PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Orcs, Revised [Race]

JNAProductions
2017-07-10, 11:34 PM
Ability Score Increase-Str or Con increases by 1.

Speed-30'

Darkvision-60'

Relentless Endurance-As the PHB.

Subraces

Savage Orcs

Ability Score Increases-Str and Con increase by 1 each

Savage Attacks-As the PHB

Menacing-Gain Intimidate Proficiency

Noble Orcs

Ability Score Increase-Any two mental stats increase by 1 each

Poised-Once per short rest, you may negate any disadvantage you are suffering for a turn

Artful And Thoughtful-Gain proficiency in any one set of artisan's tools and Persausion

Glimmerling Orcs

Ability Score Increase-Increase Dex by 2

Fast-35' move speed

Improved Darkvision-90'

Arcane Orcs

Ability Score Increase-Increase Int by 2

Cantrip-Any one Wizard cantrip. Int is your casting mod.

Doom Of Damocles-Once per short rest, you may mark a target within 30' as a bonus action. This lasts until the end of your next turn. While marked, they have a -1d4 penalty to any saves they make against your effects.

solidork
2017-07-11, 01:16 PM
What about Doom of Damocles giving you a bonus to spell attack rolls against them instead of penalizing saves? It feels more aggressive (which fits my personal conception of what an orc is like, ymmv) and also is potentially less dangerous, since attack roll spells rarely instantly end a fight the way a failed saving throw can.

JBPuffin
2017-07-11, 01:54 PM
What about Doom of Damocles giving you a bonus to spell attack rolls against them instead of penalizing saves? It feels more aggressive (which fits my personal conception of what an orc is like, ymmv) and also is potentially less dangerous, since attack roll spells rarely instantly end a fight the way a failed saving throw can.

I think it needs that danger level - it's single-target, 1/short rest, and can very easily do nothing on a bad d4 roll. Plus, it feels like a curse, which is a very orcish thing.

All in all, these seem fine. Probably equal to the tiefling variants, if not better for several builds.

zylodrizzt
2017-07-11, 08:24 PM
I really thought we would use volos orcs as the base. Actually didn't expect surfaces lol

KarlMarx
2017-07-11, 08:50 PM
Question: Is Doom of Damocles rolled when you use it or when the target saves, and does the player know the result?

JNAProductions
2017-07-11, 08:52 PM
Question: Is Doom of Damocles rolled when you use it or when the target saves, and does the player know the result?

When you impose the save. And yes.