PDA

View Full Version : will my warlock be able to keep up as the party support?

Rfkannen
2017-07-09, 07:15 PM
So im in a campaign right now, and my character is a tiefling pact of the celestial warlock, and I am wondering if he will be able to keep up on his role as support for the party as he levels up.

So far (my character is still level one but we have played 3 sessions) my character has managed to be a pretty decent healer, of course he does a fair amount of damage but I would say that he fully fills the idea of the "support" character.

I was wondering, will he be able to keep it up as a support, or no matter what I do will he slowly turn into a blaster? Is there a way you would recommend building him in order to keep the support role?

we do need a support, the party is

a wizard who has all blasting spells, blowing things up

a barbarian, the tank of the party

an alchemist artificer, seems to be a damage dealer and crowd control so far

a bard whose specialty is battlefield control, no healing spells (cantrips: vicius mockery, prestidigitation. First level; thunder wave, disguise self, earth tremor, dissonent whispers.)

and a revised ranger, the group scout and archer

So I am pretty sure that we need me as a support as no one has any buffing or healing spells.

Will I be able to keep it up as a support? Is there anything I should keep in mind to do so? Any tips on being a support warlock?

PS. now that I post this, do you think I am right on the idea that I need to focus on support?
PPS. If your wondering why I picked a warlock support, I rolled a 20 charisma, 5 streangth, and already played a bard so the only healing option was celestial warlock.

Misterwhisper
2017-07-09, 07:24 PM
So im in a campaign right now, and my character is a tiefling pact of the celestial warlock, and I am wondering if he will be able to keep up on his role as support for the party as he levels up.

So far (my character is still level one but we have played 3 sessions) my character has managed to be a pretty decent healer, of course he does a fair amount of damage but I would say that he fully fills the idea of the "support" character.

I was wondering, will he be able to keep it up as a support, or no matter what I do will he slowly turn into a blaster? Is there a way you would recommend building him in order to keep the support role?

a bard whose specialty is battlefield control, no healing spells (cantrips: vicius mockery, prestidigitation. First level; thunder wave, disguise self, earth tremor, dissonent whispers.)

So I am pretty sure that we need me as a support as no one has any buffing or healing spells.

Will I be able to keep it up as a support? Is there anything I should keep in mind to do so? Any tips on being a support warlock?

PS. now that I post this, do you think I am right on the idea that I need to focus on support?
PPS. If your wondering why I picked a warlock support, I rolled a 20 charisma, 5 streangth, and already played a bard so the only healing option was celestial warlock.

Not a chance in hell.

You will never have the number of spells needed.

latebloomer
2017-07-09, 07:27 PM
My DM (aka husband) is keeping after me to NOT worry so much about everyone and to have fun. Bless 'em, we have 3 druids & at least 1 took zero healing. They'll figure it out and do something next level. The last time I played, we had no healer or "official" support & did okay: everyone figured out some way to help themselves, then others if possible.

Unless you agreed up front to be healer, or want to be, it's not your job. I recognize that I'm not answering your question. Sorry about that. :-)

Theodoxus
2017-07-09, 07:30 PM
I would hazard to say that you're kinda boned. Having 2 spells max until 11th level for an encounter means you're not really going to cut it as support. I don't know the Celestial background, but I'm a little surprised that if it was on the table, that Favored Soul wasn't (which would, in any incarnation, be heaps better for the support role). Be that as it may, if Celestial offers Healing Word, you'll probably be okish - but again, 2 heals per short rest means your team is going to be blowing through all their own resources to minimize damage - either through overkill or mitigation (control, damage resistance, etc.)

If Celestial doesn't offer Healing Word, you're boned - or need to convince the Bard to pick it up whenever you hit 2nd level. Speaking of the Bard, they don't have any Concentration spells. That's a waste of Concentration. They should grab Bane at the very least. It's a life saver.

Then there's the fact that after 3 sessions you're still 1st level... Now, I won't criticise the playstyle until I know more, but I hope you're playing 3 times a week at an hour a session... because if you've put more than 4 hours into your characters and are still 1st level, that's... well, as close to wrongbadfun as I'd go...

