PDA

View Full Version : Curious Expedition: Barrow of Siviniak the Sinister (Take 2)

Lacco
2017-07-09, 03:22 PM
The wagon was uncomfortable and the travel was uneventful. There were no interesting events - the imperial roads were safe, well-maintained and damn boring. The weather was fine, a bit windy but pleasant.

Finally, on the seventh day of their travel, their wagon rolled over a hill and they saw the small village. Village of Nestflea.

The valley with village was quite pleasant sight, with the whole valley bathed in the setting sun. Only the smell, which hit them from afar, disturbed the pleasant view. Even though it was only twelve houses, one small tavern and a small smithy, the village was surrounded by palisades. To east, past the village, they could see the few fields behind the palisades, followed by the wall of trees, known also as Shadetree forest.

Your travel began at Caer Beriss, on 24th day of Warmbreeze Springfeast (5th month of the year). A red star has been seen on the night before - the night when you sat with the Guildmaster in the Rook and Dagger tavern.

Irdzvan Dherndricc, the current Guildmaster, a hill dwarf of some renown, came to their table, followed by a serving girl that held their drinks.

"So, listen... this is the second time I've had to find a group to finish this task. I'm still short on staff. Everybody wants to live their pleasant lives in safety of the cities, and there are not enough adventurers. So you are most probably my last chance. This is the deal: I give you a map, and "sell" you the rights to this expedition. You are then allowed to loot the tomb, and any dungeons, crypts and other delves - and that's just for 10% of everything you find there. I'll throw in a transport - my friend Diranos Swiftrake will drive you in his carriage - and pay for inns on the road. And you'll bring me back the ring called "Finger of Decay" that Siviniak wore on his finger. So what do you say?" He handed them a crudely drawn map and told them few stories - and paid for their drinks. And so they agreed.

That was a week ago. They sat in a carriage, provided by Irdzvan.

The carriage was old, smelled like a wet dog, but was comfortable. Diranos was a silent fellow - most of the time he just drove the horses and ignored their attempts in conversation - his responses were limited to nods, shrugs, coughing and - if he disagreed - spitting on ground.

As they left the carriage, in the middle of the village, they noticed the peasants eyed them suspiciously. Few windows were shut, and some shut when the peasants sighted them. A robust, cleanly-shaven man approached them.

"Greetings, travellers. My name is Berchios and I am the mayor and priest of this village. If you need supplies, or rest, we will help you." He did not smile, his eyes seemed to wander from their faces to their pouches. "Provided, of course, you can pay. Last time we had your kind here, few things disappeared... so people may not be so friendly."

Diranos, coughing, handed him a scroll, the same scroll he handed every innkeeper they met on the road. It had an official seal of the Adventurer's guild and was beautifully illuminated. Berchios quickly studied it and then continued, with his smile diminishing a bit.
"Official guild business, eh? Very well, our inn is at your service for this night, free of costs. Welcome."

He answers your questions, and after few minutes excuses himself.

The village was a dump - and the tavern was double so. One common room, a bucked of water, watered-down beer... but their kitchen was palatable and it was - supposedly - their last dinner before they venture into the wilderness.

The night passed quietly and in the morning, the innkeep woke them up.

"It's time."

It was on that day. On first of Springfeast, year 893 of the Empire, your expedition really begun. The members of the expedition collected their equipment, donned their armour, prepared their weapons and left the unnamed inn.

The outside air was cold, but it was far from freezing. The air was fresh, and the white, fluffy clouds did promise a pleasant start of the journey. As they stood in the middle of the village, near the village post, they noticed a soft glow on the horizon - the sunrise, filtered through the clouds...

So, here we are. The expedition has started.

Traditional GM question: what do you do? Feel free to post description of your character, or anything that you feel the others should know.

The villagers were able to sell you:
- food (fresh or dried meat, basic vegetables or grains)
- basic tools (up to hatchet/shovel)
- repairs (if you have the money) - melee weapons & up to leather armour
- a mule

The carriage will wait for you until you come back with the item of power you were asked to bring back.

So, you are standing in the open air, outside the tavern. Check the map in the OOC thread, and plan your trip.

If someone wants to address something from the week of travel or anything in the text above, write in OOC - I'll add it to this introduction.

Oh, and good luck!

Taqukaq
2017-07-12, 06:30 AM
Rook exits the inn and pulls out the provided map of the area. He inspects it cautiously, silently. He stands infront of the group with his spear and shield comfortably strapped on his back. The spear angled so as to not hit the ground. But god forbid if he wants to walk through a doorway without drawing it.

After he has finished analyzing he spins around and holds the map open for all to see.

So, an idea would be to first inquire about details of our primary objective whilst we are in known civilization. See what we can find out about this Sivirnak or whats his name and where we can find what we need. My guess would be somewhere in the marshes here to the south but I dont want to make assumptions.

So ill start off at the tavern and we can all ask around about any rumors or stories. After that we can ask rumors on any of the other expititions we could make. I reccomend the forest expitition. We could even stock up on food, dry, salt and preserve what we hunt so we can make additional rations from that before we go into more....inhospitable areas. Ill go see if we can purchase some salt in this. Illage, if we can't them we will just need to rely on drying and smoking. Thoughts?

Rook stood there, not entirely dure whether he looked like an idiot or not stabding there displaying the map. So he stops and holds the map out for someone to take from his and analyze themselves if they dont have a map of themselves. Then he takes his spear so he can manouver better in and out of the various shops here, still keeping the leather sheath tied around the spear head.

Lank
2017-07-13, 02:04 AM
Gunnar was a quiet man. Not very much of a people person. Unless he needed something or had a question he was pretty well silent for the duration of their travel.
He was not a handsome man. He looked like he was approaching 40. He had short, dirty blonde hair thinning back with his ever receding hairline. He had a greasy black beard with a few beads to keep it from looking too wild. His eyes were a dull grey tone, however he always looked tired.
He was a tall muscular man. They certainly do breed them tough in the northern kingdoms.

Generally he kept to himself, he spent most of his free time counting his coins and performing maintenance on his arms and armor. In fact the only time he ever really smiled was when he was getting paid.

Once they arrived at Nestflea he was certainly more active that the others had ever seen him.

"This place is a dump, and the less time we spend here the better. However asking these peasants about the latest news could be beneficial. Also might be worth checking with the locals about local banditry. Where we are heading I highly doubt the local law enforcement patrols".
He said in his thick northern accent.

XIII
2017-07-15, 01:09 AM
'Mother would be amused to see me as I am', thought Doctor Jeshickah Clarimonde DeGrogoch. 'Not even 2 silver to my name, having to decide between soap and paper. Oh, how she would laugh'. Jeshickah faintly registered the two men speaking, she turned from the sunset to face them. "Shall we go to market? In any event I should like to visit a library or some such institute of learning, such places hold answers." Her accent, for lack of a better word, was filled with the haughty and presumptuous tones expected of nobility. Her actual voice, however, was as mousy as they came. Awaiting response, she stared at them through the red lenses of her bone-white mask.

Taqukaq
2017-07-15, 05:36 AM
Rook looked between his companions that were speaking. An interesting bunch to say the least. It was my job to guard them but they all seemed more than able to defend themselves. Huh, funny how that goes. How many of these poor toens people need protection. Such an insignificant place here. Its almost depressing.

Well unfortunately im not sure we will find anything like that here, but one of our expeditions might have something ms. Jeshickah. With that being said, we can split up and meet back here in an hour or so and then leave this place sooner rather than later. Ill head to the tower, mr. Gunnar can check with the local populace and Ms. Jeshickah can check the markets. Any other plan?

Rook prepares to set off for the tavern. If no one has anything else to add and if no one stops Rook, then he makes his marry way to the tavern to collect info.

CaptainCharisma
2017-07-16, 07:47 PM
Akisha took slightly more time to prepare herself than her traveling companions; she had to double check each of her belongings to make sure that not a one, townsfolk or acquaintences, meddled with her things. Particularly this Jeshickah. While the prospect of another versed in the mysteries promised the possibility of new knowledge, by that same measure it made her even more untrustworthy. If one of the other two were to skim her studies, they would make nothing of it, but she.... yes, this 'Doctor' could possibly make use of such writings. The lizard woman smirked to herself, alone in the room. At least she could if she could decipher the blend of Imperial and Lizardfolk writing.

She joined the others outside of the ramshackle inn, putting her hood up as the sunlight lit her blackish-green scales. The warmth would do her good, but even in civilization as remote as this, it was best to keep her face at least partially obscured. Listening to the suggestions put forth by the others, Akisha stayed mostly silent, until it seemed as if the group was about to scatter to the four winds. In a quiet voice that had the command of confidence, she spoke in her broken Imperial. "Akisha suggests all buy breakfast, and not waste time on things that are not here." The second bit she turned her head slightly in Jeshickahs direction before addressing the group once more. "Find safest route, leave before sun moves. Longer Akisha stays here, more risk we take, longer to reach Siviniak. Akisha ready horses, ready when everyone returns." Giving it a moment for the rest to absorb her words, Akisha turned back on her heels to return to the confines of the inn, intent upon easily and quickly filling her belly for what will be the last time in potentially weeks.

Akisha has purple text with the code cc00aa, if anyone intents to put what she says into their own posts for whatever reason. Also, if Akisha speaks in italics than she is speaking in Lizardman, not Imperial. And don't worry RedXIII, my purple is a different shade :P

Akisha will buy breakfast from the inn, if available. She has 16 copper to spend, and will buy basic breakfast (stew/bread/eggs, if available) with nothing that has alcoholic content in it. After eating, (she will not mull over her plate) she will prepare her and everyone elses mount, and will not leave the inn until everyone arrives unless something happens.

Also, in the last iteration, I believe Lacco had Eplov make a roll to figure out how much he know about Akisha. I'm assuming that someone is going to know something, and that if one person knows, the news will make it to the others, and am posting with this assumption. I don't know if Lacco will make the rest of you roll.

Morning break:
- PCs have breakfast, break camp and prepare for journey (1h break) - Check
- players select direction - Defers to group decision, prefers safest route
- players select mode of travel (march, hustle, cautious, relaxed, foraging/hunting, exploring) Akisha will vote March, which I assume is 'normal' pace
- players decide on their diet (full rations, halved rations, double rations, no rations) Full rations

Lacco
2017-07-17, 03:44 AM
Morning Break
1st of Springfeast, year 893 of the Empire
Village of Nestflea

The sun slowly glided above the mountains on east, but the air was still refreshingly chill.

The village awoke, as the peasants started their morning routine - feeding the livestock, preparing for the day's work.

The clouds above the eastern mountains promised change of weather.

The map provided no information for him to decide which way to go - it was quite detailed, but the barrow was not marked in any way.

They would have to find it.

Entering the only tavern in the village, he made way to the tavernkeep. A thin man with rat-like face, who kept yawning. He gave way to Akisha, who ordered a large breakfast, and then tried to question the man.

Behind him, Akisha enjoyed her breakfast and then left towards the stables.

After long, long hour he gave up. He learned only that what he already knew - that there were ugly things in the dark parts of Shadetree forest; that Wolfrun hills - if their name was not a dead giveaway - were full of wolves; and some local folk lore about travelling salesmen that try to steal your body or soul. Even the other patrons were mostly silent. Only one of them insisted on telling him about the devouring tree in the forest, which ate his horse... but was quickly silenced by the others and denounced as local fool.

He left, gathered his equipment and met the others in the stables.

SOC/persuasion [roll0] TN 7

The large man in clinking armor - Rook - which reminded her of silvery scales of some of her brethren - let her ask for breakfast first. The tavern was smelly, but the food was palatable. And considering this would be maybe her last real meal not prepared by herself before returning from the barrow...

