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

georgie_leech
2017-07-09, 01:00 PM
Question: In the last panel Hel is sporting some five o clock shadow around her eyes. She's been drawn that way before so it's not an art error. What's that supposed to tell us? Somehow I don't think it's that she needs sleep or coffee or both.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

That her eyes are sunken, which isn't a terribly odd thing for a goddess of death, probably.

dtilque
2017-07-09, 01:00 PM
Re: deific auras

Actually, they've been there since the first time a god showed up in person (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0040.html).

Huh, you're right. I've never noticed them before.

Unoriginal
2017-07-09, 01:15 PM

Respectfully,

Brian P.

She's the goddess of death and disease, not exactly the kind to have flowers in her hair and bluebirds singing around her head (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html).

Kish
2017-07-09, 01:48 PM
That she's gaunt, possibly emaciated (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17055529&postcount=15).

Unoriginal
2017-07-09, 01:53 PM
That she's gaunt, possibly emaciated (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17055529&postcount=15).

Speaking of Hel when she appeared to her High Priest, was it ever explained who were those giants she had around?

goodpeople25
2017-07-09, 01:55 PM
Well, it was weird. Laurin was definitely checking out in the direction opposite to Tarquin when she said that (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0924.html). Thinking her favor would require Tarquin's physical presence rather than his permission or logistical support would be absurd.
I think I've made it pretty clear earlier on what I generally think of said "theory". But how does her looking away on it's own make it absurd? If anything I found the interpretation of the look away as "wink wink" or the like to at least be understandable.

hamishspence
2017-07-09, 01:56 PM
Speaking of Hel when she appeared to her High Priest, was it ever explained who were those giants she had around?

Undead giants maybe? That might explain the purple colour and fangs.

Cazero
2017-07-09, 02:00 PM
I think I've made it pretty clear earlier on what I generally think of said "theory". But how does her looking away on it's own make it absurd? If anything I found the interpretation of the look away as "wink wink" or the like to at least be understandable.
It's a scheming look, not a "wink wink" look. I barely have any experience with either and I can tell. Nobody has any excuse.

pendell
2017-07-09, 02:26 PM

Great catch there, Kish. Thanks.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

PH7
2017-07-09, 02:28 PM
If the cutaway joke is a signal that we're due for a change of scenery, I'd very much like a check-in with the priests at the conclave. If they ARE still in communion with their (demi-)gods, does that mean the high priest of Thrym is aware of his Lord's reasoning?
I imagine it makes for an interesting topic of conversation while they're all eating cake.

Kantaki
2017-07-09, 02:44 PM
It's a scheming look, not a "wink wink" look. I barely have any experience with either and I can tell. Nobody has any excuse.

Even without that being clear- not to mention T's annoyance in the next panel - is the idea that Laurin would want to set up her daughter- whom she loves and wants to live a good life away from the conspiracy -with Tarquin of all people is ridiculous.
And that she would start anything with him herself doesn't make much sense either.
Making him stay away would have been a more logical theory about the favour.
The frontlines of the Bloodwar are a safer place than this guy's side.

If the cutaway joke is a signal that we're due for a change of scenery, I'd very much like a check-in with the priests at the conclave. If they ARE still in communion with their (demi-)gods, does that mean the high priest of Thrym is aware of his Lord's reasoning?
I imagine it makes for an interesting topic of conversation while they're all eating cake.

:smallbiggrin:Thrym:„Wait. Is this thing still on?”
HPoT:„You know what guys? Today is a good day to start my retirement. Have a nice day.”:smallbiggrin:

martianmister
2017-07-09, 02:59 PM

https://image.ibb.co/kvwZaF/Screenshot_2017_07_09_22_54_54_1.png
This look pretty kinky to me.

pendell
2017-07-09, 03:03 PM
https://image.ibb.co/kvwZaF/Screenshot_2017_07_09_22_54_54_1.png

Laurin was probably the least sexual female in the comic, at least in terms of fanservice or wink-wink nudge-nudge. I mean, sure she's attractive and she's got a daughter so she's not a blushing virgin, but her sexuality has never been a major part of her character. Not the way Haley's has been, anyway. I think what Rich was going for in her case was "mature, well-adjusted adult who happens to be on Team Evil".