TL;DR - if you're going for primary healer, 1 heal per encounter at 1st level isn't going to cut it (and that's if you're getting short rests between fights).

rbstr
2017-07-09, 07:38 PM
You'll be fine.
Besides your healing light feature and your short-rest slots for Cure Wounds the Ranger can heal a bit, the bard can pick up healing word or something with magical secrets (Aura of Vitality) if things feel deficient. Everyone has hit die for short rests.
Nobody has to be a pure heal bot.

Misterwhisper
2017-07-09, 07:47 PM
You'll be fine.
Besides your healing light feature and your short-rest slots for Cure Wounds the Ranger can heal a bit, the bard can pick up healing word or something with magical secrets (Aura of Vitality) if things feel deficient. Everyone has hit die for short rests.
Nobody has to be a pure heal bot.

Support and healing are not the same.

Support casts fly on the party when it is needed, throws out buffs for the party like haste, bless, and the like.

A warlock can never spend their lower level slots on utility,

Kane0
2017-07-09, 07:56 PM
Healing Light will be your bread and butter, sizable independant pool of healing that is usable as a bonus action.

If you can collect the Bless spell somehow you'll be set, thats basic healing and support covered without digging into your build much.
Tome Pact for the Guidance cantrip and the Inspiring Leader feat are also good options for broadening your support.

Rfkannen
2017-07-09, 08:46 PM
Not a chance in hell.

You will never have the number of spells needed.

Well bugger, any tips on what he should instead if that won't work?

My DM (aka husband) is keeping after me to NOT worry so much about everyone and to have fun. Bless 'em, we have 3 druids & at least 1 took zero healing. They'll figure it out and do something next level. The last time I played, we had no healer or "official" support & did okay: everyone figured out some way to help themselves, then others if possible.

Unless you agreed up front to be healer, or want to be, it's not your job. I recognize that I'm not answering your question. Sorry about that. :-)

I sort of did have my characters first sentence be "I'm the healer"

I would hazard to say that you're kinda boned. Having 2 spells max until 11th level for an encounter means you're not really going to cut it as support. I don't know the Celestial background, but I'm a little surprised that if it was on the table, that Favored Soul wasn't (which would, in any incarnation, be heaps better for the support role). Be that as it may, if Celestial offers Healing Word, you'll probably be okish - but again, 2 heals per short rest means your team is going to be blowing through all their own resources to minimize damage - either through overkill or mitigation (control, damage resistance, etc.)

If Celestial doesn't offer Healing Word, you're boned - or need to convince the Bard to pick it up whenever you hit 2nd level. Speaking of the Bard, they don't have any Concentration spells. That's a waste of Concentration. They should grab Bane at the very least. It's a life saver.

Then there's the fact that after 3 sessions you're still 1st level... Now, I won't criticise the playstyle until I know more, but I hope you're playing 3 times a week at an hour a session... because if you've put more than 4 hours into your characters and are still 1st level, that's... well, as close to wrongbadfun as I'd go...

TL;DR - if you're going for primary healer, 1 heal per encounter at 1st level isn't going to cut it (and that's if you're getting short rests between fights).

Actually.... favored soul was I just did not think of it. Maybe I should multiclass?

First couple games actually were pretty short rest will be longer, I'd say it's been like 5 hours, and first 2 sessions had no comat. We should level up faster just a slow start I think.

Healing Light will be your bread and butter, sizable independant pool of healing that is usable as a bonus action.

If you can collect the Bless spell somehow you'll be set, thats basic healing and support covered without digging into your build much.
Tome Pact for the Guidance cantrip and the Inspiring Leader feat are also good options for broadening your support.

Any ideas on how to get it?

I was so dering what path and feat to pick! Tome it is, Any ideas on other 2 cantrips?

Misterwhisper
2017-07-09, 08:58 PM
With your group makeup, having a bard, a wizard and an alchemist your group should have plenty of support.

If you plan to be a warlock the whole time, I would go tome, more cantrips are always nice.