She enjoyed the fried eggs and bread - but the real surprise came when she found goat cheese on the plate, under the eggs. That was a real treat.

Almost worth the copper piece.

When she finished, Rook was still trying to pry some particulars about the barrow from the unknowing tavernkeep. She went to the stables and saddled the horses, prepared them for the journey. She enjoyed the silence and the less complicated creatures...

...and then the others came, ready for the journey.

Jeshickah looked around and had to agree - the lizardwoman had a point. She was so used to the pleasures of civilization, that such a backwards country surprised her a bit.

No libraries.

She moved towards the most urban-looking area she suspected was used as "market". An old lady sold basic food there, behind her stood a general store, and next to it a smithy.

No hospitals.

The arthritic old lady with a shaking alto voice, offered her mainly grains, at 2 coppers per bag - saying it's enough for one day for a horse, or 4 portions of porridge for one person. She also sold cabbage, 2 bits per one head, and fresh bread - 3 small loaves per 2 bits.

No civilized food.

She thanked her, acting as polite as possible.

No privacy of large cities.

Ah, well. It could be worse. At least the party consisted of very fine specimen. The lizardwoman was especially intriguing - especially her interest in the... more mystical aspects of the life.

She looked forward to finding out her true talents, and so gathered her personal effects and followed the others to the stables.

The horses were ready.

Question: does the "beak" of her mask contain herbs? Or is it currently empty?

I don't know if I should incorporate her olfactory senses into the description.

Moving towards the few people who were already outside, he thought about the best way to force them to talk.

Money was out of question. And so he just tried to appeal to their better nature and make them talk a bit.

On his way he noticed the lizardwomen, Akisha, entering the tavern. He appreciated the straightforward approach of the lizardlady - her cold, calculating nature was worth of appreciation, but... he already ate a bit of dried meat and piece of bread for breakfast - so why spend more money on breakfast...?

Local people were either mute or stupid - they lived here for years and their answers to most questions were "I don't know." or "I have to go work.". Peasants.

Only two pieces of gossip seemed to be interesting. The major of the village told him, that the previous expedition for some reason thought that the mountains were where Siviniak's tomb was located. Gunnar had a strong feeling that he told him so just to get rid of them - but he then followed by saying there were more adventurers who tried finding it, and one said the damned thing was almost on top of one mountain.

After Gunnar insisted, he also told him the man died of fever in few hours.

The second piece of gossip came from a small girl. She said, that last time, when they hosted someone from the guild, few small things disappeared from the village. And so most people dislike adventurers now. But she did not mind and offered to become his apprentice.

After almost an hour he accepted that he will not learn more even if he put the peasants to torture. He walked towards the inn, gathered his stuff and went to stables.

Akisha was already there, with the horses ready to leave this dump. He was ready too.

The others followed shortly.

SOC/persuasion [roll1] TN 7

Taqukaq
2017-07-17, 06:19 AM
Rook walks back in silent defeat. He wasnt able to gather anything new, but it might be that we have the most information thus far without invextigating ourselves. Rook gathers his supplies and loads them on his horses saddlebag. He gently beudhes his hand on his steeds mane. She has brought him through alot. Practically grew up with him. He still wasnt a master at riding the steed. But he taught himself and she was a patient beast.

He would make up for this and ensure she was taken care of. He nodded professionally at everyone and when everyone was ready he began to lead his horse out of the stable and onward to our destination.

Im gonna change it to dark blue because thzt teal hurts my eyes.

Well, I do believe we should all make our way through the forest first. It seems the more dangerous parts are deeper in the woods so i suggest we march along the stream on the south side of the forrest. That way we have a steady water supply and can hunt. Any suggestions?

Lank
2017-07-17, 09:54 PM
"The stream is the most logical. We will have unlimited water for ourselves and our animals. We also will have little chance of getting lost. However I urge caution. Be it bear or bandit the stream promises to be the most populated part of the forest. And I expect you all to bathe regularly, I don't want to have to put up with you all smelling like cattle" Gunnar said in his usual grumpy tone.

CaptainCharisma
2017-07-20, 03:36 PM
By the time the rest of the group made their way back, Akisha had already prepared each of the horses. As each individually filed in, she set her foot in the right stirrup and swung herself on top of Hus'sar. Settled in the saddle with tail hanging down his left flank, the lizard witch pulled her cloak tighter to her body, fabric obscuring most of her features, at least at a casual glance. Not a word came from her as the others discussed their failures and successes; she simply watched from under the shadow her hood provided. How she wished for the road already... The thick fur off the cloak was little substitute for the heat of direct sunlight. Once they were on their way, she would be allowed a little more freedom.

Akisha will ride either 2nd or 3rd if there is a 'marching order'. She leaves the lead for whoever has the map, or knows where they are going.

Lacco
2017-07-20, 04:54 PM
Evening Break
1st of Springfeast, year 893 of the Empire
Near Unnamed Lake

Morning ride was rather pleasant - slightly chilly wind was soon replaced by the warm touch of sun, which peeked out from behind the clouds. The mountains to the east were almost invisible, hidden behind cloudy veil that seemed to always obscure their peaks.

To south they saw the majestic river flowing down the valley - on one side, there was a large flat, obscured by mist - obviously the marsh. The mist seemed to move, sometimes even into the forest on the other side.

The forest stood there, as one large green barrier.

They left the village behind them very soon, along with its smell. Their horses seemed almost glad to finally get some exercise and they rode towards the space between the forest and the river.

Rook lead them, his horse maintained steady tempo, and his owner was on a lookout for any dangers that could lurk ahead.

Akisha, on the other side, watched around, trying to find anything interesting. She rode forward sometimes, or ventured to the side, to ensure that she did not miss anything interesting. However, the plains around them were rather... uninteresting.

Gunnar just rode - on one side he enjoyed the ride, on the other, the surroundings were a bit boring.

Jeshickah lead her horse to the tall grass, trying to find any and every herb she could. At first she returned each time with something, but later...

...after around three hours, their surroundings changed - slowly, the grass started to disappear, the ground seemed unnaturally coloured and they noticed also an acrid smell.

They found a small spring, but it was full of dead insects. They emptied their waterskins, and continued towards the lake.

For the whole day, they saw nobody else, and except for the strange, wasted part of land, nothing happened.

They rode and reached the lake before dusk. The land seemed more healthy here - and the water seemed clear. The sun was slowly setting down, its rays turning the sea into a mirror-like red wonder.

The lake was surrounded by willows and they saw a fish jump out of the water in the distance.

Rook was the first to notice the dead insects - and even the white skull of drowned rat.

It was obvious that something happened at this part of plains... but what? He did not know.

They "enjoyed" their meal in the middle of the waste. It was not really pleasant...

Now it was time to break camp, fill the waterskins and provide some rest to the horses... and their owners. Rook took a moment to enjoy the surroundings - the lake was a nice view.

3 successes on scouting roll; very nice!

Roll WIL/current morale. If you roll higher, add 1 point of morale for the view.

Akisha felt her curiosity rising. The plains were nothing special - she looked towards the forest and wondered about all the mysteries it held.

The wasted land was just a appetizer for her - she watched the grass, the ground, but could not discern if this was a matter of magical forces or something else. She was however sure it was not natural occurrence.

It was time for dinner.

No discoveries.

Visible landmarks:
- Shadetree forest
- River

Roll WIL/current morale. If you roll higher, add 1 point of morale for the view.

Jeshickah felt a sting of boredom, as the only interesting moments were the ones when she found the herbs.

She rode back and forth - the plains seemed to be full of useful material.

She gathered enough hiilsoon leaves for a small hospital, and even Orin's bane - she only read about the herb.

It was pity that the scenery changed - and she was not able to find any herbs... except few half-dead or deformed pieces of vegetation...

It was now evening. She looked over the lake with disinterest.

Hiilsoon leaves (8 batches): each batch provides 1 additional die for first aid attempts and 2 dice if used in salves for long-term healing of wounds.
Orn's bane (3 batches): very potent wound-healing herb (halves healing time, adds +5 dice for healing if used in salves); however it is also a residual neurotoxin (potency 2; for each dose make 2 rolls with a week period; if further doses are used add the potency together; requires one month to take course).

The ride was pleasant, the company refreshingly silent, and it seemed that this expedition business would be rather easy - hopefully also well-paid.

After the ride he felt rather fresh - and the lake was also a nice view.

Evening camp:
- decide on forced march
- PCs break camp and have dinner (2h break)
- remove consumed food from inventory
- check comfort (TN for fatigue removal)
- trapping rolls are made (if applicable)

"Check comfort" means also - tell me if you remove all armour before sleeping, if you light fire, eat a hot meal and overall your arrangement for night.

Also: you have around 2 hours until nightfall. Feel free to tell me how you spend those.

First day was rather boring, but we'll see about the next one... :smallsmile:

Taqukaq
2017-07-21, 05:34 AM
[roll0]

Rook pondered the meaning behind the decaring lands and pead pond. Must have been a battle there or some great atrocity being commited. Rook knew more about comitting atrocities than he would care to admit. As we reach our camping destination, Rook saw no reason to force March. No one was chasing us.

As we broke for camp, rook didnt remove his armor. He set up camp and then scouted the surrounding area trying to take note of newly travled paths, broken brush lines, anything to hint the increased possibility of ambush. After that Rook went back and pleasantly ate. On his free time he took up his spear and shield, training his thrusts. He didnt hold his shield. He wanted to focus solely on thrusts for now. He would train if he had time and wasnt tired and everyone was doing their own thing. Then he removed his armor after training and readied himself for sleep.

It would have bern nice to get to know his comrades, but he had a duty first. Still, Rook thought he should head over to try to talk to them in the final hours of the day. He wanted to make sure none of them would leave a knife in his throat whilst he slept. Rook chuckled at his own thought. He knew what it was like to leave a knife in someones throat when they were asleep. He shook the thought from his head. He is a different man now. His past cant follow him... thefe is no one alive from it to follow him.

Lank
2017-07-24, 12:46 AM
The ride was an easy one for Gunnar. His companions were a motley bunch of misfits and outcasts so naturally Gunnar fit right in. When they decided to set up camp Gunnar decided to make himself useful and fetch some firewood so the party won't be shivering tonight. He was use to be alone so it was nice to have others doing things that he would normally had to do himself.

-tie horse to nearby tree (near grass)
-set up tent
-collect firewood
-eat his meal
-take the time to bathe in the lake

Gunnar sits on the ground eating some rations whilst watching Rook train. He had never been that big on spears. He never doubted their effectiveness but he preferred the versatility of his halberd.

He silently observed Akisha and Jeshickah. Gunnar could at least draw similarities between himself and Rook but that was simply not the case with Akisha and Jeshickah. To Gunnar they were both outlandish and weird. Gunnar theorized that the doctor must have botched a surgery on someone important to wind up here, perhaps that was why she wore the mask.

Gunnar watched Akisha. She was the most unsettling for him. Gunnar didn't know where she came from or why she was here. Quite frankly he wasn't sure he wanted to find out either. Some stories are better left untold he thought to himself.

---

After his meal Gunnar decided it was time to bathe. He wasn't the cleanest of people and he knew it, but he still did what he could to make himself more bearable. His back was full of scars (looks like he suffered the "cat of nine tails"). The rest of his body had scars and burns but his back was the most noticeable.

CaptainCharisma
2017-07-25, 07:17 PM
As the sun started to sink to the western horizon, Akisha was already starting to feel rather uncomfortable in the saddle. Once the rag-tag group finally stopped for the night, her legs and posterior were quite sore indeed. She was not used to riding for such long periods of time, and her saddle had not been designed with the comfort of tailed races in mind. Still, there was work to be done. The lizard witch surveyed the land around her with an inscrutable expression. The lake would attract animals, including ones who would not be considered benign. Akisha knew little of the surrounding areas fauna, but she would prefer her sleep uninterrupted, regardless of it being a curious deer or hungry wolf.

