PDA

View Full Version : Giant Badger burrow speed & You

MasterMercury
2017-07-08, 03:54 PM
I have a ranger, just reached level three. He chose the beast master, and as I gave him the options for his pet, he chose a giant badger. (Using UA Revised Ranger, not that it matters)

The giant badger is a medium sized creature with a burrow speed of 10', and the Ranger now uses the burrow speed for everything. Wall in the way? Badger burrows under it and party follows. Need to hide? Badger burrows hole in 2 rounds, party grabs a bush and hides. There are a few other examples, but that's the main of it.

Now, I'm not mad about this. I actually congratulate the player on his creativity. And it's actually a non-issue at this point because the badger was killed while holding off an army of Gnolls. What I want is the opinion of the playground. Does the burrow speed allow others to follow the badger, or is it just for itself. How big is the hole? I know the purple worm stats explicitly state it makes a tunnel, but do other creatures with burrow speed do it?

Lombra
2017-07-08, 04:18 PM
I believe that it is not intended to work like that, simply because the digged earth needs to go somewhere, and that somewhere is right behind the badger, not leaving enough space for someone to follow.

I think it's reasonable to make it dig a trench anyways, tunnels don't seem feasible to me unless you take some time to tide up the whole digging process.

Parra
2017-07-09, 04:01 PM
tunnels don't seem feasible to me unless you take some time to tide up the whole digging process.

Seems feasible enough to me. Plenty of creatures build underground nests without using structural supports. Granted most of them are not the size of a giant badger and building it in ~12 seconds. But I would certainly say it was something it could do easily enough.

Beelzebubba
2017-07-09, 04:19 PM
I was going to pile on about not allowing it that easily, but then I found this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2120345/Residents-fear-homes-giant-badgers-dig-gardens-threatening-building-foundations.html

My world view is shaken.

NecroDancer
2017-07-09, 09:46 PM
I And it's actually a non-issue at this point because the badger was killed while holding off an army of Gnolls.

That Badger had a more heroic death than any of my characters ever will.

MasterMercury
2017-07-09, 11:06 PM
That Badger had a more heroic death than any of my characters ever will.

I find that's the charm of beast master. You essentially have another whole character you can use for heroic sacrifices. I'm pretty sure the player teared up a bit when the badger held off the 20 Gnolls long enough for the party to escape.

Demonslayer666
2017-07-10, 11:57 AM
I would also agree with Lombra and not allow other medium sized creatures to follow immediately. Take an extra round to remove the dirt, and medium sized creatures could squeeze through, but I would rule it's a tight squeeze.

Dig a 5' deep hole, big enough for one medium sized creature, sure, 1 round (the first 5' of move to dig the hole, spend 5' to remove the dirt). If the badger digs 10' the 5' space behind them is filled with dirt.

I would also not allow digging all the time. Too many rocks can slow or stop it.