PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow person (build advice needed)

The Ship's dog
2017-07-09, 07:45 AM
So this is a thread asking for some advice on a build idea that I have had. The whole build centres around the Heavy Crossbow, the only ranged weapon that deals 1d10 damage. This is what I have so far at level 8:

Race Variant Human
Strength: 8
Constitution: 14
Dexterity: 16
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 16
Charisma: 8

Purple Dragon Knight Fighter 7/War Cleric 1

Feats
Sharpshooter at level 1, Crossbow Expert at level 4

I'm not sure whether I should take Mobile at level 6 so that I can manoeuvre better as well as get away from melee attackers, or whether I should use it for +2 to Dex, or possibly a different feat. I'm also not sure anther I should go War Cleric 2 (for more Warlordy enabling), or just 1 (for the bonus action attacks).

Warlawk
2017-07-09, 02:26 PM
Just my personal opinion, don't go cleric for mechanical reasons. If you want to do it for character RP reasons more power to you, but the return on investment is just not good enough. The extra attacks from war cleric are per long rest, so you're looking at 3 bonus action attacks per day. You would be far better served sticking with straight fighter to get your third attack and other features faster. Purely IMO of course.

For your feat, I would get the +2 dex. With crossbow expert you don't take disadvantage attacking people in melee with you as well as solid HP from fighter levels. With the high range of your weapon I think you would be MUCH better served by +1 hit, +1 damage, +1 AC, +1 dex save (the most common save), +1 initiative and +1 to dex skills than you would a bit of extra mobility that will be useful in only some situations. Again, purely my opinion.

I'm currently playing a fighter (UA scout) 5, Rogue (assassin) 3 dual wielding hand crossbows. It's fun and he's a murder machine but I really think you will be better served with the dex than a situational feat.

Human Paragon 3
2017-07-09, 04:31 PM
It's pretty easy to make a crossbow build in this edition. Any competent class can do it, especially fighter, ranger, and rogue. Just take crossbow expert feat and go to town just like you would with any other character.

Naanomi
2017-07-09, 04:34 PM
Hand crossbows tend to be a bit better than the others; but it is viable any ways with the supporting feats

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-07-11, 05:00 AM
Hand crossbow actually slightly outperforms Heavy Crossbow with the Crossbow Expert feat, since it lets you make an extra attack per round. But if you just like Heavy crossbow, you can make a viable build.

I'd just go straight Battlemaster Fighter, unless you think your campaign is going to last until very high levels. Take the Archery Fighting style, Sharpshooter, and Crossbow Expert, then +2 Dex. Be sure to grab the Precise Attack Maneuver and use it to compensate for Sharpshooter's attack roll penalty. You'll do great amounts of damage.

The Ship's dog
2017-07-11, 05:44 AM
I kind of wanted this build to be a sort of Warlord-like character, so I thought that Purple Dragon knight might fulfill that role better.

coalmaine
2017-07-11, 06:04 AM
Ok im going to come in here from way out.. but hear me out.

How about beastmaster ranger.

Style him as the pack leader.

When you get your second attack at 5 you can compensate loading property of hvy crowsbows with your pet and a poisonous one adds damage. A couple of lvls of rogue, mastermind maybe, adds damage and pet is an always ready ally.

Khrysaes
2017-07-11, 06:11 AM
I keep saying this, because for some reason I am in love with this dip, but...

If UA is allowed,

You can get quite a bit out of 2-4 Spell-Less Revised Ranger.

Two separate non mutually exclusive UA. Gives you advantage on initiatives, a slight damage bonus to the favored enemy, another fighting style: Defense, or more UA, Mariner or Close quarters shooter, 4 more superiority dice and 2 maneuvers, ranger archetype(hunter or monster hunter for consistent damage, deep stalker for dark vision), and the ASI.

Some Rogue is also good, with 2-8 being good. 2 gets the bonus action with dash being awesome, expertise at 1 and 6, good defensive bonuses at 5 and 7.

More UA, but Bard College of Satire at level 3 gets dash AND disengage as the same bonus action, you also get expertise, jack of all trades, and a few spells.

All of which can add a lot of capability to an Archer fighter. though you probably want 12 fighter, and the bard and Rogue have a lot of overlap.

The Ship's dog
2017-07-11, 06:12 AM
Ok im going to come in here from way out.. but hear me out.

How about beastmaster ranger.

Style him as the pack leader.

When you get your second attack at 5 you can compensate loading property of hvy crowsbows with your pet and a poisonous one adds damage. A couple of lvls of rogue, mastermind maybe, adds damage and pet is an always ready ally.

I mean, it's a cool idea, and a good one to compensate for the loading quality without needing Crossbow Expert, but it is really not even close to the character concept that I was going for sorry. Thank you for your input though, it's always good to have different view on how things should be done.

Byke
2017-07-11, 12:10 PM
If you are willing to fluff Eldritch Blast as Heavy Crossbow shots :)

7 Fighter EK (Warmagic) / 2 Warlock / Rogue X

Really shines in the dam department and you have some excellent utility spells as well. (Shield/Absorb Element/Hex)

at 9th 2 EB + Heavy Xbow + Hex

At 11th you will have 3 EB + 1 Heavy Xbow + sneak + Hex dam, Action surge for another 3 EB.

*edit sp

Talionis
2017-07-12, 03:40 AM
Assuming you've already taken the level of cleric, I'd think Bless is your most cast spell it will help offset Sharpshooter. A second level of Cleric gets you a third casting of Bless per day and using your Channel Divinity to help you offset Sharpshooter. So a second level of Cleric is not a waste but that's basically what you are getting.

It was pointed out above boosting Dexterity isn't sexy but mechanically it adds a lot more than most feats and it offsets Sharpshooter. You also want to work towards your next Extra Attack.

Don't forget to keep a hand crossbow because it can out perform the heavy crossbow, especially once you've burned your bonus attacks from War Domain. Roleplay it can be as simple as you use the small crossbow inside which in most campaigns is more often.

I'd suggest next two ASIs go to Dex and get that to twenty.

Once you get next Extra Attack, is look at the Ranger variants available to you the spells are fun to play with and you can add a lot of good ranged attack upgrades. Hunters Mark is very good against hit point sinks. Entangling Strike is also very good.

Rogue dip also isn't bad two levels gives you most of the Mobile feat you wanted, but since your base is Fighter I'd be looking for attack upgrades to each attack and Ranger provides that better.

Human Paragon 3
2017-07-12, 08:20 AM
Although it might sound odd, Vengeance Paladin can be quite good at this. Your channel divinity gives you advantage on all attacks vs. a target, so you can sharpshooter the heck out of him and a few of the smiting spells can be applied to ranged attacks. Haste is also handy.

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-07-13, 07:23 AM
I kind of wanted this build to be a sort of Warlord-like character, so I thought that Purple Dragon knight might fulfill that role better.

That's fair, though Battlemaster does have Commander's Strike, Distracting Strike, Manuevering Attack, and Rally if you wanted to take it in that direction, Purple Dragon Knight has a bit more of that flavor by default.