She took a few moments to dig through her saddle bags, coming up with some bread and dried meats, things that could both be carried and quickly eaten. As the others set up camp, she wandered slowly around the perimeter, searching until she found an area of sufficiently sparse foliage. Akisha knelt, index finger brushing a few test lines in the dirt. Yes, this would do. "Jeshickah," she called out suddenly. Waiting only to be acknowledged, she continued. "You will assist Akisha? Akisha create ward, keep predators away. Jeshickah familiar with barriers? Rituals?" Blinking impassively as Jeshickah explained, Akisha started to draw in the dirt. First, a circle, a hands length wide. It was followed by a square around the edges, than a diamond around that, and a diamond encasing that, and so on. "Circle is safe." She pointed toward the center. "Square barrier. Every square, new aspect of barrier. Stack aspects, stronger ward. But wrong aspects make weak ward. Or no ward. Akisha show. Jeshickah and Akisha use fire aspects. Beasts fear fire. Not come near." This continued for some time; Akisha would draw into an ever complicating diagram, explaining what each stroke meant in her own broken speech. She finally stood and stared at Jeshickah, the strange mask covering clear eye contact. "First, build real fire on circle. Then, whatever Akisha draw, Jeshickah draw. Then, Jeshickah focus energies on Akisha, and Akisha does the rest." Satisfied that the woman understood, for she had certainly not gotten the impression that Jeshickah was slow, they began.

It was a slow, but deliberate process to any onlookers. First, the pair did indeed build a fire in the center diagram. Not a large one, just big enough sustain itself, but that would be a moot point soon. Excrutiatingly slowly, Akisha retraced the entirety of the diagram, every symbol, every stroke, every line and every dot, clockwise starting from the north. Power began to flow, a tingle in her teeth and a prickling on her scales, like the build up of electricity before a lightning strike. As soon as the final line was sketched, the modest fire in the center roared to life, blazing with a heat of a flame many-fold its size. There was no time to enjoy the radiating warm, however. Akisha took her place at the northern most point, careful not to scuff any of the arcane marks as she sat. From under her robe, she pulled a necklace constructed of what looked like animal teeth. The lizardfolk wrapped the slack around her hand and bowed her head, chanting low in a language none around could understand. She spoke of many things, but foremost, her words were about destruction. Flames belching from the mouths of volcanos as gouts of lava hurled into the air, lightning turning a massive forest, old as the world itself, into nothing but a layer of fine ash, the earth splitting open to reveal the magma flow that was the lifeblood of the planet. The eldritch energies were shaped, molded, from a foreign power that those without higher intelligence could not recognize to resemble something much more primal, but in many ways much more destructive.

And just like that, it was done. The light cast by the blaze, which should have long since exhausted it's fuel, ceased as the fire simply puffed out of existence. In it's place was a single glowing ember, about the size of a fist. Wearily, Akisha rose and strode toward the center of the now powerless diagram. Much to the surprise of any observer, she simply reached down and picked the smoldering charcoal up. Yet there was no sizzle of flesh, no smell of seared scales. Akisha approached the main part of the camp, near the still crackling fire, and set the coal near it. "Protects from predators." She walked out about 8 feet away and scuffed a mark in the dirt with her heel. "This far, all directions. Last many days. No wolf come past, unless very, very, VERY hungry." Her work done, Akisha retrieved her bedroll from Hus'sar, then led him a bit closer, so he was within the confines of the ward. As soon as her bedding situation was taken care of, the lizard woman laid herself down, and promptly slept.

Whew, ok. If there's anything wrong with the 'fluff' of how I went about that, let me know.
1 hour of instruction of Jeshickah.
2 hours of ritual.
7 net successes with no taint gained. 1 toward size, so 5 meters (about 16 feet) diameter. 3 for duration, and 3 for thickness. So, the glowing ember has...

16 foot radius
3 day duration from now
3 required successes in order to pass the barrier (Willpower)

Akisha will then lay the bedroll near the fire and sleep. She scarfed down some food before she started explaining.

Lacco
2017-07-26, 07:10 AM
2nd Springfeast 893
Dawn
Lake on Tallgrass Plains

The night was long and mostly pleasant, however it started to rain some time after midnight.

It was just a light rain, but in the morning it looked like it will rain for the whole day - large gray clouds rolled across the sky and they couldn't even see the mountains in the distance.

They broke the camp quite quickly - only Jeshickah was a bit slower today - and prepared for further journey. Their horses were fresh, ready for another day of travel.

The mist above the marsh on the other side of the river grew even thicker today.

Akisha felt right at home - the temperature dropped during the night, which meant she slept soundly, and the lake even provided her with pleasant ambience - croaking of frogs, buzzing of insects, the song she already knew from the marshes.

She woke up to find her body rather stiff - the temperatures were low, and it was raining, so she had to move towards the fire to awaken the muscles.

You are not fatigued.
Morale does not change.

Please, update your sheet with Encumbrance information (during normal travel) according to the spoiler on first page.

The clouds were as gray as Rook's thoughts and the sound of rain on his helmet was quite annoying, but he managed to squeeze out a smile when he saw Akisha move towards the fire to warm herself up.

When he left his tent, he felt rather refreshed - it was a good night, even if the local insects were a bit too noisy for his liking.

He looked around and saw Gunnar pack his tent. Jeshickah was nowhere to be seen, so he shook her tent to wake her up. At least she was awake now.

He started to pack his stuff.

You are not fatigued.
Your gained 1 point of morale from surroundings yesterday.

Please, update your sheet with Encumbrance information (during normal travel) according to the spoiler on first page.

Yesterday's swim helped him to get a sound sleep and Gunnar awoke with rather good mood. At night, he rolled in a vast mountain of golden coins... and even though he had to wake up from the dream, his mood did not change even though the weather did.

It was time to move.

You are well rested, no fatigue.
You gained 1 point of morale due to surroundings.
Roll EN/8 to gain "Well-rested" condition (decreases TN of HT and EN rolls for rest of the day).

It was obvious, that even though the ward did in fact prevent local fauna - including the insects - from entering, it did little to prevent their vocal properties from impacting her sleep.

Jeshickah awoke with a sigh when Rook shook her tent's roof to tell her that they were supposed to continue their travels today. The tent she slept in was small when compared to the pavilion tents of her family but it at least protected her from the rain.

She felt her back ache when she left the tent, and barely could keep her eyes open when she tried to eat her breakfast.

And then she had to pack her tent, and prepare to move. It was already tiring and it was only morning...

You have 2 points of fatigue.
No impact on morale (yet).

Visible landmarks:
River
Shadetree forest (+ Fangs)
Blightfield marsh

If you go along the river, you will hit the forest soon and will have to enter during the day if you do not with to cross to the other side (marsh). Even if the map does not show it, the river actually goes through the forest at some points.

Morning break:
- PCs have breakfast, break camp and prepare for journey (1h break)
- players select direction
- players select mode of travel (march, hustle, cautious, relaxed, foraging/hunting, exploring)
- players decide on their diet (full rations, halved rations, double rations, no rations)
- GM rolls daily rolls (hazard/encounter/discovery/boon)

Taqukaq
2017-07-27, 02:56 PM
Rook got up and put his armor on. Damn bugs, he aught to eat a few and show them whos boss... but who wants to eat bugs when we dine like kings off rations? Rook chuckled to himself on his bit of humor. He certsinly has eaten worse. The rations werent bad at all. He shook Jeshicka's tent but still gave her privacy. There is a special place in hell for men who do not afford women thrir privacy. Rook had enough special places in hell for his deeds. No need for more. Rook tore down his tent and toom in the sight ahead of them. Still not quite as beautiful as yesterday, but it truely pays to enjoy the calm of the world. Especially when all you have known in chaos.

Rook saddles his horse and gets her ready to go. We head along the river on the forest side. Rook decides to do scouting again like he did yesterday, hopong he could keep up the good work. But before he does that he travels in silence with his party for a while. Then without any warning or pretext Rook begins to speak. Almost as if weaving a wonderous story.

"There was a story of a bear who wandered a wood similar to those we are about to enter. The bear was strong, devout and honorable, truely a proud beast. He protected several other bears from the ravenous wolf packs that frequented by to pick off easy kills. But no, the bear refused to alliw this. Despite being a bear, despite bears being rumored as dumb, slow and witless, this vear was very intelligent.

Set traps and ambushes for these wolves... there was never one or a few.... no... never a few. They always came in droves, hoping to overwhellm the bear. The bear used traps and funnle points within the wood to neutralize their attempts. Stake pits, dropping wasp nests.... the besr each time would fend these wolves off to protect the other bears. The bear tried not to kill, only incapacitate, it still wanted to be merciful. The stske pits would kill obviously and he couldnt avoid it all the time...but he did so at any possible moment.

The bear may have been intelligent, but in his youth....he was a fool. Trying to save everyone, even his enemies. The bear kept this up for what seemed to be years... the bear grew tired... but his capability wasnt what faltered. It were his proud morals that held him back. The bear grew tired of sparing so many greedy and selfish wolves only to be set upon once more in a few days. The bears traps became more cruel, more....barbaric. the bear would no longer let them leave peacefully. He would track the wolves to their homes whilst they lick their wounds... the bear killed thrm and their families in their sleep.

He slit their throats...snapped necks and suffocated the young ones... no sense letting them grow up just to be your hunter right? Once the bear finished...he burned their homes to the ground and left... he never had any more issues with the wolves anymore. The weaker bears thanked him but the strong bear had to leave. For these bears were not family. He just so happened to be passing through...and he helped them....he...he helped."

Rook stopped his story after that and grew silent... his thoughts raced through his memory as he turned it into a story. Maybe the story will help them distract themselves from constantly traveling. Rook was always good at telling stories. He then pulled ahead of everyone, keen on doing his scouting business.

XIII
2017-07-29, 01:12 AM
Jeshikah's attention was mostly kept on Akisha, how fascinating she found the lizardfolk. She never had the chance to interact with live specimen and eyed her hungrily behind her red lenses. They barely knew one another, Jeshikah felt compelled to remedy that. "A practitioner of the mystic arts no less", she reminded herself and how much more exciting it made this. She became wrapped up in the thoughts, missing most of what Rook had said.

"...ms. Jeshickah... Ms. Jeshickah...

Twice her thoughts were disturbed by the horrible prefix like a gong going off in her ear. The ringing turned into her mother's scolding about how the prefix miss or missus were for the lesser class, those with no titles, peasants. Jeshikah hardly cared, truly, for matters of class, but her mother and the etiquette schools had done their damage. Every nerve in her body shouted for it to stop. "Please, ser. Lady Jeshikah, if you insist on using my given name. Doctor or Dr. DeGrogoch is also acceptable."

"Akisha suggests all buy breakfast, and not waste time on things that are not here." The second bit she turned her head slightly in Jeshickahs direction before addressing the group once more. "Find safest route, leave before sun moves. Longer Akisha stays here, more risk we take, longer to reach Siviniak. Akisha ready horses, ready when everyone returns."

"Oh, how charming that is," thought the good doctor, in reference to Akisha's accent. Under the mask, a smile creeped across her thin lips as the lizard-woman's head turned slightly in her direction, giving her previous glimpses of her face. How handsome the blackish-green scales were to her, she missed the entirety of what she said.

By the time the rest of the group made their way back, Akisha had already prepared each of the horses.

Lady Jeshikah placed a hand gingerly on her chest, as if in surprise. "Oh, dear. You went through all the trouble, gratitude. You certainly did not have to."

"...And I expect you all to bathe regularly, I don't want to have to put up with you all smelling like cattle" Gunnar said in his usual grumpy tone.

