PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Melee Warfan Bard?

Penelomeeg
2017-07-10, 09:10 PM
I'm entering a 3.5 game for the first time in I don't even remember how long. So naturally I decided to build a complicated mechanical archetype that I had no idea how to pull off for flavor purposes.

The character will be weilding a war fan (exotic weapon from oriental adventures) and start out as a normal support bard who slowly becomes more martially adept.

I would prefer a Dex based build, and am playing a human.

My stats as rolled are 18, 16, 14, 13, 12, 9

I'd really appreciate any advice from feats, multiclassing, and any other build options. We're playing a modified Age of Worms campaign so this will be a level 20 build.

Fuzzy McCoy
2017-07-12, 05:28 PM
Hmm...

I'd suggest going down a standard dragonfire inspiration build. Unfortunately, the war fan does almost nothing for you, since it only works in the first round of combat, and you usually want to be starting inspire courage that first round. You may also want to take a level of fighter early on to grab one of weapon finesse/exotic weapon proficiency, so you can operate effectively. If you want more skill points, take martial rogue instead of fighter.

Going martial is usually a matter of taking levels in crusader or warblade and taking song of the white raven. That also means you don't need a super high charisma - 14 is more than enough. Your highest attribute should be dex, and of course more con is better.

Darrin
2017-07-13, 09:59 AM
Would you be willing to consider switching to a collapsing crescent fan from Sandstorm? It works after the first round... actually, it gives you a +4 untyped attack bonus whenever you attack a flat-footed opponent.

There are several ways to add Dex to damage, but unfortunately only one of them works with crescent fans: the Hit-and-Run fighter ACF in Drow of the Underdark. Shadow Blade might work with the Aptitude weapon property on the crescent fan, but some DMs might shoot that down.

A Bardblade build with Dragonfire Inspiration and Martial Study to pick up Cloak of Deception might be worth considering. You could be invisible every other round.

The Viscount
2017-07-13, 11:41 AM
Since the fan is slashing and held in one hand, you might consider Snowflake Wardance.