PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Having some fun with a gestalt sorcerer: need ideas

sage20500
2017-07-09, 02:52 AM
Looking for some help for a somewhat optimized semi blaster sorcerer for a not very char op party. (Party consists of as Ranger//Artificer, a Bard//Crusader, and a Cleric//Duskblade.)

We just hit level 4, projected to hit level 20 since we are going through the entirety of the War of the Burning Sky campaign.

Current gestalt is Monk//Sorcerer, and on the monk side I've taken 3 levels of the savage progression for half dragon (Silver) as well as using the major Djini Eefritii bloodline.

Only homebrew in effect is for sorcerer, I got eschew materials at level 1 for free, a free meta magic at 5,10,15,20, and at every odd sorcerer level, I gain the ability to cast 0 of the next highest level spell so that I can consider prestige classing at the same time a Wizard could.

Current feats: (We get a new feat at ever even level)
Level 1: Sand Draconic Heritage, Improved Unarmed Strike (Monk), Improved Initiative (Monk), Eschew Materials, East Wind Style (Trade familiar for this feat, its from Burning Sky)
Level 2: Draconic Heritage (DM gave me a better spell list for it that fits the dragon theme), Clawed Spell (feat given by bloodline since I already had improved initiative. DM is allowing me to have IUS be the prereq so long as I only use Clawed Spells through Unarmed Strikes instead of Touch Attacks)
Level 4: Draconic Breath.

Pretty much the only idea of where I'm going from here is at some point I want to grab 5 levels of War Wizard of Cormyr for enhanced spell area to have better aoe effect spells (Such as acid fog, haboob, and other fun control spells). For current play purposes, most combats that I've been doing have been either casting color spray to stun a large group of people, or punching people with clawed spell shocking grasps for stupidly fun amounts of d6's. Character wise, I've essentially been playing him like a dragonslayer from Fairy Tale, in that he's a melee battle mage at heart, but he'll also try to have some utility spells for battle field control. Would anyone have any suggestions I could look at for potential other PRC's I might be interested in or spells/feats I should try to check out. I know Incantatrix is flat out banned from being used, but aside from that most other things should be allowable, just with the condition of anything I try to do, the enemies will potentially be doing as well (DM is not a fan of fel-drain force missile mages)

Hackulator
2017-07-09, 02:58 AM
Do you not have Arcane Strike??

sage20500
2017-07-09, 03:19 AM
Do you not have Arcane Strike??

Seeing as that requires me to be able to cast 3rd level spells and a BaB of +4, no not yet. (I only have access to 2nd level spells as a level 4 Sorc, and my BaB is currently +2) Not quite sure if I might pick up either, from what I can see, the bonus for using a 1st level spell on it is that my attacks for 1 round get a +1 to hit and 1d4 damage, which currently if I just use shocking grasp, I gain a +3 to hit if they have metal armor, and 4d6 electric damage. At higher levels it might be more interesting to use, but my higher level spells are most likely going to be more of my area control spells so I'm not sure if burning a spell slot for extra d4's on a melee strike would be worth it....

ATHATH
2017-07-09, 03:56 AM
Perhaps you should take a Savage Progression on your Monk side, maybe even heading into that mage-themed prestige class for Vampires that doesn't advance your CL at some point.

sage20500
2017-07-09, 04:02 AM
Perhaps you should take a Savage Progression on your Monk side, maybe even heading into that mage-themed prestige class for Vampires that doesn't advance your CL at some point.

I just finished Savage Prog half dragon on the monk side. Are you allowed more than 1 savage prog on a character?

Mike Miller
2017-07-09, 08:26 AM
Paladin 2 goes well with sorcerer for a nice boost to saves.

angelpalm
2017-07-09, 08:38 AM
I think next time if I get in a game that is 3.5 with gestalt I will try sorc and hexblade. Great saves and all the other goodies from sorcerer on a full bab chasis sound nice. Just gotta get armor that plays nice with the sorcerer side.