She breathed a sigh of relief, "A man after my own heart. Hygiene first, after all! We can avoid all manner of infection and affliction with proper bathing!"

Akisha, on the other side, watched around, trying to find anything interesting. She rode forward sometimes, or ventured to the side, to ensure that she did not miss anything interesting. However, the plains around them were rather... uninteresting.

But Akisha was not at all uninteresting to watch...

Jeshickah lead her horse to the tall grass, trying to find any and every herb she could. At first she returned each time with something, but later...

...after around three hours, their surroundings changed - slowly, the grass started to disappear, the ground seemed unnaturally coloured and they noticed also an acrid smell.They found a small spring, but it was full of dead insects. They emptied their waterskins, and continued towards the lake.

Very pleased over her newest acquisitions, she noticed the strange occurance while studying them, "How curious. It seems something is affecting the wildlife here, it may be worth investigating the source."

For the rest of the ride, Jeshikah would periodically let out a sigh of boredom. The jumping fish startled Jeshikah, who jumped in turn. She pondered the applications of Orn's Bane in cellular regeneration experiments.

Jeshikah is not at home on the open road and defers to whatever the group wants. She will set up her tend and undress only once inside and obscured from the world, she has privacy issues. On the off time, she will continue to think about the applications of Orn's Bane while absentmindedly humming the flat and off-key songs of her homeland. If possible, bathing and proper hygiene in private. Oh, and helping with the ward of course.

"Jeshickah," she called out suddenly. Waiting only to be acknowledged, she continued. "You will assist Akisha? Akisha create ward, keep predators away. Jeshickah familiar with barriers? Rituals?" Blinking impassively as Jeshickah explained, Akisha started to draw in the dirt. First, a circle, a hands length wide. It was followed by a square around the edges, than a diamond around that, and a diamond encasing that, and so on. "Circle is safe." She pointed toward the center. "Square barrier. Every square, new aspect of barrier. Stack aspects, stronger ward. But wrong aspects make weak ward. Or no ward. Akisha show. Jeshickah and Akisha use fire aspects. Beasts fear fire. Not come near." This continued for some time; Akisha would draw into an ever complicating diagram, explaining what each stroke meant in her own broken speech. She finally stood and stared at Jeshickah, the strange mask covering clear eye contact. "First, build real fire on circle. Then, whatever Akisha draw, Jeshickah draw. Then, Jeshickah focus energies on Akisha, and Akisha does the rest." Satisfied that the woman understood, for she had certainly not gotten the impression that Jeshickah was slow, they began.

The blood rushed to her ears as Akisha called her name, oh how exciting, interaction! She hadn't even noticed the informal use of her name! Agreeing to help and nodding eagerly, Jeshikah absorbed the knowledge Akisha was sharing. When they began, she followed the instruction to the letter, the practice solidifying the knowledge in her brain.

Jeshikah awoke groggy, slow to act and think. The insects and their incessant noise had troubled her sleep. "How terrible and un-ladylike to drag one's feet", she thought. Jeshikah took the 1 hour to quickly eat and take a power nap.

"There was a story of a bear..."

After a moment of reflection on Rook's story, Doctor DeGrogoch shared her professional analysis, "What a silly bear".

CaptainCharisma
2017-07-31, 04:45 PM
It promised to be a very dreary sort of day; the flat gray of the sky with clouds indistinguishable from one another promised a full day of rain. Akisha silently packed her bedroll and took a moment to make sure her saddlebags interior had remained free of moisture. She took particular care to check through a large tome, eyes scanning it for signs of wet parchment or loose bindings. Good. The ward still held, although she would have to recharge it at dark, lest the rain stand a chance at damaging it.

Her own things packed, Akisha settled herself down next to the fire. She rubbed her hands together and held them before the warmth, allowing it to radiate into her muscle and bone. Certainly, she was no stranger to moisture; one does not live their life in a swamp and stay dry. The air, however, was not as warm, and the parts of her that had become damp were quickly stealing away her body heat. It would be a long day, and the mud would keep them from getting good time.

When the others looked as if they were ready, Akisha pocketed the ember ward Jeshickah and herself had constructed the night before. The slight bit of warmth it gave off would help through the day. She rode silently, impassive reptilian face showing little to no emotion to her companions, unversed as they were with her race. If she had any thoughts, she certainly kept them to herself...

Akisha votes cautious pace, due to possibility of the mud causing the horses to slip.
Full rations for the day.
She will still take the explorer role.
She does not care about direction, however she will point out that she can likely guide them past common dangers associated with marsh/swamplands.

Also, the ward is on Akishas person. It will have 2 days left at night time break. @Lacco, if you think it gets cold enough from the rain to put me into -dice, lemme know. If it does, I'm going to half rations, cause of a slowed metabolic rate xD

XIII
2017-07-31, 07:37 PM
"Oh how I do adore a cloudy sky, I hope it brings us a nice storm."

Lank
2017-08-02, 08:19 PM
Gunnar packed up his things and loaded up his horse. He wished he could have a sleep in but he knew that won't get him paid. Mounted his horse after he had eaten and followed at the back of the party.*

*Connection issues.

So for some reason when I try to make my next post the page doesn't load and I am stuck there for ages. Seems to be fixed now but I have been active for the last few days just unable to post.

*I am not sure if private messages can have rolls.
Travel: Cautious
Rations: Full
Role: None, (going to hold off on hunting for a bit)
Direction: into the marsh

Lacco
2017-08-07, 01:26 PM
2st Springfeast 893

Morning March

Luckily, the deities of weather did not listen to Jeshickah's wish today. The light rain continued in its attempts to get into their clothes and under them, without getting stronger. And they continued their travels, as they tried to find a crossing - to enter the Blightfield marsh.

The river was flowing fast, full of dirt - the rain did not help them to determine the depth. It took them most of the morning to find a suitable crossing - the water seemed to be shallow enough for their horses to enter - Gunnar tried it out with the haft of his halberd.

On the opposite side they saw the marsh - covered in fine mist. Suddenly, a gust of wind revealed the decaying landscape, with its dead trees and unpleasant grayish boulders.

To west, the river narrowed - and sped up. As far as they could see, there was no other crossing.

If you decide to cross the river now, it's REF against Riding.

1 success is necessary to pass the river.
Failure means you lose something or take damage falling.
Fumble means you lose your horse.

XIII
2017-08-08, 06:46 AM
From time to time Jeshikah would look to the sky, searching in every direction for darker clouds filled with the promise of a storm. They never came. Jeshikah eyed the river nervously, her beak darting back and forth. She clumsily readjusted herself on the saddle, "What shall we do? I am no gifted rider, I can barely sit on the back of this unstable beast as it is. I am, however, intrigued by that lovely-looking swamp. What curiosities we may uncover, I wonder. Oh, I rhymed, how delightful."

Taqukaq
2017-08-08, 07:51 AM
Rook patted his glorious beast on her mane. He looked towards the crossing point. He looked towards the woods in the north. He thought about any idea that could come to mind.

Hm.... i have three additional solutions other than the basic, "try your luck crossing". We have the woods to the north. We can try to make a large raft for us and our horses. Not all at once mind you. Granted that will be time consuming and could still posdibly fall apart because i dont know how to make a raft. Next solution is to head back the way we came until the river ends and go that way, again time consuming. We can also just continue into the woods.im decent on a horse... though i could stand to gain had i paid more attention to my lessons.

Lank
2017-08-09, 06:16 AM
"Fortune favors and the bold. The sooner we cross that river the sooner I get paid" Gunnar said bluntly. He steered his horse to be first to cross the river. Gunnar was a fairly confident rider, having been use to travelling on horseback most of his life. Whilst his contracts mostly came from city-folk they would often go into hiding with their families outside the cities, and riding was always quicker than walking.

[roll0]

Taqukaq
2017-08-09, 07:51 AM
Rook grinned at Gunnar, no way Rook was going to let himself look the fool here. Rook urged his beast onward across the river.

Across it is!

[roll0] oh thank god a 10. XD

Lacco
2017-08-09, 03:19 PM
2st Springfeast 893
Morning March
River Crossing

Gunnar and Rook entered the river without hesitation - it almost looked like Rook was trying to race Gunnar, to overcome him before he reaches the other bank.

And suddenly they heard two large splashing sounds...

...turning back, they saw Akisha and Jeshickah's horses standing up from the river, their riders submerged...

...and they emerged above water in a moment.

Her first thought was that Hussar must have slipped - but the thought was quickly forgotten - the water was extremely cold and she felt it even through her cloak and her thick skin.

And then she saw two items, both just far enough for her to reach just for one.

Her backpack, containing her notes...

...and the reins of her horse, a quick way to get above the surface...

...and she had to decide quickly which one to grasp.

If you decide to "burn" morale, you don't have to choose.

However, the cold water will put you below the "comfortable" temperature level until you dry yourself. So you will be slowing down.

The animal she rode was even more unstable in the water. What was worst - she followed Akisha - and saw the lizardwomen disappear in the dark waters!

She spurred her horse to get as close as possible, forgetting for a moment she was also in the river...

...and her horse slipped too.

In a moment which seemed to last eternity, she dove below the dark waters, which seemed to close above her.

She only had a split second to decide what to grasp - she noticed her satchel's strap and her horses' reins.

...she stretched her arm and grasped...

If you burn morale, you don't have to choose.

All in all, she'll get wet.

Taqukaq
2017-08-09, 05:10 PM
Rook turns around at the sound of the splash. His eyes widen suddenly, his personal race against Gunnar temporarily forgotten. He calls out.

Jeshicka! Akisha! Why....am i not surprised... ****e. Gunnar shall we assist the ladies?

Rook reads the situation in the river. If the river is trecherous and their lives are in danger than Rook will take out his rope and find something heavy to tie it to in order to throw it to them. However if its just poor horsemanship on their part and they took a splash in the river Rook will chuckle and dismount his horse to try and help calm the women's beasts when they get close enough.

Ah, i have a story about this. From some people i met up north...

Rook trails off, deciding that mayhap he had shared enough unrequested stories for now. Though they may think it was a fictional story rather than a story about his history, he knew it was unwise to give everything without recieving. He got the ball rolling with his 1st story, so he has decided that he will try to get to know these people during camp today.

Lank
2017-08-10, 06:11 PM
Gunnar sighed as he grabbed his rope from his climbing kit. He wasn't really sure what to do but he sure as hell wasn't going to go back into the river and risk putting himself in the same situation. He tied a knot to his saddle and proceeded to attempt to throw a line out for his two soggy companions.
"Forget your possessions and grab on. I don't want to be fishing out corpses" he yelled gruffly.
Gunnar looked at Rook and softly said "You would think a bloody Lizardfolk would be good at swimming".

CaptainCharisma
2017-08-10, 08:08 PM
She had her reservations about crossing the river; while she knew how to ride, there had scarcely been the need for her to cross a river on horseback before. Still, half the group was already well on the way to the other side. Without a word, she nudged her heels into Hus'sars sides, urging him forward and into the water.

As the water started to reach the stallions belly and her feet, Akisha was taken back by just how cold the water actually was. She was used to a slightly warmer climate, where snow melts did little to feed the rivers and the water was a touch warmer. Had she been a mammal, Akisha likely would have started shivering. As her horse forged deeper into the water, the current pushed stronger and stronger against them. Ahead, the rushing water formed a pocket of almost glass-like calmness; she didn't notice that until it was too late. The swirling eddy of still water, created by some unseen change in the riverbed, put her horse off balance. With his rear end being buffeted by the force of a flowing river, his body suddenly turned perpendicular to the flow. Akisha had been leaning into the current to help with Hus'sars balance, and with the sudden change in orientation, she fell from the saddle.

