PDA

View Full Version : 0 Damage Sorcerer Build Help

Emay Ecks
2017-07-11, 10:49 AM
In a naval campaign I play with some friends, our current sorcerer can no longer play due to scheduling conflicts. I invited another friend to join us mid-campaign (level 5), and he's decided he wants to play a Scourge Aasimar Favored Soul Sorcerer. He's also decided he wants to be a pacifist, and to never directly deal damage. He is more than happy to use spells to disable enemies or enhance allies, as long as he isn't the one rolling the damage dice.

I agreed to help him build his character, but I've never built a pacifist before. Are there any spells/feats/magic items that would work particularly well with this character?
Our dungeon master is letting the player start with one uncommon magic item from the DMG of his choice.

Our party also contains:
lvl 5 Half-elf Coast Druid
lvl 5 Elf Open-hand Monk
lvl 5 Warforged Eldritch Knight
lvl 5 Half-Orc College of Valor Bard

His stats are (before level 4 ASI/feat) :
Str 10
Dex 16
Con 17
Int 11
Wis 12
Cha 19

Thank you very much for your help!

Spore
2017-07-11, 11:19 AM
The character is built short of the feat choice and spell selection. I'd go for a blunt Con+1/Cha+1, the item either Winged Boots or Bag of Holding.

Spells:
0:
Mage Hand
Mending
Minor Illusion
Prestidigitation
Light

1:
Charm Person
Mage Armor
Sleep (not optimal but you CAN upcast it)

2:
Enhance Ability
Hold Person

3:
Haste

But honestly someone helping people kill others and thinking he is a pacifist is a bit mental tbh. But maybe the player is aware of this flaw of the character.

FaceofBo
2017-07-11, 11:24 AM
Fog Cloud, Darkness, Haste, Slow, True Strike, Charm Person, Sleep, Blindness/Deafness, Crown of Maddness, Enlarge/Reduce, Hold person, and Web, these are going to be his Bread and Butter spells. There are plenty of really useful non-damaging spells like Hold Person and Web that will make your front liners veeery happy.

MadCircus
2017-07-11, 11:27 AM
In a naval campaign...

The problem I see with this approach is: What does the character do when out of spells/trying to conserve them? The first thing that comes to mind would be cantrips or some sort of physical attack. :smallconfused:
Otherwise, as a buff/healer/controller this character will be able to cover effectively.

Rysto
2017-07-11, 11:34 AM
It's impossible to build an effective character that deals 0 damage and your friend is likely going to be very disappointed with the results of this build. He absolutely can build a character that takes no levelled spells that deal damage, but the problem is that he can't burn a spell slot every round, due to most of his spells requiring concentration and his limited number of spell slots. What he would need is an at-will ability that allows him to remain useful in combat, and his choices here are limited to damage-dealing cantrips. His only other option would be to continually take the Dodge option, but that's very unlikely to be all that satisfying for him.

Emay Ecks
2017-07-11, 12:25 PM
The problem I see with this approach is: What does the character do when out of spells/trying to conserve them? The first thing that comes to mind would be cantrips or some sort of physical attack. :smallconfused:
Otherwise, as a buff/healer/controller this character will be able to cover effectively.

It's impossible to build an effective character that deals 0 damage and your friend is likely going to be very disappointed with the results of this build. He absolutely can build a character that takes no levelled spells that deal damage, but the problem is that he can't burn a spell slot every round, due to most of his spells requiring concentration and his limited number of spell slots. What he would need is an at-will ability that allows him to remain useful in combat, and his choices here are limited to damage-dealing cantrips. His only other option would be to continually take the Dodge option, but that's very unlikely to be all that satisfying for him.

I've talked to my friend about this, and he says he plans on using minor illusion to distract enemies (sounds of reinforcements coming in from behind them, sound of explosions, small fearsome beasts, etc), use Message to talk into an enemy's ear pretending he's the voice of a god (he'd probably take the Actor feat if he was going to do this), use the help action, or use a consumable item on an ally or enemy (healer's kit, healing potion, ball bearings, throwing oil onto an enemy (as long as he isn't the one to set the fire, he's ok with it)). He's fairly creative and not too worried about missing out on the 2d8-2d10 damage cantrips will deal at level 5.