Guidance is gold.
Shocking grasp is a get out of trouble card.
Depending on your other stats Shillelagh could be great
Green flame blade should be gold for you as well because you can add charisma to the damge later.

I would go Guidance, shillelagh and green flame blade.

Unless you have like a 10 con or something.

Rfkannen
2017-07-09, 09:01 PM
With your group makeup, having a bard, a wizard and an alchemist your group should have plenty of support.

If you plan to be a warlock the whole time, I would go tome, more cantrips are always nice.

Guidance is gold.
Shocking grasp is a get out of trouble card.
Depending on your other stats Shillelagh could be great
Green flame blade should be gold for you as well because you can add charisma to the damge later.

I would go Guidance, shillelagh and green flame blade.

Unless you have like a 10 con or something.

Looks good! I do however have exactly 10 con. 17 dex though. Also 20 charisma. I rolled well.

Kane0
2017-07-09, 09:27 PM
Sacred flame ignores cover if you want to focus on increasing your CON with ASIs instead of spell sniper (though you should still get that too if you can afford it), otherwise a utility cantrip like message or mending? Maybe move earth to make some instant partial cover for yourself

Malifice
2017-07-09, 09:38 PM

Your party are VERY long rest heavy.

That to me indicates that your DM doesnt police the adventuring day.

That being the case, you probably will struggle later on. I suggest MCing into Sorcerer.

Kane0
2017-07-09, 10:55 PM
A dip into Life cleric is an option. You get some extra low level casting (guidance, bless, healing word), heavy armor, a bonus when using healing spells (you might be lucky enough for your DM to OK it to work with Healing Light) and channel divinity for some bonus short rest healing.

Do you have an idea on what you want your character to be like? Thats more important than filling a 'role'

Lonely Tylenol
2017-07-10, 07:11 AM
I've played support Warlocks with reasonable success. I was a Vuman GOO (before UA was a thing) Tomelock with Magic Initiate (Cleric) for level 1 Guidance and Bless. It was... Okay. I was able to add a D4 to basically anything, telepathy was useful for strategy and coordination with the group, and rituals from all classes provide a lot of downtime utility to make up for your weak spell list. I imagine a played out Tiefling Celestial Warlock would be similar, but with healing instead of telepathy (which might be an improvement), and different access to Bless and Guidance.

If you are a support character, you are basically locked into Tome, with Chain a distant second. Tome gives you a ton of downtime utility with the Book of Ancient Secrets, which makes you the best ritual caster in the game. Between divinations, downtime abjurations and miscellaneous logistics spells, you can overcome a lot of lesser obstacles with just rituals, and save the meat for combat. It even gives you a familiar that you can still scout and Help with, just not as far away.

I can't remember what the two expanded spells for Celestial Warlock are, but if Bless is one of them, take it. Lament that you can't get Guidance before level 3, but when you take Tome, get that. They are your bread-and-butter combat support until you have resources to burn for things like Fly and the like.

If you consider dipping to be useful for a support, dip either Cleric (with some support-y domain, like Protection, or a utility domain like Knowledge) or Bard (because five daily uses of Bardic Inspiration is nuts, especially if you're not doing much with your bonus action). It's not necessary to function, but it really does help.

Finally, remember that, in a pinch, supports can debuff, and Warlocks have decent debuff access, which can make you a bit more well-rounded.

Lombra
2017-07-10, 07:17 AM
You'll probably do alright because there isn't really the need of a support/healer guy in this edition. Why no favourite soul sorcerer tho? Charisma based and not a bard, very high buff and support ability through metamagic.

Theodoxus
2017-07-10, 08:01 AM
I'm curious, do those of you spouting that there's no need for support, or especially healers, actually play without one? Because that is not my experience.

Last night, our cleric didn't show up, and our party of me (barbarian 2/rogue 2), wizard (diviner) 4, and Mood Druid 3 (with only Healing Word) ended up burning all of our HD after an encounter that should have been a TPK, but the DM didn't want to kill us, just motivate us to move in another direction with the story. We were fortunate that the DM allowed us a couple days to rest up - but at the cost of the town being taken over by martial law, which is causing us a bit of trouble moving around outside of the guards attention.