Suddenly submerged, Akisha was being pushed by the current while her horse spun about, following the tug of the reins. Despite the rapidly worsening situation, Akisha did not panic. Her knees were still around Hus'sars barrel, and she squeezed with all her might so as not to be dislodged. She tossed aside the reins in favor of blinding groping for the saddle horn. Luckily, she found it almost immediately. Stiff fingers gripped it, and after several agonizing seconds, the lizard witch managed to haul herself out of the water, soaked, cold, but once again steady in the saddle. Finding the reins once more, she silently guided Hus'sar to the opposite shore, immediately dropping off and checking the security of her things. Then, without a second thought, she began to strip off her drenched clothing. Not all of it; a simple shirt still covered her upper body, but she wore nothing else. It would not do well for her to stay wet, and thus cold. She would have to dry things by a fire the first chance she got.

Burned moral; down to six. Also, yes, she just stripped. Akisha is very much reptile, however. Thus, there's very little for a non-lizardfolk to see :P Akishas particular subspecies of lizardfolk are not as sexually dimorphic as mammals would be. Plus, she doesn't give a damn.

Taqukaq
2017-08-10, 09:12 PM
Rook decides not to toss his rope out as it didnt seem serious. His armor also seemed to like drowning people and he would rather not deal with that so he stays put unless things take a turn for the worse. Rook chuckles at Gunnars statement. Rook utters something back, softly for Gunnars easrs.

I knew we were going to be the bodyguards during this but i didnt think we would have to save them from everything. I get the feeling this is going to be a major pain in the ass.

XIII
2017-08-10, 09:30 PM
Jeshikah silently bargained with the cosmos to keep her head above the cold waters, being as bargaining with the horse had not worked thus far. When Akisha went under, Jeshikah squealed! The poor cold-blooded thing! She assumed, of course. She wondered how the cold would begin to affect the lovely lizard lady as the water filled her mask. Oh, bother. I've fallen as well. Her lenses did nothing to help visibility, she could only make out the various leather straps that represented her priorities. Well, at least the horse wasn't about to float away, and she had some breath left in her. Satchel it is.

Taqukaq
2017-08-11, 05:14 AM
Rook hops off his horse and removed his armor that would weigh him down if he had to go into the water. It seems he had. Jeshicka completely ignored the horse, Rook will have to retrieve it. He whistles to the horse and tries soothing it with his voice as he makes his way over to the horse to grab it.

Know peace, magnificent beast. Lets get you to dry land.

Lacco
2017-08-14, 11:15 AM
2st Springfeast 893
Morning March
River Crossing

The draft was too strong and Jeshickah had no strength to struggle against it. Now, holding her satchel, she was swept under water and pulled awaz from her companions, trying to keep her head above water, struggling with one hand...

...until she grabbed something. A branch. She managed to stand up - the draft was weaker here, but she felt she was soaking wet. Her companions watched her from around 30 yards afar and Gunnar was coming closer, with a piece of rope...

And after few minutes, they were all on the other side of the river.

Akisha stood up from her backpack, clad only in her shirt. Her movements were now slower, as if more calculated, but otherwise she seemed unshaken.

The things...

Her innards tingled a bit.

...they were on their correct positions. Not...

She felt her arms heavy - and legs slow.

...too wet. But still...

She felt her heartbeat slow down - not too much, but still enough for her to notice.

...her journal and her work seemed untouched. And as soon as she removed the wet clothes, she felt a bit of relief. Once dry, she would quickly be able to regain lost temperature.

The cloak will dry quickly now - and she will warm herself by sitting on her horse (they are, after all quite warm). You get the -1 for cold until next encounter; but then it's assumed she's dry and warm enough.

There will be a very small risk connected to not drying yourself properly and even stripping to the slightly wet shirt. But only very small.

Water flowed out of Jeshickah's mask - it took few moments for it all to pour out. The others watched her - it was a bit disconcerning watch the tall, thin figure in a mask, which stood there for few moments.

Jeshickah examined her body, as well as her equipment calmly. Few bruises, no broken bones. No wounds. No shock.

Possible hypothermia? No, it's not cold enough. But cough and headache could follow if she stays in her clothes and does not dry. Luckily, some of the herbs could help her stave off the symptoms or even the illness itself...

And the march... it offered so many possibilities - the flora there could do wonders for her!

Still, the best way would be a fire... now, or at the evening?

There is a risk associated with going on without properly drying the clothes or changing.

Rook donned his armour, but only after he squeezed water out of his clothes - no use getting the mail rusted. He looked around, watching the surroundings for possible hazards.

The marsh would be a test of his abilities - as a scout he was responsible for finding out what dangers lie ahead...

...and while the marsh did not look dangerous at all, he assumed it was just one large threat.

The lizardwomen and the masked one did not try to get dry at first - that was strange. The lizardwomen went to check her belongings, while the masked one did not remove her wet clothes - she just examined her body, as a doctor would.

He stored this observation into his mind.

If you only squeeze the water out of clothes, it will be a bit cold - there is a risk associated with it. Your other choice is fire, and drying all clothes.

Gunnar watched the trio. He was the only one who only wet his leather boots - and the water did nothing to the well-insulated leather.

He waited for a moment before turning towards the marsh, as if to state his interest in leaving.

As they stood there, Gunnar's patience was tested.

They were losing valuable time. And who knew what else!

What if someone else was already going to the barrow? And what if it was already looted?

He tried to stay calm, collected, and was quite able to do so - it wouldn't work well if the two died of cold two days into their expedition. He might still need them.

No changes, he's fine at the moment.

The bank they were on did not look bad at all - they expected marsh, but mostly it was just wetland. But the mist slowly crept over them...

2st Springfeast 893
Afternoon March
Somewhere within Blightfield Marsh

The marsh quickly lost its charm.

First, the insects. While they did not approach them due to the pulsing charcoal Akisha held in hands, the buzzing was ever present. Gnats, flies and other insects were flying around, scurrying away...

...and then the smell. Rot. Mold. Old, wet wood. And the everpresent smell of death. The food they ate during lunch tasted badly - the smell destroyed any pleasant taste it could have.

There were no paths. No firm ground too - few times they had to double back, just to evade a black pit of tar, or badly-smelling water, deeper than Gunnar was able to try with his halberd.

And then there was the... river.

A slowly-flowing and twelve yards wide. Deep. Black. The water smelled of decay, and they saw things moving below the surface. There was a bridge.

The thing was old, wooden. The ropes were mostly rotten. But it lead to the other side. It looked unstable, and it slowly moved, even when there was no wind. There was no crossing visible.

On the other side, they saw something - it looked like small buildings or standing stones, but in a distance.

The bridge creaked and croaked.

Taqukaq
2017-08-14, 05:32 PM
Rook came back out holding Jeshickas horse for her. After he returns it to her he tries to wring his clothes out as much as he can until they are damn and wont rust his chainmail. He took his mental note of their priorities...

Rook knew these type of people well, they always took their materials, their work far more seriously than they took their own or even other lives. They always guarded their secrets, luckily many of them were themselves stupid and nwver think that a barbaric body guard would know how to read, write and study. Rook has learned quite a bit from arogant researchers who thought he was too dumb to understand. Rook stopped and question himself... how many of these type of people have i guarded? How many have i been forced to kill...one pattern was always constant, everything around these type of people died.

These were just basic observations, there could be another readon for their disregard for life. They may have tools vital for us successfully accomplishing our mission. Still seems like a ****ty reason to abandon a good horse. Rook hoped his make shift wringing would do for now for it was not the time to stop. If rook was still wet ge would place any loose dry fabric he had on tge major contact points, like the back and shoulders to try to keep moisture from his chainmail.

Rook looked at tge bridge. He laughed loudly as it came into view, it was a sarcastic laugh, the kind if laugh you make when you realize things were going to suck before it even starts.

Well! I dont believe my eyes! Some good news! A weak rickety bridge thst couldnt support cat let alone armored people and their horses . I knew we should have stayed in the woods.

Rook, was slightly agitated but it wasnt really noticeable. His sarcasm wasnt bitter it was mostly just an attempt to liven up the mood. He was however irritated with the river crossing and now this river.

Look at the denizens of the river. This one will have company if something goes amiss. The bridge is.....disconcerting at best. I recommend we just take the extra time to go around, that bridge will not hold us.

Lank
2017-08-15, 07:48 AM
The sight of the bridge was at first a relief for Gunnar, but upon closer inspection of its condition his relief was replaced with anger. "What kind of imbecile builds a wooden bridge in a freakin marsh? It is almost like they want it to rot and collapse. A little bit of stone could have gone a long way, but no, these dam southerners always have to cut corners and take the easiest option" Gunnar ranted. "If you give me a few mintues I will try and find some tracks, surely we are not the only ones who have refused to cross such a poorly maintained bridge".

Rolling Perception/Tracking I am guessing? Attempting to find human tracks.
3d10 target number 6

CaptainCharisma
2017-08-15, 04:38 PM
Miserable wasn't exactly the word to describe the ride. Certainly for the others, the oppressive moisture, drone of insects and ever-present smell would likely remind them of anything good, but to Akisha it was much different. To her, all these commonly perceived annoyances were more comforting than anything simply due to familiarity. Spend and entire life in a swamp, and you don't notice the smell anymore. The insistent buzzing of the insects becomes background noise, like crickets at twilight. Life can be seen where others only see rot and death. Not to mention the oppressive humidity helped trap what warmth there was, and coupled with her warm-blooded horse, it wouldn't be long before she shook off the effects of her dip in the river. That being said...

... There did seem to be much more of the 'rot and death' here than what Akisha was used to. She surveyed the land impassively, noting small but profound differences between this and her home. The scent was more sulfurous than her home, and there was no chorus of frogs that could usually be heard in the spring. Fewer trees, too, and there was less marsh-grass to stabilize the ever damp landscape, creating more dangerous pits and sinkholes. Akisha thought to the name; Blightfield Marsh. Certainly fitting... But what would be the cause? Surely it wasn't naturally this way. Akisha scoured her memory for any bits of information she might have heard about the place, while at the same time comparing unnatural and magical phenomena that she knew existed with the signs she saw around her. Lost in thought, she quietly followed the others, until the procession stopped.

Roused from her mind, Akisha looked upon the rotten bridge and inky water with disgust. What they said was right; that bridge might hold Jesh, and maybe herself, but a large man in armor, let alone a horse? No, it would surely snap and dump them into the black river. Just because her first swim ended benignly doesn't mean her second would. That being said... the buildings on the other side were interesting. Akisha turned her horse toward Jesh, edging Hus'sar closer to her. "Akisha finds the stones interesting. Jesh and Akisha cross alone, perhaps, to explore? Akisha and Jesh lighter. Bridge likely hold, if steps are careful."

Rolls in the roller thread for Occultism, Arcane Theory and History with 2/1/0 for successes. From how I understand it, Occultism is what IS causing a magical effect, while Arcane Theory is what MIGHT be causing it. So figuring it out vs guesswork, essentially.

XIII
2017-08-15, 06:35 PM
Jeshikah wasn't too worried about the water, most of her clothing was water-proof to begin with. It was very convenient as blood and other bodily fluids tend to run off, requiring only minimal cleaning. Her undergarments however would begin to chafe eventually. The cold did not bother her much, she preferred it. Most of her workshops needed to be at lower temperatures to preserve the... Experiments. As she made her way out of the water, she shook the water from her boots.

"Oh, Lady Akisha, I pray the cold waters have not placed a burden on you. I must admit, I know precious little of your kind. In any event, I vote we start a fire sooner rather than later. We'll catch our deaths otherwise, doctor's order."