SharkForce
2017-07-11, 12:43 PM

not *quite* true.

first of all, there's always the help action. (technically, the sorcerer could theoretically also grapple, but that's probably a terrible idea and i don't generally recommend it).

second, there are some options in the PHB. not a lot, but some; mage hand to place a bag of marbles somewhere (or sometimes other objects), or minor illusion to provide false cover or to make a small area look dangerous. if favoured soul allows cleric cantrips (can't remember) he could pick up guidance and resistance as well.

third, the elemental evil supplement introduced some options. they're far from ideal, but they do exist; the gust cantrip can allow small repositions (like shoving a person off a boat). the mold earth cantrip can allow you to reshape the battlefield if you're on appropriate terrain. given this is for a naval campaign, shape water may be useful as well. control flames can be used to keep your own ship from burning quite effectively (fire has always been a powerful threat in naval combat, i see no reason it wouldn't be in D&D). or to burn objects, though if there are people in those objects i imagine the sorcerer wouldn't do that.

now, this isn't necessarily always going to be as effective as just spamming firebolt (and certainly won't be as useful as someone who can do those things *and* also use firebolt when appropriate). but it is possible to contribute with at-will options.

in any event, aoe non-damaging control spells with careful spell to keep your allies from being trapped or whatever seems like a good idea. when enemies have a limited amount of space due to being packed into a ship, something like a web spell can *really* ruin their day. especially when your own party then proceed to board their ship and walk through the webs like they're not even there :)

Sir cryosin
2017-07-11, 01:28 PM
In a naval campaign I play with some friends, our current sorcerer can no longer play due to scheduling conflicts. I invited another friend to join us mid-campaign (level 5), and he's decided he wants to play a Scourge Aasimar Favored Soul Sorcerer. He's also decided he wants to be a pacifist, and to never directly deal damage. He is more than happy to use spells to disable enemies or enhance allies, as long as he isn't the one rolling the damage dice.

I agreed to help him build his character, but I've never built a pacifist before. Are there any spells/feats/magic items that would work particularly well with this character?
Our dungeon master is letting the player start with one uncommon magic item from the DMG of his choice.

Our party also contains:
lvl 5 Half-elf Coast Druid
lvl 5 Elf Open-hand Monk
lvl 5 Warforged Eldritch Knight
lvl 5 Half-Orc College of Valor Bard

His stats are (before level 4 ASI/feat) :
Str 10
Dex 16
Con 17
Int 11
Wis 12
Cha 19

Thank you very much for your help!

I would switch Dez and Str then take Athletics then the feat Brawny to grapple and push people over borax.
Spell warding bond, shield of fate, bless, healing word,
Magic item Ever smoke bottle

Khrysaes
2017-07-11, 01:46 PM
There is a Paladin Oath in UA for Pacifist Paladin. Seeing as both are cha based characters, and Paladins can get that wonderful Aura at level 6, which could be useful in buffing allies, it may be an idea to look into that as for a sorcadin build.

Alternatively I would suggest taking a couple levels of Life cleric, to make those heals even better. and for heavy armor.

FaceofBo
2017-07-11, 01:53 PM
There is a Paladin Oath in UA for Pacifist Paladin.

Can attest, Pacifist Paladin is real strong and most likely what he's looking for. Lots of charms, when he reduces someone to 0 with a bludgeoning weapon they instead become charmed by him for a minute, lots of charm spells and abilities but can still hit like a truck. Ask your friend if he's willing to deal out the final blow if it means that they don't die (It's the Oath of Redemption).

Emay Ecks
2017-07-11, 02:06 PM
There is a Paladin Oath in UA for Pacifist Paladin. Seeing as both are cha based characters, and Paladins can get that wonderful Aura at level 6, which could be useful in buffing allies, it may be an idea to look into that as for a sorcadin build.

Alternatively I would suggest taking a couple levels of Life cleric, to make those heals even better. and for heavy armor.

The campaign does allow UA content with DM approval, and he said redemption paladin is a no-go. So while it does fit the vibe my friend is going for, it's not allowed. I did suggest putting a level or two into life cleric, and my friend thinks that could be a lot of fun.

Spore
2017-07-11, 02:06 PM
Also don't ignore the fact that combining "Magic Initiate" with Spare the Dying (Guidance and Bless) allows your character to subdue enemies (get them to 0/1 HP) and then stabilize them. Get Sleight of Hand, some rope and manacles.

Sirdar
2017-07-11, 02:31 PM
Would he enjoy Armor of Agathys? Porcupine damage paired with Blade Ward if he is stuck in melee for some reason.

Don't know if it is worth a feat (magic initate), but perhaps he could add the spell to the sorcerer spell list if the DM approves for this particular build.

Edit: I realize that 0 damage is 0 damage, but you can argue that AoA is self-inflicted by the attacker.

FaceofBo
2017-07-11, 02:32 PM
The campaign does allow UA content with DM approval, and he said redemption paladin is a no-go. So while it does fit the vibe my friend is going for, it's not allowed. I did suggest putting a level or two into life cleric, and my friend thinks that could be a lot of fun.

