PDA

View Full Version : Sphere Caster + Reach Spell?

SangoProduction
2017-07-11, 08:53 AM
So, Reach Spell takes +1 spell level, but increases the range...category (?) by 1 as well (EX: close to medium).

So, for 1 spell point, a sphere caster can use that too. Problem is, most spheres can do it for free, costing a talent instead. And if you're short on talents, then you are probably a partial caster, and are short on points as well. And you can get a bonus talent for a feat.

So, this would probably be best if you are a generalist sphere caster, with many different spheres. So that way, you don't have to spend a permanent talent on each and every sphere, and are only spending the spell point if you actually need it. And I guess it has use with the Life sphere as well, which caps out at Close range.

Most of my concepts revolve around 1-2, and occasionally 3, spheres (barring the emaciated spheres like Weather, and Nature's mini-spheres). Would it be worth it to take Reach Spell, with so few spheres, over spending the feat on Extra Talent to permanently increase the range of a sphere?

digiman619
2017-07-11, 09:01 AM
So, Reach Spell takes +1 spell level, but increases the range...category (?) by 1 as well (EX: close to medium).

So, for 1 spell point, a sphere caster can use that too. Problem is, most spheres can do it for free, costing a talent instead. And if you're short on talents, then you are probably a partial caster, and are short on points as well. And you can get a bonus talent for a feat.

So, this would probably be best if you are a generalist sphere caster, with many different spheres. So that way, you don't have to spend a permanent talent on each and every sphere, and are only spending the spell point if you actually need it. And I guess it has use with the Life sphere as well, which caps out at Close range.

Most of my concepts revolve around 1-2, and occasionally 3, spheres (barring the emaciated spheres like Weather, and Nature's mini-spheres). Would it be worth it to take Reach Spell, with so few spheres, over spending the feat on Extra Talent to permanently increase the range of a sphere?

There's also the fact that using a metamagic sphere ability takes longer; so if you don't have a problem for taking a full-round action whenever you need the extra range, Reach Spell may be more effective than spending the varios enhanced range talents, yes.