PDA

View Full Version : 5e SorLock, enter: Kadenzi Entacie

MisterABM
2017-07-09, 08:26 PM
(Posted in the wrong forum already, sorry mods!!!)

Hello fellow dnd travelers! Thought I would make my first post here about a sorcerer/warlock idea I have for a new campaign. I've seen many wonderful guides on maximizing the potential of character classes, so I hope this doesn't sound like a silly idea!

The campaign premise is a homebrew set in the jungle. I've already heard that part of the background will involve nagas and yuan-ti being main enemies. So I've been having a bit of trouble picking a particular race. I have asked and been allowed to use a pureblood yuan-ti if I want, and there is a lot of reasons why I do.

Yuan-ti pureblood get poison spray among other things like speak with snakes and 3rd level suggestion. Which fits into the Draconic acid ancestry I want to choose from the sorcerer background list. Being a yuan-ti and understanding the enemy while scouting or during combat just seems like a win, it's always so situational when you have a party of 7 and no one speaks the one language of the enemy we happen to be fighting.

I have a general idea about the background of this character. Kadenzi would be an albino pureblood outcast. His tribe murdered his parents for being curious about the outside world, and Kadenzi was abused for years for both his parents crimes and his color.

A big part of this campaign will involve machines and a sort of industrial revolution. The dm has created three new classes, two of which reflect this change in the world. There is the ranger rifle marksman, the gunslinger, and the class that I am choosing, the sorceress voodoo witch doctor.

The witch doctor is essentially the same as the sorcerer so I'm told, but with the change of being able to craft voodoo dolls. The power these dolls will have on certain enemies and individuals will be determined by crafting skill and maerials used. I am really interested in trying this class combined with the additional blasting power of the warlock to create a powerful, multi talented sneaky shadowman (much like Disney Facilie in the princess and the frog). But I'm having some issues in deciding background, future warlock pact, and so on.

I'm pretty sure I will use this character as a sorcerer up until level four since sorcerer level 5 grants nothing besides and additional spell slot. Then tale pact of the tome for additional flavor spells and the ability to copy more. However there is the possibility of pact of the blade, taking the life drinker invocations to represent a dark, sacrificial ritualistic character.

I may just be spreading myself thin with too many ideas. But it seemed very opposit of what my friends have started choosing and I'd like to have a balanced party. One is choosing a tabaxi gunslinger, and the other a water gensai druid.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, I hope to enjoy these forums as much as you all do!

TheUser
2017-07-10, 05:04 AM
I'm pretty sure I will use this character as a sorcerer up until level four since sorcerer level 5 grants nothing besides and additional spell slot.

TIL access to 3rd level spells like fireball equates to "nothing" for some people....

MisterABM
2017-07-10, 04:50 PM
It's not that I wasn't considering the spells I get. But besides the access which yes fireball is great, but this character is less about being a battle presence and more about being a devious voodoo guy and upping the creepy factor.

FaceofBo
2017-07-10, 07:40 PM
Well, first things first, which thematic bit of a Voodoo shaman are you trying to play up more? If you're going for a Dr. Facilier character, I'd say Tome 'cause he doesn't really do much in the way of actually getting his hands dirty (Love the reference btw, he's one of my favorite villains ever and his music is epic). However, if you're going for more of a sacrificial kind of shaman, Blade might work (get a big ol' ceremonial dagger and cut people's hearts out). As for Patron, flavor wise I'd say Fey Pact with the Queen of Air and Darkness, seeing as you're surrounded by nature and such, and especially if you're playing up the Voodoo, witch doctor, reading-the-entrails-and-sacrificing-hearts bit. She's the patron of Magic, Darkness, and (Wait for it) Murder. A little descriptor

"The Queen of Air and Darkness is a bodiless, invisible being, but she can be perceived magically as a faerie with pale, angular features, blood-black eyes, and a mane of black hair. She is beautiful, but hers is a terrible, eldritch beauty that chills the bone. The Queen is cold and utterly emotionless."

If not Fey, Great Old One, they all can kinda fit the Voodoo schtick pretty well.

If you are going Tome, spring for some illusion magic, maybe ask your DM if you can re-flavor Evards Black Tentacles as crazy evil Vines, stuff like that, take the control/twisting of Nature all the way with it.

If you're going for Blade, invest in Mobility/survivability. You're a Shaman of some crazy otherworldly beings, they're not just going to let you go down without some effort.

Overall, I love the idea, and it sounds like you've thought a good bit about it, hope this helps :D

MisterABM
2017-07-10, 08:38 PM
Thank you very much! I'm looking to play more into a versatile character spell wise so I guess the tome pact would make more sense and the pact of the fey or friend. I'm on the fence actually about this character being yuan-ti and being immensely hated by nearly any civilized community, or i have toyed with the notion of a half elf with sun elf ancestry for the firebolt cantrip. I chose yuan-ti for the poison spray and magic resistance, but half elves get resistance to charming and sleep, not as powerful but still effective.

Kadenzi definitely needs to be a charmer who can use illusions like Facilie to take the most from his enemies.

FaceofBo
2017-07-10, 09:33 PM
Kadenzi definitely needs to be a charmer who can use illusions like Facilie to take the most from his enemies.

I'd say 100% Tome then, grab stuff like Phantasmal Force, Mirror Image, Crown of Madness, and Hunger of Hadar, really lock in that "Otherworldly Spooky S%!#" kinda vibe. Talk with your DM about the awakened mind ability as a GOO warlock, that has a lot of fun interactions (Just a crazed, alien sounding whisper, gibbering about madness and such).

MisterABM
2017-07-11, 03:19 PM
Would that be considered a type of a madness effect? Be cool to have the character having to chat occasionally with the other side.