Jeshikah observed the surrounding marsh with piqued interest, "What wonderful things we may find here," She was ever observant, aloof to anything that wasn't a potential find, always looking for something to bottle, study, and use in her newest endeavors. When the group started going on about the bridge, she started paying attention. In an extra haughty tone, she chastised the bridge's builders "Well, this won't do at all! Have these engineers no shame! A disgrace, through and through. This would never stand back home."

Jeshikah didn't respond for an uncomfortable moment, staring straight at Akisha through her red lenses before responding. "I am not confident in the integrity of the bridge, but I will defer to your judgement on the matter. I am always ready to discover new things. In fact, I have a theory to work on, perhaps this marsh will provide me with the materials I need."

Jeshikah has set her mind on a new experiment

Lacco
2017-08-17, 02:49 PM
2st Springfeast 893
Afternoon March

The air was thick, and even if the wooden bridge swayed a little in the nonexistant wind, the air did not move - and when it did, it brought only smell of rot.

They watched Gunnar as he cautiously walked around, trying to determine if someone else found a way around.

If they did, they left no footprints. After few minutes, Gunnar decided to give it up - there was no chance of finding footprints in the mud.

And then, as he brushed aside some grayish, sickly looking fern with his boot, he noticed a hewed stone, with some letters carved in...

...but he understood absolutely nothing written there. It was either gibberish, or some kind of language he did not understand. Looked rather old.

PER/Tracking was correct. You got 1 success (I rolled in the roll thread).

Rook watched the other side - he did not want to look at the bridge anymore. In one moment, the warm, unpleasant breeze raised the mist for a moment and he was quite sure that the objects on the other side were... graves.

As if there weren't more good news, he saw a human-like figure move there - stumble - just for a moment, before it got covered by the mist again.

Next to him, Akisha stood, lost in thoughts.

She remembered nothing about Blightfield marsh. There had to be some stories, at least, but she could remember none.

The whole situation however reminded her of something. A writing on fragment of certain parchment.

How was it?

"...raised her arms, and called with unholy voice...
...snake-kin they worshipped, and it came...
...shook the sky and brought forth the doom...
...blight forever staining the ground...

There was more... but she remembered nothing more.

But the more she studied her surroundings, the deformed animals, sick plants... the more sure she was that this was work of magic.

Powerful magic. Dark magic. She only needed one more proof...

...and there it was! She picked up one of the sick flowers - one she remembered always condensed... and scratched one of its leathery leaves. The bluish, almost invisible crystals that quickly dissolved in the air. Raw mana.

That meant this whole place was tainted...

Occultism: This is definitely magic. And you'll gain more taint here, as the mana is rather abundant here.
Arcane Theory: It is an arcane secret. You have the first clue. If you decide to pursue it...

Jeshickah waited for Akisha's response.

The lizardwomen seemed to ignore the effects of cold water - after some time riding she already demonstrated that she was able to keep her body warm.

Jeshickah, on the other hand, felt the cold water still on her body... and it did not seem to go away...

Taqukaq
2017-08-17, 03:39 PM
Rook's eyed narrowed at the stumbling humanoid figure. At first he though to keep it to himself. A paranoid delusion... he sees plenty of dark things. Often times his eyes playing tricks on him. However, ge was scout, he may as well voice his concerns.

Hm... graves on the otherside. Im not really too keen on joining them either. Ha!

Is...is that a person... i saw someone, in the mist. But they have disappeared in it. This place...is wrong, i suggest we be on our guard...Complacency is a dead man's tool.

Rook glares at the opposite side of the river.

CaptainCharisma
2017-08-17, 06:02 PM
It was this moment that Akisha became visibly quite agitated; odd, as the lizard woman usually showed little emotion in either speech or body language. Her thickly scaled tail thrashed back and forth as she rubbed the mana crystals between her finger and thumb. Both eyes narrowed to near slits, and when Rook said something about seeing someone, her head turned toward the river so fast an onlooker might think she'd given herself whiplash.

"Rook is right," she hissed softly. "This place... maybe a little dangerous. Maybe very dangerous. Ancient magic used here, dark, twisted. Warps this place, make it wrong. Mana so heavy it covers everything. See? Look close." Akisha held out the near-dead flower, the tiny crystaline mana still dusting it's leaves. "Not good sign. Magic bound to the land, but untamed. Free to affect everything, no direction. Just... warp. Blight." Akisha once again looked toward the structures on the other side. "Akisha very interested in across the river. Map mention village?" She looked at Rook pensively, cautious but thoughtful. Her initial adrenaline was wearing off as she started to think about the possibilities... "Akisha thinks bridge too unstable, but make way back around. Stones might offer clues..."

Last she knew, Rook had the map.

Taqukaq
2017-08-17, 09:47 PM
Rook takes the map out and gives it a cursory glance. He purses his lips and gives a tight shake of the head.
He holds the map out to Akisha and points out on the map, the only set of buildings or what looks like a village is on the north side of the river, in the woods, not the marsh.

As far as this map shows, there isnt really a large river in the marshes.... unless this is the same river thst we crossed earlier which... i highly doubt. As you see, there seem to be buildings up here, next to this... what would you call it?

Monument or ruins on the north side of the main river in the woods. Unless this is one of the tertiary rivers that stab into the marsh from the main river, if that was the case we would only need to head south to get around it.

It this was from the main river i recommend we boil our replenished water from the main river here on out incase any taint seeps out into it. Beyond the buildings in the woods, im not seeing anything in the marsh, but if i recall correctly i think this area may be largely unexplored.

Lank
2017-08-19, 04:37 AM
"Found something over here!" Gunnar called out.
He was interrupted by Rook calling out having seen something. Gunnar was more interested in that over the stone he found.

He clutched his halberd a little tighter. "If something dwells in this marsh it is of little threat to us".

With all this activity going on Gunnar decided to keep a lookout whilst the others went about their business. If they were going to get jumped he didn't want to be the first one to go down. He always shot a quick glance at the bridge just to make sure nothing felt brave enough to cross.

XIII
2017-08-24, 07:28 PM
Jeshikah looks across the bridge lazily, scanning for movement when Rook mentioned it, quickly satisfied that there was nothing there. "I would be interested in finding the cause of this blight, maybe even experiment with these tainted materials to determine if they hold any additional properties in this state. Not exciting, but interesting at least. And please, correct me if I am wrong, but if the water here itself is tainted I doubt boiling it would remove said taint. This is not simply dirty water, perhaps a more unconventional means of purification may be possible? Speaking of which, not to be a bother, but I am very cold." Jeshikah had begun to shiver, the cold sticking to her bones.

The sound of discovery had Jeshikah's feet moving faster than they had previously done since the beginning of their journey. She looked over Akisha's shoulder, offering her own insight to bolster the lizard-woman's.

Taqukaq
2017-08-24, 08:56 PM
Rook shook his head, correcting the exiled noble woman.

I wasnt talking about this river. I was saying if this river is connected to the clean river we crossed earlier then we may want to biol that water. It may not be tainted like this water but it still cant hurt to be safe.

Rook emphesized this phrase by getting his spear and shield ready if necessary.

XIII
2017-08-25, 01:20 AM
Jeshikah's beak shot to Rook instantly at his mention of safety, "Oh, but it can hurt very much to be too safe! Why, I once knew a duke so cautious it killed his son! As it goes, he was poisoned by a rival, as is tradition, and I just so happen to be in the area, selling some remedies you see, when they called for a doctor. So paranoid they were with their checks and precautions! I never saw the boy alive. Took all their time worrying about me. You know, you should always trust a doctor! Foolish little nobles. Lovely city, they had the most charming fountain square, excellent meat pies. Anyhow, where were we? Ah, yes. I am cold."

Lacco
2017-08-29, 02:22 PM
2st Springfeast 893
Afternoon March

As Rook and Jeshickah discussed about taking water from river, Gunnar turned around. He could no longer see the river bank - and even if they decided to backtrack, he would only guess which way was the correct one.

There were no audible sounds, save for the creaking of the wooden bridge, the soft splashing of water, the buzzing of insects just few feet of them, and their own voices. The mist seemed to swallow all sounds.

The runes were known to her - old Varingian script. It was only a simple message, but it took her some time to translate it, as the knowledge of old Varingian script helped only partially - the words themselves were phonetic transcript of words, not their correct spelling - something Jeshickah pointed out.

"Travelers beware, you are about to enter the Primrose Field Cementery, where Karrak the Unholy lies in deep slumber. Do not disturb his sleep or you will bear consequences."

The message was older than the bridge, definitely. Also, they never heard about Primrose Field.

And, suddenly, they heard a loud grunt from somewhere afar, from behind the cementery. A deep roaring sound, followed by loud thump - but they could only guess the distance. The mist did something to all sounds...

XIII
2017-08-29, 07:33 PM
Jeshikah was too excited to care about ominous roars and thuds, those things would present themselves with no encouragement, in time. What was infinitely more interesting was Karrak the UNHOLY. What made him unholy? Superstitious folk tend to call more advanced sciences witchcraft or sorcery and such. OR perhaps he truly wielded darker magics. In any event, Jeshikah was sold! "That bridge doesn't seem so ramshackle after all, once you look closely enough. Come Akisha, secrets await us, lest you leave them all for me." Jeshikah added the last part playfully, hoping to encourage the lizard woman into following her across the obviously dangerous bridge. Whether she did so or not, Jeshikah made her way across the bridge with her satchel, bag, and cane.

Lank
2017-08-29, 08:20 PM
"That didn't sound good at all. Perhaps we should head back, we aren't getting paid enough to kill whatever that was". Gunnar didn't look frightened he more just appeared impatient.
This marsh has been nothing but trouble since we entered, it was a mistake to come this way".

Gunnar clutches his halberd, whatever it was making those thumps he wants to be a good few distance away from it if it come to a fight.

Lacco
2017-09-01, 05:22 AM
2st Springfeast 893
Afternoon March
Primrose Field Cementery, within Blightfield Marsh

While Gunnar watched the surroundings, Akisha studied the stone and Rook stood guard, Jeshickah just walked towards the bridge.

The sound it made when she first stepped on it made the others turn towards her - the creaking sound was loud, but also sounded as if the bridge, tortured by age, wetness and Jeshickah's weight would collapse.

It did not. Even when she slowly walked first half of it.

The bridge creaked and swayed under Jeshickah's feet, but it was firm enough to carry her.

The others still stood on the non-interesting side when she was halfway to the cementery. For some reason, she seemed to notice some movement up ahead - and also sounds.

Coughing. Human coughing, and it did not sound healthy. Pierced lung, was her first idea.

And then the deep sound, breathing? The breath was strange - wheezing, but extremely deep...

There was movement ahead of her - in the mist, a large shape moved. To her left, where Rook saw someone move, she saw a smaller movement. Maybe a rodent or something...

The mist rolled over them, and for a moment, they could barely manage Jeshickah on the bridge...

Taqukaq
2017-09-01, 05:12 PM
Thriced time ****! We dont need this bull****. We cant let her there alone.

Rook walked up to the bridge and shook his head. He knew it wouldnt hold him. He propped his spear on the ground for balance and ge set one foot on tge bridge and one foot off tge bridge. He slowly put all his weight on it to see if it would give, keeping his spear there propped on the ground to catch him incase the bridge gives at his first step.

Lacco
2017-09-02, 02:45 PM
As Rook moved onto the bridge, it started swaying even more.

Still, it did not collapse - and after few moments the swaying became less strong...

No need to roll yet.

Do I understand correctly that Jeshickah continues and Rook carefully follows?

Who is guarding the horses?

Lank
2017-09-05, 08:54 AM
"A full loaded pack horse will easily weigh more than 600 kilos. Plus me leading them I can guarantee that the bridge will break. Get your asses back over here I don't plan on leaving our horses behind".

