PDA

View Full Version : Ranger/Monk/Sorceror build help

spezbaby
2017-07-11, 11:23 AM
Hi, I'm looking at making a mountain terrain guardian with earthquake/thunder focused powers. Any thoughts on a build, race, etc?

I was thinking Ranger/Monk with a dip in playtest Stone Sorceror.

Clone
2017-07-11, 12:29 PM
How do you envision the character fighting, acting or visually looking? That'd depend on how you build them. An earth-based guardian could be what you mention, but also be a Druid/ Ranger multiclass as druids can wear medium armor, casting earth-based spells and even turning yourself into an earth elemental

Specter
2017-07-11, 01:55 PM
Seconding Druid/Ranger, probably an Earth Genasi one.

Khrysaes
2017-07-11, 02:12 PM
Goliath would be a good race too.

Does powerful build remain in wild shape in 5e, or other racials? I haven't looked into wild shape that closely.

spezbaby
2017-07-11, 02:29 PM
How do you envision the character fighting, acting or visually looking? That'd depend on how you build them. An earth-based guardian could be what you mention, but also be a Druid/ Ranger multiclass as druids can wear medium armor, casting earth-based spells and even turning yourself into an earth elemental

Was leaning towards primarily using spears, both 1-handed and ranged with an Japanese/L5R Crab Clan feel.

Liked the idea of monk/armourless.

tahnks,
spezbaby

spezbaby
2017-07-11, 02:31 PM
Seconding Druid/Ranger, probably an Earth Genasi one.

Like the Ranger, but I have a real joy roadblock when it comes to druids. Not sure why.

Desteplo
2017-07-11, 02:34 PM
If that's all your looking for from monk than lvl1dip is all you need. Then lvl5 ranger for extra attack, then 10 druid to turn into elemental, though druid itself has cool earthy type spells

-if you want to stick to sorcerer they get unarmored bonus too. Though stonr sorcerer unarmored doesn't stack with other unarmored features. None of them do

BestPlayer
2017-07-11, 02:40 PM
Do any of these weird multi-class builds ever get used or are they all just flights of fancy like all the debate over what's the best capstone ability?

Desteplo
2017-07-11, 04:22 PM
A theme is a theme. Building to theme only requires a certain amount of abilities. The rest can do whatever

GlenSmash!
2017-07-11, 05:15 PM
If UA is allowed I say go 1 Monk for unarmored Defense, then Primeval Guardian. Re-fluff the Treelike form to a Stonelike form.

Specter
2017-07-11, 10:04 PM
Like the Ranger, but I have a real joy roadblock when it comes to druids. Not sure why.

Ok, I can get behind that (never played a Druid). In that case, I guess what you could do is grab Mage Armor instead of going Monk, because dipping Monk just for AC isn't worth it unless you can max both WIS and DEX (and since you're going Sorcerer you'll be busy with Charisma too).

Civis Mundi
2017-07-12, 02:13 PM
I would go with straight Stone Sorcerer myself. Multiclassing even one other class can seriously stunt your progression, trying to balance three classes will be a doozy. Stone Sorcerer gets you everything you need, really – earth and thunder spells, unarmored combat, martial weapon proficiency, et cetera.