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Kish
2017-07-09, 03:05 PM
Rich explicitly said that he made a point of not "sexing up" Laurin, and it did no good at all.

Cazero
2017-07-09, 03:07 PM
Not to me. Those eyebrows have an inner gloating feel in the first panel and shout "gotcha, maggot" in the second. They're very expressive eyebrows but the haircut and hair color make them harder to notice.

martianmister
2017-07-09, 03:20 PM
Laurin was probably the least sexual female in the comic, at least in terms of fanservice or wink-wink nudge-nudge. I mean, sure she's attractive and she's got a daughter so she's not a blushing virgin, but her sexuality has never been a major part of her character.

Tarquin is the one who sexually targeted here, and he's a sexualized and attractive character.

Not to me. Those eyebrows have an inner gloating feel in the first panel and shout "gotcha, maggot" in the second. They're very expressive eyebrows but the haircut and hair color make them harder to notice.

It depends on the viewer. For some it's sexual, for other something else. Which is why it's absurd to claim that it's sexist to think that.

Kantaki
2017-07-09, 03:27 PM
Tarquin is the one who sexually targeted here, and he's a sexual and attractive character.

He also had about a dozen wifes (some of which) he explicitly forced to marry him.
And only his first (divorce) and last so far (killed by Nale) we know for sure didn't die of „natural circumstances”*.
And Laurin spent enough time with him to know that.
So no matter how high his charisma-score is why should she decide T would make a great partner for herself or her daughter- who she explicitly wants to keep away from this part of her life?

*Of course it's absolutely possible they were all sent away to spend their lifes in some elven settlement.In the Underdark.
But knowing Tarquin?
Those that didn't inevitably died in one the many regime changes he arranged were turned into fertilizer for the successors' rose gardens.

PH7
2017-07-09, 03:33 PM
:smallbiggrin:Thrym:„Wait. Is this thing still on?”
HPoT:„You know what guys? Today is a good day to start my retirement. Have a nice day.”:smallbiggrin:

I'm imagining a Smithers-esque assistant frost giant saying:
"Sir, you have to let go of the button."
Thrym: "Oh, son of a bit..." :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2017-07-09, 03:34 PM
Considering the conversation takes place on the rim of the crater (Tarquin was looking down into it before he started walking over to the Triceratops) it actually makes sense that Laurin was looking in the direction of the crater when she said that - as was commented on at the time:

Could it be that Laurin is looking at the rift while exclaiming she can get her favor cleared by the end of the day?

Also, at least one person in the Discussion Thread for that strip (924) correctly guessed "control of the Rift" at the time too.

I suspect that Lauren wants control of the rift - potentially something to let her daughter live her life "away from all of this"

Ken

Ruck
2017-07-09, 04:57 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure which I prefer: The people complaining about getting back to "the real story," the people concern-trolling Rich and the other posters on issues of representation, or the people who still insist it made perfect sense to think Laurin's favor from Tarquin would be sexual in nature.

ORione
2017-07-09, 05:31 PM
Why are we arguing about Laurin's favor? Did everyone forget that we already found out what it was (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0945.html)?

georgie_leech
2017-07-09, 06:21 PM
Why are we arguing about Laurin's favor? Did everyone forget that we already found out what it was (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0945.html)?

Honestly, arguing about whether previous OotS debates were justified is probably the closest thing to on-topic these discussion threads can get.

drazen
2017-07-09, 07:34 PM
He also had about a dozen wifes (some of which) he explicitly forced to marry him.
And only his first (divorce) and last so far (killed by Nale) we know for sure didn't die of „natural circumstances”*.
And Laurin spent enough time with him to know that.
So no matter how high his charisma-score is why should she decide T would make a great partner for herself or her daughter- who she explicitly wants to keep away from this part of her life?