XIII
2017-09-05, 09:52 AM
Jeshikah felt compelled to find the source of the human coughing, perhaps someone had been mauled by an animal? Were her companions saying something? No matter. She certainly wasn't going to run on in blindly and become a casualty herself, that would not be wise at all. First things first, focus on whatever is being rude in these bushes. "I'd rather you came out slowly, anything else may end badly." Oh, where are my constituents..? Her petite voice didn't carry far, but it would be enough for the immediate area. All the while, the good doctor thought of any creative ways to smoke out the enemy, she dropped her bag to her side and grabbed a plumbata with her off-hand, keeping the cane at the ready as well. I wonder if I could concoct something...

Jeshikah ponders... Could she create something that creates smoke/noise/light with her materials to either scare or draw out the nefarious bush-rustler?

Lacco
2017-09-05, 02:52 PM
2st Springfeast 893
Afternoon March

The cementery looked rather peaceful. Abandoned, overgrown, but peaceful. Were it not for the squishing sounds coming from below her boots, and the smell of decay, it could be rather pleasant place.

On the other hand, she was almost sure she heard someone alive here. "Who... *cough* goes there...? Be wary... *cough*"

It came from behind a large tombstone.

The rumbling noises from afar continued - it sounded as loud thumps followed by deep, nasal breath, however... she could not see anyone. How could she hear the breathing...?

The crazy doctor entered the cementery - and he almost lost her from sight, as new wave of mist rolled over them.

Rook moved slowly to the other side of the bridge, and after few more steps he finally stood on the firm ground... well, firmer ground.

The nearest tombstone had the name of the poor sod that lay under it already washed away by the tide of time and filth, but it looked... rather expensive.

But it was not the tombstone that worried Rook. The loud thumping, coming from behind the tombs... was something more worrying.

They watched Akisha disappear under another wave of mist, and Rook cross the bridge to relative safety of the other side.

Akisha stood calmly, and started to notice a pattern - the rolls of mist came in relatively regular intervals.

Gunnar grew impatient. Potential gains from the cementery did not look as interesting as potential gains from the tomb of Siviniak. But his companions chose to enter the old cementery...

XIII
2017-09-05, 03:02 PM
Going through her inventory mentally, she decided she did not have enough materials to put together a distraction. With no other course of action, she shouted, "To arms! Possible wounded!" Jeshikah shouted with her mousy voice, hoping they could pinpoint her by the sound. She drew her sword from the cane and kept the plumbata in her off-hand, taking up a defensive stance. She tried speaking to the disembodied voice. "I am a doctor. Normally I would not recommend speaking, so please try to keep your answers short. What am I in danger from?"

Taqukaq
2017-09-05, 05:08 PM
****, they are coming up from the tombstones? Damn! Gotta find Jeshicka! Rook solences his thoughts and he takes out his spear and shield, trying to hastily but carefully make his way towards Jeshicka. He just barely keeps her in sight. He could focus on whats going on with the tombstone later. Rook took care to avoid any tombstones whilst he made his way towards Jeshicka. If he made it to her safely he would spin around and bring his spear and shield up, guarding Jeshicka and her patient.

Looks like the bear is back to being a damned fool again. Lets try to not make a hanit of splitting up. Impatience is a dead man's tool. I refuse to become a carpenter today.

Lacco
2017-09-07, 11:36 AM
An answer came to Jeshickah - quiet, weak, followed by cough.

"Danger... not from me. *Cough* it's... *cough*... huge... *cough*... my compan*cough*..."

And then, silence followed. The thumping sound continued - and it was getting closer. Suddenly, both Jeshickah and Rook saw it - a large shape, taller than the tombs, moved behind them.

XIII
2017-09-07, 01:09 PM
"I request assistance!" the mousy voice called through the fog to her comrades as she took up a fighting stance, attempting to be prepared for what was to come.

Taqukaq
2017-09-07, 01:47 PM
Rook mutters something to himself under his breath. He faces the enormous threat and raised his shoeld and spear at the threat. He is silent, he looks back at Jeshicka's right leg for an instant and then he grins, shaking his head. Its always good to have a backup plan but he wasnt that monster anymore... right?

Lank
2017-09-11, 12:36 AM
Gunnar was feeling pretty useless minding the horses. He looked around for something to tie the horses to so that he might be able to lend assistance. "Surrounded by bloody fools".

Lacco
2017-09-11, 03:27 PM
2st Springfeast 893
Afternoon March

The mist moved again, revealing more of the hidden threat. Whatever that... thing... in front of them was, it was large, and was now stomping on the ground. It looked vaguely humanoid - it had two arms, two legs, but it was strangely deformed, with small head, and prolonged arms that contrasted with too thick body.

Jeshickah did not hear any response from the mysterious voice, but heard something else - a crushing, sickly wet sound - every time the thing stomped its feet.

Rook waited - but the enemy was still far enough - too far to be reached by spear, too close for comfort.

On the other side of the bridge, Gunnar tied the horses to a nearby tree trunk - the one that looked at least vaguely firm, just as Akisha stood up from the stone she studied.

Taqukaq
2017-09-11, 04:05 PM
Rook calls out to the other two as he stands guard and watches the creatures movement. Trying to gain any information by studying its movements. Was it capable of bursts of speed? Was it decomposing? Being in the decaying moisture of this dead swamp, he can guess it isnt inhumanly hast and would most likely have decayed quite a bit unless it was adapted to the envirinment like Aikisha.

Rook hated making guesses, he watched to see if it was openly hostile. His voice was deep and gritty, used to yelling out at idiotic people who run off without their bodyguard.

We have a visitor! I would rather have the best advantage over this creature incase its hostile!

XIII
2017-09-11, 08:20 PM
"Oh, well there goes the casualty. One less problem." Jeshikah flicked the plumbata in her hand to a throwing position and let it fly!

Red Dice! Throwing plumbata at it's stupid head. I'm not completely sure on ranged weapons but my pool comes from AIM, right?

Lacco
2017-09-12, 12:49 PM
2st Springfeast 893
Afternoon March

As soon as Rook shouted, he felt the atmosphere change. The... whatever it was, turned its head, as if it tried to guess where the voice came from. He definitely did catch its attention. It moved slowly, turning its whole upper body towards the sound of his voice.

It was not fast. Just large.

How large - that was proven by Jeshickah when she threw her dart at the figure.

Behind them, Gunnar successfully bound the horses to the tree trunk, and moved towards the bridge, followed slowly by Akisha.

They all watched as Jeshickah threw the dart. It glided up, in elegant curve, and started to descend...

...and they heard the "thud" as it hit the creature. In the leg.

It was larger, then expected - and stood further, but the mist did twist the distance and while Jeshickah aimed at its head, the dart landed at its feet. One quick calculation and Jeshickah guessed that it was taller than 12 feet, definitely...

...and it started to walk towards them.

Your maximum missile pool consists of proficiency (Plumbata: 2) and aim (average of AGI+PER: 6).

Once you ready your ranged weapon, you gain Proficiency dice into the pool. If you decide to aim, you also add Aim.
In this case, you have a range penalty of -5, so you need to aim.

Jeshickah's throw: [roll0] TN 7
Creature's evasion: none. It's surprised and does not expect any attack.
Hit location: lower leg

Level 0 wound to lower leg.

XIII
2017-09-12, 09:45 PM
Jeshikah watched the dart fall to the ground through the disorienting mist, "Hm, noted. I am open to suggestions on how to defeat a 12 foot tall foe."

Lank
2017-09-15, 11:37 PM
"That thing is huge. Our weapons are going to be like pins in it. Fall back and attack with range!"
Gunnar moved forward. He was going to head in and take a position near Rook. He hoped that if it came to melee his range on his halberd will keep his foe at bay.

Taqukaq
2017-09-16, 01:07 AM
Rook nodded, keeping his spear up. Luckily he had range with the spear, worse case scenario he could just outright defend while everyone attacked. Rook may be a beast of a man, but if that thing fell on him... it would be over, no he dhould dtick with dpear and range. Just because some of us throw caution to the wind doesnt mean we all should.

Depending on how far the monstrosity is, Rook will either prepare to engage cautiously with soear if its too close to ready his javelin. If the thing is far enough away then Rook will jab his spear into the ground and ready one of his javelins. Then he will aim and throw it at the creature.

Depending on its reaction, he may repeat the action. If his javelin has no effect he wont throw another less he waste the others too.

Lacco
2017-09-18, 12:48 PM
2st Springfeast 893
Afternoon March

Gunnar and Rook stood side to side. Gunnar had his halberd ready, and Rook was prepared to shield Jeshickah, who stood behind them. They watched as the large figure took exactly five steps before emerging from the mist.

It was larger than it looked like. It stood there, at least fifteen feet tall, its small, bead-like eyes watching them. It did not seem to recognize them at first - it just looked at each of them, and at the graves around them.

It had long, muscular arms, longer than its torso. It wore something like apron made of leather, or skin, held together by rope and large collection of bones. In its hand, it held a stone axe - it was not sharp, just a stone on stick... but in its hands it looked like formidable weapon. Its skin was scarred, sickly gray, and its face was pig-like, with nose resembling a snout, and set of ugly, large teeth.

It smiled. It looked at them, and smiled, a realization dawned on its face. And then they heard it.

A low voice, almost whispering - from behind them. They did not understand the words - only the intent. It washed over them, almost like the mist - it flowed around and through them - cold and dark, and both men were glad they did not understand these words, for it was obvious that dark powers were at work.

Glancing back, they saw Akisha, her hand pointed at the creature, her eyes watching it with hatred, her words flowing...almost as if they meant to attack it.

Jeshickach, who stood behind the two, heard the words. And understood. A curse, dark curse. Killing curse. Akisha was aiding the two warriors... her own way.

And then the creature roared, ready to charge them.

We're now switching to combat time.

Round 1:
It's 40 yards away. Your actions?

Taqukaq
2017-09-18, 02:15 PM
Rook braced himself next to Gunnar, his shield held up. He inwardly shivered at the voice. Not this again...wait, no...this is different. This voice was something dark, and the owner of the last voice died...in his sleep. Choked on what rooked like red wine through an opening in his throat. Rook shook his head, he killed that strange man and his dark curses. He wasnt going to let this thing get under his skin. He weighed his options, the thing was too far to throw his javalins, so he will wait.

With luck i can draw the abominations attacks and i focus only on defense while the rest of you attack it. I will keep him at range with my spear and hopefully keep its attention locked on me. Uhhh... sounds good? Ive killed alot of things and people in my day but i can say... this thing is a first.

XIII
2017-09-19, 06:21 AM
"Do try and leave it mostly intact. Vivisection would be best, if possible." Jeshikah took aim with her plumbata, carefully this time. As Akisha's sweet song washed over her, she felt a deep dark warmth in the words, found it soothing. She imagined the deadly words dancing around the thing's ears, enticing it to the other side. How romantic it was.

Taking aim...

Lank
2017-09-19, 10:25 AM
"Screw your science nonsense. He will turn us into mince. Hold nothing back!" Gunnar yelled. He readied his halberd. As soon as that thing was in range he intended to strike it before it could strike him.

CaptainCharisma
2017-09-21, 05:19 AM
Akisha cursed to herself as she failed to call forth the forces required for her spell. This place... its sickly aura was making the forces difficult to handle. She looked at her companions, taking stock of each as they prepared to meet this malformed giant head on. Ever the realist, Akisha knew that despite Rooks armor or her own thick skin, a single strike from that crude but effective weapon would do any one of them in. Running in this cursed swamp was also not an option. No choice than... she thought grimly.

She pulled up her right sleeve, revealing a crude bracelet made of what looked to be small animal bones lined up to make almost a solid bracer, albeit one only an inch or so wide. Clutching it with her free hand, Akisha let her gaze bore into the giant as she called upon the forces once more, this time letting them freely flow forth with simply an afterthought of control. It would feel pain, and there was only one thing that set every nerve alight, and made it feel as if one was dying. A single word left her mouth, simple, yet full of venom.

