PDA

View Full Version : Possible fiend patron

Vulryn
2017-07-09, 11:51 AM
Hello guys and gals:),

Long-time reader, first-time poster here. I've already used the search function of the forum, but I couldnt find anything concerning my (following) question.

I have a character in mind- as the title already says, a warlock. After some thought, the night hag caught my Interest. Hags are usually fey, but there is some variation between the different types of hags. Would a powerful night hag qualify as a fiend patron, even though they are of fey origin?

Just for your information, english is Not my native language, so please bear with me.

Unoriginal
2017-07-09, 11:56 AM
A Night Hag can be a Fiend Pact patron, as long as your DM has no issue with it.

I have no idea why your DM would have any issue with it, but still worth mentioning it.

Night Hags have a lot of ties with the evil Planes and the Fiends, so it works thematically to have a Hag know enough to be a Fiend Pact's patron.

It's even noted that a group of Hags once created the Yugoloth, so I don't see how teaching a mortal a few tricks would be more difficult than creating whole new beings.

Socratov
2017-07-09, 11:59 AM
Well, considering that hags are predominantly barterers it's entirely possible that they have acquired some power of fiendish descent and barter it away for your unending loyalty...

Vulryn
2017-07-09, 12:00 PM
Thank you for the reply, looking forward to the respond of my dm!

Unoriginal
2017-07-09, 12:20 PM
Well, considering that hags are predominantly barterers it's entirely possible that they have acquired some power of fiendish descent and barter it away for your unending loyalty...

More of fiendish origin than of fiendish descent, to be fair.

Thank you for the reply, looking forward to the respond of my dm!

Oh, before I forget:

The ruler of the Sixth Layer of Hell used to be a Hag, so there is definitively nothing stopping a Hag from having fiendish power to barter.

Hobbo Jim
2017-07-09, 12:22 PM
There is a night hag (Hag countess? Night countess? idk) that used to be a ruler of one of the nine layers. Additionally, I'm pretty sure that they are still considered fiends despite being of fey origin. Anyways, if the hag is powerful enough, I definitely don't see why you couldn't. Who knows, could be interesting to see the hag try and return to power (I think she is still alive, but tbh I can't really remember)

Unoriginal
2017-07-09, 12:25 PM
There is a night hag (Hag countess? Night countess? idk) that used to be a ruler of one of the nine layers. Additionally, I'm pretty sure that they are still considered fiends despite being of fey origin. Anyways, if the hag is powerful enough, I definitely don't see why you couldn't. Who knows, could be interesting to see the hag try and return to power (I think she is still alive, but tbh I can't really remember)

The Hag Countess got killed by Asmodeus. Or if you go by some older lore she's still alive but has been torn to shred and thrown all over the layer she used to rule.

Naanomi
2017-07-09, 12:25 PM
Her body makes up the structure of the layer.

Incidentally, the idea that Hags created the Yugoloth is either an absurd lie/misunderstanding; or one of the more disappointing shifts in cannon in this edition

Unoriginal
2017-07-09, 12:32 PM
Incidentally, the idea that Hags created the Yugoloth is either an absurd lie/misunderstanding; or one of the more disappointing shifts in cannon in this edition

Eh, honestly, I like it. I find the Yugoloth starting as custom-made mooks who managed to outsmart Asmodeus and their creators pretty interesting and fun.

Plus I like how the Yugoloth can be brought back after being killed on their native plane with the proper ritual, contrarily to other Fiends who just disappears in a puddle of ichor or a puff of smoke and can only be brought back with True Resurrection (unless they thought precaution beforehand).

Naanomi
2017-07-09, 12:53 PM
Yeah but you give up the mystery of the Baernoloth... the true role of Yugoloth in regards to the other fiendish races; and their role and motive for maintaining the Blood War. You also give up the symmetry of the Outsider races (which of course we haven't seem all of in 5e yet)