*Of course it's absolutely possible they were all sent away to spend their lifes in some elven settlement.In the Underdark.
But knowing Tarquin?
Those that didn't inevitably died in one the many regime changes he arranged were turned into fertilizer for the successors' rose gardens.

Vaarsuvius killed Tarquin's wife via Familicide (V says so in#843, and it is evwn illustrated in a flashback panel). Tarquin and Nale simply suspected each other, but Tarquin seemed to catch on better than Nale did. Nale did free the next captured bride to be, but he did not kill her; he actually gave her his business card to try to recruit her into the Linear Guild.

All that said, I guess I missed the forum speculating that Laurin wanted a sexual favor from Tarquin, which sounds absurdly stupid to me. Why would anyone ever come to that conclusion? I'm baffled how that even happens.

ti'esar
2017-07-09, 08:23 PM
Honestly, arguing about whether previous OotS debates were justified is probably the closest thing to on-topic these discussion threads can get.

Man, that's sigworthy.

KorvinStarmast
2017-07-09, 09:07 PM
According to you, I should be banned or scrubbed fairly quickly. Now, I believe either nothing will happen at all (since no forum rules have been broken or even bent), or we'll both be scrubbed/banned for quoting Limp Bizkit, which I think is the real crime here. Let's see who's right, hmm? You got the wrong body part. :smallcool: Go back and use the body part that nale would provide and see if your prospects would change or not. (I am not sure, but if one is to try an equivalency, one might need to get it aligned correctly).
Banned for quoting Limp Bizkit, would be fair, though. :smallbiggrin:

Are you trying to imply only loosers hang out in my chat rooms?
That I'm a sexist jerk just like the Ice Giant God?
Or just that having to talk to me is humiliating? How have we determined that the Ice God Giant is a sexist jerk? He's got a thing for Hel; maybe he's got a crush on her. (Do people still use the term "have a crush on so-and-so" or is that me being old fashioned?)
Guys get attracted to gals for many reasons with great frequency; such attraction is not inherently sexist. (He may be sexist, a jerk, or both, but he's not had enough screen time to give us much to work with).

8BitNinja
2017-07-09, 11:32 PM
Laurin was probably the least sexual female in the comic, at least in terms of fanservice or wink-wink nudge-nudge. I mean, sure she's attractive and she's got a daughter so she's not a blushing virgin, but her sexuality has never been a major part of her character. Not the way Haley's has been, anyway. I think what Rich was going for in her case was "mature, well-adjusted adult who happens to be on Team Evil".

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Just one question.

How to we judge if a stick figure is attractive? The ones that are considered attractive and the ones considered ugly look pretty similar.

Kantaki
2017-07-09, 11:39 PM
Vaarsuvius killed Tarquin's wife via Familicide.

Right. Guess I mixed something up there. Oops.:smallredface:

Finagle
2017-07-09, 11:42 PM
I am utterly shocked. Hel is trying to whore herself out? Huh? I thought this comic had a strong sense of social justice, and now this? :smallmad: Honestly I'm tempted to report it. This is just intensely misogynistic and I don't understand how it slipped in. :smallfrown:

ORione
2017-07-10, 12:22 AM
...Report it to whom?

Rogar Demonblud
2017-07-10, 12:43 AM
The Spanish Inquisition, of course. Who would expect that?

BriarHobbit
2017-07-10, 01:05 AM
Well, the god of frost giants swung and missed. However, I expect that some of the other gods might try to interfere in the great spirit of "Order of the Stick, come out and play."

Ruck
2017-07-10, 02:03 AM
I am utterly shocked. Hel is trying to whore herself out? Huh? I thought this comic had a strong sense of social justice, and now this? :smallmad: Honestly I'm tempted to report it. This is just intensely misogynistic and I don't understand how it slipped in. :smallfrown:

Let's find out how sincere your complaints are:

The author has to keep coming up with cheap ways to cripple him, by making him lose his sword (again) or split the party (again). This in the ridiculous belief that if he was allowed to hit on all cylinders, he would utterly destroy everything in his path, Arnold Schwarzenegger in Commando style. Oh, and social justice.

