PDA

View Full Version : Adapting the Injury Variant to Spell Casting

tedcahill2
2017-07-08, 10:37 PM
I want to modify the casting system so casters aren't limited to a certain number of spells each level per day, but they need to manage their spell casting because using it to excess will have adverse affects. I think the injury system from UA provides an interesting way for hit points to be less abstract, and I was thinking that would be an interesting way to handle spell casting as well.

I would add a Magic Stamina stat to each class that scales based on how many spells per day the class has, the range depending on class would be +6 to +12 (like saving throws) over 20 levels.

Whenever you cast a spell you roll a stamina check, adding your primary casting stat to the roll, against a DC 15+spell level. Nothing happens if you succeed, but failure means you do take magic fatigue. The amount of fatigue you get depends on the level of spell you're casting:
1st highest level spell you can cast: +3
2nd highest level spell you can cast: +2
all other spell levels: +1

The more you cast, the harder it becomes to make the DC of the magic check.

If at any time you fail the save by 10 or more you are burned, unable to cast any spells until you rest. In addition to simply being burned I was thinking that there would be an additional, random, effect, such as taking damage, or being blinded, or passing out, or any other various things that make sense for someone that has exhausted all of the magic power for the day.

This potentially puts magic in like with mundanes in the sense that, one bad die roll, or one good die roll by an enemy in the case of being attacked, can drop a mundane fighter type in one blow. This magic system would similarly have some randomness to it, making it so casters would have to measure the risk of casting a spell against the potential of being burned for the day.

Thoughts?