"Burn."

Cause pain, 6 net success for spellcasting, 2 for siphoning.

Lacco
2017-09-24, 03:57 PM
2st Springfeast 893
Afternoon March

The huge figure finally emerged from the mist, so they could take notice of its ugly, deformed features. It charged them, head on, preparing to swing its large club at Rook...

...and then, in one moment, it stopped, roaring - and gasping for air. It threw itself into ground, as if trying to extinguish a fire - fire in its own blood.

The lizardwomen stood there, her cloak billowing in nonexistent wind - it looked as if a draft of air pushed it upwards.

Her eyes shone and slight aureole of colour, which could be described as the moving darkness that lies behind men's eyelids when they lie in bed in fever, as pure black, refracted through space. She looked unnatural and had strange look in her eyes.

When she speaks, it sounds as if some other voice finished some of her sentences. Feel free to include it in RP.

They looked at the creature, which just screamed of pain, but managed to crush two tombstones while flailing around.

Akisha felt the power course in her veins, pumping her heart faster, heating her veins. She felt the touch of magic many times, but here, it tasted different. She could smell the pain of the enemy, taste the colour of its blood - and for the moment, her heartbeat was its.

She also felt the familiar feeling - a slither, somewhere back in her mind. Behind her eyes. It was back. Whatever came with magic was here for the ride.

Your gain 4 points of taint. Your casting pool has 3-die penalty due to Taint.
Your rolls for interaction (except maybe intimidation) are at -2. The aura is visible and she's visibly... changed.

XIII
2017-09-24, 08:36 PM
The good doctor began circling the thrashing beast, the perfume of dark magic filled her nostrils. She looked for a safer opening, one that gave her a better chance against being squished. Perhaps she could sever a major blood vessel cleanly, preserving the specimen...

Throw dice or...? Because if so, red dice! We're gonna slice open an artery.

Taqukaq
2017-09-24, 08:38 PM
Rook watches the creature flail and effortlessly destroy the stone tombstones. Rook doubts that he could successfully block its attack. It would be best to outright avoid. Luckily something stopped it. Now was the time to press the attack.

While the beast is distracted and down Rook carefully closes the distance and plunges his spear into the monstrocity.

Attacking the downed beast with 13 dice.

Kick it while its down. [roll0]

Lank
2017-09-26, 05:21 AM
"Press our advantage! Strike!".
Gunnar runs forward.

I don't know if I can reach it or not. If I can make it I will make a strike with my halberd. Preferably at the head. Just let me know if I can make it and I will make the roll in the OOC thread.

CaptainCharisma
2017-09-29, 08:38 AM
Akisha kelt her gaze locked on the creature, continuing to channel the subtlely destructive forces into the misshapen giant. The delicious amount of power she had released nearly brought the creature to its knees. At a price. She felt the powers twisting through her body, warping her existance in small but noticable ways. Always a price... It would be dealt with later.

The witch watched as he companions started to rush in, and she cursed under her breath. An animal was even more dangerous when wounded, and given how it easily smashed the headstones, soft bodies would prove little effort. "Fools! (Fools...) It will succumb! (Will succumb...) Run away, not to! (Not to...)" Like a whisper and a roar, some otherworldly presence enroached in her voice, doubling her words like a perverse echo, evidence of her partial failure to control the forces she had unleashed.

Akisha concentrates on maintaining her pain spell. She does not move, staying across the river from the monster while chastising her allies.

Lacco
2017-09-29, 02:25 PM
Rook was first one to reach the creature, with Jeshickah and Gunnar just seconds behind him.

He plunged his spear deep into the creature's chest. He was able to pierce the enormous sacks of fat and muscle - he stabbed from the side, trying to pierce deep enough to kill it with one strike, but he had to move aside when one of the large arms swung his way.

The thing screamed again, slowly losing its breath.

Round 2.
Rook attacks (R1E1) and hits.
Second exchange - do you have any dice left for another attack?

In round 3, Jeshickah and Gunnar may attack.
The thing is defenceless unless something happens to Akisha...

XIII
2017-10-03, 06:27 AM
The good doctor became concerned over Akisha's warnings, and how they came across. Her mind went to work, trying to decide the most prudent course of action.

If there is a way to help Akisha in her spellcasting, Jeshikah will do so. If that isn't possible, stab it in the neck with all the dice!

CaptainCharisma
2017-10-06, 06:03 PM
Akisha watched her companions converge on the misshapen giant, quietly cursing their foolishness. A single spasm could toss one of them several yards, possibly smashing their head on a tombstone, if not worse. Oh well. Fixing their mistakes was Jeshikah's job, not hers. And if they survived, they would learn. Focusing on her spellwork, the witch continued to will the giant into a pain crazed stupor that she planned for him to never awaken from.

Concentrating on her spellwork.

On a sidenote, I did a slight bit of research. You can actually die from pain alone. A sudden enough and severe enough pain will send your body into shock, and if not immediately treated, will most likely result in a feedback loop that causes the body to kill itself.

Lacco
2017-10-08, 04:12 PM
2st Springfeast 893
Afternoon March

Gunnar and Jeshickah both attacked the flailing monstrosity - and while Gunnar's had to push to tear through the thick skin of it's neck, Jeshickah's cane entered it at one of its folds. Behind them, Akisha stood, her cloak rising in the nonexistant wind...

And suddenly, the giant went limp - its blood, gushing from its horrible wounds, was the only proof of it still living. Question was, for how long.

They were victorious. For the moment.

The... thing... still breathed. But it was dying. Losing blood quickly - he had seen what wounds like these could do. A man could fight, but then collapse and just die without any struggle, because of lost blood.

Still, the thing had something on its "belt" or whatever held the loincloth at its place. A bag of some sorts - small bag, but still...

Even through the visceral pleasure of fight, she could still not stop herself from examining this specimen. Prolongated arms, strong but obviously deformed jaw, blunt teeth that suggested mixed diet - but strong canines for tearing of meat... it looked like unhealthy mixture of a hill giant - with their undeveloped forehead and long arms - and ogre, with its stumpy figure. She was rather sure she could rule out trolls...

Akisha noticed that the mana flow became different - there was no more resistance from her victim, no more struggling from that weak but vicious mind.

The thing still breathed. But it was dying. Still, they were not safe yet - his companions crossed the bridge, but he clearly remembered there was the disembodied voice... and they were in the middle of a swamp, in the middle of cementery.

If you don't mind, no need to take the "combat fatigue". The combat was rather short.
Everybody roll WIL/current morale. If you succeed, you get +1 morale for the victory against clearly dangerous opponent.

XIII
2017-10-08, 08:12 PM
"Not a troll..." Jeshikah spoke in whispers and low tones, thinking out loud. "Not quite ogre, or hill giant... Dark magic and interbreeding perhaps? Someone's experiment, or twisted by nature..?" The doctor retrieved her bag and began rifling through it for her sharper implements, a dissection was called for. No time to wait for the life force to leave the body, as a matter of fact, vivisection was preferred to learn more of the creature's true nature.

This is happening. I am prepared to roll.

Taqukaq
2017-10-08, 08:41 PM
Jeshicka... what are you doing? We may still not be alone?!

Rook steps away from Jeshicka, as he relaxes his spear and shield. If something jumps out to attack her, he wont get ambushed as well. He takes a look around, making sure they were sonewhat safe.

We need to go...NOW.

Lank
2017-10-09, 06:41 PM
Gunnar moved over to investigate the small bag. It could contain a clue to the nature of such a beast. "Hold up, I found something".

CaptainCharisma
2017-10-14, 02:59 AM
Akisha felt the magic fade on its own, a sure sign of the creatures demise. Breathing a sigh of relief, she could only shake her head as the others gathered around the body of the grotesque giant. "We safe (we safe...)," she declared, elevating her voice so to let it carry across the languid river. "Thing likely top predator (predator...). Others avoid (others avoid...). Loud roar scare competitors off, for small time (small time...). Leave before scavengers come (scavengers come...)." With every word the unearthly echo mirrored her words, further enhancing her already disturbing aura. Leaving the others to their own devices for the moment, Akisha turned her attention to the horses. Hopefully they had not spooked and would not have to be chased down...

Akisha makes sure the horses are fine and fixes any tack she finds in disarray.

Lacco
2017-11-15, 04:38 PM
2st Springfeast 893
Afternoon March

The cementery was now silent, save for the croaking of frogs from the marsh - they seemed to ignored the gravity of the situation, the dead body and the blood that soaked into the ground, and happily sounded their calls.

Akisha moved towards the horses - however, as she approached them, the horses grew restless - one of them started to squint at her, aiming for her arms, and the others - even her own Hus'sar - moved as far from her as their reins allowed them. They looked at her with panic in their eyes.

Jeshickah systematically searched her bag and finally found the short crescent blade and thin sharp knife she was looking for. Satisfied, she moved towards the body, already cataloguing her findings in her head - and slowly preparing short thesis on "marsh giants".

Rook stood guard, moving his eyes from both Jeshickah and Gunnar to the general direction of the voice he previously heard. He was almost sure that he heard hard breathing, but it seemed slowly to stop... and it was coming from one of the old, large tombstones.

Gunnar opened the creature's bag - it looked small, but only compared to its body. It was the size of smaller sack actually. At first sight contained several stones, small wooden enclosed cask, a small leather pouch, a dark, leather-like egg, few tarnished coins, and among them one circular pendant, made of grayish metal, with an engraved symbol of a sun-eye and some runes. No food, no water - just these items.

The air moved again, bringing more mist this time - and sulphuric smell. The branches on the few sickly-looking trees that still stood on the cementery swayed, but not for long - it was just a moment.

Taqukaq
2017-11-15, 07:12 PM
Rook, agitated a nd ready to be rid if this place grunted towards Jeshicka. He didnt seem to enjoy staying in a place too long after killing something big. The sma ll fry will come but Rook understands those dangers sll too well... a bear can fell a monsterous moose but fall victim to the colony of ants thst it underestimates... underestimation is a dead man's tool. In this Rook refused to wield them.

Jeshicka, cut it open and try to take something that you can study and we can dry out. I dont want to leave a trail for more pursuers but we dont have time for this. Lets go.

With that Rook makes his way back and tries to help calm the horses as they seem to panick near Akisha. Rook grumbled but regained his composure. He did not alliw the situTion to frustrate hum. Gunnar's presence did help ease his worries somewhat fir he did not feel like he was the only one on babysit duty. Though... Rook recalls Akisha's warning to stay away from the felled beast.

She was trying to take care of them. And she would have been right too, but Rook was experienced enough to know that violence of action was wisest. The beast would not have had its wits anout him quickly enough to coordinate an effective counter. There is always the possibility of being struck with a wild hit but Rook perferred taking a chance on that than trying to strike when it had its wits about it. Rook shakes the thoughts ftom his head. No reason to analyze and judge the situation. Its been dealt with and no one is hurt. Rook goes to help Akisha with the horses.

I dont think we are alone still... I heard a distorted voice... im not sure where it casme from. Infact im not quite sure i remember what it said...is there some sort of corruption here that poses a threat Akisha? Jeshicka?

XIII
2017-11-16, 10:56 PM
Did someone say something? Fascinating mutations, but not impressive. I wonder how stable it all is? Tissue samples! Organ biopsy! Oh my, I wonder what is inside the skull of this... Marsh Giant! Yes, nice name. Palus Gigantea as a proper name, but the rabble will call them Marsh Giants. Maybe Marsh Horrors? No, that just eggs on the already overactive fears that common folk seem to harbor.

Cut, scrape, squish, grind, crack, slice, stab, poke, and other sounds of rummaging through its insides.