PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Channel Energy Question

ATHATH
2017-07-11, 02:50 AM
Can the Call Cold/Channel Energy ability granted by the Arctic domain fuel the Channeling Force feat?

Call Cold (Su): You can channel energy (as a cleric of your druid level) a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier, but only to heal creatures with the cold subtype or to command them (similar to using the Command Undead feat against undead). You can take other feats that add to this ability, such as Extra Channel and Improved Channel, but not feats that alter this ability, such as Elemental Channel and Alignment Channel. The DC to save against this ability is equal to 10 + 1/2 your druid level + your Charisma modifier.

Channeling Force (Combat)
You distill your channeled energy into a sheen of force that surrounds your weapon for a limited time.

Prerequisites: Ability to cast at least one force spell, channel energy class feature.

Benefit: A swift action, you can expend one use of channel energy to grant your weapon attacks a bonus on damage rolls equal to the number of dice of your channel energy. This extra damage is force damage. This lasts for your next three weapon attacks or until the end of combat, whichever comes first.

Also, if I pick up Channel Energy from a domain that was granted to me by a class feature (like a Druid with the Arctic domain would), do I count has having a "Channel Energy class feature" for the purposes of feats and such?

Kurald Galain
2017-07-11, 03:08 AM
Yes, this works. Stated designer intent is that abilities that are more-or-less the same count as the same for the purpose of prerequisites. Arctic domain gives you a class feature to channel energy (as opposed to gaining channel from a feat or item), and the channel force feat gives you an extra new way to use this ability.

grarrrg
2017-07-11, 03:23 AM
Also, if I pick up Channel Energy from a domain that was granted to me by a class feature (like a Druid with the Arctic domain would), do I count has having a "Channel Energy class feature" for the purposes of feats and such?

Yes, this works. Stated designer intent is that abilities that are more-or-less the same count as the same for the purpose of prerequisites. Arctic domain gives you a class feature to channel energy (as opposed to gaining channel from a feat or item), and the channel force feat gives you an extra new way to use this ability.
In general I agree with you, but not in this specific case.

"Call Cold (Su): You can channel energy ...You can take other feats that add to this ability, such as Extra Channel and Improved Channel, but not feats that alter this ability, such as Elemental Channel and Alignment Channel."

What counts as "add" and what counts as "alter"?
Elemental Channel gives you the _option_ to to affect Outsiders. Options would seem more like an 'add', but since it's used as the 'nope' example, it means it's an alter.

Going by this, I'd say Channeling Force is more of an "alter", as you would not be using the original Channeling for its intended purpose.

ATHATH
2017-07-11, 12:08 PM

"Call Cold (Su): You can channel energy ...You can take other feats that add to this ability, such as Extra Channel and Improved Channel, but not feats that alter this ability, such as Elemental Channel and Alignment Channel."

What counts as "add" and what counts as "alter"?
Elemental Channel gives you the _option_ to to affect Outsiders. Options would seem more like an 'add', but since it's used as the 'nope' example, it means it's an alter.

Going by this, I'd say Channeling Force is more of an "alter", as you would not be using the original Channeling for its intended purpose.
Ah, but by some interpretations, Channeling Force doesn't actually alter Channel Energy- it is a completely separate ability that uses your uses of Channel Energy to power it, sort of like how, for Paladins, Channel Energy is powered by Lay On Hands uses but is a separate ability. Thus, that "but not feats that alter this ability" text refers to stuff that, say, increases your Channel Energy damage against undead or the like.

Kurald Galain
2017-07-11, 12:41 PM

I see your point, but do not agree with this interpretation.

To look at it from a different perspective, do you think this would be overpowered? Personally I think this is a fairly weak feat so I have no problem with the more lenient interpretation.

grarrrg
2017-07-11, 06:55 PM
I see your point, but do not agree with this interpretation.

To look at it from a different perspective, do you think this would be overpowered? Personally I think this is a fairly weak feat so I have no problem with the more lenient interpretation.

I have no problem with the power level, most of the "not channeling-channeling" abilities are extremely weak/situational to begin with.

My main issue is the vagueness behind the "add to" vs. "alter" text. Just where, exactly, are we supposed to draw the line?