Be that as it may, had the cleric been in the group, we wouldn't have had to sacrifice so much time.

This is just one, very recent, anecdotal story, I could propose many more... I never downplay the importance of how much of a difference a healer or two can make in both combat, and post combat restoration.

Lombra
2017-07-10, 08:37 AM
I'm curious, do those of you spouting that there's no need for support, or especially healers, actually play without one? Because that is not my experience.

Last night, our cleric didn't show up, and our party of me (barbarian 2/rogue 2), wizard (diviner) 4, and Mood Druid 3 (with only Healing Word) ended up burning all of our HD after an encounter that should have been a TPK, but the DM didn't want to kill us, just motivate us to move in another direction with the story. We were fortunate that the DM allowed us a couple days to rest up - but at the cost of the town being taken over by martial law, which is causing us a bit of trouble moving around outside of the guards attention.

Be that as it may, had the cleric been in the group, we wouldn't have had to sacrifice so much time.

This is just one, very recent, anecdotal story, I could propose many more... I never downplay the importance of how much of a difference a healer or two can make in both combat, and post combat restoration.

It's harder at early levels, but once you level up, healing potions and various scrolls tend to become more affordable (in the game that I play). I am playing in a group without dedicated healers or buffers: a shadow monk, a fighter/rogue , a tempest cleric/druid (which doesn't heal for RP reasons) a diviner wizard and a wild sorcerer. We end up using most of our hit dies during the adventuring day, but we survived till level 7 for now. There have been many close-calls, but when we manage to cooperate and the dies don't screw us up we win the fights without many resources expended.

Healers are a breeze of fresh air for sure, but it's not an odissey to play without one. Ultimately, it's cool to have a support/healer but it's not really important for it to be exremely efficient.

Sir cryosin
2017-07-10, 08:54 AM
If you had a 20 in charisma why not play a favored soul Sorcerer. You would get cleric buff and healing spell with Sorcerer meta magic and spells.

Maxilian
2017-07-10, 10:03 AM
I don't agree that you can't cut it as a support, you got enough healing with your class feature to not have to bother with healing spells (yes you only have 2 spells per short rest, but those would be buff and things like those).

Then get Guidance to have an at-will support ability, another good cantrip could be vicious mockery (giving disadvantage to your enemy is a good way to support your melee fighters) -also at will-, and if you do go tome, then pick up find familiar (maybe an Owl) so you can use your bonus action to use the help action with your familiar whenever you don't need to heal.

Steal all the rituals you can from your Sorcerer (he have like 3 ritual as best), and Wizard (he have them all!), so out of combat you will have so many options that you won't find yourself without things to do.

Note: As it seens that you have not that much need of feats as you got good stats, maybe the healer feat would be nice (though i think that your owl could use the healing kit for you in many cases)

rudy
2017-07-10, 10:08 AM
I made an extraordinarily effective support character in a Warlock 5 / Lore Bard X. Warlock 5 gets you to 3rd level spells like Counterspell, and gives you the short-rest spell slots, while Bard gives you more spell slots to use on a daily basis.

Eldritch blast levels up with character level so that you will always have a useful attack option.

Just a thought. If you decide to go that route, I would recommend:

Warlock 2 > Bard 5 > Warlock 5 > Bard X

Don't worry about there being two Bards; that is *not* a bad thing.

Citan
2017-07-10, 01:25 PM

Well, you are, like screwed? XD

Nah, don't worry, I'm quite exaggerating.
The true problem is not so much the number of spell slots than the number of spell known. Or more importantly the lack of choice of Cleric's spells: by far the best spells for you would be Beacon of Hope and Aid. The first to activate just before using the Warlock's built-in healing before a short rest, or just at the end of a short rest when your pals are using the hit dice. Aid because it's a scalable buff that lasts 8 hours so you could blow them then take a short rest while your pals are still sleeping.

And there is no chance to get either of them while pure Warlock.
You have several options here.

