PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monastic Tradition: Ki Warrior

Easy_Lee
2017-07-08, 11:28 PM
I thought up a weeaboo thing. I apologize for this.

Way of the Ki Warrior

Monks of the Way of the Ki Warrior explore the esoteric traits of life. All life is motion, and Ki Warriors are constantly on the move. They do not live in monasteries. Instead, they travel the realms, learning techniques to move and fight with all the energy of life itself.

Sonic Limbs

Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, vibrating ki energy flows through your body. You gain the following features:

You gain resistance to thundering damage.
When you make an unarmed attack, you may choose to deal thundering damage instead.
Step of the Wind no longer has a Ki cost.
Any time you spend Ki, your body visibly vibrates until the start of your next turn.

Sonic Strike

Beginning at 6th level, you can attack your foes with pure, vibrating Ki energy. When you make an unarmed attack dealing thundering damage, you may spend 1 Ki to achieve one of the following effects:

Your strike glows with vibrating Ki - this attack deals double damage.
A ball of vibrating Ki flies from your open palm - this unarmed strike has a range of 50'. Medium and smaller targets hit by this attack must succeed on a Strength save or be knocked prone and pushed 5' away from you.

Sonic Body

Beginning at 11th level, your vibrating Ki energy flows around you, protecting you from harm and freeing you from your earthly bonds. You gain the following benefits:

You gain a flight speed and a swim speed equal to your land speed.
By spending 1 Ki at the start of your turn, you gain resistance to physical damage and advantage on all saving throws until the start of your next turn.

Sonic Boom

At 17th level, you've learned to harness Ki to shake the world around you with the vibrating life of your soul. Use your bonus action and spend 3 Ki to achieve one of the following effects:

Spherical Burst: creatures and objects within a 20' sphere centered on you must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 8D10 thundering damage.
Rapid Blasts: hurl balls of vibrating Ki at up to four creatures or objects within 200'. Make an unarmed attack roll against each target, dealing 8D10 thundering damage on a hit.
Beam: all targets in a 50' line starting at your outstretched hands and in the direction you choose must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 8D10 thundering damage.

JBPuffin
2017-07-09, 03:35 AM
Most important comment - unless you're trying to invent a new damage type, it's thunder damage, not thundering damage.

This needs a name less generic than ki warrior, I think, but I'm not sure what that might be. Sonic Limbs is interesting, the first option on Sonic Strike may be too much, Sonic Body is nice, and Sonic Boom is cool. Can't say how much better any of these are than Open Hand or other equivalents, but I do believe my DM would be okay with this.