PDA

View Full Version : Original System Need help with a magic system

Varen_Tai
2017-07-09, 10:29 PM
OK, so here's what I need:

I am currently actively developing a webcomic that has been in the works for over a decade. I have serious plot, character, and world development finished, and I finally have the time and ability to move forward in a major way.

My problem - I have a piece of my magic system that is incredibly cool and unique, and conceptually, I have the entire thing worked out. However, I am terrible at coming up with a huge list of all the specific things that have already been done by wizards and what potentially could be done. In other words, I need some help brainstorming.

To illustrate what I am looking for, imagine I designed this great magic system that I am putting in a game called D&D. I've got all the schools of magic worked up, I know what they do and don't do, but I'm having trouble working out what divination spells would exist beyond Detect Magic and Detect Good/Evil, as well as the implications for the game and the world for these spells being available.

To be even more specific, this is about coming up with ways substances can be changed. Ideas I have already are - certain types of wood can no longer float in water, a certain type of flower changes color from yellow to purple, some metals harden to nigh impenetrable, some types of wood glow forever, etc. Nothing is very major or complex, so no one is actually coming up with a spell description, with all of the details associated with spells. Some of it will be downright strange or useless, some very useful, some in-between.

However, this is proprietary - I am looking for some folks that would be willing to join an email list (with their real names), sign an NDA, and then help me work up a list of things that could be done since I don't want any of this pubic yet. No talky talky with others not on the list.

Anyone who is interested, send me a PM with your RL email and name, I'll send an NDA to you, and once you get it back to me (digitally signed is fine), I'll add you to my list. I'll send out an email to everyone kicking things off once we get a fair number of people signed up.

I'll also sweeten the pot a little and put my money where my mouth is - I will pay a nickel for every viable idea someone gives me. I don't have an unlimited budget, but if you send me a list of 500 ideas, I will totally pay you $25 for it. I'm able to go up to $50 total for all ideas (so 1000 in all, though anyone who wants to send more for fun is welcome to do so :smallwink:).

If you are interested, PM me with the info I mentioned above and we'll get an email list together with ideas being kicked out. You can discuss with everyone else and/or send me a document with all your ideas. You'll need to understand the magic system clearly before you can begin, thus the NDA.

Thanks in advance for any help people are willing to give. :)

Varen_Tai
2017-07-12, 08:29 AM
Bump! Anyone else interested?

JeenLeen
2017-07-12, 08:44 AM
This sounds like something I'd really enjoy doing for fun (and even getting enough ideas to be able to cover a lunch would be a nice bonus), but I feel somewhat cautious given an NDA and real life info.

Would anyone else you are working with from this forum be willing to post and say "yeah, I think this dude is cool"?
Also, by 'digital signature', do I need any software to do that? I tried once to digitally sign a PDF, and never figured out how to get it to work.

As a side note, I've helped homebrew several settings' magic systems with friends, some of which we ran viable games with. Usually d10-based stuff, but the experience should port over well.

I hope I don't give any offense (and at least you get a 'bump' by me asking.) :smallbiggrin:

Varen_Tai
2017-07-12, 09:13 AM
Ha! I'm totally not offended. These are reasonable questions/concerns, and in fact, I am laying odds that most everyone else is thinking the same thing.

I should clarify - by digital signing, I mean type your name into the document and send it back to me. Nothing fancy schmancy.

I've been on the board for a very long time, but I'm not as active as I used to be. In fact, I used to run two campaigns here years ago, one called Redemption and one called A Paladin's Heart. I don't know if anyone lurking around recalls either of these.

I try to be a pretty stand up guy, and I certainly won't abuse any info you give me. I'm still friends with some of my players from a long time ago and we'll talk occasionally to see how things are going. So you're more likely to end up with a RL friend than anything else by jumping on. :elan:

Anyhow, feel free to ask more questions! I'm happy to do my best to answer.

JeenLeen
2017-07-12, 10:00 AM
How do you define 'viable' ideas?

I'm guessing it's ideas that seem acceptable for the setting. I think it's reasonable that, if I submit 100 ideas, you could reject a fair amount of them due to me misunderstanding the system (especially with my first batch of submissions) and/or them just not fitting for one odd reason or another.
(Also want you to know that I don't expect to get compensation for every idea, since I realize some won't be viable.)

How many others are currently on the project?

Varen_Tai
2017-07-12, 10:14 AM
I will give everyone a primer on the system, along with some examples, that should make it clear what is viable and what isn't. It should clear out 95% of the non-viable ideas, and anything non-viable in one area may be viable in another.

After the primer is given and a little time to get used to the ideas, I'll pay you for your honest efforts, not just viable ideas. I'm not looking to disqualify your work, I'd rather encourage it. This is assuming that 95% or so of your ideas are viable. If you're totally off, then probably not.

I've got one other person from this board so far who is interested, and I'm also engaging some of my other friends and even my stepkids and some of their friends (the ones who are interested). The latter won't be on the email thread, but any of my friends who want to help will be.

I recognize that because of the RL info and the NDA, there will be many folks who will opt out, and that's fine. I don't need a ton of people, just a bunch of ideas. :smallwink:

I am only paying people that sign up from GitP, not my stepkids/friends or my own friends.

JeenLeen
2017-07-12, 03:47 PM
Sounds good. I've sent you a PM.

(Figured I'd post this here in addition to the PM in case anyone else was interested, but wanted to see another person invested before sending interest.)

Varen_Tai
2017-07-12, 03:58 PM
Sounds good. I've sent you a PM.

(Figured I'd post this here in addition to the PM in case anyone else was interested, but wanted to see another person invested before sending interest.)

Great! Email sent. :)

Varen_Tai
2017-07-14, 11:36 AM
I've got three takers so far, anyone else interested? This is seriously fun stuff, y'all. The magic primer is close to 20 pages long because the system is so rich and deep. It'll getchyer home-brewin' brains moving in some neat directions! :elan:

Dorni
2017-07-15, 12:12 AM
Varen!? Man, its been awhile. I'd love to help you out. It was a blast shopping ideas for your Redemptions game.

Varen_Tai
2017-07-15, 12:46 AM
Good to see you, Dorni! Not many folks from way back still around, eh? It'll be good to have you onboard.

khadgar567
2017-07-15, 01:56 AM
I like to help to and eventual use this in my setting if you gents dont mind?

Varen_Tai
2017-07-15, 08:19 AM
I like to help to and eventual use this in my setting if you gents dont mind?

First, you'd have to wait until I give you the go ahead, which could be some time. There's an NDA for a reason. :smallamused:

Second, I'm a long ways from being able to codify this into a game format. It may work well, but it's pretty expansive, and if the Primer is 20 pages, the magic system(s) would need an entire rulebook just to get it pinned down properly.

But if you're willing to wait to implement it and maybe even start some of the work to transition it to a game setting (since that's not my focus right now), you're welcome to join. PM me again and let me know.

khadgar567
2017-07-15, 08:50 AM
First, you'd have to wait until I give you the go ahead, which could be some time. There's an NDA for a reason. :smallamused:

Second, I'm a long ways from being able to codify this into a game format. It may work well, but it's pretty expansive, and if the Primer is 20 pages, the magic system(s) would need an entire rulebook just to get it pinned down properly.

But if you're willing to wait to implement it and maybe even start some of the work to transition it to a game setting (since that's not my focus right now), you're welcome to join. PM me again and let me know.
Already pmed once but pinging you again