Stay pure Warlock because you just like the class.
In that case, take Inspiring Leader ASAP. With 20 CHA it's a nice boost. Then Healer's feat later (very potent healing for low resource cost, and can be combined with Warlock's healing).
Tell your friends they are supposed to take care of themselves like grown-up should. XD
And keep healing for true emergency.
All the while using Flaming Sphere + Repelling Blast (great way to deal damage and provide control).
On the bright (lol) side, Wall of Fire will also help you later to prevent damage through battlefield division.

Multiclass Lore Bard 6 somewhere between Warlock 4 and Warlock 12
Just saying quick, because apparently you don't want to play it again, but just a Lore Bard 6 for Aura of Vitality (during encounter), Beacon of Hope (outside of encounter), + Song of Rest and short-rest Cuttings Words will help you much in keeping the party alive.

Multiclass (revised) Favored Soul Sorcerer 6+
The next best thing to do since UA seems allowed: you can grab all good Cleric spells: Healing Words, Bless, Sanctuary, Aid, Beacon of Hope, Bestow Curse, Spiritual Weapon, Spirit Guardians.
And Extended + either Twin or Distant depending on your taste will make it even better.

Multiclass Life Cleric 1/3/5/7/9
Provided you have the required WIS, a great alternative: heavy armor, intercheangable spells and better heal per cast. :)

Considering your context, and provided you have enough WIS, I'd...

1. Keep leveling up Warlock until at least level 2
Take the Frost and Repelling Invocations for Eldricht Blast: the cumul of -10 speed and 10 feet repel is much more important as a support/healer than dealing "just" +5 damage (although I'd advise grabbing Agonizing Blast not far after getting the second day because the damage increase would be now worthy).

2. Then take a single level of Life Cleric.
Don heavy armor, keep Healing Words, Shielf of Faith and Sanctuary prepared in addition to Cure Wounds and Bless. Learn Guidance and Spare the Dying or Thaumaturgy as cantrips.

3. Then back to Warlock up to 4 for the many benefits.*
Pact: I'd suggest Tome for Shillelagh, Thorns Whip and Rituals Invocations later, but Chain could be nice too, depending on whichever invocations you want and how high you go Warlock.
Anyways pick Flaming Sphere, great use of your concentration, picking Inspiring Leader as a feat.

4. Then start Sorcerer up to 5
Cantrips: grab Shocking Grasp or Lightning Lure, then whatever you want really (I love Minor Illusion and Mage Hand, but Frostbite, Ray of Frost could also be nice ;)).
First level spells: grab Shield ASAP, Chromatic Bolt because always useful, then whatever 1st level spell. I strongly suggest Command though. Very versatile.
Second level spells: grab Aid and Spiritual Weapon (replacement for Flaming Sphere) or Warding Bond (extremely good buff) as a priority.
Metamagic: Extended pairs with Aid, Bless, Shield of Faith, Sanctuary, Beacon of Hope, but also Flaming Sphere, Blindness, Bestow Curse etc.
Then any is good: Quicken, Twin, Heightened, Distant are all nice to have. If in doubt, Heightened: with 20 CHA you will become a nasty debuffer, and you can use those short rest slots to refill also.
Grab Healer feat if you are keen on helping the party survive. Otherwise it's due time for Warcaster if you wield a shield for added protection.
Then learn Spirit Guardians and either Bestow Curse (if you plan on going Warlock +++) or anything else you'd like (Glyph of Warding? Mass Healing Words? Animate Deat? Haste? Slow? Fireball?)

5. Then take your Warlock 5 level.
By that time, you are a pretty potent healer thanks to 3rd level short rest slots, cumulative "feature" healing and still versatility to buff/debuff with long rest slots.

