PDA

View Full Version : Weaponizing the DMG

poolio
2017-07-10, 05:22 PM
So magic swords and other arcane damage dealers seem to usually cause the most clamoring and in fighting amongst parties,

But you never really see much arguing on who's gonna get the flask of endless water, the immovable rod, or the portable tower, all items I've gotten "stuck with" that i later used to terrifying effectiveness, much to the dismay of my dm.

For example, the tower was used to singlehandedly decimate over 80 kobolds in two-three rounds, the thing was so useful for fighting, that eventually the dm had it destroyed in an encounter, which i agreed had to be done, i was just having to much fun with it.

So how about you guys and gals? What seemingly useless items have you found a way to turn into weapons of mass destruction?

ATHATH
2017-07-10, 05:28 PM
Okay, so what you do is, you take a ruler and tape it to the back of your DMG- Oh.

Nevermind, carry on with your thread.

Unoriginal
2017-07-10, 05:37 PM
So magic swords and other arcane damage dealers seem to usually cause the most clamoring and in fighting amongst parties,

But you never really see much arguing on who's gonna get the flask of endless water, the immovable rod, or the portable tower, all items I've gotten "stuck with" that i later used to terrifying effectiveness, much to the dismay of my dm.

Really? I've mostly heard of people loving to use that kind of items in interesting ways.

So how about you guys and gals? What seemingly useless items have you found a way to turn into weapons of mass destruction?

I would hardly call the Flask of Endless Water, the Immovable Rod or the Portable Tower "seemingly useless". They are well-known powerful items.

But if you want an anecdote (the game is Pathfinder, sorry, not 5e, but...):

One day I swung by my old gaming club for a game session, and got to borrow a character. It was an elf duelist who for some reason had a frog mask that could project a long tongue and bring enemies to the wearer, or bring the wearer to the enemy if the enemy was too big.

So, first combat, in the forest, the party is fighting a giant four-legged beast who's running around and trying to bite everyone's face off. Everyone do their actions, and the beast is obviously pretty tough.

When comes my turn, I use the elf's frog mask to project the tongue, get propelled in direction of the big beast, and with an Acrobatics roll lands on its neck. I then proceed to put my weapons in his eyes, blinding it.

Blacky the Blackball
2017-07-10, 05:49 PM
When we realised that you can fit a Broom of Flying into a Quiver or Ehlonna, it transformed our game.

Now, whenever the party is traveling long distances we simply hold our our hands over the quivers strapped to our legs and say "Accio Broom" in unison to summon the brooms out of them - and then fly off in formation like a quidditch team.

Only 1,000gp per party member for the two items; and it doesn't even need an attunement slot.

Until that point, I don't think anyone had ever bothered with a Quiver of Ehlonna - certainly not as a place to put arrows.

Naanomi
2017-07-10, 05:53 PM
We had an Adamantine Tower Shield of Sizing, which had all kinds of utility... boat on the acid river, portable cover, hallway barricade... we tried to sovereign-glue it to an immovable rod but the GM said it couldn't resize that way; or else we would have had even more fun with it

Gryndle
2017-07-10, 06:08 PM
see, my players would much rather have the decanter of endless water, immovable rod or daern's instant death-star I mean tower.
And I know that as soon as I hand out one of these items they are going to think up new and interesting ways of making me regret it.

sometimes I wish they would just be satisfied with a +3 sword of whateverness.

but that is part of what I love about my group and this game

2017-07-10, 06:10 PM
The easiest way to weaponize the DMG is to use Wish+Simulacrum shenanigans while within your DM's thrown weapon range. :smalltongue:

Kane0
2017-07-10, 06:26 PM
I dunno, decanter of endless water with dust of sneezing and choking mixed in? Seal it shut using an immovable rod for a nasty pressure hose perhaps.

Necklace of adaption + bag of tricks (skunk)?

Possibly an obscure way to use sending stones to remotely activate other items one is attached to? Would be cool with a Horn of Valhalla or Necklace of Fireballs

Apparatus of kwalish + 'improvements' (horseshoes of speed, wings of flying, mounted gem of brightness/alchemy jug, etc)

LaserFace
2017-07-10, 06:41 PM
Okay, so what you do is, you take a ruler and tape it to the back of your DMG- Oh.

Nevermind, carry on with your thread.

Came here to say this.

Sirithhyando
2017-07-11, 06:57 AM

What? At the table i play, immovable rod is the most searched for item ! The best one ! Let's just say the wyvern that got us in the air came to an abrupt end :smallcool:
Of if you want to turn this very evil, place it in the mouth of a huge flying beast... if it goes forward, it might be stuck for a long while in the air :smallbiggrin: (of course, the rod can be move with a sufficient strengh check, but still, might give a lot of trouble.
From all the magic items we've had, this one would probably be the one we'd cry most at losing.

And the endless water... it's simply endless fun :smallbiggrin:

Jaxter Gronaldi
2017-07-11, 07:46 AM
This ain't mine, but here goes.

Forewarning: the Dm houseruled that bags of holding were infinant, to avoid inventory jenga.

The players got a Bag Of Holding. They bought a Bottle Of Air. Bottle of Air in Bag of Holding. They built a Warded And Guarded BASE in the Boh. The only person who needed to walk was the barb. BOOM

Oramac
2017-07-11, 11:12 AM
The easiest way to weaponize the DMG is to use Wish+Simulacrum shenanigans while within your DM's thrown weapon range. :smalltongue:

Only if your DM is proficient in improvised weapons. :smalltongue:

Gryndle
2017-07-11, 11:38 AM
Only if your DM is proficient in improvised weapons. :smalltongue:

I am :smalltongue: my oversized Dice of Throwing are still an object of fear at my table.

JackPhoenix
2017-07-11, 06:59 PM
I am :smalltongue: my oversized Dice of Throwing are still an object of fear at my table.

My friend forged Die of Doom. Forged... it was made from solid steel. It was only a prop... actually rolling it led to holes and gashes in the table surface.

Gryndle
2017-07-12, 01:56 AM
My friend forged Die of Doom. Forged... it was made from solid steel. It was only a prop... actually rolling it led to holes and gashes in the table surface.

I would love to have something like that. but I would be afraid to throw it at anyone. or even use on our new gaming mat, which is in a frame under glass, so we can use any kind of marker on it and it either wipes off or washes off with alchohol or glass cleaner.

My 5 oversized d20 that I occasionally pop a troublesome or sleeping player with gets enough attention as is. Actually, since my last change in players I don't think I've had to nail anyone with the dice.....I think I'm buying pizza for them next game night

ShneekeyTheLost
2017-07-12, 02:52 AM
Bag of Devouring. One of the most insanely powerful magic items out there. My GM thought to give me one as a cursed item, and boy did he regret it!

If you stick your hand in, you have a 50% chance of being sucked in. If you start your turn in it, you are *GONE*. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

The key here is having access to Charm. In 3.5, it wasn't too hard to get your DC's up to the point where they could never fail. In 5e, as a Bard, you can pick up one of the Instruments to give opponents disadvantage on their save.

"Oh hey there, I want to give you some gold, but I'm a little busy at the moment. But you're my friend, I trust you, you can just take it out of my bag here."

turns any charm effect into a save-or-dead effect which does not leave corpses. Also a convenient way to get rid of BBEG's in a way that makes it extremely difficult to come back, as the whole body is completely and utterly destroyed, meaning you need a True Res to come back.