Well that's disappointing, Redemption Pally is so much fun. There's also the Way of Tranquility Monk which could be a fun Multi-class or just pure if he isn't attached to spells. It really plays up the pacifistic side of the character, and encourages him to find new ways to stop an enemy. I'd also talk to your DM about his ruling on Non-Lethal damage (Cause technically it doesn't exist in 5e anymore which is dumb), because that it another path he could take, more subduing rather than killing and so on.

solidork
2017-07-11, 03:15 PM
Also don't ignore the fact that combining "Magic Initiate" with Spare the Dying (Guidance and Bless) allows your character to subdue enemies (get them to 0/1 HP) and then stabilize them. Get Sleight of Hand, some rope and manacles.

He's going to be a Favored Soul, so he can just pick those. He also would want to pick some 1st level cleric spells at the least, they are very strong with metamagic.

Twinning Shield of Faith and Command would be very exciting to me as a support character.

Naanomi
2017-07-11, 03:36 PM
Why scourge aasimar? Their schtick is AoE damage...

In any case your DEX looks high enough to carry nets to throw at people in rounds you are not casting something else

8wGremlin
2017-07-11, 04:04 PM
Drow
* no need to sleep, meditate instead of long rests, you get 4 short rests, for every long rest that you meditate in. (see coffeelock)
* convert all unused warlock spell slots to Sorcery points, and then to convert them to Sorcery Spell slots

Tactics
* Twin cast Warding bond on two targets and half damage goes to them, and to you
* Use Cure light wounds (which is maxed due to Gift of the Ever-Living Ones) on your self to keep you up
* You can twin other spells (see spell section, spells marked with t can be twinned)
* You have a number of defence spells, "If you seek to harm me or my friends come no closer or you will be harmed", (Spirit Guardians)
"Hurt me and you will be harmed", (Armour of Agathys")
* You have inspiring leader feat to add extra temp hp to your other party members
* You also have Fiendish Vigor to give yourself more temp hp, as well as armour of agathys
* Note that you should be casting most of these through your sorcerer slots
* You can give all your party members familiars with the ceremony + find familiar combo

## Levels ##
1. Sorcerer 1st level - Favoured Soul
2. Warlock 1st level - Hexblade (gain medium armour, curse)
3. Warlock 2nd level -
4. Sorcerer 2nd level -
5. Sorcerer 3rd level -
6. Sorcerer 4th level - feat - Inspired Leader
7. Sorcerer 5th level -
8. Warlock 3nd level - chainlock

## Metamagic: ##
Twin(spell level pts)
Your choice

## Spells ##
### Cantrips: ##
W: Create bonfire
W: Minor Illusion
S: Guidance
S: Spare the dying
S: Prestidigitation
S: Mending
S: Control Flames

### Spells known: ###
#### Sorcerer: (6) ####
Cure light wounds (1, t, free), Shield of Faith (1, t), Ceremony (1,t), Warding bond (2, t), Hold Person (2, t), Haste (3, t), Sacred Guardian (3)
Find familiar (1, free, ritual)

#### Warlock: (4) ####
Shield (w1), Protection from Evil and Good (w1, t), Armour of Agathys (w1), Mirror Image (w2)

### Spells slots ###
#### Sorcerer ####
1st: 4
2nd: 3
3rd: 2

#### Warlock ####
Known: 2 cantrips, 4 spells

2/short rest: 2nd level.

### Invocation: (2) ####
Fiendish Vigor, Gift of the Ever-Living Ones (switched at 3rd)

smcmike
2017-07-11, 04:08 PM
But honestly someone helping people kill others and thinking he is a pacifist is a bit mental tbh. But maybe the player is aware of this flaw of the character.

A wizard might use magic to kill, but a gentleman never would.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-07-11, 04:12 PM
This might sound crazy, but I think a zero damage sorcerer would be innately more useful than a blaster sorcerer. Control and utility spells are leagues above damage spells in usefulness generally. Yes, there will be plenty of turns where the sorcerer will be doing relatively lackluster things where a different one might be throwing a firebolt, but let's be honest here- firebolt is lame. The damage is low, there's very little support for it, and it's got no interesting side effects.

Mathematically, I believe using guidance on a major DPS teammate over tossing a firebolt isn't going to be doing you any favors, but it's not so bad as to be unworkable. And reserving spell slots for team buffs, shutdowns, and utility spells is a much better use of their resources.

Verdict- probably a trap pre-5, but comes into its own once you get 3rd level spells. Which they're going to have.