Usual tactics may include...
- Extended 3rd+ Aid cast before taking a long rest.
- Extended Spirit Guardians to spare some slots when taking several encounters.
- Distant Bestow Curse because you are afraid to come close after all. XD
- Heightened Bestow Curse because it makes many winning combos available with your caster friends.
- Twin Sanctuary to help friends that have to run RIGHT NOW!
- Twin Thorns Whip or Ray of Frost to pull/keep people in the area of your Spirit Guardians.
- Distant Cure Wounds (if you don't learn Healing Words as a Sorcerer) because of a bit more potent healing.
- Casting Beacon of Hope before starting a short rest, casting Mass Healing Words (6*12 HP) or Twin Cure Wounds (2*16), or using Healer feat / Warlock's healing. Incidentally, it also works on people using their own hit dice.
- Using Inspiring Leader just BEFORE a short rest whenever possible (so you can still use it between two encounters when needed) for 15 THP per person.
- When able to get several short rests, use the short slots > SP > long slots shenanigan.
- Ritual casting Alarm whenever you prepare a camp.
- Ritual casting Leomund's Tiny Hut whenever possible (great for you especially, provides a safe place for short-rest shenanigans).

While you are obviously much behind a pure Life Cleric in the number of situations you can resolve (no Greater Restoration, no Raise Dead etc), you are actually much much more potent overall, because you can apply an extremely high amount of cushion HP and maximize any healing on a regular basis. In addition to being quite tanky.

Now it's up to you whether to finish Warlock or Sorcerer, both are very fine options.
Sorcerer 9 / Warlock 11 is the end build I'd aim for, with Sorcerer ASAP, because you'd get Raise Dead, but still end with 3*5th level short rest slots (non-concentration Bestow Curse, to pair with Heightened, Distant or Twin), other good spells from Sorcerer, and enough Warlock Invocations to get the best Eldricht Blast ever in addition to all-useful rituals (Alarm, Gentle Repose, Leomund's Tiny Hut, Phantom Steed, + all detect and divination spells).
With Warcaster and Sentinel feat, paired with Twin Thorns Whip/Ray of Frost and SPirit Guardians, you should be a great controller.

* If you are ready to sacrifice your armor (OR you have very high DEX, OR your DM can waive armor restriction), dipping a level in Druid in addition to Warlock and later Sorcerer will amount to some stupidly crazy amount of healing since Life Cleric benefit works with Goodberry. I would adapt the leveling then:
get just enough Sorcerer to get the Extended Metamagic and Aid spell (so Sorcerer 3), then go Warlock 9 ASAP. Even as Cleric 1 / Druid 1 / Sorcerer 3 / Warlock 3 (char level 8), you can already pump +10 to all your friends and a reserve amounting to easily 500 HP in gooberries (one short-rest cast = 10*5 HP) when you have a day of preparation available. Becomes even stupidier when you get 5th level slots: 25 more HP per friend, and one short-rest cast of Goodberry amount to 80 HP.

Be aware though that it could backfire: your DM could decide to crank up the challenge in answer, but may have trouble balancing it and end up TPK you if you abuse of the tactic. ;)

rbstr
2017-07-10, 02:05 PM
Heavy armor is a bit silly on a character with 5 strength and 17 Dex with light armor proficiency already. His AC is pretty decent especially on a ranged caster.

I think it boils down to this: You're level 1 so people can't do too much yet so you're feeling inadequate. But it'll work out, seriously. Everyone in your party, except one, is some variation of a caster.
You've got the healing. Someone else, or combination of someone elses, can pick up a buff or two. Or they can focus on debuffing enemies. Seems like you already have a bunch of that.
Plus the Bard will be chucking inspirations at people. That's a lot of support!

Taking warlock until you hit 5th level spells is probably the strongest option as you level up (opposed to elaborate muti-classes that don't work for a half-dozen levels), unless you jump ship right away to favored soul or bard and stay there for a while.
You'll keep leveling up your healing light, which is bonus-action and doesn't use slots, and where most of your healing can come from.
Then you'll get some important healer-y stuff (That your party probably wouldn't get otherwise) in revivify and lesser/greater restoration that way. Along with some good combat spells.
You also pick up a Pact boon and some invocations. You could take Tome and get some supporty cantrips and utility rituals, you can take Chain and deliver cure wounds at a distance via your familiar!
Hell your dex is good enough to go Blade Pact if you wanted.

Lombra
2017-07-10, 02:50 PM
Ooh pick inspiring leader! Everybody likes temporary HP!