Oh, no. The author went full SJW. You never go full SJW.

Huh, what do you know, first you complain about social justice, then you concern troll about it. It's so weird how the concern trolls always turn out to be full of it.

anonynos
2017-07-10, 02:19 AM
It's so weird how the concern trolls always turn out to be full of it.

I wish I could just +1 that...

ti'esar
2017-07-10, 02:57 AM
Let's find out how sincere your complaints are:

Huh, what do you know, first you complain about social justice, then you concern troll about it. It's so weird how the concern trolls always turn out to be full of it.

Did that post really strike you as sounding particularly sincere in the first place?

danielxcutter
2017-07-10, 03:01 AM
Hmm, I get that the title of this strip is a nod to Everlasting Gobstoppers from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but why? :smallconfused:

Kantaki
2017-07-10, 03:04 AM
The Spanish Inquisition, of course. Who would expect that?

At this point? Everyone.:smalltongue:

danielxcutter
2017-07-10, 03:10 AM
at this point? Everyone.:smalltongue:

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-07-10, 03:35 AM
Hmm, I get that the title of this strip is a nod to Everlasting Gobstoppers from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but why? :smallconfused:

The order cleverly blasted through the god's forces, thus stopping him.

GW

Riftwolf
2017-07-10, 04:26 AM

Oh thank God. We're out of the Tarquin phase and into the Monty Python phase.

ShadowHare
2017-07-10, 07:02 AM
New comic is up.

It's been mentioned once or twice already, but Rich may not have noticed:

There is a typo in the comic. The word "beserker" is actually spelled "berserker" with an 'r'.

War-Wren
2017-07-10, 07:30 AM
"Belkar is right."
"Nope. Still weird."
:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:
That made me laugh :smallsmile:

JumboWheat01
2017-07-10, 07:49 AM

Psh, the Spanish Inquisition is nothing these days. Now the Gnomish Inquisition, THAT you have to watch out for.

Leliel
2017-07-10, 07:58 AM
Hmm, I'm not sure which I prefer: The people complaining about getting back to "the real story," the people concern-trolling Rich and the other posters on issues of representation, or the people who still insist it made perfect sense to think Laurin's favor from Tarquin would be sexual in nature.

As poisons go, go with the first. They have a chance of being satisfied, unless they're a different kind of concern troll.

Unoriginal
2017-07-10, 07:59 AM
You got the wrong body part. :smallcool: Go back and use the body part that nale would provide and see if your prospects would change or not. (I am not sure, but if one is to try an equivalency, one might need to get it aligned correctly).

Well, we don't know which form(s) Lee, Nero and Cedrik can take, so maybe the body part is question is actually correct.

How have we determined that the Ice God Giant is a sexist jerk? He's got a thing for Hel; maybe he's got a crush on her. (Do people still use the term "have a crush on so-and-so" or is that me being old fashioned?)
Guys get attracted to gals for many reasons with great frequency; such attraction is not inherently sexist. (He may be sexist, a jerk, or both, but he's not had enough screen time to give us much to work with).

I've never implied that he was sexist because of his interaction with Hel (if anything, he seemed rather eager to have a woman get the gold as long as he got the silver). His followers are sexist, but it's true not everything a follower think and do is directed by their god, so it could simply be something he never bothered to tell them to knock off rather than something he personally enforces.

He is however a jerk, to put it ridiculously mildly, as he desires to kill millions in order to increase his power.

The reason for my statement was due to complete incomprehension of what I was insulted about, if it was even an insult.

pendell
2017-07-10, 08:12 AM
Well, we don't know which form(s) Lee, Nero and Cedrik can take, so maybe the body part is question is actually correct.

