PDA

View Full Version : DM Help NPC archers

J-H
2017-07-08, 10:21 PM
I have tried several different ways to build NPC archers, and most of them end up fairly useless and irrelevant to the battles they are in. 1d8+5 damage doesn't do much to PCs beyond 3rd or 4th level, and unless the NPC is higher level than the group, hit rates aren't even very good.

How do you build your archers to do more damage without magical equipment? Should I just make my archer NPCs be Scouts with Improved Skirmish?

I prefer to make NPCs single classed, or with only one PRC/multiclass if possible because making enemies with class levels from scratch is time consuming.

dantiesilva
2017-07-08, 10:28 PM
Sometimes less means more, Heroes of Battle details the rules for arrow volleys where only the leader needs to make an attack roll. On a succesful hit of a normal volley it hits all enemies with one arrow. However their is also a focus fire option which allows a reflex save for half damage.

So 10 level 1 archers can actually hurt the party now without needing magic weapons and such, hope this helps.

Lans
2017-07-08, 11:02 PM
You can get extra attacks, dex to damage, and maybe use harpoons, bolas and the like to hinder the pcs movement

tiercel
2017-07-09, 01:54 AM
Volume: in particular, the Missile Volley teamwork benefit (PHBII). When your bandit gang is unleashing 8 attacks, all of which have an additional +8 to hit, d8+5 is nothing to sneer at if one PC just got pincushioned by 4 to 8 of those hits all in one go.

If that's not mean enough, +1 bane (PC race) arrows aren't THAT expensive for a few rounds of mayhem. (Maybe the bandits are rangers with Favored Enemy (PCs).). If you're throwing multiple archer shots per round, one of the bandit gang can be a bard. Maybe one who's gotten his Inspire Courage optimization on.

danielxcutter
2017-07-09, 03:22 AM
Oh yeah, seconding the Bard idea. Bards can buff a stupidly large amount of allies, and Inspire Courage is +X to attack *and* damage rolls. Plus, Bards themselves have some archery support, such as Charming the Arrows and Songbows, as well as shortbow proficiency. One high-level Bard with a bunch of low-level archers is far more effective than a bunch of low or or even mid-level archers on their own.