Citan
2017-07-10, 07:36 PM
Heavy armor is a bit silly on a character with 5 strength and 17 Dex with light armor proficiency already. His AC is pretty decent especially on a ranged caster.
Ooops. Forgot about that aspect of OP's character. Didn't know his DEX was 17 though, it's not in opening post.

Doesn't void everything else I said anyways. ;)
And the multiclass I suggest will be in fact usually better overall than pure Warlock at the same level, mind you (considering the strong focus on healing/support obviously). ^^ Althouth the 1-level dip is good only if OP already meets the WIS requirement, if it would require a WIS bump it's probably not worth the investment. :)

miburo
2017-07-10, 08:16 PM
If the party is still level 1, I would perhaps encourage the bard to pick up some healing spells at later levels. Healing Word goes along way for in-combat support, and as a bonus action spell it shouldn't interfere too much with the bard's primary intent of battlefield control. Cure Wounds also always good though IMO Healing Word is more useful in-battle.

If you are really worried you could multiclass into Sorcerer Favored Soul after 2 levels of Warlock. That way you have spammable Eldritch Blast damage coupled with Cure Wounds and the ability to pick up more cleric spells if necessary in the future.

Talionis
2017-07-11, 09:52 PM
I'll suggest picking up the silent image invocation with the minor illusion cantrip and combine them to create illusions that help to keep the team alive as a form of battlefield control without expending resources.

ShneekeyTheLost
2017-07-13, 01:32 AM
Instead of support, you can go battlefield control.

With GOO patron, you get Tasha's and Dissonant Whispers, both very useful battlefield control spells, for first level spell options. Plus Hex, because that's kind of mandatory. For second level spells, you get Cloud of Daggers, no-save-just-damage area that is effectively battlefield control that no one wants to go into, plus bonus damage if you can knock someone back into it (such as Repelling Blast/Grasp of Hadar). But when you hit 5th level and 3rd level spells come online, Hypnotic Pattern becomes a huge area-effect save or lose. When you get 4th level spells, GOO locks get Evard's Black Tentacles, which is also battlefield control plus damage.

After all, if enemies can't attack people, then that's that much less damage needed to heal in the first place. Plus you have Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast + Hex for pew-pew and really solid consistent damage.

You've got druids in the party, see if they are willing to pick up Spike Growth. If so, take both Repelling Blast and Grasp of Hadar. You can push OR pull enemies around in the spike growth area. To give you an idea, this is 1d10+5 (Charisma mod from Agonizing Blast) + 1d6 (from Hex) + 4d6 (from being moved 10' in Spike Growth) PER BLAST. And at 5th level, you get a second blast, which puts its damage at well above what even a Fireball can do, albeit single-target. And you can pew-pew all day long.

Rebonack
2017-07-17, 01:05 AM
A Warlock can do just fine as a healing support-

-provided you take Pact of the Chain and you have access to Unearthed Arcana, particularly the Healing Elixir spell.

Get a little bandoleer for your Imp (Celestial Imp? Why not.) and load 'em down with Healing Elixirs that you conjure during downtime. They last 24 hours, so feel free to burn spell slots while traveling 'n just sit in the party's wagon to regain your spells. In combat, have the imp remain invisible and feed Healing Elixirs to the party. Sure it's just 2d4+2, but that's plenty to get someone back on their feet if they get dropped. Since it isn't an attack or a spell, the imp remains invisible and makes for some great action-economy use. If you're really lucky, you might be able to get your DM to allow Healing Elixir to scale with spell slot level.

Cure Wounds and the Celestial Warlock's class features should cover the rest of the bases. Pick up Inspiring Leader for even more temporary hit points. Great for keeping your smushy familiar alive, too.

This is more or less what I've been doing in a game I'm in as a Great Old One Chainlock and Derelith has thus far managed to do an admirable job of keeping the party on their feet. There was a collective cry of fear a few sessions ago when her familiar got blown up by an enemy caster's Shatter, though. Watch out for that AoE damage!

Kane0
2017-07-17, 01:23 AM
Theres also that UA invocation that maximises any healing you receive yourself, so that's cool.