I've never implied that he was sexist because of his interaction with Hel (if anything, he seemed rather eager to have a woman get the gold as long as he got the silver). His followers are sexist, but it's true not everything a follower think and do is directed by their god, so it could simply be something he never bothered to tell them to knock off rather than something he personally enforces.

He is however a jerk, to put it ridiculously mildly, as he desires to kill millions in order to increase his power.

The reason for my statement was due to complete incomprehension of what I was insulted about, if it was even an insult.

Point of order: We know one band of Frost Giants who follow Thrym are sexist. That doesn't necesssarily mean they're typical. It could be there are other bands out there that are not sexist. We just haven't seen enough of Frost Giant society in OOTS world to know.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Keltest
2017-07-10, 08:23 AM
Point of order: We know one band of Frost Giants who follow Thrym are sexist. That doesn't necesssarily mean they're typical. It could be there are other bands out there that are not sexist. We just haven't seen enough of Frost Giant society in OOTS world to know.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Another point of order: We suspect one band of frost giants who follow Thrym are sexist. There are other possible explanations for why one warrior would need to avoid upstaging another warrior. He could, for example, be the son of the high priest/chieftain, or somebody else of importance.

ManuelSacha
2017-07-10, 08:57 AM
The amount of pre-planning and thinking ahead (and foreshadowing) in this strip comic's storylines never ceases to amaze me.

KorvinStarmast
2017-07-10, 09:12 AM
The amount of pre-planning and thinking ahead (and foreshadowing) in this strip comic's storylines never ceases to amaze me. I am under the impression that Rich has plotted out where this book and the next book are going (Just as George RR Martin has allegedly done for his Game of Thrones / World of Ice and Fire novels) and having done so then does a rough mapping out of story progress. That allows him to foreshadow effectively. But there's more to it than that, as any writer of fiction will tell you. Sometimes, as Tolkien once pointed out, the tale grows in telling. As you are writing the plot and the various threads that come together, you have an idea that makes you rework bits of the plot again. (Screen writers have a similar problem and process)

I appreciate the art involved in the story arc, but even moreso his attention to detail in execution.

GreatWyrmGold
2017-07-10, 11:01 PM
Rich explicitly said that he made a point of not "sexing up" Laurin, and it did no good at all.

All that said, I guess I missed the forum speculating that Laurin wanted a sexual favor from Tarquin, which sounds absurdly stupid to me. Why would anyone ever come to that conclusion? I'm baffled how that even happens.
Sometimes, I really hate humanity. They keep proving that they just aren't worth the effort to keep an eye on, that for every virtuous mortal eager to risk it all to lay one more brick so the tower of human progress can be that much taller there is a horde equally eager to knock those bricks off the tower to hear the noise it makes when it hits the ground, or willing to do so out of sheer apathy.
But in the end, it's still worth it. Someone's going to catch that brick and put it back in its place. The tower will climb ever higher. Humanity is beautiful, if a bit stained. That's why I'm still Good.

danielxcutter
2017-07-10, 11:18 PM
Sometimes, I really hate humanity. They keep proving that they just aren't worth the effort to keep an eye on, that for every virtuous mortal eager to risk it all to lay one more brick so the tower of human progress can be that much taller there is a horde equally eager to knock those bricks off the tower to hear the noise it makes when it hits the ground, or willing to do so out of sheer apathy.
But in the end, it's still worth it. Someone's going to catch that brick and put it back in its place. The tower will climb ever higher. Humanity is beautiful, if a bit stained. That's why I'm still Good.

Can I sig this? I really need this today...

GreatWyrmGold
2017-07-10, 11:40 PM
Can I sig this? I really need this today...
Go right ahead! I'm glad to have brightened someone's day.

Quebbster
2017-07-11, 02:40 AM
If Laurin wanted something sexual from Tarquin, I don't think she would need to call in a favor to get it. Just asking nicely would probably be sufficient. It's not like Tarquin is a gigantic prude after all...