PDA

View Full Version : Sneak attack based on Knowledge Skill

Orak
2007-08-06, 10:00 PM
I was brainstorming today and I came up with the idea of using skills to all sneak attacks on undead.

A base skill in Knowledge: Undead would allow for sneak attacks on various types of undead.

5 ranks would allow for sneak attack on Zombies, Ghouls and Ghasts

10 ranks would allow for sneak attacks on Skeletons

15 ranks would all for sneak attacks on Vampires and other high level undead

I haven't fully fleshed out the rank levels. What do you think of the idea and how would you arrange the rankings?

Tellah
2007-08-06, 10:05 PM
I'd turn them into skill tricks, myself. And the skill you're looking for is Knowledge: Religion.

Generic PC
2007-08-06, 10:06 PM
Ok, so Sneak Attack assumes you hit a vital area, right? so, How do you define a skeletons vital areas. what about a Zombie? Vampire? Sure, having a Blade doused in holy water would work, but that is like adding a poison. it just doesnt work for me. define a few monsters vital areas from the list, but i dont think it is doable...

MrNexx
2007-08-06, 10:18 PM
Ok, so Sneak Attack assumes you hit a vital area, right? so, How do you define a skeletons vital areas.

Solar Plexus. A good, strong blow there will shatter the ribcage, discorporating the skeleton. The pelvis is similar.

what about a Zombie?

Limb joints, especially the knee and elbow. Zombies are very ineffective when they can't use their arms.

Vampire?

Heart, of course. You could also make a strong argument for the neck, since removing their head is a big thing. Also, like Zombies, limb joints.

Most undead share that same weakness with humanoids... if you smash their arms or legs, they're going to be less able to function effectively (and therefore more vulnerable to destruction). A magical, silver mace in the crotch won't cause them any extra pain... but it might shatter their pelvis, which slows them down enough for you to smash them elsewhere.

TheLogman
2007-08-06, 10:19 PM
Maybe ranks in Knowledge (Biology) would allow you to make "Vital Strikes", Sneak Attacks that don't require flatfooted, or flanking, but can only be made once per day.

Example:

Jose McStabbyface the Rouge has 10 ranks in Knowledge (Biology) this means he can make one Vital Strike per day.

Every 5 ranks after 10, he can make 1 more, and his first one increase 1 die.

Example:

Jose McStabbyface now has 20 ranks in Knowledge (Biology) can make 3 Vital Strikes per day, one at 3d6 damage, one at 2d6, and one at 1d6.

Vital Striking would probably provoke an attack of opportunity, and Vital Strike Damage can stack with Sneak Attack.

There is a Prestige Class in the Minis Handbook that allows the Rouge/Clerics to holy sneak attacks, applying both this new Sneak Attack damage, and the damage that he had before, which affects undead. I think that's how it works.

And shouldn't this go in Homebrew?